The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

OK all of you who take a four-legged friend withyou, here is that perfect Festivus gift for Ginger, Max, Becca, et.al. Gift

I thought it would be cool to design a GPS holder (maybe a mini-backpack type) that you could put on your geodog. Then you train your geodog to run around until he/she hears the GPS beep when he gets near the cache. Then the geodog could be trained to look for the cairn and then to bark when he spots the ammo box to let you know that he/she has found it! <_<

...Then you train your geodog to run around until he/she hears the GPS beep when he gets near the cache. Then the geodog could be trained to look for the cairn and then to bark when he spots the ammo box to let you know that he/she has found it! :D

And sign the log - and swap some swag and bring it back to the cachemobile <_<:mad:

...Then you train your geodog to run around until he/she hears the GPS beep when he gets near the cache. Then the geodog could be trained to look for the cairn and then to bark when he spots the ammo box to let you know that he/she has found it!  <_<

And sign the log - and swap some swag and bring it back to the cachemobile :mad::P

...and come home and log the caches on the internet! Think of how quickly you could hit 1000....2000.....3000 caches if your geodog was caching while you were at work! :D

...and come home and log the caches on the internet! Think of how quickly you could hit 1000....2000.....3000 caches if your geodog was caching while you were at work!  :mad:

Isn't that backwards? Don't you want your dog to be at work while you go caching? :D

Even better, if you could train your dog to do what you normally do while you are at work, your dog could be solving all those puzzle caches while you are out geocaching! <_<

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
...and come home and log the caches on the internet! Think of how quickly you could hit 1000....2000.....3000 caches if your geodog was caching while you were at work!  :D

Isn't that backwards? Don't you want your dog to be at work while you go caching? <_<

Even better, if you could train your dog to do what you do while are at work, your dog could be solving all those puzzle caches while you are out geocaching! :P

Good point! What was I thinking! :mad: Imagine all those dogs sitting at ALLLL those meetings! :P

Edited by TrailGators
I don't see it as a bad thing. I know people that skip puzzle caches all together because of the ones that are a pain to solve. This will give them a chance to do some of the caches. The people who do puzzles the hard way will continue to do it that way since they will consider this cheating.

I can certainly understand that view and I don't even completely disagree with it. In some ways, it's really no different than participating in a find on a cache that one person in the group has solved or getting the answer from someone at an event cache.

At the same time, though, I tend to feel that not everything in life was meant to be quite so easy. Some caches are deliberately designed to be a challenge (whether that be a TT puzzle or a DAK Girls storm drain or a monumental hike into the Anza-Borrego). Somehow, having the answer freely available on the Internet feels too easy.

I am curious (and I'll probably ask them) whether these folks would respect the wishes of a cache owner who writes to them and asks not to have his or her cache listed.

By the way, if anyone wants help on any of my puzzles, you don't have to go to "Spoilers.Com". I'll help you through it at any level that it takes for you to be successful.

I hope the way I'm doing this quote comes out correctly or else it will seem pretty stupid. I remember just being in the right place, with the right people, at the right time to sign the log for a cache that I would have never found in my life but fate was on my side. I didn't have to solve anything and I wouldn't have been able to if I had wanted to attempt it. We all weren't born Mensa members. Some of us sat in the corner with dunce caps on but we still enjoy geocaching.

I can certainly understand that view and I don't even completely disagree with it. In some ways, it's really no different than participating in a find on a cache that one person in the group has solved or getting the answer from someone at an event cache.

I remember just being in the right place, with the right people, at the right time to sign the log for a cache that I would have never found in my life but fate was on my side. I didn't have to solve anything and I wouldn't have been able to if I had wanted to attempt it. We all weren't born Mensa members. Some of us sat in the corner with dunce caps on but we still enjoy geocaching.

If I offended, I apologize. (And, by the way, everyone who braved the pampas grass and poison oak to search for that cache richly deserved their smiley! <_< )

Anyway, what I was trying to say was that I _don't_ have a problem with anyone tagging along for a find or getting the answer to a puzzle from a fellow cacher.

And yet, for some reason, it bugs me that there is someone gathering and posting the answers to every puzzle cache under the sun on the Internet. Why is this different? I'm not even sure that I know... so I'll shut up now.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
OK all of you who take a four-legged friend withyou, here is that perfect Festivus gift for Ginger, Max, Becca, et.al. Gift

I thought it would be cool to design a GPS holder (maybe a mini-backpack type) that you could put on your geodog. Then you train your geodog to run around until he/she hears the GPS beep when he gets near the cache. Then the geodog could be trained to look for the cairn and then to bark when he spots the ammo box to let you know that he/she has found it! :mad:

Actually, C-4 told me he was cheated out of an FTF at one cache by Becca. He swears she went right to the cache and led John or Jess (I forget which) to the find while he looked elsewhere. <_<

I thought it would be cool to design a GPS holder (maybe a mini-backpack type) that you could put on your geodog. Then you train your geodog to run around until he/she hears the GPS beep when he gets near the cache. Then the geodog could be trained to look for the cairn and then to bark when he spots the ammo box to let you know that he/she has found it! :mad:

Actually, C-4 told me he was cheated out of an FTF at one cache by Becca. He swears she went right to the cache and led John or Jess (I forget which) to the find while he looked elsewhere. <_<

Once I while riding Happy the Sandy Creek Horse on a Geocaching ride along Fred Canyon Road he walked right up to a little-pile-of-rocks cache and kicked it with his hoof before I could dismount. The rocks tumbled and there lay the ammo can.

We three Sandy Creek Cowboys had a hearty hoot and holler that day. Yeehaw!

I thought it would be cool to design a GPS holder (maybe a mini-backpack type) that you could put on your geodog. Then you train your geodog to run around until he/she hears the GPS beep when he gets near the cache. Then the geodog could be trained to look for the cairn and then to bark when he spots the ammo box to let you know that he/she has found it! :)

Actually, C-4 told me he was cheated out of an FTF at one cache by Becca. He swears she went right to the cache and led John or Jess (I forget which) to the find while he looked elsewhere. :)

John was with Becca while Jess was frolicking in Hawaii! :(

And, we shared FTF honors, so I wasn't complaining, but darned if that dog didn't lead him right to the cache! :wacko:

Actually, C-4 told me he was cheated out of an FTF at one cache by Becca. He swears she went right to the cache and led John or Jess (I forget which) to the find while he looked elsewhere. :wacko:

Hmmmmm....I have been in awe of how quickly J&J seem to be able to solve puzzle caches. But this makes me wonder if Becca is the real brains of the outfit. :(

You may have a point there. I waiting for her to get tired of walking to caches, and demand that Jess get one of theseBecca Mobile

My Toyota friend just sent me this picture taken at a Vegas show.  Watch out all you jeep enthusiasts.

The New Toyota FJ

28c1a81b-e5a4-48e7-9216-515fe3fe9206.jpg

We talked about those a couple of months ago! They look very cool! Anyhow, they are coming out this February! Any idea what the MSRP will be Dave?

Scott just wrote me back and said the release was delayed from Feb to something like June. The probably want to take the extra time to make sure it is better than a Jeep! :wacko:

The New Toyota FJ

That looks pretty darn sweet, but my heart still goes with the FJ40 (the white FJ in sitting in the background). This was a vehicle that could go pretty much anywhere and it could get you out of situations that you should never have gotten yourself into. It was all utility (you want air conditioning? well, pop open the vents or roll down the window. Radio? well, you wouldn't be able to hear at highway speeds anyway...) and was a favorite in remote places like Africa because you could fix it anywhere under any conditions. (You could disassemble and reassemble the entire vehicle with the included tool kit.)

The one I had (a 1971 model) is still plugging along. My dad is using it to get around the San Juans (SW Colorado) as he does field work documenting the tramways that hauled ore down from the mines.

My Toyota friend just sent me this picture taken at a Vegas show.  Watch out all you jeep enthusiasts.

The New Toyota FJ

28c1a81b-e5a4-48e7-9216-515fe3fe9206.jpg

We talked about those a couple of months ago! They look very cool! Anyhow, they are coming out this February! Any idea what the MSRP will be Dave?

Scott just wrote me back and said the release was delayed from Feb to something like June. The probably want to take the extra time to make sure it is better than a Jeep! :wacko:

Darn, now we have to wait until June! Any idea on the MSRP? I assume they will price in the range of a Rubicon....

I remember just being in the right place, with the right people, at the right time to sign the log for a cache that I would have never found in my life but fate was on my side. I didn't have to solve anything and I wouldn't have been able to if I had wanted to attempt it. We all weren't born Mensa members. Some of us sat in the corner with dunce caps on but we still enjoy geocaching.

If I offended, I apologize. (And, by the way, everyone who braved the pampas grass and poison oak to search for that cache richly deserved their smiley! :) )

Anyway, what I was trying to say was that I _don't_ have a problem with anyone tagging along for a find or getting the answer to a puzzle from a fellow cacher.

And yet, for some reason, it bugs me that there is someone gathering and posting the answers to every puzzle cache under the sun on the Internet. Why is this different? I'm not even sure that I know... so I'll shut up now.

This is not directed to anyone, just my own opinion. I see the difference as this..

Website with puzzle answers:

- Users go to a website to collect answers to the puzzle with no effort. No discussions, no, "Can you help me?", nothing. No effort goes into getting the answer at all. It is just plain lazy. :(

Getting the puzzle information from another cacher:

- They reach out to communicate with other cachers

- Show true interest in the effort the puzzle took

- at least made an effort to at least ask for help from someone :wacko:

I understand the website and why it is there. Most of the puzzles that I have completed will most likely not show up there. I feel that the challenge is in the puzzle itself, and those that chose to tackle them will mostly not just give the answer away freely to a website.

I have always been helpful to cachers that ask me for help on mine, and have enjoyed the exchange. I would never post anything to a site like that because I would rather ask someone for help rather than just get the answers.

All that the puzzlers can do is resist the urge to check on the puzzles for a quick fix. hmm.. I suppose someone could post false information to really screw things up. But even that would not be cool. No one wants a cacher ending up somewhere they shouldn't. YOU DO KNOW that if enough information gets in a database like that, that they would charge a membership to gain accessto the information don't you.

I think I am starting to ramble. What was the question again? :)

Adelos

For those of you that might have missed it, Team Reid is hosting a party on Friday night in Poway.  Check it out at:

Christmas Lights Geo Walk

Hope to see everyone there!

Robyn :blink:

Hehe, the locals are going to wonder about this huge group of people wandering around with headlamps on their heads! :blink:

P.S. Here are even more nearby Starbucks

Hey Formerly Ahimsa, what's TFTC mean? Of course I never knew what Ahimsa meant.... :blink:

Edited by TrailGators
Thanks For The C____  :blink:

Cotton?

Cooties? :blink:

or

Thanks for the Compliment

Taiwan Fair Trade Commission

TBP Free TAFII Complex

Timber and Forestry Training College

TBP Free TAF Containing

Tennessee Firearms Training Complex

Tie Fighter Total Conversion

Thin Film Thermocouple

Thin Film Transistor Circuits

The First Tee of Chicago

Thin Film Technology Center

The Funny Times Cartoon

Town Fair Tire Centers

Tales from the Crypt

Texas Fair Trade Coalition

:blink:

I don't see it as a bad thing. I know people that skip puzzle caches all together because of the ones that are a pain to solve. This will give them a chance to do some of the caches. The people who do puzzles the hard way will continue to do it that way since they will consider this cheating.

At the same time, though, I tend to feel that not everything in life was meant to be quite so easy. Some caches are deliberately designed to be a challenge (whether that be a TT puzzle or a DAK Girls storm drain or a monumental hike into the Anza-Borrego). Somehow, having the answer freely available on the Internet feels too easy.

I am curious (and I'll probably ask them) whether these folks would respect the wishes of a cache owner who writes to them and asks not to have his or her cache listed.

By the way, if anyone wants help on any of my puzzles, you don't have to go to "Spoilers.Com". I'll help you through it at any level that it takes for you to be successful.

Well, opinions on this issue certainly do vary. I was chased out of New Jersey for logging a "find" rather than a "note" on Choreographed Chaos even though I had solved all of the ten grueling puzzles but had not done any of the "field challenges." I have also been critcized for giving out hints on my puzzles before the FTF. I can see all points of view, but in the end it seems if you just happen to stumble across some tupperware in the woods you are invited to log a "find." Since that is the case, my personal view is that anyone who manages to get their name on a logbook should be able to log a "find." I would take issue with anyone who claims to have solved something the hard way when they didn't, but (as I did on Chaos) so long as the log entry is fair and truthful, I have no problem with anyone claiming a smiley. After all, other than in our own minds, every smiley counts as one single cache find, from the simplest 1/1 urban micro to the most difficult 5/5.

Well, opinions on this issue certainly do vary. I was chased out of New Jersey for logging a "find" rather than a "note" on Choreographed Chaos even though I had solved all of the ten grueling puzzles but had not done any of the "field challenges." I have also been critcized for giving out hints on my puzzles before the FTF. I can see all points of view, but in the end it seems if you just happen to stumble across some tupperware in the woods you are invited to log a "find." Since that is the case, my personal view is that anyone who manages to get their name on a logbook should be able to log a "find." I would take issue with anyone who claims to have solved something the hard way when they didn't, but (as I did on Chaos) so long as the log entry is fair and truthful, I have no problem with anyone claiming a smiley. After all, other than in our own minds, every smiley counts as one single cache find, from the simplest 1/1 urban micro to the most difficult 5/5.

I agree! Puzzle caches promote group interaction and a team building. They are can actually be more fun to find than other caches because of the group dynamics! I know I have "collaborated" with a variety of cachers on a variety of puzzles and those puzzles have provided hours of emails and fun! :)

Live and let live! :)

I agree! Puzzle caches promote group interaction and a team building. They are can actually be more fun to find than other caches because of the group dynamics! I know I have "collaborated" with a variety of cachers on a variety of puzzles and those puzzles have provided hours of emails and fun! :D

I'm really glad to see this discussion. Princess Toadstool is very good at puzzle solving. I am not. :)

I have actually not signed the log of a cache we have been to together because I knew I could never have figured out the puzzle . . . :D but one day, when we walked and walked and walked in "Puzzle Canyon," I created a new rule for myself . . . :)

If I walked more than half a mile to a puzzle cache, I would let myself log the find . . . :D

And, I hoped the cache owner would allow it . . .

I agree! Puzzle caches promote group interaction and a team building. They are can actually be more fun to find than other caches because of the group dynamics! I know I have "collaborated" with a variety of cachers on a variety of puzzles and those puzzles have provided hours of emails and fun! :)

Both of you, well said. In the end, it is for FUN and ENJOYMENT!

:)

Adelos