Geocacher Trading Cards. Thoughts?

It is an interesting idea, the only problem I see with it is that it takes away from the uniqueness of those already leaving singature items. The sig items are somewhat rare (many more people don't have them then do) and if all of a sudden everyone is leaving them, well it's not so unique anymore. I can see the novelty wearing off after bunches of geocards are put into the caches. But then again I've been meaning to make my own sig item to leave for about 8 months and never have, the advantage with something like this is it would be relatively fast and easy for everyone to do.... but then again that's also the disadvantage.

My signature item is a 'beach safe' It is a coin holder/whistle/compass combo and recently I have started putting in a personilized card made at home with my Printshop Delux program and/or a Georged dollar.

Localy there is a company in Carlsbad called Upperdeck on their website www.upperdeck.com you can design your own card with pictures and any details you like and then they will send them to you. Upper Deck's personalized trading cards are available to purchase in packs of 9 for $14.99 or packs of 18 for $24.99. (THUD

Peregrinus

quote:
Originally posted by Jane8276:

Localy there is a company in Carlsbad called Upperdeck on their website http://www.upperdeck.com you can design your own card with pictures and any details you like and then they will send them to you. Upper Deck's personalized trading cards are available to purchase in packs of 9 for $14.99 or packs of 18 for $24.99. (THUD

Peregrinus

Cool site!! I tried it out and it was pretty quick and easy to create a card. I wonder if they could create a Geocaching template???

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

quote:
Originally posted by mikechim:

It is an interesting idea, the only problem I see with it is that it takes away from the uniqueness of those already leaving singature items.

I disagree. I feel it would actually enhance the 'uniqueess' of Hand made sig items. as they would stick out alot more as the cards would become very common place. Besides an Item like this could end the 'I hate McToys' comments.

I agree thqat it would detract from the Sigitem that is just something bought in mass (I do this now and is why I am looking for an alterntive) at least these items are unique to the buyer and not just to the cacher that was the first to start using them.

quote:
Originally posted by solohiker:

Have you guys seen pictures posted by geocachers? We are not an attractive group. Who wants a box full of pictures of ugly people?

It's not like I want to wall paper my bedroom with them. They just would have a little more meaning then a half empty bottle of new car smell, or a used light switch, or box full of religous pamphlets, animal chewed rain coat, giant paper clip, etc, etc.

Cache On!!

James

"Big Dog"

-Clan Ferguson

Yes, I like this idea too, and really do hope it'll become a reality. I think it could add another level of enjoyment to the game for lots of folks - myself included.

However, I think the scheme needs to be carefully implemented and thoroughly explained. Geocaching of itself may seem pretty simple once you've found (or hidden) a few caches, but it can be pretty complicated for beginners.

When you're brand new to this, there's a lot to get the hang of - how to deal with the website, how to buy and use a GPS, different kinds of caches, cache etiquette, Travel Bugs, etc. etc. If you've never tried geocaching, you won't be sure how much you'll like it, so you're going in with a minimal level of investment in terms of money, time and effort. The more rules and complications there are, the less chance that beginners will be able to participate successfully (and the more chance they'll screw it up accidentally for others).

So, I think the card idea should be implemented carefully, and fully explained in such a way so that those who find cards will immediately know what they're expected to do with them. Perhaps that would involve a explanation of the concept right on the cards themselves (similar to the explanations inside caches for those who find them accidentally). The simpler and easier the explanation, the more chance this idea has of success.

quote:
CourtneyP asks:

What's the status?

I think solohiker scared Jeremy off.

Actually Genius Loci made some points that need to be addressed. New people really are needed to keep this hobby alive. If people are pressured into getting a GPS, a membership through Groundspeak, trading cards, and trading items. They may perceive this as being too much of investment.

An older GPS will work, membership is optional, and trading items are also somewhat optional. [You don't HAVE to take anything]

Joining in on the fun is something anyone can do.

Maybe this could be packaged with the membership?

Sign up as a premium member ($100) and receive 100 numbered cards that include a print of the photo you upload.

Obviously I know nothing about printing costs.

I still like the idea. I'm considering making them into a PDF you can print out and laminate yourself. There is also a company that has special paper you can buy if you wanted to get fancier.

It's just on the backburner. Pocket Queries are top priority, then benchmark features, then locationless caches, and some other projects that are top secret. icon_wink.gif

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

I still like the idea. I'm considering making them into a PDF you can print out and laminate yourself. There is also a company that has special paper you can buy if you wanted to get fancier.

It's just on the backburner. Pocket Queries are top priority, then benchmark features, then locationless caches, and some other projects that are top secret. icon_wink.gif

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Went caching with a friend and he was asking about the (magnetic and not) cards with people's geocaching names.. His paraphrased words were something like "Isn't that the same as opening the cache.. squatting and taking a dump in it?- these aren't items people would really want so they end up just staying here and cluttering(marking) the cache for all who follow to see" icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I tend to agree with him.. am I a bad person? I like to personalize my own cache but don't like to do that to other peoples caches. This thread just made me think of that conversation... hmm...Now that I grossed everyone out icon_smile.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Went caching with a friend and he was asking about the (magnetic and not) cards with people's geocaching names.. His paraphrased words were something like "Isn't that the same as opening the cache.. squatting and taking a dump in it?- these aren't items people would really want so they end up just staying here and cluttering(marking) the cache for all who follow to see" icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I tend to agree with him.. am I a bad person? I like to personalize my own cache but don't like to do that to other peoples caches. This thread just made me think of that conversation... hmm...Now that I grossed everyone out icon_smile.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I couldn't wait anymore so I started making cards for the cacher's in my area. Turns out it was easier than I thought it would be. I'm using 2-1/2 by 3-1/2 inch cards which is the same size as most baseball trading cards.

--- yrium ---

436669_200.jpg

447245_200.jpg

444381_200.jpg

451476_200.jpg

I can't believe nobody has posted this yet. Yrium, those are some sweet looking cards.

I've seen reference to people making cards for themselves but to go that extra mile and make stuff for your pals.

Why, that's what separates the men from the mice in my book.

(Obligatory weird - my spellchecker desperately wanted to replace "Yrium" with "group" - WTF?)

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

(Obligatory weird - my spellchecker desperately wanted to replace "Yrium" with "group" - WTF?)

"Yrium: The ability of a person to effect / affect the reactions of others"

================================================

From Gloag’s Tale:

"Dear Gloag, I know all of which you speak and have observed your great victory from afar, here in Aphrasoe. My heart is near bursting with joy at the success of your campaign. The yrium flows out of you and -

"Not so My Lady!", interjected the shocked diff. "I simply did what needed doing. The yrium is not for the likes of me. Only the Great Ones like My Lord and Lady of Strombor, along with Dray’s greatest comrade Seg. For it is he who is already legendary for always being at the side of the Warlord of Paz or Emperor of Emperors, as others say. Often and often I have gazed at my comrades and envied them the yrium they exude but affect not to notice. Though I have never doubted their sincerity of friendship, I have always felt the gulf, even if they have not. Furthermore I -"

================================================

Wer sich schon gefragt hat wofür das Yrium steht, hier eine kleine Erklärung:

Das Yrium ist ein Rein spekulativer Wert, und steht rein Experimentel in der Tabelle.

Auf Kregen repräsentiert das Yrium die Fähigkeit einer Person, auf auf die Reaktionen der anderen Einzuwirken.

zB mit nichts bekleidet, in ein Dorf stapfen und eine Armee aus Freiwilligen aufstellen.

Hier im Spiel steht der Wert dafür wie stark der einzelne Spieler in das Spielgeschehen eingreift und somit die Reaktionen der Gruppe beeinflusst.

Dieser Wert wird im Laufe des Spiels ändern, hat (da noch Experimentell) noch keinen Einfluß auf das Spielgeschehen

(Translates):

Who already asked itself for which the Yrium stands, here a small explanation:

The Yrium is a pure speculative value, and is located purely to Experimentel in the table.

On Kregen the Yrium represents the ability of a person to effect affect on the reactions of the others.

set up stapfen and an army from freiwilligen e.g. in nothing dressed, into a village.

Here in the play the value stands for it like strongly the individual player into the play happening intervenes and thus the reactions of the group affected.

This value will change in the course of the play, has (there still experimental) still no influence on the play happening

--majicman

(Always trade UP in both quantity and quality and Geocaches will be both self-sustaining and self-improving!)

quote:
Originally posted by Eric O'Connor:

Yrium, those are some sweet looking cards.

Eric,

I've been wondering what I should do after I finish my first 20 "Yrium's Pals" cards. I either have to make some more friends, not easy for this introvert, or make cards for people that say nice things about me on the forums.

I'll put you down for the #1 card in my future line of cards called "Yrium's Forum Fellows"

--- yrium ---

P.S. your spellchecker wanting to replace 'yrium' with 'group' is strange, mine always wants to change it to 'yttrium' which is an element on the periodic table.

We are very new to the cache-crowd, so take this opinion with a grain of salt...

Being on a temporarily *tight* budget, I still feel the guitly twinges from splurging on the GPS with the only current use being a "toy" for us growed-ups. One of the big selling points was that once the initial investment was past, we could join this group of fun-loving, good-hearted people for essentially no cost.

I love the creativity I have seen on some of the "samples" here, but the thought of even $20 a pop for something that will be out-dated from the moment I find the next cache in which to place the cards is disenheartening. However, the thought of limiting the use to "pre-approved" cards only & eliminating the creativity of so many here seems unreasonable, if not impossible.

My suggestion: Create a general template as has been suggested, in several common formats, such as .jpg, .gif. etc (easy to convert for those with the capabilities, impossible to utilize just one format for others) that could be printed on business cards if accessible, or heavy stock paper if not...but also encourage originality of others - with the stipulation that there be one image included on all cards, making them "Official." Similar to the Good Houskeeping Seal of Approval? icon_biggrin.gif

Of course, those with signature items already being left, I personally would love to find one of them. I'm thinking of different things we could create to leave, and having the "official" mark on them would be kinda neat.

Just an opinion from someone who doesn't generally form them....much less let them be known icon_wink.gif

Pamm

Working on that signature file that will bring a smile to every face...

[This message was edited by CacheHounds :-) on July 21, 2002 at 01:19 PM.]

We are very new to the cache-crowd, so take this opinion with a grain of salt...

Being on a temporarily *tight* budget, I still feel the guitly twinges from splurging on the GPS with the only current use being a "toy" for us growed-ups. One of the big selling points was that once the initial investment was past, we could join this group of fun-loving, good-hearted people for essentially no cost.

I love the creativity I have seen on some of the "samples" here, but the thought of even $20 a pop for something that will be out-dated from the moment I find the next cache in which to place the cards is disenheartening. However, the thought of limiting the use to "pre-approved" cards only & eliminating the creativity of so many here seems unreasonable, if not impossible.

My suggestion: Create a general template as has been suggested, in several common formats, such as .jpg, .gif. etc (easy to convert for those with the capabilities, impossible to utilize just one format for others) that could be printed on business cards if accessible, or heavy stock paper if not...but also encourage originality of others - with the stipulation that there be one image included on all cards, making them "Official." Similar to the Good Houskeeping Seal of Approval? icon_biggrin.gif

Of course, those with signature items already being left, I personally would love to find one of them. I'm thinking of different things we could create to leave, and having the "official" mark on them would be kinda neat.

Just an opinion from someone who doesn't generally form them....much less let them be known icon_wink.gif

Pamm

Working on that signature file that will bring a smile to every face...

[This message was edited by CacheHounds :-) on July 21, 2002 at 01:19 PM.]

I print my own business cards using Printmaster (other programs are available) and I customize one for each of my sites. I also have an "I have visited you" card I leave in caches I find.

Using Avery card stock they are adequate and I find them disappearing pretty fast from my sites.

For my caches I give the name, geo coordinates, date placed, My name, and the Geocaching web link. (yes, this does mean revisiting the cache, but you should anyhow.

I think Cachehounds hit on a pretty good compromise. Anyone who would like to buy the trading cards from geocaching.com to get a nice set of real cards and support the site a bit they could. But for those people who don't have a lot of disposable income a template could be available for personal use.

This would also be good for those of us who are artistically challanged. I have all the programs to do cards like yrium's but no matter how hard I try they never turn out looking that nice.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

quote:
Originally posted by majicman:

Who already asked itself for which the Yrium stands, here a small explanation:

The Yrium is a pure speculative value, and is located purely to Experimentel in the table.

On Kregen the Yrium represents the ability of a person to effect affect on the reactions of the others.

--majicman

I'm glad majicman cleared up the confusion over what my handle means. My job here is through, Now I'm off to effect affect reactions of the others elsewhere!

--- yrium ---

Oh I forgot to thank Zuckerruebensirup and Wander Lost for their kind words about my cards. I'm using the free software program called GIMP for image manipulation and Microsoft Publisher for printing the stats side of the card.

I've been thinking about getting some business cards printed as my calling cards for caches.

This would such a great version of that simple idea.

------

O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Hamlet, II.2 252-253

Gee where are all those old QSL cards?????

geocan.jpg

Trash-out, EVERYtime

~~

Geo-cach-er, n. generally a highy technically competent person with lots of free time. (see also- Unemployed Computer administrator, aircraft tchnician- defense worker- dot-com executive- systems administrator, et.al)

So what is the story with the cards? I know of a program that lets you design cards, I do it for the card game Magic, can be used for pokemon, and any other Trading Card Game. When I get home I will get the name of the program and website, so if there are others interested in the program. I recall doing a search in google for "CCG Maker" there is one that is freeware and a couple that are shareware.

As I read more on the forums, I am thinking my second sig item will be a card, I used tokens first made 9 of them. Only have 2 left. So looking for another Item.

EDIT: Doh, did a quick search in google, and found the site, but the download is down.

When are we going to have Geocaching Credit Cards??

Imagine their surprise when you whip out your Platinum Geocaching Master Card.

I can even see the commercial for it ... at the end they would say ... because Jeremy doesn't accept American Express!

icon_razz.gif

---------------------------------------------------

frog.gif Free your mind and the rest will follow frog.gif