Rude and inappropriate log - what to do?

cacheKidds

Someone who has never found a cache before chose our cache to try as his first. He was unsuccessful and proceeded to leave a rude log on our cache's web site. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=35685 icon_mad.gif

Of course, I responded as diplomatically as possible (although I may have provoked a little icon_rolleyes.gif). He then proceeded to actually SPEND TIME creating this lovely photo http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_details.asp?ID=133669&L=764866

and posting it. icon_mad.gif Come on! This is a family web site!!! I already emailed the powers that be and am awaiting their comment/action. But I am so mad that this punk has chosen to start something with me and how incredibly immature and ridiculous he is. I haven't let him have it yet, choosing to take the high road, but I have a few choice words in mind.

Anyway, I'm afraid that if he gets banned from geocaching.com he'll just come back with a new user name and keep harrassing - or worse, go back and actually find the cache and take it.

Arghh! Thanks for letting me vent!

Man, that pisses me off. Sorry to hear that some loser troll did this to you. I posted to your page a note which you can delete if you would like. I think his post should be deleted also but not until the 'powers that be' see it.

Again I'm sorry that such an *** has done this.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

IMO, delete the log and move on. I'd certainly delete the photo. The pic and caption are not appropriate.

Some people just don't know how to act in a community oriented sport like this. Letting the admins know, again IMO, was the proper thing to do. If they create another account to harass you, they can always block based on IP addresses. At the least, you could use the "Charter Member" feature to hide the cache from non-members.

How out of order is that? Crumbs!

If I went round breaking the owners neck every time I didn't find a cache, I'd never have any time left for caching icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, just forget it, it seems to me it's either just a kid, or someone with the same mental age as one. Let TPTB see it, then delete it. If he comes back, he comes back, and you can delete the post again. He'll get bored eventually.

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

There is a certian percentage of people in every society who are not "part-of-the-team". Ignore the coments, Notify the Geocaching.com Team (in case you have a future problem, and delete the post. Check on the cache (or ask a local to check on it) just in case it really is "Not There)and e-mail the results to trotty66 (the D***head) so he can rest at ease knowing he "went off" at a fellow geocacher fo reasons beyond your control or for no reason at all.

Oh S**t.. I'll e-mail him myself..

I would really rather NOT believe!

I cannot believe the jerk did this. If someone did this to me, I would personally would find him. icon_eek.gif

It's one thing being a little upset not finding a cache, but the immature pig has no clue what geocaching is about. There is differen't walks of life that go geocaching but this kind is the worst. He must be on drugs and don't have a clue about morals, respect, and plain common sense.

Duane

Upinyachit

icon_smile.gif

Our feet go where the caches are! feet.gif

Wow - so many responses so quickly. I already emailed him the first time he posted about being rude but have not written him after he posted the photo. I know he is looking for a reaction and I won't give him one.

I will delete the post once the admin team gets a look at it. I already deleted a second post he made.

We seem to have bad luck with the sport - our first cache was stolen and so was our first travel bug. Now this. I'm glad that there are decent geocachers out there. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for posting the link thumpertoo. I just noticed that. The thing is I have too much time too but ya'll know that already. Looks like someone is going to get an email bomb.

Little prick.

______________________________________________________________________________________

CacheKidds, I think you should delete his posts ASAP and all related posting. you've already contacted the admins., GOOD, when they get around to your email, i would think they'll delete trotty's account and ban him too(thats what im hoping for icon_wink.gif)

Sorry you have a troll in your area, after you get over being so POed at him, you might try emailing him to explain geocaching. But you already have, and nothing happened, so its probly just a waste of time. icon_rolleyes.gif

whack.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

[This message was edited by Welch on November 24, 2002 at 04:46 PM.]

I suspect the folks at Groupspeak can easily retrieve deleted logs, so I'd probably delete them right now. I wouldn't even worry about it. This is blatent grounds for being barred, and I would be suprised if Jeremy DIDN'T bar is IP and/or his ISP.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

Well so much for the link above. I deleted his post already. But he did log it as found. Still lmao.

Just delete the loser's post and move on. If you need to let TPTB know then just email them the whole uploaded picture page. They would get enough information out of that.

Side note: I don't know if that log will actually stay in the system after it is deleted from your page or not. Photos you delete off your cache page are actually still there and accessible. I don't know it works the same with deleted logs. Maybe TPTB will let us know?

From looking at the photo it's obviously male--or a skin-headed girl. From the looks of the hand he's an adolescent. From the looks of the background, mom is a good decorator and he has to use the community computer. (Parents probably don't trust him alone with the computer for obvious reasons.)

So, you really want to put any stock into what he has to say, especially if it's negative and rude?

It's obvious this sport is not for him.

CR

72057_2000.gif

The Troty Bug is a abnormal version of the lowest slime on the planet.

Please Archive his foolish attempt. This sport or any sport in general doesn't need this kind of person.

His GPS Datum was in probably a different setting, something way beyond his inferior knowledge, because Datum is 5 letters, 1 more letter than the magnitude of his dubious knowledge.

Somebody should make a Cache out of him and not post the Coordinates, he's better left unfounded.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

Origionally, I thought maybe this was like people who steal caches. Maybe the person wasn't even there and just wanted to cause some trouble. Then, I see that UMC says the person logged his cache as found, so maybe the person is a real cacher but a rotten one. Then again, maybe he logged that as found to seem real when he wasn't even there. OK, I'm way too suspicious! Anyway, I say delete the log and photo after TPTB see it and then ignore the person.

pokeanim3.gif

like old trash. I would not even look twice at this type of posting now. I have went through my break in period over getting flamed and deleting out crud like this does not even get a second thought. There is more to life then worrying about people like that. just go back, find your cache - if no one else gets it first - and post to your page a health check.

Later, logscaler.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

3. Others would actually visit your cache page and post notes that were as offensive as the original.

Once again I find myself in the rare position of agree with, and supporting BassoonPilot's opinion.

I also agree with point 1 and 2 of his post, but this particular comment is particularly intriguing.

Jamie

quote:
Delete his logs, what is he gonna do? Go find your cache and steal it?

With all the inflammatory rhetoric in this thread there is good possibility that he will learn how to use his GPS and actually do this. And maybe he won't stop there and will become a serial cache taker (I don't use the term thief because I believe it is too harsh). All becuse of this thread.

I think everyone here should apologize to Mr. Trotty for the mean and insensitive comments in this forum and those on the cache page.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

Like I said, I want to make sure that TPTB see everything before I delete. You are right about people posting comments to my cache page - I don't think it is such a good idea and hope people refrain from adding more.

Also, I wasn't really asking for advice - more so just venting to people that I thought would understand. I already took action before I got any comments anyway.

HOWEVER, I feel no need to apologize to him.

PS to BrianSnat - I noticed you already deleted the log you made on my cache page and now see fit to call for apologies icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cacheKidds:

PS to BrianSnat - I noticed you already deleted the log you made on my cache page and now see fit to call for apologies icon_confused.gif

I do believe Mr. Snat was being facetious ... he is, after all, from New Jersey.

In your original post, you commented "Come on, this is a family website." It occurs to me that many more people were exposed to the offensive material because of this thread than would otherwise have seen it.

The remaining inflammatory notes on your page look really silly now.

(Two minutes later ... )

Ah, I see they have now all been removed. Your page once again looks quite respectable.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on November 25, 2002 at 04:18 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Origionally, I thought maybe this was like people who steal caches. Maybe the person wasn't even there and just wanted to cause some trouble. Then, I see that UMC says the person logged his cache as found, so maybe the person is a real cacher but a rotten one. Then again, maybe he logged that as found to seem real when he wasn't even there. OK, I'm way too suspicious! Anyway, I say delete the log and photo after TPTB see it and then ignore the person.

http://outbreakcorp.hypermart.net/animation/pokemon/pokeanim3.gif

Carleenp,

He does not live anywhere near me and just posted to my cache page because he did not like what I had to say to him.

BP,

In my opinion, calling someone a loser and a troll is not as offensive as telling them to FU, maybe just as childish but not as offensive. Furthermore I don't agree with leaving well enough alone and feel Trotty needed/needs a taste of his own medicine. Also when you let someone walk on you like that once, be prepared for the herd.

umc,

we just wanted to thank you again for your tremndous support and regret that Trotty attcked your cache with the same hostile photo. Also, it's obvious that your posts (and the others) are not as remotely distasteful as Trotty's. We were rather hurt that BP chose only to criticize us, and failed to mention the problematic Trotty at all . We had hoped to leave the post up long enough to ensure that Groundspeak can view it. As for it being up for "so many hours," we checked the message board shortly after we orginally posted and thanked people, yes. However, we did not look again until this morning and deleted the posts on the cache page. We are delighted that BP has now deemed our cache respectable.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

In my opinion, calling someone a loser and a troll is not as offensive as telling them to FU, maybe just as childish but not as offensive.

FU???? Isn't that what you do?

Sorry I don't have anything important to add to this discussion, I just want to feel like I belong. Anybody seen my sofa?? icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

If anybody would like this trotty66's _phone number, name, and address_, feel free to contact me. I have the information.

Yeah, you would think Brett, being a college grad and all, would be smart enough to know all the info that one can obtain from the internet. icon_smile.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
PS to BrianSnat - I noticed you already deleted the log you made on my cache page and now see fit to call for apologies

Yes I did. I re-read my post and was ashamed at the hateful tone. What was I thinking? I will be contacting Mr Snazz for Etrotty's address so I can send flowers, a generous check and a note begging his forgiveness.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Yeah, you would think Brett, being a college grad and all, would be smart enough to know all the info that one can obtain from the internet. icon_smile.gif

Exactly icon_smile.gif Seems people are either extremely easy to track down, or extremely difficult. El Trotter falls squarely in the easy camp.

quote:
Originally posted by cacheKidds:

We are delighted that BP has now deemed our cache respectable.

I did no such thing. I deemed your cache page respectable. icon_wink.gif Your local cachers will decide about the cache itself.

I didn't comment about the offensive post and photo posted to your page because there was no need to ... clearly, Trotty66's log was rude and extremely immature. If it had been my page, I would have saved a copy of the log (and photos) to my hard drive and then simply deleted it from my cache page. If the individual re-posted the material or harassed me with abusive/offensive e-mails, I would have sent a note and the supporting documentation to the website administrators.

Trotty66 created neither this thread nor the resulting maelstrom; you did. Hence, my comments were directed towards your action. As stated above, in no way do I condone or support behavior like Trotty66's.

It is my opinion, however, that your bringing that transgression to the attention of the general community rather than just taking appropriate action was hardly better than the behavior that caused you to "vent."

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on November 25, 2002 at 10:21 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

It is my opinion, however, that your bringing that transgression to the attention of the general community rather than just taking appropriate action was hardly better than what Trotty66 did.

I just lost all respect I used to have for your opinions. For whatever that's worth.

Bringing Trotty66's actions to the attention of the community, in my opinion, is nowhere near as bad as posting an image of an obscene gesture labeled with "f**k you".

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

Bringing Trotty66's actions to the attention of the community, in my opinion, is nowhere near as bad as posting an image of an obscene gesture labeled with "f**k you".

Let's see ... the log and obscene gesture appeared on one page where it was viewed by only those who visited that page and chose to read that particular log and view the photo. Thanks to the originator of this thread, who decided to post a link here rather than handle the matter in a more mature manner, many more people were exposed to that obscene photo.

Who did the greater disservice to the general community? In my opinion, for whatever it's worth, it was not Trotty66.