The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Who's want to join me to complete the Proctor Valley Monster Cache? (GCG0A2)

I know Team Adelos wanted to do it at a full moon.  I'm thinking next Saturday or Sunday night at about 6 p.m. I'm not sure the moon will be full then but at least there WILL be a moon.

We have a wedding on Saturday, but maybe Sunday. :D I will have to see what is gong on. I never get out as much as I want to! We have been wanting to do that one for some time. Weather has to be good though. I dont think you want to be out there if it is raining...

Adelos

Let's meet Sunday November 19 at 6 p.m. at the trailhead. All are welcome. Bring flashlights or headlamps and whatever monster-scaring devices you have. :P

Looks like the 19th is a Saturday and 20th is a Sunday. Wanna confirm which one?

My calendar sure looks like an '05 but it could be something else. :P

Sounds like fun!

Is anyone in contact with or know Curl Factor? We have noticed that the Hangman's Highway cache has been out of commission for quite a while. We emailed Curl Factor offering to adopt the cache but have yet to receive a response. If we never get a response, is there another way to adopt the cache?

So, what on earth is going on with the Yukon cache?? Has it even been placed? Did you get out there yesterday PW? Why the SBA notice?

PW went the opposite direction yesterday. I ran across his sticker at The Basilisk (GCPX5Q) while out in the desert.

:D looks like we just missed you dunganrm...glad the pack of wild kids didn't attack.

The Yukon.......not worth it. :P

Is anyone in contact with or know Curl Factor? We have noticed that the Hangman's Highway cache has been out of commission for quite a while. We emailed Curl Factor offering to adopt the cache but have yet to receive a response. If we never get a response, is there another way to adopt the cache?

for the last 6 months I have e-mailed him and So cal about addopting it...no response.

for the last 6 months I have e-mailed him and So cal about addopting it...no response.

Just replace it and enter the Kache Kharma Hall of Fame.......then it's legit :D

Just replace it and enter the Kache Kharma Hall of Fame.......then it's legit :D

Yeah, I think I will just replace and post it on the boards. It is so close to our home that it's annoying to see it on our list and inactive. :P

I've been trying to contact Curl Factor about another cache, The Treasure of the Three Stars (GCM5H8), which I haven't been able to find in several attempts. I have had equally little success in contacting him. (If someone has the coords, let me know and I'll contact you privately to compare my coords -- it's always possible that I'm looking in the wrong place...)

Just replace it and enter the Kache Kharma Hall of Fame.......then it's legit  :D

The problem with just replacing the cache is that Hangman's Highway is listed as disabled. Someone will have to re-enable it. Perhaps it would be better to ask for it to be archived and open up that space for a new cache that will actually be maintained by its owner. (It took three months from the time it filled up with water until it was disabled and it's been many months since it was disabled. )

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

I haven't been doing much caching lately, but yesterday I went out and reminded myself why I love it. I only had a few hours, and a new pair of hiking boots, so I went to climb Cowles Mountain in MTRP. I hadn't ever been up there before, and knew from guidebooks etc that it was only 1.5 miles to the top. I assumed that there would be caches on the trail up there, as it was MTRP after all!

Beautiful temperature for hiking yesterday afternoon, and lots of folks seemed to agree with me - the trail was heaving with people! Made it to the summit in just over half an hour, including the small detour to Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise. I had planned to just go up and come back down again, but there was another cache close by (Golfcrest Overlook), so I took the trail towards Pyle's Peak to find that. I had seen a sign saying that Pyle's Peak was only 1.5 miles from the the top of Cowles, so I continued along there. There were also hardly any people on this trail - after leaving the top of Cowles I only saw 2 other people the entire rest of the hike.

Halfway along there's a mini-peak with the slightly sneaky Santee Overlook cache nestled in an impressive rock outcropping right on the edge of the mountain. Then I went on to Pyle's Peak, which got my blood flowing again, and found the venerable Pyle Driver. Nice views of the northern parts of MTRP from up here. Then I went to make the loop back down via A Penguin Adventure, planning to do the last mile on Golfcrest road in case it got dark before I got back to the car.

Total hike was just under 5.5 miles with 5 caches - about right I think, so you feel like you're actually out there seeing the sights and getting some exercise, instead of just staring at your GPSr for the next 528 feet. I didn't place any new ones because I didn't want to start another cache war like there is on the Fortunas!

:D looks like we just missed you duganrm...glad the pack of wild kids didn't attack.

The Yukon.......not worth it. :P

I think we missed you by close to 5-6 hours. Can't remember whether it was 10 or 11am on your log. I made it up to the top around 4pm (although we started wandering in the area around 3). Those must be some strong mountain goat like kids to have made it to the top of that. :P

The road out there actually did us in. We got Rogue's Ranger stuck on a little bump in the road. Thankfully a couple kind people in Jeeps stopped and helped us push it out. :P

So, what on earth is going on with the Yukon cache?? Has it even been placed? Did you get out there yesterday PW? Why the SBA notice?

It appears the whole thing is a hoax...

Why do people do things like this? Not cool, not cool at all. Another thing, we don't get is why cachers take TBs and then don't log taking them. We have witnessed a cacher remove a TB (PSCAT TB) that has yet to be logged as removed. Guess there is always going to be a few bad apples. :D

OK you puzzlers:

I am a word of meanings three.

Three ways of spelling me there be.

The first is an odour, a smell if you will.

The second some money, but not in a bill.

The third is past tense, a method of passing things on or around.

Can you tell me now, what these words are, that have the same sound?

Scent, cent, and sent

Why do people do things like this? Not cool, not cool at all. Another thing, we don't get is why cachers take TBs and then don't log taking them. We have witnessed a cacher remove a TB (PSCAT TB) that has yet to be logged as removed. Guess there is always going to be a few bad apples. :D

Sorry to say that it happens allot...

If you look back in the forums...I have called out several cachers...

None in San Diego County...(just a little north)...They are some of the biggest cachers in the world and Have "tool-boxed" (notice I did not call them a "tool") :P White and Yellow Jeeps. They are so bold to have said they were going to keep them for there collection and then dropped them off in there own, archived caches.

OK you puzzlers:

Scent, cent, and sent

That's all well and good...

...but how do you translate these into coordinates...? :lol::rolleyes:

OK you puzzlers:

Scent, cent, and sent

Very good Tex&Capie!

Ironically that puzzle was really just non sense! :rolleyes: I ran across it today and thought I'd throw it out there....Some of us do do puzzles now and then! Obviously whoever wrote it was British because odor was spelled odour..."not that there's anything wrong with that!"

Edited by TrailGators
I haven't been doing much caching lately, but yesterday I went out and reminded myself why I love it. I only had a few hours, and a new pair of hiking boots, so I went to climb Cowles Mountain in MTRP. I hadn't ever been up there before, and knew from guidebooks etc that it was only 1.5 miles to the top. I assumed that there would be caches on the trail up there, as it was MTRP after all!

Beautiful temperature for hiking yesterday afternoon, and lots of folks seemed to agree with me - the trail was heaving with people! Made it to the summit in just over half an hour, including the small detour to Kumeyaay Solstice Sunrise. I had planned to just go up and come back down again, but there was another cache close by (Golfcrest Overlook), so I took the trail towards Pyle's Peak to find that. I had seen a sign saying that Pyle's Peak was only 1.5 miles from the the top of Cowles, so I continued along there. There were also hardly any people on this trail - after leaving the top of Cowles I only saw 2 other people the entire rest of the hike.

Halfway along there's a mini-peak with the slightly sneaky Santee Overlook cache nestled in an impressive rock outcropping right on the edge of the mountain. Then I went on to Pyle's Peak, which got my blood flowing again, and found the venerable Pyle Driver. Nice views of the northern parts of MTRP from up here. Then I went to make the loop back down via A Penguin Adventure, planning to do the last mile on Golfcrest road in case it got dark before I got back to the car.

Total hike was just under 5.5 miles with 5 caches - about right I think, so you feel like you're actually out there seeing the sights and getting some exercise, instead of just staring at your GPSr for the next 528 feet. I didn't place any new ones because I didn't want to start another cache war like there is on the Fortunas!

Second the motion on that outing. Did the same route a week or so ago.

What amazed me was that people of all sorts were running both up and down that eroded and rocky Cowles Mountain trail. That's really asking for a bad spill. Yeah, I know that Gecko Dad does it all the time but he's so skinny that he doesn't interact with gravity.

Quite a hide at that rock outcropping huh?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Just replace it and enter the Kache Kharma Hall of Fame.......then it's legit :lol:

Yeah, I think I will just replace and post it on the boards. It is so close to our home that it's annoying to see it on our list and inactive. :rolleyes:

I have a couple problem caches near me that something should be done about. I found 1 of them and the other I will probably never find. What is the proper procedure for dealing with them? email the owner first to see if they will update?

1. Small Cash Cache (GC20B2) This one is probably gone. I didn't see the poison oak in the exact area of where it seemed the cache should have been according to the hint. I also could not find the cache but I have no way to be positive it is gone since I have never found it. (I do know Chuy has contacted the owner of this one)

2. Neptunes Deposit (GC3333) The cache is ~50' off of the coordinates posted (as noted by most people that have found it). The Foothill Restaurant that is used as a landmark for parking is long gone. The cacher has not been on the website for over a year now.

OK you puzzlers:

Scent, cent, and sent

That's all well and good...

...but how do you translate these into coordinates...? :lol::rolleyes:

N 34 20.490 W 152 01.568 Too bad it puts you out in the Pacific ocean :(

Why do people do things like this? Not cool, not cool at all. Another thing, we don't get is why cachers take TBs and then don't log taking them. We have witnessed a cacher remove a TB (PSCAT TB) that has yet to be logged as removed. Guess there is always going to be a few bad apples. :rolleyes:

I'm giving this cache the benefit of the doubt, but that HaZzMatT dude likes to pull tails, or at least mis-direct.

Some inconsistencies in his bio:

Kilimanjaro is 19,340 feet high, not 24.600;

Its Ironman, not Iron Man, and which one? You would expect a world class athlete to get the spelling right;

"2005 SCGC award for Most Scenic Cache (Sunset Cliffs)" Its SCG (Southern California Geocachers), and I don't think the 2005 awards have even been posted; I couldn't find a list on the website.

2. Neptunes Deposit (GC3333) The cache is ~50' off of the coordinates posted (as noted by most people that have found it). The Foothill Restaurant that is used as a landmark for parking is long gone. The cacher has not been on the website for over a year now.

I wouldn't worry too much about Neptune's Deposit. It's easy enough to find even if the coords are not right on. Just keep posting what you got as coords to help the next guy. Not too much traffic at that cache anyway. As I recall, it might need a new container, so that would be a helpful thing to either take care of or to post in your log for the next person to perhaps take care of....

I want to make your trips out here to the Jamul area worthwhile . . . :rolleyes:

As in over and over and over again.... :D

:lol: Awwww . . . . I thought anyone wanting to find SMOKEY's new cache might want to have a couple more to find as long as they are making the long trip . . . :D

Anyone who hasn't made a trip to Jamul yet, can now pick up eleven (11) smilies on Mt. McGinty . . . instead of the one they would have garnered before . . .

And anyone who hasn't done the "Couch Series" yet, now has a few more to find to make the trip even more worthwhile. :(

I'm giving this cache the benefit of the doubt, but that HaZzMatT dude likes to pull tails, or at least mis-direct. 

Some inconsistencies in his bio: 

Kilimanjaro is 19,340 feet high, not 24.600;

Its Ironman, not Iron Man, and which one? You would expect a world class athlete to get the spelling right;

"2005 SCGC award for Most Scenic Cache (Sunset Cliffs)"  Its SCG (Southern California Geocachers), and I don't think the 2005 awards have even been posted; I couldn't find a list on the website.

It certainly seems like Dr. HaZzMatT is one busy dude. I certainly hope that he doesn't try any of those Double Inverted Rolls on the days after he dives on the Yukon. Sounds like a good way to get bent! :lol:

I've heard of Pitts, Citabrias, CAPs, Extras, Yaks, Sukhois and Zlins, but I am unfamiliar with an aerobatically rated aircraft called an "A9". Closest references I could come up with are:

Lockheed A-9, a ground attack aircraft based on the YP-24 fighter prototype

Grumman OA-9 "Goose" amphibious aircraft

Northrop YA-9, a prototype attack aircraft developed for the USAF.

Kuat Drive Yards A-9 Vigilance, a fictional fighter from Star Wars.

None of these seem like candidates for a aerobatic "stunt plane". (For that matter, I've never heard anyone who flies aerobatics refer to their aircraft as a "stunt plane".)

Edit: I did find an ag plane ("crop-duster") called an A-9. A modified A-9 might possibly be used for aerobatics.

I didn't find any record of a patent for a "Hydrogen/Nitrogen Hot Air balloon" (whatever that means) on the USPTO web site. (But then, again, maybe it's one of those secret black balloons that none of us are supposed to know about. It would fit with his CIA training. :rolleyes: )

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
I want to make your trips out here to the Jamul area worthwhile . . . :rolleyes:

As in over and over and over again.... :D

:D Awwww . . . . I thought anyone wanting to find SMOKEY's new cache might want to have a couple more to find as long as they are making the long trip . . . :(

Anyone who hasn't made a trip to Jamul yet, can now pick up eleven (11) smilies on Mt. McGinty . . . instead of the one they would have garnered before . . .

And anyone who hasn't done the "Couch Series" yet, now has a few more to find to make the trip even more worthwhile. :D

Mrs. FlagMan must have told you I need more exercise... She's right, of course! :lol:

Hey everyone! I think tomorrow is the final day to vote for pictures submitted for Jeep 4X4 Geochallenge. Ahimsa, Trailgators, and us submitted photos. If you haven't voted yet, we would love your support. Thank you.

It looks like the winner is chosen on the 22nd. I am not sure if that means we can vote till then though.

http://jeep.geocaching.com/contest/

I was going to vote for Ahimsa initially because he asked first but after looking at everone from San Diego's amount of votes, I figured I would help the one that has the best chance of winning it (sorry Ahimsa). Just remember, if someone from San Diego wins the jeep, they have to give everyone else a ride in it. :rolleyes:

I'm waiting for when y'all have got the whole mountain covered with a 0.1 mi. grid of caches... :rolleyes:

Aww . . . come on out now. It's nice out here . . . and I don't think I'm going to place any more up there . . . :lol: Besides, from the one trailhead, it is three miles to the top. That's a big mountain! :(

I can't say the same about Sycuan Peak, however. I see it from my patio and it seems to be yearning for more caches. The views from "The Observation Post" and "Many Peaks Cache" are great. :D

The only problem I see with all my cache placements is the lack of visits. I might have to place a couple more urban micros just so I get more frequent emails. :D

Hey everyone! I think tomorrow is the final day to vote for pictures submitted for Jeep 4X4 Geochallenge. Ahimsa, Trailgators, and us submitted photos. If you haven't voted yet, we would love your support. Thank you.

It looks like the winner is chosen on the 22nd. I am not sure if that means we can vote till then though.

http://jeep.geocaching.com/contest/

I was going to vote for Ahimsa initially because he asked first but after looking at everone from San Diego's amount of votes, I figured I would help the one that has the best chance of winning it (sorry Ahimsa). Just remember, if someone from San Diego wins the jeep, they have to give everyone else a ride in it. :rolleyes:

Good idea! I switched my vote to Tex&Capie's photo because they have the best shot at winning! Plus they did a darn good job with it! Go San Diego!!! :lol:

Edited by TrailGators
Who's want to join me to complete the Proctor Valley Monster Cache? (GCG0A2)

I know Team Adelos wanted to do it at a full moon.  I'm thinking next Saturday or Sunday night at about 6 p.m. I'm not sure the moon will be full then but at least there WILL be a moon.

We have a wedding on Saturday, but maybe Sunday. :( I will have to see what is gong on. I never get out as much as I want to! We have been wanting to do that one for some time. Weather has to be good though. I dont think you want to be out there if it is raining...

Adelos

Let's meet Sunday November 19 at 6 p.m. at the trailhead. All are welcome. Bring flashlights or headlamps and whatever monster-scaring devices you have. :D

Looks like the 19th is a Saturday and 20th is a Sunday. Wanna confirm which one?

My calendar sure looks like an '05 but it could be something else. :rolleyes:

Sounds like fun!

Oops , Sunday November 20 at 6 p.m. :lol:

[quote name=TrailGators' date='Nov 14 2005, 03:41 PM

Snow isn't so bad.....especially if it snows enough so you don't have to go to work! :D That never happens here.... :([/quote]

Our school included the mountains to the west of Denver. In all the years I attended school in Golden, they closed the schools due to weather only one (1) day. One!!!! :D:rolleyes: They were always closing the schools in Denver, tho. The difference was that when the snow started, they got the sand truck/snow plows running on the mtn. roads. In Denver, even if they got the trucks running, there wasn't any place to put the snow. (We always thought the City Kids were spoiled wuses. :lol::D )

I was going to vote for Ahimsa initially because he asked first but after looking at everone from San Diego's amount of votes, I figured I would help the one that has the best chance of winning it (sorry Ahimsa). Just remember, if someone from San Diego wins the jeep, they have to give everyone else a ride in it. :(

Not a problem - we voted for the photo we thought was best and it wasn't ours! :ph34r: