Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6
Gill & Tony

Wish list

Recommended Posts

If it's something as simple as a 'color' or the number of a year that could only fall within a limited range due to context, for example, that certainly makes an armchair job a lot easier.  Would hope people are being a bit more inventive.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ecanderson said:

To those of you whose ALs were armchaired by "the very first", perhaps the questions weren't site-specific enough to avoid being guessed from the comfort of home?  Obviously there wasn't a Facebook or other site where they could have received coordinates from someone else, since there wasn't a 'someone else'.  I had no doubt at all that my own AL couldn't possibly be armchaired by the first to log it.  No possible way to 'look up' the answers to several of the stages.

The question for my first stage used to be "How many rectangular light fittings are on the wall?"  The answer was two.  One person answered stage 1 correctly, but then didn't answer stage 2. where the question was not guessable.  The question for stage 1 was immediately changed to something that you have to be at the site to answer - not really guessable.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ecanderson said:

To those of you whose ALs were armchaired by "the very first", perhaps the questions weren't site-specific enough to avoid being guessed from the comfort of home?  Obviously there wasn't a Facebook or other site where they could have received coordinates from someone else, since there wasn't a 'someone else'.  I had no doubt at all that my own AL couldn't possibly be armchaired by the first to log it.  No possible way to 'look up' the answers to several of the stages.

 

I intentionally placed a guessable ALC answer in the Adventure Lab location that required visitors to passby all the other Adventure Lab locations, entrapment of the cheater who visited only the guessable armchaired location.

  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post

Ah -  a bit of confusion here.  No problem that some portions of the AL might be 'guessable', but one or more should not be, making the completion of the AL (and obtaining necessary information for any bonus cache) impossible.  That can be made to work whether the AL must be done serially or not.

 

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, ecanderson said:

Ah -  a bit of confusion here.  No problem that some portions of the AL might be 'guessable', but one or more should not be, making the completion of the AL (and obtaining necessary information for any bonus cache) impossible.  That can be made to work whether the AL must be done serially or not.

 

They still get a Lab cache find for each stage they guess.  if the AL is done serially, they won't know the question for stage 2 until they have successfully guessed stage 1.  Making stage 1 unguessable effectively locks out the other stages of a serial AL.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Just wanted to clarify. Is there any limit to the number of guesses?

 

There doesn't seem to be. On one I did, a waypoint required the number of posts along a fence, of which there are quite a lot. I counted, the app said no. I counted again, same answer, same result. I tried one or two above and below my count, still no joy. Expanded my range a bit further, nup. In the end I started from one and went up, eventually striking gold at a number that bore no resemblance to the physical fence. It turned out the CO had misread a digit from his notes when transcribing it into the AL answers and my initial count was correct. It's now been fixed. But yes, it was happy to let me make what was probably at least thirty incorrect attempts.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, barefootjeff said:

 

There doesn't seem to be. On one I did, a waypoint required the number of posts along a fence, of which there are quite a lot. I counted, the app said no. I counted again, same answer, same result. I tried one or two above and below my count, still no joy. Expanded my range a bit further, nup. In the end I started from one and went up, eventually striking gold at a number that bore no resemblance to the physical fence. It turned out the CO had misread a digit from his notes when transcribing it into the AL answers and my initial count was correct. It's now been fixed. But yes, it was happy to let me make what was probably at least thirty incorrect attempts.

We had a similar experience. my husband went inside the building to get the answer from a plaque in the visitor center. The app said he was wrong, and all he had to answer was the nth word on the plaque. We could not get that answer right! After about 30 attempts guessing words, ignoring initials in people's names, ignoring the title, etc. We figured out that all the responses said incorrect except for one that continued to give us a circulating loop. That's when I took a guess that it really was the correct answer but since there's no Wi-Fi it couldn't take our answer. So we had the right answer almost right away but didn't understand at first why it wouldn't accept it. Lesson learned.  

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

We had a similar experience. my husband went inside the building to get the answer from a plaque in the visitor center. The app said he was wrong, and all he had to answer was the nth word on the plaque. We could not get that answer right! After about 30 attempts guessing words, ignoring initials in people's names, ignoring the title, etc. We figured out that all the responses said incorrect except for one that continued to give us a circulating loop. That's when I took a guess that it really was the correct answer but since there's no Wi-Fi it couldn't take our answer. So we had the right answer almost right away but didn't understand at first why it wouldn't accept it. Lesson learned.  

_Wrong_ answers are rejected by the app itself, without any data connection. Only if the app assumes that the answer is correct, it will upload it to the server (resulting in a spinning loop if the connection is bad or broken).

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

_Wrong_ answers are rejected by the app itself, without any data connection. Only if the app assumes that the answer is correct, it will upload it to the server (resulting in a spinning loop if the connection is bad or broken).

Sounds like what I experienced. 

Share this post


Link to post

Something else that really annoys me: on iOS if I switch to another app, e.g. cachly for a while then the AL app closes down in the background and I have to start it up again (it's quite slow), then select the AL again and resume. With just one AL in the vicinity it's ok, but in an area with many of them really infuriating. And why do I have to zoom in after starting/resuming an AL? I'd guess that most people who do one are in the general area already.

  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, terratin said:

Something else that really annoys me: on iOS if I switch to another app, e.g. cachly for a while then the AL app closes down in the background and I have to start it up again

Same issue appears on Android units (at least on mine).

 

Hans

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Bring back GPX-files! Using GSAK or other tools for generating statisics, working with ALCs is a real PITA. After e.g. a holiday and playing some 20 or 30 ALCs, you have to do a lot of post processing if you want to have ALCs in your statistics. So please bring back GPX-files. This would help a lot.

  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/25/2020 at 2:44 AM, Gill & Tony said:

If we have just one idea per post, those who agree with the idea can like the post, that way we get an indication of how popular the ideas are.

 

I have three more wishes (surely there are more but that's the three I am thinking of right now) and as Gill and Tony suggest I'll split them up in three posts.

 

1) My biggest wish for the labs is: make them playable offline. I want to be able to download them at home completely and then solve them in the field. The "points" may be updated later when I am home again using my homes stabile WIFI.

 

Sometimes the mobile data net is very weak and I don't have too much of free data available. It should be possible to put the whole adventure in one file as it works for wherigos so that you don't need internet connection in the field!?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Genie, here is my second wish for the lab caches:

 

2) I do not want to use my mobile phone for routing. That's why I have a GPS device with good maps and the possibility to easily enter new waypoints.

So if I want to search for the next "stage" of a lab cache the app should show coordinates so I can enter those in my GPS and use it to find the next destination.

 

This one should be easily realised and would make things much easier.

Edited by frostengel
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post

And here is the third one - as simple as that:

 

3) Logging is an important part of geocaching for me. I tend to write long and detailed logs to give something back to the owner - and I like to get such logs with my caches.

Good logs usually aren't written using a mobile device - it's just not meant for long texts. So please: Make it possible/easier to write the logs at a normal computer, not only in the app.

Plus: a log for a normal can be 4000 signs and you can add a second (write note) if that's too less. With adventure labs the log lenght is much more restricted so there will never be detailed logs for the lab (maybe for the bonus). Change that, change the whole logging experience: DNF logs etc. where mentioned before. The app makes us "bad loggers".... :-(

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, frostengel said:

With adventure labs the log lenght is much more restricted

Put your "Quality" logs to the bonus caches. It's that simple.

  • Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, HHL said:
19 minutes ago, frostengel said:

With adventure labs the log lenght is much more restricted

Put your "Quality" logs to the bonus caches. It's that simple.

It's not that simple. Many AL don't have bonus caches (3 of may last 4 fell into that category), but I still want to give meaningful feedback. That's much easier if a) you can type it on a proper keyboard and b) the character limit is not so low.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, baer2006 said:

It's not that simple. Many AL don't have bonus caches (3 of may last 4 fell into that category), but I still want to give meaningful feedback. That's much easier if a) you can type it on a proper keyboard and b) the character limit is not so low.

 

That's it. And - in addition to that - when logging the bonus cache I want to give feedback and tell about the bonus cache. It's a cache and it's itself worth more than just a "+1", isn't it?

 

I usually do as HHL suggests (if there is a bonus) but I then want to share my story about the lab cache and the bonus cache at the same time. Even worse: I want to share my story about five lab caches and a real cache in one log.

 

Each lab scores a point at the geocaching.com website. So each lab cache should be worth its own log. But I know that's too much to claim: but please let me log the lab (the five labs) and the bonus individually with a normal log - not a mobile phone one (my fingers are too thick for that little keyboard).

Share this post


Link to post

Once an adventure has been completed, the details, like the description of each of the five locatios, are not accessible any more.

I would like to be able to review them anytime later.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 6

×
×
  • Create New...