Geoswag That Should be Banned

RocketMan

I know that most people don’t go geocaching because of the great treasures that they find, but you have to admit that sometimes you wonder to yourself, why some people bother putting such junk in geocaches. I try to place useful or interesting geoswag in the caches that I find.

What are your geoswag pet peeves?

Here are a few of mine:

• AOL CD’s
  • Business Cards
  • Used Cloth Items (Like Stuffed Animals and Baseball Caps)
  • Logo Pens and Pencils
  • Candy
  • U.S. Quarters
  • AOL CD’s

There seems to be a definite pattern for cachers that complain about:

1/1 caches

Contents

Locations

Items cachers trade

and the list goes on icon_smile.gif

These cachers ALL live in a target rich area icon_biggrin.gif

When you have to drive 200 miles to the first cache of the day, you tend to overlook some of the little things. icon_wink.gif

Of course I could be wrong about this icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Judy&Dick:

There seems to be a definite pattern for cachers that complain about:

1/1 caches

Contents

Locations

Items cachers trade

and the list goes on

These cachers ALL live in a target rich area

When you have to drive 200 miles to the first cache of the day, you tend to overlook some of the little things.

If you have to drive 200 miles to get to a cache, wouldn't you be pleased if there was some premium geoswag in the cache when you got there.

RM

The kids and I have hit a few caches where there was absolutely nothing in the cache that was even close to a fair trade for even our most useless junk, but we try to just resist trading in such an instance.

On the other hand, in the caches I place, I have put CD's containing computer games, but no AOL CD's. I've purchased baseball caps and t-shirts from the Battleship Texas gift shop to put in a cache, but no used ones. So I guess it would depend on the origin of the items as well. New stuff is no problem, but old grungy stuff people have about worn out is a problem.

Otherwise, we do what we say down below.....

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

The rocks and used/burned down candles seem to bother me a bit.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

Oh yeah, and whos going to use that bar of soap anyway???? STUPID THING TO LEAVE

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

It might be dirty!

Well that's dumb! All you have to do is wash it off first! icon_biggrin.gif

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

My cache peeves are stupid kiddie meal toys, dirty golf balls, and anything junky and useless. I once replaced a filthy golf ball with a pack of clean ones and threw away the filthy one. AOL cds and business cards are just trash.

The worst thing I ever found was a huge dried out seed pod from a nearby plant. Someone who accidentally found the cache wrote in the log book that he put it in there and took $2.

My pet peeve is anything that is BROKEN - toys, radios, jewelry, whatever.

Anything edible or scented should NOT be left in caches, per the FAQ pages, because scents attract critters.

Some of the less desireable stuff I've removed from caches as geo-junk includes cigarettes, medication, and dried-up Play-doh (not even in the container)

ntga_button.gifweb-lingbutton.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

A couple things we've found in caches that seemed bizarre: motel soap bars, a handwritten grocery list.

Uggh, I think soap is often the "overlooked trash" in caches. I found a couple caches last summer with decorative soaps and other smellin' stuff in them. After several weeks locked in an airtight box with the nasty summer heat EVERYTHING smelled like soap!

Save the soap for after you get home! icon_razz.gif

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

Same here. I try and leave something in the cache that I would like like to find. Matchbox cars, doggy chew toys, etc. NO !!!, and I repeat NO !!! used stuff or junk. i.e. chewed on Mickey D toys.

On the other hand, if the cache is a TRASH CACHE, I try to take out the garbage, and put something in worth while or I might take one piece of trash and exchange it with another. Depends on my mood. But the more I cache, the more my attitude is changing. If I find a trash cache, I'm more likely to try and add to the cache to make it more interresting for new cachers.

However, the quality of the cache contents lies on two people. The Owner and the cacher. Granted my first few caches contained nothing too special. However, when I create a large cache, now I put a lot if good quality items that covers all ages. But what ticks me off is people taking the good stuff and leaving trash in return. I'm taking time to make the cache contents of good quality, then I expect cachers to respect this. A lot do, but there are some who do not, and they are the ones you need to be concerned with.

Personally, I find no challenge in finding large caches. They are cumbersom to maintain, and can be a pain to hide. My personal favorites are micro caches, and the challenge they pose. Plus they are a lot cheaper to maintain.

Nope,I think if you really want to keep contents in a large cache fresh, then make them very hard to find, and let the owner know if you think the contents of their cache need replacing.

One of the better caches I've visited was in a kitty litter bucket (cleaned) icon_wink.gif but it worked out rather well because there was lots of stuff for my son to choose from and not a lot of junk. (He took a Playstation1 game and left a ZZTop greatest hits CD) Lately in the larger caches I've placed a brand new (non-scented) pack of markers. Obviously more kid-centric but it seems to have worked so far. icon_wink.gif

-Mixster

I hate those mini buckets of doot. I mean, it's cool and all that it looks like UMC's avatar, but why the real doot? I mean, it could have been empty and it still would have been just as cute.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

I'm suprised Rubbertoe didn't list used toothbrushes after one of the pics I saw of a cache I think he adopted icon_wink.gif

Toothbrushes, wrapped or no

Hair brushes

And kind of personal hygeine thing... I'll buy my own, thanks icon_wink.gif

Old golfballs, though I'm building a large collection of them icon_wink.gif

Tourist brochures (no use for them, they just soak up cache leakage)

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

...pocket change unless it is foreign, coupons for local fast food places, dirty and definately used toys and such, sticks ( i have found those in three caches), used tube of lipstick icon_confused.gif ( what were they thinking of)...i always leave something in the caches but there are ones that i never took anything from, and i have traded for junk to get it out of the cache...i still like finding them more than the trading!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

No, I am not lost...I am where I am suppose to be...At least I think so?

The tampons someone keeps leaving in my caches. I have no use for them, but I guess some others may.

A used Metrocard was another useless item I found in one of my caches.

I LIKE the AOL CD's. They make great coasters.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on January 05, 2003 at 09:19 AM.]

If you have to drive 200 miles to get to a cache, wouldn't you be pleased if there was some premium geoswag in the cache when you got there.

RM

No, that is not our focus. We rarely trade but most time we do drop in a goodie. To us it is the hunt and the find. icon_cool.gif

Maybe some cachers don't know better.

The first few caches we hid were filled with junk. We have gone back this year and upgraded the containers and the contents. The same goes for the first few we found - we traded junk - we really didn't take geocaching seriously. Now we make a concerted effort to stock our caches with some desireable stuff, and always trade even, or up. However, we realize that human nature is that some people will not trade up.

I know it's one of the canned statements here, but it's really about the hike and hunt. Before geocaching we had fun just hiking in the woods, so even if we don't trade anything, finding the container is better then hiking alone.

Originally posted by dwmurphy:

So out of idle curiosity, what would you leave if you found

1)a Leatherman multi-tool

2)a GPSr

3)a Brunton Compass

4)a $50.00 bill

in a cache?....since some people are saying trade even or trade up. icon_eek.gif

I would take everything and leave nothing - the cache hider is obviously a kook!!!

All kidding aside these type of items have been left in caches before and the cache page usually contains the cache owners intent. If I ws expected to trade evenly, I would simply sign the logbook and move on.

I'm familiar with Skully & Mulder's caches and they are very well stocked, with decent stuff. I generally try to do the same. It's more for those new to the sport and families with kids. Many of the veteran geocachers around here rarely trade (except for Wheresgeorge $'s). But I think when someone is just starting, or if they bring the kids along, it would be discouraging for them to find a soaked Gladware cache filled with garbage.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

Trade items according to the Golden Rule:

Cache unto others as you would have them cache unto you.

The garbage caches don't turn that way by magic. They get that way when geocachers (like us)icon_rolleyes.gif trade badly.

Logo items are ok by me, and even religious tracts and McToys (clean and wrapped) have their place. Obviously it is unfair to trade a crappy used golfball for some nice CD or other item, but absent some means of tracking this, or some alternative system (ie: signature items), the crappification of the geocaches seems to be a fait accompli.

Theme caches seem to work better. I have two and both seem to stay pretty intact and true to the themes. Both have simple themes, so its easy to keep in the spirit of the theme and this probably has a lot to do with their success.

The Signature cache is working OK. Not as many of us have developed Signature Items, and this might be something to encourage in our New Cachers . If we developed this in a spirit akin to the call sign cards that HAM operators used to mail to contacts, it would add to the fun.

I have several sig items in circulation and its a kick to find them waiting for me in some cache that I have just found.

Just a thought. icon_cool.gif

remybussi.gif By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I. remybussi.gif

Why would I want McToys and the like, when I got 'em piling-up between, under, and around my car seats already?! You can't throw the darn things away with the kids standing there giving you the EVIL eye! icon_eek.gif My

quote:
never-often-enough
car wash/vacuum is like striking the mother lode-if you like that kind stuff icon_wink.gif

Most of the caches in our immediate vicinity contain a cheap plastic flower, a spork/napkin in plastic, and two cents.

I gather from the logs that they are intended as signature items. My kids haven't been impressed.

Fortunately, location is still reward enough for the hunt so no search has been a total bust.

Things we don't like:

• Condoms
  • Pretty much ANY hygiene product.
  • Common plant materials; sticks, pine cones, seed pods, etc.
  • Candles or any meltable item.
  • Shells and such when the cache is within 100 miles of the coast.
  • Shark's teeth in caches in SC, they're all over around here, anyway.
  • Broken or woefully out of fashion jewelry.
  • Anything boken for that matter.
  • Pictures of soon-to-be-former girlfriends. (We found a school pic of a nice looking girl with the message on the back, "If you can handle her, you can have her" complete with phone number.)

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Pictures of soon-to-be-former girlfriends. (We found a school pic of a nice looking girl with the message on the back, "If you can handle her, you can have her" complete with phone number.)

I think I would put this in the interesting geoswag category.

I carry a driver in my trunk. Hit golf balls into Cape Cod Canal. Trying to get across. Widest sea-level canal in the world. Not littering, seen worse stuff in there, and haven't knocked out any fish either.

No problem with pens or pencils. I'm amazed adults leave home without one or the other.

[This message was edited by Cape Cod Cacher on January 06, 2003 at 02:40 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

I'm suprised Rubbertoe didn't list used toothbrushes after one of the pics I saw of a cache I think he adopted icon_wink.gif

Toothbrushes, wrapped or no

Hair brushes

And kind of personal hygeine thing... I'll buy my own, thanks icon_wink.gif

Old golfballs, though I'm building a large collection of them icon_wink.gif

Tourist brochures (no use for them, they just soak up cache leakage)

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

_Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time._

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

I think its rather odd every time I see Trippy trade something nice for a used golf ball. He represents the true meaning of geocacher. So yes its true folks, he is saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Broken seashells, sticky pennies, a pinecone, a spork...

I'm really not interested in whether items are "valuable" or not, but I confess I do like to find INTERESTING things, like foreign coins or old skeleton keys. I usually don't trade at all, but I know my kids really like swapping trinkets.

"Everybody wants to save the world, but nobody wants to help mom with the dishes," -P.J. O'Rourke

I for one love the pocket change, where's george dollars, non george dollars etc. Excellent leave for those of us who still have to use a laundromat! There was once some true geoswag up here on the northcoast: someone left the end of a joint. Not to bright of thinking, considering that kids are involved in this sport. Most people up here weren't too happy about it, though some people were probably bummed that they didn't get there soon enough! I guess it was almost guaranteed to happen in Humboldt county sooner or later!

elifish

Leave the sample bottles of shampoo at home. Leave the sample bottles of booze in the cache. They're quite helpful on these cold winter days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I know how hard it is to put food on your family." - George "dubya" Bush, 2000

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------