The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I agree! Puzzle caches promote group interaction and a team building. They are can actually be more fun to find than other caches because of the group dynamics! I know I have "collaborated" with a variety of cachers on a variety of puzzles and those puzzles have provided hours of emails and fun! :lol:

TG, thanks for the copy of your booklet ("San Diego Puzzle Caches for Dummies")! Ooops! Meant to send that privately... :)

I agree! Puzzle caches promote group interaction and a team building. They are can actually be more fun to find than other caches because of the group dynamics! I know I have "collaborated" with a variety of cachers on a variety of puzzles and those puzzles have provided hours of emails and fun!  :)

TG, thanks for the copy of your booklet ("San Diego Puzzle Caches for Dummies")! Ooops! Meant to send that privately... :lol:

I liked the second chapter myself! :lol:

I agree! Puzzle caches promote group interaction and a team building. They are can actually be more fun to find than other caches because of the group dynamics! I know I have "collaborated" with a variety of cachers on a variety of puzzles and those puzzles have provided hours of emails and fun!  :lol:

TG, thanks for the copy of your booklet ("San Diego Puzzle Caches for Dummies")! Ooops! Meant to send that privately... :lol:

I liked the second chapter myself! :)

Chapter 4 covers hitting yourself in the head like the monks in the Holy Grail....whenever you get stuck:

Pies lesu domine, donna eis requiem. [whack] Pies lesu domine,

[whack] donna eis requiem. [whack] Pies lesu domine,

[whack] donna eis requiem. [whack] Pies lesu domine...

:)

Chapter 4 covers hitting yourself in the head like the monks in the Holy Grail....whenever you get stuck:

Pies lesu domine, donna eis requiem. [whack] Pies lesu domine,

[whack] donna eis requiem. [whack] Pies lesu domine,

[whack] donna eis requiem. [whack] Pies lesu domine...

:lol:

Yes, this is the chapter on MASOCHISM! :)

Since that is the case, my personal view is that anyone who manages to get their name on a logbook should be able to log a "find."  I would take issue with anyone who claims to have solved something the hard way when they didn't, but (as I did on Chaos) so long as the log entry is fair and truthful, I have no problem with anyone claiming a smiley.  After all, other than in our own minds, every smiley counts as one single cache find, from the simplest 1/1 urban micro to the most difficult 5/5.

Very well put. Someday, I hope I will be able to speak with such eloquence.

I am going to let go of my feelings of animosity towards CacheSpoilers.com and its ilk. I've come to realize that my enjoyment of this game is untainted by the existance of such things. Thanks for broadening my mind... :lol:

Bring on the FUN and ENJOYMENT! (and yes, bring on the SADISM and MASOCHISM, too! :):lol: )

Since that is the case, my personal view is that anyone who manages to get their name on a logbook should be able to log a "find."  I would take issue with anyone who claims to have solved something the hard way when they didn't, but (as I did on Chaos) so long as the log entry is fair and truthful, I have no problem with anyone claiming a smiley.  After all, other than in our own minds, every smiley counts as one single cache find, from the simplest 1/1 urban micro to the most difficult 5/5.

Very well put. Someday, I hope I will be able to speak with such eloquence.

I am going to let go of my feelings of animosity towards CacheSpoilers.com and its ilk. I've come to realize that my enjoyment of this game is untainted by the existance of such things. Thanks for broadening my mind... :mad:

Bring on the FUN and ENJOYMENT! (and yes, bring on the SADISM and MASOCHISM, too! :lol::unsure: )

I hate it when I can't solve a puzzle by myself. Asking for help means I have conceded "defeat". But what I hate even more is an unfound cache. So, I won't hesitate to ask for help. How else am I going to learn? I learned to project waypoints from working on Pay Homage to the Master; from Token A I first learned about ciphers; etc...

The presumption has always been that the owner wants his/her cache to be found. If they didn't, they wouldn't offer assistance when asked.

Cool! I didn't know he added the San Deigo Geocacher's icon.

The Selector has been around awhile; he took it down when GC added the Attributes' icons as a feature earlier in the year, but due to popular demand (I sent him an email myself), he brought 'em back.

Edited by Chuy

Okay San Diego Cachers, got a question for our area. What do you consider to many waypoints in a multi?

I want to do our first multi and did not want to over do it. :anibad: I thought the pros here might have some good input. We want to to be good, yet challenging. We also want to have a higher difficuly because of the hide, not a puzzle.

Also, is it 'best practice' to have the mult-waypoint in the same around? Do people care? I figured we keep it in the general area of where you can park...

Just some thoughts, and thanks in advance!

Adelos

Okay San Diego Cachers, got a question for our area.  What do you consider to many waypoints in a multi? 

I want to do our first multi and did not want to over do it. :anibad:  I thought the pros here might have some good input.  We want to to be good, yet challenging.  We also want to have a higher difficuly because of the hide, not a puzzle.

Also, is it 'best practice' to have the mult-waypoint in the same around?  Do people care?  I figured we keep it in the general area of where you can park...

Adelos

My opinion is that every waypoint in a multi should be a cache! :lol:

Wouldn't that be nice! :anibad:

But seriously....I've done multis with 16 waypoints and that is a bit excessive. To me 3-5 is a reasonable amount. It really depends on how long it takes and how thrilling the waypoints are. I know that I've gotten in the car for Dan-oh multis but his waypoints are entertaining enough so that it is well worth the ride! :lol:

Edited by TrailGators
Okay San Diego Cachers, got a question for our area.  What do you consider to many waypoints in a multi? 

I want to do our first multi and did not want to over do it. :anibad:  I thought the pros here might have some good input.  We want to to be good, yet challenging.  We also want to have a higher difficuly because of the hide, not a puzzle.

Also, is it 'best practice' to have the mult-waypoint in the same around?  Do people care?  I figured we keep it in the general area of where you can park...

Adelos

My opinion is that every waypoint in a multi should be a cache! :lol:

Wouldn't that be nice! :lol:

But seriously....I've done multis with 16 waypoints and that is a bit excessive. To me 3-5 is a reasonable amount. It really depends on how long it takes and how thrilling the waypoints are. I know that I've gotten in the car for Dan-oh multis but his waypoints are entertaining enough so that it is well worth the ride! :anibad:

I agree with Pat. Any more than 5 gets tiresome. Plus if you're caching under time constraints (playing hookey from work/have to get the kids from school) it's nice to know how many WPs there are going to be in advance.

Okay San Diego Cachers, got a question for our area. What do you consider to many waypoints in a multi?

I want to do our first multi and did not want to over do it. :anibad: I thought the pros here might have some good input. We want to to be good, yet challenging. We also want to have a higher difficuly because of the hide, not a puzzle.

Also, is it 'best practice' to have the mult-waypoint in the same around? Do people care? I figured we keep it in the general area of where you can park...

Adelos

I would suggest that you go out and do a few more multi's in the San Diego area, some challenging and some not-so challenging multi's and you should have a good feel for what your looking for and what "we" are looking for.

Take a look at some of the "Favorite" multi's in this thread: Must Do Caches in San Diego

I just put together my first multi (The Rev. Henry Kane), it was partily based on what I percieved as "cool" from other caches I've done.

Have Fun!

PW

Adelos

I would suggest that you go out and do a few more multi's in the San Diego area, some challenging and some not-so challenging multi's and you should have a good feel for what your looking for and what "we" are looking for.

Take a look at some of the "Favorite" multi's in this thread: Must Do Caches in San Diego

I just put together my first multi (The Rev. Henry Kane), it was partily based on what I percieved as "cool" from other caches I've done.

Have Fun!

PW

I might be able to get the The Rev. Henry Kane This weekend, but it depends how much time I have. My friends wants to get the Indian Haed Peak. We will see. Thanks for the input and earlier link. I will have to try some more. I only have a couple multi under my belt currently.

Adelos

Edited by Team Adelos

I want to do our first multi and did not want to over do it. :D  I thought the pros here might have some good input.  We want to to be good, yet challenging.  We also want to have a higher difficuly because of the hide, not a puzzle.

Adelos

Have Fun!

PW

I might be able to get the The Rev. Henry Kane This weekend, but it depends how much time I have. My friends wants to get the Indian Haed Peak. We will see. Thanks for the input and earlier link. I will have to try some more. I only have a couple multi under my belt currently.

Adelos

I'm pretty sure that the SDCET will be doing that one tomorrow! Check the SD Events thread for details! :laughing:

I want to do our first multi and did not want to over do it. :P  I thought the pros here might have some good input.  We want to to be good, yet challenging.  We also want to have a higher difficuly because of the hide, not a puzzle.

Adelos

My Preferences:

* If it makes sense, do a series instead of just a multicache especially if it'll take more than one day to complete.

* 3 or 4 WP (including the cache) is about right.

* If possible, make it so that you don't have to move your car to complete the cache.

* Letting people know how many WPs is good (otherwise you can get logs that say "There was no log in the cache..." when all they've done is find the first WP. Don't laugh. I know of an example in Poway.)

* Try to give each WP a unique twist. Don't make each stop the same as the last.

Incidently, one of my favorite caches "LXG" violates some of these guidelines so don't consider any of these as hard and fast rules. :D

One other thing --- DON'T make a 50-stop multicache that consists of solely of film cans hidden in the bases of light posts! :laughing:

Anyone having problems with the search function in the Forums?

Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Sorry, but you do not have permission to use this feature. If you are not logged in, you may do so using the form below if available.

My opinion is that every waypoint in a multi should be a cache!  :laughing:

Wouldn't that be nice!  :P

But seriously....I've done multis with 16 waypoints and that is a bit excessive. To me 3-5 is a reasonable amount. It really depends on how long it takes and how thrilling the waypoints are. I know that I've gotten in the car for Dan-oh multis but his waypoints are entertaining enough so that it is well worth the ride!  :D

I happen to know about a really cool 16 WP multi cache. It even has the option of doing MORE waypoints! :D

Here's my .02, pretty much in line with the group.

- walkable stages work great unless the theme or "epic-ness" of the cache requires other

- after approximately 3 WPs, you better be holding their attention with something fun or something brutally hard for the masochists in the grou[

- for the love of Pete, don't use the WP formula of "multiply the number of ants by the year the Paris Hilton died and subtract out the number of flag poles acrss the street" formula!

- if you do use the "multiply the number of ants..." formula, make sure the cacher knows 100% that they've found the next stage. They might be counting tthe wrong grouping of trash bags. or flag poles.

- have durable WP tags that aren't going to blow away or get wet with the first rain

Hey, I'm a celebrity and know about this stuff. :D Just ask PodCacher.com, show #28!

*Cough* Gotta go to the book signing next...

My opinion is that every waypoint in a multi should be a cache!  :D

Wouldn't that be nice!  :D

But seriously....I've done multis with 16 waypoints and that is a bit excessive. To me 3-5 is a reasonable amount. It really depends on how long it takes and how thrilling the waypoints are. I know that I've gotten in the car for Dan-oh multis but his waypoints are entertaining enough so that it is well worth the ride!  :laughing:

I happen to know about a really cool 16 WP multi cache. It even has the option of doing MORE waypoints! :D

Here's my .02, pretty much in line with the group.

- walkable stages work great unless the theme or "epic-ness" of the cache requires other

- after approximately 3 WPs, you better be holding their attention with something fun or something brutally hard for the masochists in the grou[

- for the love of Pete, don't use the WP formula of "multiply the number of ants by the year the Paris Hilton died and subtract out the number of flag poles acrss the street" formula!

- if you do use the "multiply the number of ants..." formula, make sure the cacher knows 100% that they've found the next stage. They might be counting tthe wrong grouping of trash bags. or flag poles.

- have durable WP tags that aren't going to blow away or get wet with the first rain

Hey, I'm a celebrity and know about this stuff. :D Just ask PodCacher.com, show #28!

*Cough* Gotta go to the book signing next...

Snakes and Ladders is the exception to the rule! Awesome multi! All you numbers people should take a break and do that one! :D RocketMan, Fkrexcal and I were the second group to do that one so it took us like 10-12 hours to complete the mission! I also remember running into Flagman for the first time on that one. Then we all met up with Kevin and Susan who are still stuck on 999 caches! :P That cache was the start of my masochistic phase! :D But the real reason I want others to do that one is because now I've entered into my sadistic phase! Bwa ha ha! :D

Edited by TrailGators
For those of you looking to "spice" up your cache page a bit Mr. 9Key has been generous enough to add the San Diego Geocachers logo to "The Selector" program that with automatically generate html code for you to cut and paste into your cache page!

The Selector

Example:

Very cool! Thanks for including the link. I used it on my newest cache, "On the Way to Gaskill Peak."

d12a6740-b016-474f-9d7e-ffcd7cc9706c.jpg

SMOKEY placed a cache at the top of that rockpile today. :laughing:

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! Keep it coming. :laughing: I makes good readin'.. :D I think a 3 point multi will be my initial aim. I know right where to put it, and I should be able to do cammo work.

I think other thing to do that would be important is to do recon before just taking containers out. Then make the containers meet the need of the hide, rather than find a hide for the container. Cool ideas.. I hope my first one will hold its own.

Adelos

I want to do our first multi and did not want to over do it. :laughing: I thought the pros here might have some good input. We want to to be good, yet challenging. We also want to have a higher difficuly because of the hide, not a puzzle.

Adelos

The "Twoo Wuv" Series started as a multi. I had all the containers placed. Each container had a puzzle to solve to get the coordinates for the next stage. Then I thought, "This is way too much work for one smiley." So I went back to each waypoint, pulled the puzzles, and re-created it as a series.

Three or four sounds about right to me, unless there's a good reason for more. Just ask yourself if it's something you would enjoy. If it is, we'll probably enjoy it as well.

Hi Gang,

I've been missing the SD threads the last couple of days. We officially moved into our house yesterday. Here is the score:

37 boxes missing.

5 items damaged (so far)

Stains on walls and carpet

Today:

They found and delivered our missing boxes (I think).

Got Comcast cable and internet hooked up.

Spent a few hours figuring out how to get my router to work with Comcast (They don't want it to work because they want you to pay monthly for their home networking package).

Spent way too much time trying to get the network wiring in the house to work only to find out they screwed up the CAT5 outlet in my office.

Fixed the network wiring and am finally able to get internet in my office with the cable modem and router hooked up in the basement.

So here I am typing this up on my laptop because I have not yet hooked up any of the desktop computers yet (crap). And did I mention that we have over 200 boxes to unpack. Moving sucks. I'm going to bed.

RocketMan

Edit: I forgot to mention that it's going to get down to 3 F tonight. Nothing like going into the garage to try to find that USB cable that is buried in a box somewhere and freezing your A$% off.

Edited by RocketMan
Here is the score:

37 boxes missing.

5 items damaged (so far)

My score:

I departed Australia Feb 11.

My property departed Australia April 24th.

My property arrived San Diego August 30.

Three days before arrival the US consignor calls to say that they already have a list of misisng boxes.

Property arrives.

Missing: 7 out of 61 packing boxes.

Damaged: PC HD (that really hurt) 3 other boxes damaged.

Insurance notified September 3 with invoices and repair costs.

Insurance finalised Dec 16th.

Go figure.