Who Are The Lurkers? Introduce Yourself.

I'm Zaneta. I went GeoCaching for the first time last week for my birthday. The girls and I dressed super silly and got some crazy looks, but had a blast. We found 8 caches!!! It got me exploring and discovering different parts of the island.

I'm currently in Okinawa, Japan with my husband, a US Marine, and our daughter. I hope to go back to the States and visit this summer and find some caches there as well.

i'm a 37 year old mom of two who lives in northeast ohio, but I grew up in a house on 15 acres of woods in Maine. . my daughter is almost 4 and my son is 4 1/2 months. even though I am new to this, I would go geocaching a lot more if it weren't for the limitations having a baby! a stroller in the woods doesn't quite cut it, lol, and I don't have a baby backpack. my daughter likes it, but has been largely disappointed with the trashy swag in the caches we've found so far. it's a catch-22, bc I know that there is a better chance of cooler stuff for her in a more difficult location... but...

i usually lurk the forums when I am up at night with my son. my husband thinks I am nuts !! we couldnt be more opposite in terms if our opinion of anything outdoorsy. I love just being outside and am fascinated to learn about edible wild plants. I love camping, the less amenities, the better. i think dick proenneke is cool. he likes a nice treated lawn and hates bugs. ( which we don't have so far, thankfully!) but I'm sure I can convince him to come with us some day when he's not at work!

glad to find the forums- will probably post more as time goes on.

SLATFATC

( so long , and thanks for all the caches )

I've posted a couple of times but will probably be mostly lurking!

I'm a 20 year old female in the UK, just started cashing. I shamelessly am enjoying the cache and dash type ones (although, more the very well hidden ones, not the ones you can see where it is in 2 minutes tops!). May do longer ones if I can though. Not done any swaps yet, may do the odd one though.

Anyway, hello all!

I've been Geocaching with my family for years, but recently made my own account since I'm in college now and doing a lot of caching on my own. I currently live in Florida and I'm an avid outdoorswoman -- and a real fur trapper, hence my username--I find Geocaching to be a wonderful hobby in the off season when I can't hunt or trap, just 'cause it keeps me in the great outdoors!

It seems like "lurking" might be the best approach at times. If someone new asks a question that has been addressed before, they inevitably will get some kind of rude comment on the thread regarding that. I understand that while it may get cumbersome/tired addressing the same issues, there is no need for flippant comments. I am sorry, but I am a newbie, and I just might have a question that did not get answered in 'Geocaching 101.' So I look on the forums to see if I can find my answer before posting something. I will scroll through a few pages, but I do not feel like scrolling through 10 year's worth of threads, especially considering I may not quite know exactly what I am looking for. Perhaps those who are veterans to this site who are irritated at seeing the same questions posted can either A). Bite their tongue and not say anything, or B) help to add more to the getting started section, so they can just post a link to an already addressed question. Being unfriendly/unhelpful is just going to turn new people away, and that will only lead to stagnancy in the forums. Just my two cents.cool.gif

Edited by twilitefirefly

Hello from me too :)

I stumbled upon a geocache many months ago, had a good nosey through it, then replaced it, hiding it a little better than it had been. Some time later, after getting a new phone (Desire S), I thought I'd give it a go, and I love it. Several times now I've been feeling a bit down in the dumps, and a dose of geocaching has lifted my spirits no end :anibad: (not sure what that smiley means, but it looked cute). It's mostly a dog-walking activity for me, so just me and 'chops', but other half and our boys enjoy it too (though I've learned that I shouldn't try to push them to more than 2-4 searches, depending on speed/success ^..^ )

I have only used the forum to look up answers and have the odd little browse so far, but seeing this thread presented a good opportunity to say hello :D

Not sure how my username will appear, since I changed it.. New one appears on geocaching.com, but old one still here.. :unsure:

I am Trycacheus and I am a Lurker. I have been geocaching since 2008 and have enjoyed reading and learning from the forums. I haven't gotten out and cached as much as I would like, but, do enjoy making caches in the shop. I'm not sure I will post much, but, I do like reading and seeing others side of caching. Thanks to all that post that I have learned from.

Yup, Lurker here! I'm new to Geocaching. Started last year and I'm totally hooked. I'm also very much into photography and while geocaching I find some really cool places to shoot. I photograph wildlife mostly. I've flushed two Wild Turkeys out of their roosts this spring. Awesome ! Actually they scared the crap out of me.

I am a six year cacher with 2300 finds and 20 posts. I seldom lurk. Usually I come to the forums for help and I always get help. Never has a question not been nicely answered no matter how basic it was. Personal debates and attacks do not interest me at all. I do search out cache and caching history from time to time. Mark

I've been caching for about 2.5 years. I'm 49 and live in Northern California. Occasionally my wife and kids will go caching with me, but usually it is a solo occurrence. I have been a lurker for about 2 years, not because I wanted to, but for some reason my account would not let post to the forums. I sent many emails to Groundspeak, and got lots of replies but never an answer. About 3 weeks ago I lost my GPS unit, so I came to the forums, to search for information on new units, before purchasing a new one. This time my account worked. So I'm no longer a lurker, but probably won't be an active member.

Hi

I'm Matt, from Australia and new to the geo scene. I have just purchased a new gps for my bike and thought a bit of caching would be fun! I have known about it for years but never got around to trying it. Have been reading a lot about it and am rather excited about finding my first!

I look forward to getting involved!

Matt

I've been lurking for a month or so. It's been interesting and informative to read about what veteran cachers have to say. I got a kick out of the creative container thread, there are some really creative folks here.

It's kinda funny how things fall into place sometimes. I found out about caching through Instagram. A guy I follow posts pictures of his finds and they sparked my curiosity. Now I'm hooked, and really enjoying the game.

I've always enjoyed walking trails and taking in the sights of nature so caching is right up my alley. My wife isn't so keen on it but once our daughter gets a little older and can handle walking in the woods I have a feeling we'll turn this into a family activity.

Since this is an open discussion I'd like to ask about seeking help for a puzzle cache. Only about a handful of people have actually found it and all their logs state how easy it was to figure out. I'm a smart guy but I'm totally stumped.

Would it be frowned upon to post a pic of the puzzle (with no mention of the specific cache) for opinions?

Hi I am emtrichie my name is Rich I am from McKeesport Pa new to the forums and to cacheing but my wife kids and I really enjoy it thus far some caches are hard to find we found about 7 out of about 15 so far but I am not gonna quit lol nice to meet u all and happy cacheing

I'm new to GeoCaching, although I was a Land Navigation and Forward Obs instructor for the Army for years. So the land nav part isn't tough for me. But dragging our two young kids around is quite the challenge! We just started last weekend, and are definitely hooked. We're in the west valley area of Phoenix, Arizona, so we're starting small with the caches around us. Looking forward to expanding out of our local circle and seeing the great caches that everyone has come up with. Thanks for the great hides!

Hi

I am from the Scottish Borders, I discovered geocahing through an online friend who had just taken it up himself. Me being the curious type and needing to get out and away fro the computer a little more, decided to visit the site my friend had pointed me too. Again out of curiosity I searched near my postcode and that of my mums and found that there was a cache extremely near. So on the spur of the moment I downloaded the free intro app to my IPhone got the coordinates and set off, 5 minutes later I was pulling an ammo box out of a hole in the ground. Inside was a travel bug (I now know) but I didn't take it I just signed the log then came online when I got back to log it. I reckon I will kep doing this, although I will need something better than the IPhone which kept loosing signal, just something basic and within budget I have decided to go for an Etrex 10.

I have been lurking the forum for a couple of days and just decided to come intro myself.

Cheers folks.

Jim

Hello,

I'm in the American Southwest and only just recently was introduced to geocaching by my husband, railguncannon. (though, I'm not entirely sure where he found out about it) We've barely just started, but we're already addicted.

Anyway, I'll be lurking for a while until I get a good feel for the culture and etiquette of the forums, then I'll probably begin posting :)

Looking forward to meeting some awesome people!

~Otter

Well i find that there are only a few stupid questions but many more stupid answers. To many people forget we all started at some stage and need some friendly advice as we develop our caching skills. I have now over 1800 finds and am still learning and hope others can help me when i need it as i try to help others as they need it. My biggest hint for cachers is never assume!!! It soon turns around to bite you. The more cachers you help the more cahcers we have on board and then more caches placed for all :-)

Hi, I'm a lurker who is reintroducing myself. I am the only remaining member of the team Two & the Zoo and haven't been out geocaching in a very long time. I really miss it. My team was my husband, our dog and me. In May 2008, my husband died from a sudden cardiac arrest, and our dog died a week after him. My husband was so looking forward to reaching our 100th find and setting our Travel Bug free. We only got to 89. I'd like to pick up and reach his goal, but I just haven't had the heart to go back out on my own alone.

Lorie

Where are you located Lorie? My grandson and I are wanting to start geocaching - he is 12 - and would be nice to have a personal instructor/helper to get us going. I hope you can find a friend to go with you - please don't give up. God Bless, Lana

I already made my first few post but will say hello anyways!

I live in Alberta, Canada. Work at home, married father of 2. An almost 3 son and almost 1 year old daughter. Just found out about this 3 days ago while on a hockey forum. Can't believe I never knew about it before and wish I had known when I was a flight attendant. THAT would have been sweet!

Brought my son out today to hunt for "treasures" and he loves it, so I am excited to continue doing it with him as often as I can! Still trying to learn as much of the lingo and rules as quickly as I can.

Cheers

TCG

Hi from Mobile, Alabama in the US. I've known about geocaching for a few years but I just got involved with it 8 days ago when I found out a new friend enjoyed the sport. So far I've found 49 caches. I've been to cool places in and around my town that I never knew existed. I've been questioned by security guards after finding a cache at night on a college campus and been chased out of the woods by ferocious biting flies. I've utilized my extensive ninja training to get to urban caches undetected and walked several miles of wooded bike paths to complete an 8-part multi-cache.

I spend a lot of time in front of the computer and needed an excuse to get outdoors more often. I love the challenge of the hunt, enjoy the history and geography lessons some caches provide, and appreciate the beautiful scenery many caches lead me to. I'm currently using my iPhone 4S but hope to upgrade to a real GPS device at some point. I've already started buying cache containers and am planning my first hides.

I may continue to lurk but I'll probably pop in and post every now and then.

I have been looking over the forums for a couple of days now, finding the answers to many of my questions without having to post. I was introduced to geocaching by a friend jcchamilton2010 about a year or two ago. He was blessed with the birth of his first child and I am the caregiver for my elderly mother so it has been difficult to go cache hunting as much as we'd like. Recently we were able to get out for a hunt and found three which rekindled my interest. I had been using my iPhone to hunt but I just bought an Explorist CG (arrived via UPS yesterday). I also started my complementary 30-day premium membership. I didn't really know where to introduce myself so I guess this thread was as good as any.

I am located in Oklahoma City. So far all of the caches I have visited (15) have been in Ok City and the suburb of Moore. These have mostly been park and grabs or short walks in city parks. I hope to eventually manage to do some more substantial excursions. I've got family in the far southwest of the state and a friend or two in the Tulsa area. I have started to gather gear for my geocaching "pack", of course I still need to decide what sort of pack (style & size) to buy. I envision only making day trips for the time being.

I just restarted my diet too. A few hikes to caches ought to good for that too..

Edited by Edsel62

I am brand new to geocaching - just started it because I am hoping to do some caches for my local community league as a programme to get people outdoors, exploring the neighbourhood and get active.

Took my two kids (almost 1 and 4) with me in the wagon yesterday to find a nano-cache and keeping in mind the 'hide from muggles' theme I had read here was trying to be stealthy while crawling on hands and knees to find it. Felt like a plonker but heh - we are really enjoying it so far.

Geocaching plays into so many sort of cool/anorakish urges I have (love of technology/my iPhone, outdoor activities in all weather, treasure maps, having a secret world that I can participate in with other decoder ring-wearers, membership in a secret society, pretending to be a secret agent while scrambling to find peanut butter jars filled with toys...). I will likely post until I get flamed badly and it puts me off...then I will retreat to my corner and not look at the BBs again. I think the log part will be my favourite thing. Can see this getting a bit addicting!

I already made my first few post but will say hello anyways!

I live in Alberta, Canada. Work at home, married father of 2. An almost 3 son and almost 1 year old daughter. Just found out about this 3 days ago while on a hockey forum. Can't believe I never knew about it before and wish I had known when I was a flight attendant. THAT would have been sweet!

Brought my son out today to hunt for "treasures" and he loves it, so I am excited to continue doing it with him as often as I can! Still trying to learn as much of the lingo and rules as quickly as I can.

Cheers

TCG

Also in Alberta and think it is really a great sort of family thing. Have you found any nano ones yet? I can recommend an easy one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=8afe1d6d-3e25-4dae-88a5-fc626642ab6d

Really fun and sort of amazing when you find it - super nano!

Hi, I'm a lurker who is reintroducing myself. I am the only remaining member of the team Two & the Zoo and haven't been out geocaching in a very long time. I really miss it. My team was my husband, our dog and me. In May 2008, my husband died from a sudden cardiac arrest, and our dog died a week after him. My husband was so looking forward to reaching our 100th find and setting our Travel Bug free. We only got to 89. I'd like to pick up and reach his goal, but I just haven't had the heart to go back out on my own alone.

Lorie

Where are you located Lorie? My grandson and I are wanting to start geocaching - he is 12 - and would be nice to have a personal instructor/helper to get us going. I hope you can find a friend to go with you - please don't give up. God Bless, Lana

This is a lovely reply. I hope you do find someone to get out with - it is such a nice thing to share - would be a shame to not pass it on.

I just started reading the forums, and I have to admit I'm mostly posting to the amusing ones. I try to avoid the really heated discussions - I get enough negative energy at my job. I know there are people who feel very strongly about some geocaching subjects, and that's cool for them, and I'm not judging anyone. I just don't want to participate in those. I've had a couple of hobbies that were ruined for me when things got too heavy and political; I just want to do 'geocaching lite' and leave the heavy discussions to those who enjoy them. One thing I like about this - there is something for everyone's taste.

Lorie

This is a lovely reply. I hope you do find someone to get out with - it is such a nice thing to share - would be a shame to not pass it on.

I am blessed to still have my husband, but when I first started geocaching, he wasn't interested. I got up the nerve to go to my first geo event alone. I walked into the restaurant alone, wearing my GPSr around my neck to let others know why I was there, and the other cachers spotted me. I was really afraid of going by myself, but found that geocachers are really friendly. Everyone has stories to tell - I only had 11 finds when I went to my first event, so everyone wanted to tell me the best caches in the area. Since then, I've started attending other events further from my house, and my husband has started going to some with me. I'm not comparing my situation with yours - I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to get out there on my own - but I did walk into that first event alone, and I've never been to a geocaching event where I didn't feel welcome, and I've made some great friends through the events. You might meet others who are looking for company when caching. My thoughts and prayers are with you. And wear your GPS like a necklace - it'll get you noticed! Deb

I've posted a few times so I don't know if I'm technically a lurker. I cache with my husband and our 15 month old daughter. We live in Australia at the moment, though just moved back after 2 years in New Zealand. Of our little geocaching family, I'm definitely the addict, we only have 16 smilies so far but I'm hooked! Unfortunately there aren't many caches in our area so pretty soon we'll run dry! Guess we'll just have to move on again when that happens! :)

Hi

Just popping my head up to say hello. I'm new to geocaching but have spent many happy hours GPSing my way around the coast taking pictures, so decided to explore the cache treasures during a wet few days in Blackpool. Loved finding my way around with maps and the whole idea of finding treasure so you now have a new convert. Always hesitant to post on online forums due to a)looking an idiot when getting the 'rules wrong', b)hostile responses, c)generaly not having a clue what I'm talking about :)

Did a quick search for posts related to LGBT cacher groups and some of the responses to the original posters question left me feeling that what appeared to me a simple question brought back some hostile replies due to personal opinions. There were also some replies that defended the original question. Kinda makes me feel cautious about sometimes asking a genuine question without having to defend my reason for asking. Hoping that the world has moved on since those posts and that this is an inclusive and welcoming place.

Long live caching and I hope to pop my head up again...now off to find out how to get my own super delux geocoins produced...

Hi everyone. Just a quick note to introduce myself to the community. I'm a Peruvian living and working in north Holland. It tends to be windy and rainy over here so geocaching is usually a challenging (but fun!) hobby. A friend of mine told me about it a few years ago but it took a while for me to really get started. Have so far about 50 finds and 2 travel bugs. I especially like the TBs because I travel quite a bit and can take them with me. A few friends have visited me in the past weeks and I take them geocaching with me and they get hooked right away, which is nice.

In the next couple of weeks I'm off to Almeria (southern Spain), Manchester, Lima, California and NYC, so plenty of geocaching opportunities! The only thing is that I still have a crappy GPS and preparing the trips always costs me quite a bit of time (haven't learned to download multiple caches yet).

Hope to see you guys around.

Hi folks, forget who mentioned it to me, but a friend said something about this a few weeks back and it sounded like a cool idea so I've gotten hooked on it. Always loved getting outside and this is a great reason to either get out, or something fun to do if you already are out. I'm 25, from Allentown, PA, and have found it quite humorous that the company I work for owns several cemeteries which I've been to a billion times and still never seen the caches hidden in them. On my last trek out I found my first wooden nickel and am still hoping to find a trackable soon as the concept of seeing the things go around the country is really cool.

My two biggest loves are music (progressive rock & metal mostly) and hockey. I play outdoor roller hockey and have been a Flyers fan all my life. I also pretty much love playing most other sports, but aside from hockey mainly play volleyball and the occasional game of Tennis. Only other sport I really watch is football, and I'm a Niners fan.

hi all

we are team B&W and i (who is typing :D ) is the B in the name my buddy is mr W and is watching mrs B. We are from Holland (the north part) and hooked up to the game. Our daughter to is to blame for it :) thx girly.

Our daughter was geocaching and told us about it. so we went on a holiday to creta and decided to try it out. it seems to be a nice way to learn a strange country and it did. we met a lot of nice people and even met a other dutch couple geocaching.

No we are homne again and still playing along. together and i also with my friend as we have our weekly walk about.

so thanks for this nice game :D

mrs B

Edited by Team B&W

hi,

im a reletive newbie to caching so have been using the forumb for research. i'm based on the isle of wight, so have plenty of local caches, but lacking on groups ect in the area. i am keen to get in contact with anyone else from the island, posibly to meet up and go caching together

Hi All,

I'm relatively a newbie as well and had been lurking in the forums reading stuff as much as I can. I do most of my caching around Northern San Diego area.

I geocache mostly with my 6 year old son who is as hooked as I am. The wife approves of it just to get me and my son off the TV, video games and computer at home. I do solo for really steep hills since I think it would be tough for my 6 year old - hopefully sooner he can go with me on high mountains around here.

I do have a few hides. I wanted to put out small to big containers for the likes of my Son. It's not really fun for them to see nano/micro/log only caches in which I'm the only one to sign. He's really excited to see big containers and hopefully get a good variety of swag on it.

To-date,

I have around 147 founds and a few DNFs. These are mostly in San Diego but a few in Las Vegas, NV on a recent trip there. I just did a 30 found caches in one day last week - whew that was fun!

I have 5 active caches (as the Cache Owner). A new one pending review today. Feedback from seasoned/veterans geocachers were favorable so far on my hides. My favorite own hide so far is the GC3NP22 - 'BOC BP's Urban Forest' in Balboa Park near San Diego Zoo since this is my biggest one.

ciao

Edited by BulilitRox

Hello

I'm Tom / SDiver41

I’m totally new to the geocaching thing. Last weekend was my first time out with 2 out of 3 finds. Already been out shopping & looking for a new GPS. Guess that means I’m some what hooked.

I’m from Concord NC and figured I would stop in to say hello to everyone.

I'm Crask422, well I was until my wife decided to join in now we are Crask422. My brother turned me on to geocaching one day when I was visiting his family up north. He had some great stories and drove me by lots of his local caches to show me how they very. That was about 5 years ago. I ran my total up to 56 over the next couple of months then I would go in spurts to pick some up every other month. I would use the hobby as a way of spending time with myself this past thanksgiving I saw him and mentioned I had got to 200 and I was on his heels, I had taken over a year off. I know that because my statistics page loves telling me that. Well that weekend I got the bug again and I just got, we just got our 900th last Friday and set our first three over the weekend. I have become obsessed with making the perfect cache, I have seen enough light poles and vine covered walls to last a lifetime.

I have been lurking on here the last 6 months looking for strategies and ideas, but it usually ends up in a flame war so I just stay out of it. Back to lurking, carry on.

I'm Smapte, and I've been geocaching for about a month and a half. I heard about it from an old high school friend who shared photos and stories after every outing. I'm in Atlanta, and although this seems to be a pretty active area I haven't yet run into another geocacher. I frequently go out on my own with my dog, but on weekends I take my husband and 3-year-old twins. I'm thinking about joining a local cacher organization but I've been too shy to attend a meeting.