The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

We need a "cache event" calendar - I'm losing track and I'd like to take part.  Can someone rehash what's currently on the docket?  Are they all this Saturday?  :anitongue:

This Saturday is Joshua Tree if you want to camp at Indian Cove (and geocache)

Sunday evening is Princess Toadstool organizing the evening/night caching

Thanksgiving is the 630am start (place to be determined) for the Sandy Creek geocache series. That is all I know.

I will be going for The Forbidden Forest on Sat night if all goes well. Anyone else want to go?

So who gets to wake me up on Turkey Day? It has been years since I saw 6:30am. :ph34r:

That one sounds do-able! What time? I'm wondering if my kids can handle it :ph34r:

There's a good chance I can make it too! It sounds like a pretty cool cache!

Once we get our post count here to record levels, maybe we should spin off a SD "cache event" thread (unlike "event caches", these would be events to group hunt for certain caches) to make it easier to keep track of such events. The post count here is so high that they slip off onto old pages in a day or two. :anitongue:

Once we get our post count here to record levels, maybe we should spin off a SD "cache event" thread (unlike "event caches", these would be events to group hunt for certain caches) to make it easier to keep track of such events. The post count here is so high that they slip off onto old pages in a day or two. :anitongue:

It's funny that you mention that. I was thinking about doing something similar for CO cachers to try to get some group caching adventures going here. I was going to call it Colorado Caching Caravans (C cubed) or something like that. RM

Once we get our post count here to record levels, maybe we should spin off a SD "cache event" thread (unlike "event caches", these would be events to group hunt for certain caches) to make it easier to keep track of such events. The post count here is so high that they slip off onto old pages in a day or two. :ph34r:

It's funny that you mention that. I was thinking about doing something similar for CO cachers to try to get some group caching adventures going here. I was going to call it Colorado Caching Caravans (C cubed) or something like that. RM

I agree about splitting off threads! The other SD threads have helped to focus the discussion in specific areas. It's nice to be able to visit this thread, Yrium cards, Banter (Photoshop), Congrats, and "This Just In" separately instead of having them all mixed together. Having them all mixed together was analogous to going to a party and listening to every conversation simultaneously. :anitongue:

So somebody should start a new group outing thread for SD! Maybe call it "SD GO"! It would be nice if it was somebody that hasn't already started a new thread yet. Maybe start with the Forbidden Forest group cache that was supposed to happen tonight but I have heard nada! :ph34r: Anybody still game? I rather not do it really late...8PMish sounds good to me...

Edited by TrailGators

Once we get our post count here to record levels, maybe we should spin off a SD "cache event" thread (unlike "event caches", these would be events to group hunt for certain caches) to make it easier to keep track of such events. The post count here is so high that they slip off onto old pages in a day or two. :ph34r:

How about COGO! (Colorago Group Outings)?

Has a nice ring to it....

"Have you checked out the COGO site lately?" :anitongue:

"Have you checked out the COGO site lately?" :ph34r:

COGO sounds good but I am not sure about the "Group Outings" part of it. That elicits an image of something else. :anitongue:

"Have you checked out the COGO site lately?" :drama:

COGO sounds good but I am not sure about the "Group Outings" part of it. That elicits an image of something else. :ph34r:

Then it's a good thing I didn't make an acronym for something else I was thinking... :anitongue:

Edited by TrailGators

OK, I got got a hold of duganrm and we are going to meet at the starting coords of Forbidden Forest at 7:30PM!!! So anyone that wants to join us is more than welcome to come!!!

OK, I got got a hold of duganrm and we are going to meet at the starting coords of Forbidden Forest at 7:30PM!!! So anyone that wants to join us is more than welcome to come!!!

Ha! We're early birds, been there done that and are back home before you guys even get started! :anitongue:

Ha! We're early birds, been there done that and are back home before you guys even get started! :lol:

that was my fault. cell wasn't working properly while at Birch Aquarium.

You drop a geocaching pin of some sort? I found one on the ground at the Black Box?

Speaking of Geocaching Events, I send my greetings from Staten Island and NJ where I decided sort of at the last minute to fly out and join TT's assemblage of fools to make a run at a 5/5 cache called FEAR. Here's a link to the forum page describing the event. I called a few others that I thought might make the pilgrimage, and only Jess could break away on short notice, so it was the two of us. We tried our best to keep the whole thing quiet -- the idea was to totally surprise Jeff by just showing up at the posted coords. Mission accomplished! We went out yesterday and conquered all but our final fears, and fell short only for lack of some specialized equipment. We have all been sworn to secrecy about the whole adventure, but if you look quickly you can probably still see some pictures that one of the group posted -- I suspect the cache owner will eventually delete that log 'cause it gives a lot away. FEAR. Jeff and Locaroja give everyone their best. I can sort of sum things up this way:

Round Trip Tickets to NY: $420

Hotel Room: Comped

Rental Car: A little less than the airfare

Look on Jeff's face when he drove up at 10:00 a.m. and saw us standing at the parking coordinates: Priceless!

I promise to release some more of the YMS #24 cards when I get back into town and have, 1) cleaned all the swamp mud off my body, 2) raised my body temperature to a level where I can move without pain, 3) deoderized myself, and 4) recovered from the bramble cuts and scratches.

pqmommy, I can confirm that Jeff does, in fact, have a girlfriend...

FEAR not for seesies....

C-YA!

Speaking of Geocaching Events, I send my greetings from Staten Island and NJ where I decided sort of at the last minute to fly out and join TT's assemblage of fools to make a run at a 5/5 cache called FEAR. Here's a link to the forum page describing the event.

Sounds like a fun time Tom. I can't wait to read the other stories from the folks in the group. Have a good flight home. RM

Speaking of Geocaching Events, I send my greetings from Staten Island and NJ where I decided sort of at the last minute to fly out and join TT's assemblage of fools to make a run at a 5/5 cache called FEARHere's a link to the forum page describing the event.

Sounds like a fun time Tom. I can't wait to read the other stories from the folks in the group. Have a good flight home. RM

That was very cool Tom! Glad you and Jess had a great time! :P Briansnat documented the adventure very well with lots of nice photos!

I miss those swamps! Not! :lol:

c8594bd2-680a-41b7-9792-7ac8f6b1bfd9.jpg

On a side note...I noticed that you guys got to meet the king of the forums, Briansnat. He has an incredible 15,245 forum posts! B) The guy in second is ~2500 posts behind..at the moment. You can tell that he loves to write just by the length of his log for Fear. I think everybody that has ever posted on the main forums has chatted with him a few times....

BTW what's next...Gaithersburg, MD to bag that Planet Ape cache! :D I think you can get a ticket on Southwest into BWI for $200!!

Edited by TrailGators
And now you'll have to spend the next couple of months being very nice to Mrs. FlagMan to make up for the adventure.  ;)  :)

The pictures were great, saw them last night. With what you experienced there, do I see a similar 5/5 coming in a county near you?

No! No! Not that! Arrgh! I can't clear out the area the way it is, thanks to Jeff. ;) Oh well!

Hey, put it in the Southbay area. Yea, yea! Then I won't have to worry about it. :(:)

Just got back from the Proctor Valley Monster Project cache! Had a great time meeting everyone for the first time. I know some pictures were taken so hopefully they will get posted. Thanks to veryone who made the hike with us! The kids had the best time. ;)

Paul

Team Adelos

Edited by Team Adelos
Just got back from the Proctor Valley Monster Project cache! Had a great time meeting everyone for the first time. I know some pictures were taken so hopefully they will get posted. Thanks to veryone who made the hike with us! The kids had the best time. :(

Paul

Team Adelos

was a grand time.....THANKS TO PRINCESS TOADSTOOL for getting it together...... ;);):)

Finally!!!......THANKSGIVING DAY the SANDY CREEK COWBOY CACHES.

We will meet at 7am at the Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache #3 . That is the one that is in need of the ladder.  We will proceed from there. After putting them all on my GPS it looked like this was the closest to San Diego.......course I could be wrong but ........I have been wrong before but this is where we will start.

Look forward to seeing a whole lot of you there. Course even if you have done these you can come along to cheer or laugh !!!!! ;)  :(  ;)  :)

Right across the road from No. 3 is La Fantasma de los Cruces cache, the ruin of the old Buckman Hotel. Very historic so I hope that all of you will read up on the local history lessons of several cowboy caches. Learn about the Buckmans and the Camerons for sure.

La Fantasma is a cowboy cache as well but placed and named before the series was initiated.

Have fun,

Harmon

I just get back from getting my 200th (if I counted right) cache in Joshua tree, hike to the top of a hill in the dark with 14 other people and get home to find out......there is an assignment for Thanksgivings geocaching outing....YI YI YI :):D:D:( I will look the history up as I love history which is why I am really enjoying geocaching.

PassingWind and I kicked some butt today too, on the Yukon. Will have some photos and more details soon...

Yep....

Yukon Cache: 0

PW&Dr.B: 1

<_<

Great day for San Diego Geocachers. Jess and I bagged FEAR (5/5) and I logged Choreographed Chaos (5/5) as well. That's 5x 5/5 caches in one day!

Way to go on all of the 5/5's everyone.

BTW: The posts on the 5/5's put us over the top! <_<

c1a82f7f-f49a-4f8a-86d3-49afe59edeee.jpg

PassingWind and I kicked some butt today too, on the Yukon. Will have some photos and more details soon...

Yep....

<_<

Great day for San Diego Geocachers. Jess and I bagged FEAR (5/5) and I logged Choreographed Chaos (5/5) as well. That's 5x 5/5 caches in one day!

Way to go on all of the 5/5's everyone.

BTW: The posts on the 5/5's put us over the top! <_<

c1a82f7f-f49a-4f8a-86d3-49afe59edeee.jpg

Bwah-ha-ha! ... piling on.

Yep....

<_<

Time for the folks that were bad mouthing this cache to post their apologies.

No apologies from me.

The bottom line is...You do not send a cache for approval..If:

A. You have not placed the cache yet.

B. You do not know the correct coordinates.

Yep....

:huh:

You guys are ANIMALS! How awesome a cache to find under water! ;) I am glad it all worked out. I should probably re-cert to do that dive. Very cool pictures! Can you rent those cameras?

Adelos

You guys are ANIMALS!  How awesome a cache to find under water!  ;)  I am glad it all worked out.  I should probably re-cert to do that dive.  Very cool pictures!  Can you rent those cameras?

Adelos

Yes, you can rent the camera....pay for my dives and I'll take the photos! ;)

PassingWind

I'm debating if I should take up skuba diving so I can find tupperware in toilets a the bottom of the ocean... :huh:

Actually I did skuba dive one time in Maui and it was a blast! ;)

You guys are ANIMALS! How awesome a cache to find under water! ;) I am glad it all worked out. I should probably re-cert to do that dive. Very cool pictures! Can you rent those cameras?

Not one like Jason has, but you can probably rent something basic. I have an underwater housing for my (old) digital camera that I bought for a couple of hundred bucks - it's definitely possible to do some reasonable u/w photography for a few hundred. You may even already have a camera for which a housing is available - have a look here.

The Yukon cache was very exciting, but also pretty serious diving, so you'd want to be equipped and prepared for cold deep water, dark enclosed environments, and rummaging around near toilets. Fun stuff like that. :huh: