Release Notes (Website: Enhanced Search Results)

Followers 18

On 5/11/2022 at 1:17 AM, The A-Team said:

Well, it's now been 3 months since this release. It looks like development has largely halted on this project, judging by the lack of further updates from Lackeys or changes to the search's behaviour. It could be that developers have been shifted off to start another project, which is what seemed to happen with many of the past projects that never reached completion.

The lack of movement on even the critical issues is very concerning. It would be one thing if the users just had to deal with functionality that had been removed or didn't look as good as it could, but users are also having to deal with broken functionality.

One wonders if the wider staffing issues have also hit HQ, and they're just scraping by with a few developers. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you don't have enough cash-flow to maintain the necessary staffing levels to support the product that is geocaching.com, it might be time to increase the membership price. Jeremy's promise was never realistic (and it had to have been around 20 years ago at this point), so I wouldn't worry about "breaking" it. With inflation these days, a price increase is inevitable and absolutely necessary.

...and by all means, if there's anything the community can do to help, please let us know. We all want this site to keep going.

I'm sure the funding would be sufficient if one just refrained from embarking on "projects" like the new search that bring more harm than good, and pointless appearence changes like icons for caches and message center or the shape of the profile picture. I'd rather keep the current membership price if that could ensure a stable product.

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

Any movement on reinstating the Personal Notes field in search filters?

Please.

Or let us know if that is NOT going to be returning. Silence can be deafening.

I second that, even if I don't need that particular function. Change without apparent reason is frustrating.

On 5/14/2022 at 1:05 AM, ChriBli said:

I second that, even if I don't need that particular function. Change without apparent reason is frustrating.

I too would love an answer to this or even a workaround for a backdoor way like on the previous search.

Can we please have an update?

• Funny 1

Leaving beside the other still valid complaints about the new list ;) I have the following two visual suggestions:

(1) please don't just grey out the colours of the icons of disabled and archived caches. It makes it difficult to identify the cache type and also if there's a smiley or frouney attached.

Suggestion: Only dim or pale the colours.

(2) please make it also easier to diffentiate between archived and disabled caches. In the old lists you had the names striked and the name of an archived cache additionally changed to red.

Suggestion: Grey out the letters of the name of an archived cache and leave the disabled ones black.

image.png.a73bb4cf833dd56a55e988ac014b7d4d.png

• Upvote 1