Night cashing

Is night time Geocaching a good Idea? I think in night time geocaching you see less of what the hider has you there for and there is the potential to damage more of the surrounding enviornment, which gives the sport a bad name. Also alot of caches are in parks and parks are closed at night. Please respond to the answer that best coresponds to you view on this.

Giggles, Goofy, Grumpy & (Graceful.....Not)

Urban caches are not a good idea at night because you are out prowling around in bushes. However night caching tends to narrow your focus and certain caches are easier to find at night. No distractions.

It adds an element of fun but you do miss out on the scenery since all you have to work with is the moon and your flashlight.

The woods never close. If the park is closed, you are on your own.

None of the above. This poll is like those political polls that ask "do you favor welfare".

It is not a yes or no question. While you have a few other choices, at least one very rational choice is left out.

I like to cache at night. I hunt caches that are appropriate for night hunting. Common sense must be used.

Not all parks are closed at night- many are open till 10 o'clock, some till midnight. If a park is closed at night (or any other time) I stay out.

I don't see night caching as giving caching a bad name. If a person trespasses at night to find a cache, it is trespassing that is giving caching a bad name- day or night.

There is a very simple solution for this- obey posted regulations and heed no-trespassing signs.

I can't see where night caching is any more destructive of the environment than day caching. If anything, one is less likely to bushwhack as much knowing they can't see the trail and might get lost.

A cacher is usually much less "in view" at night and needn't be as concerned about giving away the cache to outsiders.

While it is true that sometimes a person looking for a cache will seem more "suspicious" at night (in some locations), a little common sense in how the hunt is conducted goes a long way toward avoiding being "approached" about one's activities.

As far as what the hider has there for you to see, many have little or nothing to begin with- they are just caches hidden because the hider though it was a cool hide. This is especially common in urban caches.

I am a night cacher. I pick my night caches carefully to avoid problems. I rate my cache hides as suitable for night caching when appropriate.

There is nothing wrong with caching at night per-se.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

It was 113* today. I'm caching at night if I can! Forget that dry heat garbage. It's hot. If I can ever get off my couch, I've got night caches planned in legal and safe areas for those of us who want to cache when it is hell out there.

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes

On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:

"Something hidden. Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --

"Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling , The Explorer 1898

If you trespass you are breaking the law.

However, just because you are wearing black, with a flashlight and are sneaking around in the woods or urban area does not mean you are breaking the law. Cops will try to harass you under the guise of "safety", but if they do not have probable cause (and they usually never do...) then they shouldn't even bother you.

:D

Use common sense at night.

A few months ago, there were 3 people around here (not cachers) hanging out by a dam at 3 AM snapping photos of themselves eating candy.... yes it sounds stupid, not illegal.

Well somebody saw the flash going off and immediately remembered the stuff about terrorists photographing bridges, dams, etc. - then called the cops.

The candy people ended up on the news for several days explaining what they were doing, even though they didn't really do anything wrong.....

I generally wouldn't cache at night - its hard enough to avoid poison ivy, bugs, snakes, holes, eye-poking-sticks, etc in the daylight. Maybe if I had night vision goggles....

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

It was 113* today. I'm caching at night if I can! Forget that dry heat garbage. It's hot. If I can ever get off my couch, I've got night caches planned in legal and safe areas for those of us who want to cache when it is hell out there.

Just as Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking stated: here in Arizona it gets HOT! If I can, I will always try to do a midnight-run to avoid the heat and the traffic.

Naturally, if a park is closed, or if night time caching may be a problem, I will avoid the cache until I can come back at a better time.

RandMan

My catagory was not on the poll:

'Only when I really, really want to be FTF'

I've night cached a few times in my caching carreer, and it is a very strange experience. with the dimming of the light, sound seems to become intensified and it is harder to get an auditory fix. For me, it is a bit thrilling and scary and fun at the same time.

But unlike others in my area that night cache all the time, I won't make a habit of it.

"Could be worse...could be raining"

I really like night caching. Especially those that are designed as such so you know that the area is suitable for it.

This one in WNY is the best cache I've done so far.

The only drawback was the poke in the eye with a sharp stick. I will take this opportunity to once again recommend safety glasses for night caching. It's all fun and games until someone pokes an eye out!

(I didn't really poke my eye out, but I did scratch the cornea.)

-Vb

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=60537 Well alot of thought went into my night cache,Can be hunted anytime,on a trail so it does not damage the enviroment,no one around but us locals,safe,sane and great to hunt,If you are ever in my neck of the woods lets go see GLO In the Dark

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE FOREST DOES NOT EVEN LIVE THERE*********WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS*GEOTRYAGAIN **1803-2003 "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://lewisclark.goeg.missouri.edu/index.shtml http://www.lapurchase.org http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

quote:
Originally posted by Criminal:

Geocaching does not damage the environment, so night caching cannot damage it more. I'm going to go out now and stamp the sh** out of a few ferns just because of this stupid poll. The environment will remain undamaged. icon_mad.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

LOL, LOL, LOL.

Oh man, you took the words right out of my mouth....LOL. I swear some people think Geocaching is like pouring motor oil into a pristine spring. It reminds me of the Blame America First crowd, they hate the country while professing to love it.... if you feel the potential for Geocaching to cause environmental damage is so high, why are you caching at all?????? Lighten up for goodness sakes, it's just Geocaching!

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Originally posted by Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking:

If I can ever get off my couch, I've got night caches planned in legal and safe areas for those of us who want to cache when it is hell out there.

The only things likely to be affected is gravel and a few insects. It won't hurt anything. And 91* is so much better than 113*

Just more paranoia.

Someone called the cops because they thought terrorists were photographing a dam in the middle of the night? And the police hassled them? Good grief! Don't they realize how very limited the range of a flash is? Someone taking photo on the sly wouldn't be doing it at night because one, the poor quality of the photo and two, the flash would be giving them away!!! dadgum, use some common sense.

We cache by the light of a flashlight whenever there is the need. We don't stop just because the Sun goes down. We try to obey all laws to the best of our ability. Though with that said, I can't say we haven't missed the sign that said "closed after dark" a time or two.

There's nothing wrong with flashlight caching. If you're going to tear up the area at night, you're going to tear it up in the light, as well. Either way, you don't care.

As for acting suspicious, we have a perfectly good explaination of what we are doing and, quite frankly, it's none of most people's business. This idea that "no one needs to be out at 3am" is BS. There are a lot of things that people don't need, but it's perfectly acceptable anyway.

Night caching is fine to do.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Just more paranoia.

Someone called the cops because they thought terrorists were photographing a _dam_ in the middle of the night? And the police hassled them? Good grief! Don't they realize how very limited the range of a flash is? Someone taking photo on the sly wouldn't be doing it at night because one, the poor quality of the photo and two, _the flash would be giving them away!!!_ dadgum, use some common sense.

We cache by the light of a flashlight whenever there is the need. We don't stop just because the Sun goes down. We try to obey all laws to the best of our ability. Though with that said, I _can't_ say we haven't missed the sign that said "closed after dark" a time or two.

There's nothing wrong with flashlight caching. If you're going to tear up the area at night, you're going to tear it up in the light, as well. Either way, you don't care.

As for acting suspicious, we have a perfectly good explaination of what we are doing and, quite frankly, it's none of most people's business. This idea that "no one _needs_ to be out at 3am" is BS. There are a lot of things that people don't _need_, but it's perfectly acceptable anyway.

Night caching is fine to do.

CR

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/72057_2000.gif

BINGO!!!

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

To each their own. Those who do it have to deal with what goes with it. As far as damaging the environment more, I don't know about that. Of course if someone is doing it in complete darkness, without a light, and are walking over a flower bed, then I can see it. But I would imagine there are some places where caching at night would be ok, when done wisely. Some people don't take notice or care for the environment during the day, so I don't think that whether if they do it in the dark or during lightness makes a difference. There are also places (parks ) that are closed during certain days. If a cacher was there in the middle of the day when it's closed, then it would still give a bad name.

The words above are my thoughts and do not necessarily represent the thoughts of others.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

When did this nonsensical paradigm start?!!?

quote:
Of course if someone is doing it in complete darkness, without a light, and are walking over a flower bed, then I can see it.

How does walking through a flowerbed damage the environment?!?! (Not to mention how someone would find a cache in the dark w/o a light!)

I guess your house was built on absolute wasteland and no plant or animal life was disturbed or killed during its construction. I guess you walk to work and are careful not to inadvertently squash any insects. Geocaching does not damage the environment!! Does anybody think before they start clacking their keyboard? I wanted to apologize for the asinine direction this thread went, but it really started that way. I hike, camp and enjoy many other activities in the outdoors, and sometimes a few plants will be broken, squashed, sacrificed, or killed in the process. Same for bugs and even a few animals that stray onto the paved surface. The environment remains undamaged.

Wake up everybody. Stop looking to cast the first stone; you are part of the problem by your thinking, or lack thereof.

The “you” in the above is not directed at any particular person or poster.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

A hearty 'right on' to all those who posted about their love for night caching. I will hunt for a cache at night if it is safe and legal to do so. Night caching takes a boring 1/1 hunt for tupperware and turns it into a real adventure. After a few hundred finds, you NEED some adventure to keep this interesting, and night caching is one of them. Over the holiday weekend, I took some folks to some of MY caches at night, just because it's fun. I could not find one of my own micros for 20 minutes without the aid of sunlight.

If anything, I am MORE conscious about the environment at night, due to safety and common sense. I step on fewer plants and bugs because I'm watching where I place each step. And I don't shed a tear for the plants and bugs that I do kill. Also, I'm more on the lookout for wildlife. Night caching is a whole different experience and I highly recommend it.

Of course, if the point of the cache is a gorgeous view, I'll save it for a sunny day. Duh.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:

How does walking through a flowerbed damage the environment?!?! (Not to mention _how_ someone would find a cache in the dark w/o a light!)

Criminal, that was stated in due about causing damage. A flowerbed is environment. Environment is everything around you. Bushwacking does cause damage to the environment. Yes we damage environment all the time, but the idea is not to cause anymore or the less amount possible.

As I stated, to each their own. If they can do it a responsible manner and not cause damage, then do it. It sounds like a great way to challenge. As far as the comment about doing it without a light. That was referring to an artificial light source, such as a flashlight, lantern etc. I imagine there are many people who traverse with just moonlight or perhaps even a streetlight if there is one around. That is getting to the area. Actually hunting the cache when in the immediate area is a different story.

Brian Wood

Woodsters Outdoors

http://www.woodsters.com

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

A flowerbed is environment. Environment is everything around you. Bushwacking does cause damage to the environment.

So if you step on a flower you damage the environment. What if a deer eats the flower? What if deer graze on grasses in a medow? Are they damaging the environment? Nature is in a constant state of flux, live things die and dead things feed live things. (Enter Elton John singing "The circle of life")

Stepping on a flower doesn't damage the environment. It's just that flowers are prettier when they're not squashed.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

LOL, oh man, this is just too much....hahahahaha. Putting the motor oil on the wood pile and setting it alight to find the night cache..... too good....lol.

It seems this is exactly what has resulted from the original post.... some gathered wood, some brought motor oil, some poured it on, and other lit it!!! Excellent.

The only problem is, the original post is flawed. There is NO evidence whatsoever that individuals caching at night is more damaging, illegal, or unsafe. I have only hunted one cache at night and it was due to the circumstances being just right as to opportunity, motive and means. I was out at night, the kids were not with me, I had a VERY good pair of night vision goggles, my GPSr and a cache to hunt. So I did. I went back to that same park one day during the daytime and wonder of wonders, I could not even tell I had been there except for my log entry... I was amazed! From what's been said here the entire park should have been clear cut and bulldozed into a pile due to my intrusion!

C'mon, let's not try and find new and improved ways to put caching into a certain tupperware container of a certain color put out for a certain amount of time in a certain type of place with NO difference whatsoever between one cache and the next.... how boring would that be???? Live a little, use an ammo can once in a while, make a night cache, put out a multi or a micro! LIVE!!!! Hunt a type of cache you normally wouldn't! Join with others and do a gang cache hunt!! Go to a few event caches and meet the other cachers and learn from them!!! What concepts!!

Try it, you'll like it!

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

Giggles & Goofy, I am in your neighbourhood and I night cache a lot.

In many instances I find it the best time to cache -- there are fewer or no people around (but not always) and it adds a completely different dimension to caches that are really easy during the day. I have cached at night with a number of local cachers and we always enjoy it. I have also night cached by myself many times.

Regarding damaging the area more, I just don't see that unless it is a person who is already going to do excessive damage during the day.

With regard to closed parks at night, I go anyway and have never run into any problems.

One cache that I did at night turned out to be quite exciting because their was a big group of teens partying there (there were no signs at this park saying that it was closed). You can read my log on this cache page.

Get in touch with me through my profile page and I'd be happy to do a few night caches with you.

I've cached at night, I loved it and I'd do it again and I dont care what others think, especially those who complain about it and have never gone on a night cache or a night hike.

Geocachers are not herds of elephants, we don't go out trampling everything in site to a pulp. In fact, every cacher I ever went caching with, took an extended effort to observe animals, help animals across a trail so they don't get crushed, took pics of flowers instead of picking them, and didn't cause much forest damage at all, probably less than the animals that live there.

I guess i should say i've never seen a flower bed in the woods either, they are those things outside my garage that the deer snack on. Wildflowers just grow, last time i checked no one had mulched the ones i saw growing yesterday while caching.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

I love caching at night. With my workshift, nighttime caching during the week is just about my only option. I've been harassed by a wannabe vigilante in recent weeks, but diligence and awareness of one's surroundings makes it much more difficult for someone to get the jump on you.

My favorite, but most frustrating night caching experience was in Payson looking for a 1.5/1.5 that turned into a 4.5/3 because of the heavy brush and abundance of cache cover. But what a reward it was actually finding the cache after a 45 minute search in otherwise absolute darkness. My Inova light made a huge difference in the search.

Brian

Team A.I.

More damage is done to nature by non-cahers than is done by All cachers put together.I see it every day here in the Forest.Road kills from the Humvees,and other very large gas burning road hogs hitting all them bugs, and drunks running off the road tearing up the Forest,Hunters putting 100,000 rounds of lead into those trees,that was just today,Methamphetamine producers dumping their waste,Acids,and Bases into the streams.Cars and trucks have killed more deer than I have and I hunt them,when I need the Meat.

THE MOST DANGEROUS ANIMAL IN THE FOREST DOES NOT EVEN LIVE THERE*********WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS*GEOTRYAGAIN **1803-2003 "LOUSIANA PURCHASE" 200TH ANNIVERSARY AND THE "LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION" http://lewisclark.goeg.missouri.edu/index.shtml http://www.lapurchase.org http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

The reason for putting the poll up was just to get an idea of how many people cache at night and what the perception of it is. I know sombody that goes out 1-2am with his family and daughter that has to go to scool the next day to do a cache. I think he is nuts but I thought I would try and see what others opinions were on this. I know some parks have banned the sport in them. I have been to a few that have locked gates on the park. And have had to come back to do some caches because the park gate were closing soon.

I am not trying to point fingers or **** people off. There are many ways that we as people damage the enviroment. And there are many other people that purposly damage the enviorment by dumping garbage. I face this one in trying to keep trais from being closed to 4wd's.

So keep in mind to do as little damage as possible weither day or night geocaching and lots of luck.

Giggles, Goofy, Grumpy & (Graceful.....Not)

The only time I cache at night is when the cache is specifically designed as a night cache. I've been on 3 so far. They were all very enjoyable. It was a bit creepy shining the light around looking for glint markers and finding them only to have them blink at you or run away!

Almost stepped on a sleeping deer, had a racoon follow us, heard a pack of coyotes not far off, and saw several pairs of unidentified eyes shining back at us. (I don't night cache alone, always bring a partner)

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

We did one last night (or I guess at this point, the night before). And we ran into 2 other teams while hunting for it. Then a neighbor came out to *help us find whatever* with his 3 huge flashlights. LOL

well, that's a slanted poll question. it's up to both the hider and the finder to be responsible.

shame on you to slant the question so. and if you don't like night hunts, stay home until sunrise.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:
Originally posted by Perrin:

The only time I cache at night is when the cache is specifically designed as a night cache. I've been on 3 so far. They were all very enjoyable. It was a bit creepy shining the light around looking for glint markers and finding them only to have them blink at you or run away!

Almost stepped on a sleeping deer, had a racoon follow us, heard a pack of coyotes not far off, and saw several pairs of unidentified eyes shining back at us. (I don't night cache alone, always bring a partner)

Signature? I don't need no stinkin signature!!!!

Sounds like it was well worth the trip to me.

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Giggles&Goofy:

I know sombody that goes out 1-2am with his family and daughter that has to go to scool the next day to do a cache. I think he is nuts but I thought I would try and see what others opinions were on this.

But that is not what was asked originally was it? icon_confused.gif I think that would be an entirely different answer. I would have to say that doesn't help with damaging the envirornment though. I originally posted my answer due to the fact that I could understand your viewpoint of the initial statement of damage to the environment, but I must say that I now totally agree with criminal and the others.

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

I'm almost appaled to hear some of these posts, even though I do understand the reasoning behind them.

I thrived on night-hunting when I first started caching.

You may miss out on a few sights that the hider wished you to see but there are a thousand different experiences at night that you can't pick up on in the daytime.

In fact, the only reason I don't night-cache much anymore is simply because of park regulations i.e. parking after dark or tresspassing after hours. I for one find those rules a bit overprecautious anyway.

There are some places that you are required to get a pass or permit to hike in and I've sincerely felt about bringing the topic to these forums for geocachers to get a similar permit that would/could allow us to hike in permitable areas, during extended hours and would then even give us leeway when we get questioned by 'the man' since it will happen anyway.

Draegon, Cache Care-taker of the OKIC

Team Draegon

Cincinnati, Ohio USA

"To conquer without risk is to succeed without glory"

Sorry to jump on the band wagon a little late, but how do you cause such incredible damage on foot? If Geocaching inspired enough Americans to walk in the woods and the end result was errosion, wouldn't it be worth it? I have been mountain biking for over 15 years and been on trails all over the US. If you were really concerned about the environment and trail errosion you would be out shooting horses instead of bothering geocachers.

Bret Bellizio

[This message was edited by Bret holio on July 08, 2003 at 06:37 PM.]

I have been out a few times at night, once at least on purpose.

Damage to the enviroment is not the issue! Those who will cause damage will do so day or night!

Safety is a concern. One of my caches is close to a 20+ foot deep earthquake fissure with vertical sides. One cacher almost fell into it at night because they only had 1 light for 3 people. This near accident was not caused by geocaching or night but by not being prepared.

Also, most unfriendly critters, snakes etc., like the dark. Therefore I perfer daytime even in the heat, 114 today.

I sought a night cache a couple of months ago and found a newborn fawn right in the middle of the trail, apparently dead. I checked it out to try to determine how long it might have been dead, only to find that it was ALIVE. It just laid there and played dead the whole time I handled it.

I called DNR to report what i thought might be an abandoned baby, and I was told that mama deer often leave their newborns like that and that probably it was OK.

When I returned to the spot(waypointed) after finishing my cache hunt, the baby deer was gone.

Betcha don't get to see nothing like THAT in the daytime.

So there.

May 25, 2003

Caint never did nothing.

GDAE, Dave

Actually, we did have a very similar experience, but during the day with finding a fawn sleeping/playing dead in tall grass while hiking to the Coin Fusion cache in Cincinnati, GC1B26. We left it alone and took a picture only. See our 1 Jun 02 log entry.

Here's the picture:

371728_200.JPG

Cheers ... BVCY Swim

Beavercreek, OH

I have made two night caches

spooks and spiders
and
cougar eyes
. As a kid at scout camp there was a series of reflective cougar eyes up in the trees. We followed them to a special lookout.

I have set up two similar events. Cougar Eyes is a set of 6 different cougar shaped eyes made from adhesive reflective tape. Spooks and Spiders has a series of haloween style shapes (skulls, monster eyes) that zig zag through the trees for a half mile.

Both have been very well received.

A few hints:

The reflective tape at truck supply stores is very high quality. It comes in red or silver (often both on one strip)

Prepare your objects in advance. I stick my cut outs one small card sized pieces of dark painted wood.

I don't nail the wood to the trees. A sensitive type might remove it. Instead I tie it up, about 8 feet high, with dark nylon cord.

Orange reflectors, like those at hardware stores, can be altered to look like Jack-o-lanterns.

Red reflectors mark the start and finish of my multi caches. Check out "Cougar Eyes" and Spooks and Spiders" thto get a feel for what we have been up to here in Oregon.

Geobaby

This is kind've an odd question...I find that I gotta agree with a lot of the posts pro and con...(Although there were a couple that I said something to the tune of "Get a life...") My thought is this: Use common Sense! I Love Geocaching! One time at 1 am, I was on the site and saw a new cache that no one had found yet! That first finders certificate started calling my name worse than my refrigerator! "Honey???? Ya wanna go for a walk??" <_< We had great fun! On the other hand, I had my cache abducted and went to look at the site at night and the cops showed up breifly, looked at me and left...(I think I heard laughing... :D ) and yet another time the area we went to had a lot of criminal activity going on so we were warned...(we kept our eyes wide open! and did'nt sit around singing "Kum ba ya"...) The main thing is Common Sense!