The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

...Santa also brought me a terrible case of poison oak (I think I got it doing Railroad and Hwy 52).  I think the chances of getting poison oak are worse in the winter time when all the leaves are dead and on the ground so you can't see them...  :o

I did that cache a couple of hours after you and made it through unscathed - PO wise. Did you venture off the trail much? I did at #1 and #2, but never saw PO, and, I'm allergic to the stuff. Shoot, I see PO and I start itching.

...Santa also brought me a terrible case of poison oak (I think I got it doing Railroad and Hwy 52).  I think the chances of getting poison oak are worse in the winter time when all the leaves are dead and on the ground so you can't see them...  :o

I did that cache a couple of hours after you and made it through unscathed - PO wise. Did you venture off the trail much? I did at #1 and #2, but never saw PO, and, I'm allergic to the stuff. Shoot, I see PO and I start itching.

At WP1, I searched all around the nearby tree, and that is a likely location for the PO. You do not need to leave the trail to find WP1. At WP2, I searched all around the trees to the left of the trail, including the dead stumps, and fallen trunks. This is also a likely area for PO. You do need to leave the trail for this one, but only about 20 feet or so, and you don't need to go all the way up to the base of the trees -- just to one of the big branches that is on the ground. At WP3, I never really left the trail more than a couple feet. Same for WP4 and the final. I understand that Team Garcia may be relocating some of the waypoints, so check for updates before going after this one. It is also entirely possible that I got the stuff the day before, but Marian Bear has lots of the stuff, so I suspect that's where I picked it up. The problem is in the winter the leaves are all dead and on the ground, so it is all but impossible to spot it.

<snip> The problem is in the winter the leaves are all dead and on the ground, so it is all but impossible to spot it.

Thats something I've wondered about, just how easy it is to get PO from the bare stems. I learned way back in scouts to avoid bare stems but I've never heard of a confirmed case.

Kinda confirmed now but not 100%

Hey, hope you feel better Tom!

<snip> The problem is in the winter the leaves are all dead and on the ground, so it is all but impossible to spot it.

Thats something I've wondered about, just how easy it is to get PO from the bare stems. I learned way back in scouts to avoid bare stems but I've never heard of a confirmed case.

Kinda confirmed now but not 100%

Hey, hope you feel better Tom!

Especially if the branches have been broken and are leaking sap. :o The voice of experience speaking

You can't just tell us about your poison oak problem with posting pictures.  Come on, give us a look.  :angry:

I'm not THAT cruel. It would take you forever to clean your keyboard...

Chuy is teaching me to "participate" in the forums. He said if I didn't come say Hi he would never visit any of my caches again..so here I am. I picked this topic to comment on because I actually SAW Flagman's legs and just wanted to cry!!! It's the worse case I've ever seen. To think he was out Bushwhacking in Puzzle Valley yesterday. Now that is a true cacher!!! :antenna: I've even heard you get it worse the next time!!! Bye Chuy!!

I had a unique cache muggling in the past few days... :wub:

I got a call from Jess yesterday saying John had checked on my Beep Beep 2 cache, and part of it was missing!

I drove over there, and sure enough, the clown mask had been stolen. The interesting part was this...both the mask, and the actual cache container were tied together with nylon pull-string. I also had the string secured to the side of the structure. This kept them both safe from falling in.

Now, someone took the time to sever the string, (it appears to have been burned off), and then actually re-secured the cache container to part of the structure! :antenna:

So, they took the mask, but left the cache there. I would figure kids that wanted to steal the mask would have just grabbed the whole thing and run off with it...

Or, maybe it was just Dan-oh's missing NY gator. :angry:

You can't just tell us about your poison oak problem with posting pictures.  Come on, give us a look.  :o

I'm not THAT cruel. It would take you forever to clean your keyboard...

Chuy is teaching me to "participate" in the forums. He said if I didn't come say Hi he would never visit any of my caches again..so here I am. I picked this topic to comment on because I actually SAW Flagman's legs and just wanted to cry!!! It's the worse case I've ever seen. To think he was out Bushwhacking in Puzzle Valley yesterday. Now that is a true cacher!!! :mad: I've even heard you get it worse the next time!!! Bye Chuy!!

Welcome to the forums.......Good place to catch up on the news in the area!!!!! And have fun doing it!!!!!!

:antenna::angry::wub::(

I had a unique cache muggling in the past few days... :)

I got a call from Jess yesterday saying John had checked on my Beep Beep 2 cache, and part of it was missing!

I drove over there, and sure enough, the clown mask had been stolen. The interesting part was this...both the mask, and the actual cache container were tied together with nylon pull-string. I also had the string secured to the side of the structure. This kept them both safe from falling in.

Now, someone took the time to sever the string, (it appears to have been burned off), and then actually re-secured the cache container to part of the structure! :wub:

So, they took the mask, but left the cache there. I would figure kids that wanted to steal the mask would have just grabbed the whole thing and run off with it...

Or, maybe it was just Dan-oh's missing NY gator. :laughing:

that is a bummer. I just told a cacher we ran into from out of town that it was an interesting urban cache he should stop by and do. ;)

I had a unique cache muggling in the past few days... :)

Now, someone took the time to sever the string, (it appears to have been burned off), and then actually re-secured the cache container to part of the structure!  ;)

Or, maybe it was just Dan-oh's missing NY gator. :wub:

that is a bummer. I just told a cacher we ran into from out of town that it was an interesting urban cache he should stop by and do. :laughing:

That sucks! ;) It is very strange that the thieves took the time to secure the cache back in place....

Anyhow, that was an awesome cache! :wub:

But now all we have is a photo of it.....

7ed875ae-f28e-4442-98ae-2d96bacb6ec4.jpg

*C4 let me know if you want me to delete this photo....

Edited by TrailGators

Hi Everyone-

I'd like to enlist anyone's help who might be caching in the Scripps Ranch/Poway/Sabre Springs area tomorrow. I seem to have lost my IPAQ PDA somewhere near Sea Monkey Central (GCJNKV) or the park that is nearby. Other caches where I might have lost it are Tanker Tanker and 10th Birthday cache (GCGE0D) both of these are at the nearby park. If you find it please let me know.

Hi Everyone-

I'd like to enlist anyone's help who might be caching in the Scripps Ranch/Poway/Sabre Springs area tomorrow. I seem to have lost my IPAQ PDA somewhere near Sea Monkey Central (GCJNKV) or the park that is nearby. Other caches where I might have lost it are Tanker Tanker and 10th Birthday cache (GCGE0D) both of these are at the nearby park. If you find it please let me know.

Ouch! :laughing:

Hi Everyone-

Bummer! If I were you I'd be grabbing a flashlight and heading back out there tonight.....

I had a unique cache muggling in the past few days... B)

Now, someone took the time to sever the string, (it appears to have been burned off), and then actually re-secured the cache container to part of the structure!  :o

Or, maybe it was just Dan-oh's missing NY gator. :D

that is a bummer. I just told a cacher we ran into from out of town that it was an interesting urban cache he should stop by and do. B)

That sucks! B) It is very strange that the thieves took the time to secure the cache back in place....

Anyhow, that was an awesome cache! :D

But now all we have is a photo of it.....

7ed875ae-f28e-4442-98ae-2d96bacb6ec4.jpg

*C4 let me know if you want me to delete this photo....

No Worries!

It was fun while it lasted! No heart attacks, no serious injuries, and no dirty underwear! (At least not that anyone admitted to!) :D

Hi Everyone-

;);):)A HUGE THANKS TO TOMBMAKER for finding my IPAQ!!! :D:):)

Now if someone comes up with The Dillon Gangs new Garmin 60CS at Spamalicious all will be right with the world again. Geocaching world that is. Happy New Year to ALL.

Hi Everyone-

;):);)A HUGE THANKS TO TOMBMAKER for finding my IPAQ!!! :):D:)

Now if someone comes up with The Dillon Gangs new Garmin 60CS at Spamalicious all will be right with the world again. Geocaching world that is. Happy New Year to ALL.

Great news about the IPAQ! Bummer about the 60CS....maybe taking some scuba gear out there might reveal the location of Dillon Gang's 60CS on the bottom of the river?

What do you think about this?

??????????????????

We arrived before 5:30...$kimmer and Vulture were there a little after.

Event was going well by 6:30....

Did not sign log....

Did he attend or????

We met that guy a couple of days ago while caching in RB. He is a big guy so I don't think you would have missed seeing him....

He said it was a quiet bar...

The event pub was not quiet....at 5:30 or any time after...

I think he went to the wrong place.

Edited by GoBolts!
What do you think about this?

??????????????????

We arrived before 5:30...$kimmer and Vulture were there a little after.

Event was going well by 6:30....

Did not sign log....

Did he attend or????

We met that guy a couple of days ago while caching in RB. He is a big guy so I don't think you would have missed seeing him....

The event pub was not quiet....at 5:30 or any time after...

"....and no one who looked like a cacher." What does he think cachers looks like?

The part that bugs me the most is that he dissed us in his log...."I will make sure that Bay Area meets are never like this." ;)

Edited by TrailGators

The event pub was not quite....at 5:30 or any time after...

Saw that last night. Things were really getting rolling at 6 and as you say, it was never quiet there (at least by my definition...) We were relatively close to the front door and we had a WJTB parked on our table. Guess he didn't see that either. It does make me wonder if he went to the wrong place. There is another Blarney Stone on 5th Ave. Maybe he went there? ;)

I sent him an e-mail saying that we were sorry that he missed us and expressing surprise that he didn't see us... I haven't, as yet, gotten a reply.

The event pub was not quite....at 5:30 or any time after...

Saw that last night. Things were really getting rolling at 6 and as you say, it was never quiet there (at least by my definition...) We were relatively close to the front door and we had a WJTB parked on our table. Guess he didn't see that either. It does make me wonder if he went to the wrong place. There is another Blarney Stone on 5th Ave. Maybe he went there? ;)

I sent him an e-mail saying that we were sorry that he missed us and expressing surprise that he didn't see us... I haven't, as yet, gotten a reply.

Since he's not from here I'm betting that he would have used the coords posted on the event page....

The part that bugs me the most is that he dissed us in his log...."I will make sure that Bay Area meets are never like this." ;)

Not very diplomatic, admittedly, but just to play devil's advocate, if I had taken the trouble to go out to an event and, apparently, no one had shown up, I probably would have been pretty miffed myself. (Hopefully, though, I would manage to not express my ill-feelings publically.)

The part that bugs me the most is that he dissed us in his log...."I will make sure that Bay Area meets are never like this."  ;)

Not very diplomatic, admittedly, but just to play devil's advocate, if I had taken the trouble to go out to an event and, apparently, no one had shown up, I probably would have been pretty miffed myself. (Hopefully, though, I would manage to not express my ill-feelings publically.)

Well at least us "San Diego" cachers would use the coords posted on the event site! ;)

The part that bugs me the most is that he dissed us in his log...."I will make sure that Bay Area meets are never like this."  ;)

I e-mailed him also...I think I was nice and diplomatic...

I explained that we were there and that he may have had the wrong bar.

I also asked him what he thought was fair...

I think my e-mail was totaly un "GoBolts!" like...

Edited by GoBolts!
;)  :)  ;)A HUGE THANKS TO TOMBMAKER for finding my IPAQ!!!  :)  :D  :)

Consider this. A cacher starts a perfectly normal day. He inadvertantly takes a ring that belongs to a cursed Pirate (Gipionysius and the Pirates). Later that day, he loses his IPAQ and all the details of his life with it. He becomes a mere shadow of his former self. The following day, he returns the ring. His IPAQ, along his life, are returned to normal. Was this coincidence.....? Or did he cross over into...

...The Twilight Zone!!!

Doot-doo-doot-doo-doot-doo-doot-doo...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!! :unsure::blink::P:D:D:lol:

Yes!

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!! :)

BTW, I just looked at my puzzle count. Oh my, I have planted 20 puzzles in December alone! Sooooooo, my new years resolution will be to keep that number up! Just kidding. lol

Seriously though, I hope everyone has a SAFE and Healthy New Year!

Long live the Geocacher!

:D

Team Adelos

The part that bugs me the most is that he dissed us in his log...."I will make sure that Bay Area meets are never like this."  :ph34r:

I e-mailed him also...I think I was nice and diplomatic...

I explained that we were there and that he may have had the wrong bar.

I also asked him what he thought was fair...

I think my e-mail was totaly un "GoBolts!" like...

The posted coords were not for the bar; it was for the main entrance by, I think, Togos. Only 'cause I've been here before did I know, roughly, where to go, and, of course, I knew the name of the pub.