Banning Micro / Nano Caching

sebapostol

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel geocaching is being destroyed by the amount of Micro/Nano caches being allowed to be placed in rural areas, I can see the point of them in town/city centres but am really fed up of fantastic locations being totally wasted with tiny pointless little Micro/Nanos that you can't trade with or even get your family excited by. Again there not so bad if there clever hides like snail shells or pebbles but just sticking a film case behind a tree or in a gate is really starting to wind me up...its not what caching is about!

Is it just me that feels this way or is it time we ask this site to take some control over the amount/quality of caches being placed in rural areas?

You're a Premium Member, feel free to cache from pocket queries, and when using them, select cache sizes: small regular large. This should mostly take of this problem for you - although I'll concede that half of the "smalls" I find are micros.

I personally cache from PQs that start at terrain 2. I miss stuff in the T1 and T1.5 range, some of it probably nice, but this simple technique keeps me happy caching.

I have no particular feelings about cache sizes. I'd like people to hide what they like, and then maintain it, whatever the size.

Your thread title speaks to size "banning micro / nano" and then your post closes with "amount/quality".

These are 3 separate issues.

Quality to me = "the quality of meeting Groundspeak's listing guidelines" & maintained by the owner after placement. I don't see much difference in maintained/unmaintained across caches sizes, though certainly there are initial container quality issues.

amount is a non issue if "quality of meeting Groundspeak's listing guidelines" is met

A thought re quantity...

I live on a bike trail, all powertrailed with caches. I've found about half of the group of 35 closest to me, one or two at a time over 3 years. Just because there are 35 in a row, doesn't mean I have to find 35. I can find one and stop. I enjoy them this way, I'd go nuts at 4 + in row, very similar. Obviously most cachers don't agree, they're attracted precisely because there are 35 in row over a 4 mile stretch (and more beyond that for the next 40 miles).

They can have fun their way, and I'll do it my way. Cache owner happy, everybody happy

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Hide more full size caches and show everyone in your area why they are better.

Or if the location is already taken by one of those awful micros, create an offset multi using an existing object there for a virtual first stage and find somewhere 600' away for your tupperware.

Edited by wimseyguy
that may have actually been interesting and fun

"interesting and fun" for you - because you prefer trading caches. But clearly, this isn't the cache owner's preference, or that's what they would have placed.

see kernow's post for the other point of view - he'd rather hunt a micro, more of a challenge.

I do agree with a premiss that folks who place large numbers of micros are apt to be a bit overwhelmed with maintenance needs, and not do it so well. And they place micros because of low cost, and ease of getting them out.

If they were constrained to place ammo cans, or quality storage containers, cost alone would slow them down some ;-)

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel geocaching is being destroyed by the amount of Micro/Nano caches being allowed to be placed in rural areas, I can see the point of them in town/city centres but am really fed up of fantastic locations being totally wasted with tiny pointless little Micro/Nanos that you can't trade with or even get your family excited by. Again there not so bad if there clever hides like snail shells or pebbles but just sticking a film case behind a tree or in a gate is really starting to wind me up...its not what caching is about!

Is it just me that feels this way or is it time we ask this site to take some control over the amount/quality of caches being placed in rural areas?

You can't trade in micro shells and pebbles either. So I'm left with you want to ban hides that you don't like.

Another one of those topics...

Someone hates micro's & nano's, let's ban them!

Someone hates ammo can's, let's ban them!

Someone hates multi caches, let's ban them!

Someone hates puzzle's, let's ban them!

Someone doesn't like Geocaching. Well, let's ban it...

Someone hates socks in forums - Let's ban 'em.

Then do something about it and go out and hide some nice anno cans to be stolen. Maybe you could PM the owners of the rural micro hides and offer to upgrade their containers to larger ones? I'm sure they are micros for a reason. Go out and hide some more caches and maintain them, gain the experience of being a cache owner with 100 hides or more and add a few hundred to your find count. :P

And ban power trails too, I hates them. :laughing:

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel ice cream is being destroyed by the amount of soft-serve being allowed to be serve in rural ice cream shops, I can see the point of them in town/city centres but am really fed up of fantastic locations being totally wasted with tiny tasteless little soft-served cones that you can't even eat with a spoon or even get your family excited by. Again there not so bad if there clever flavors like snail shells or pebbles but just serving soft-served vanilla in a wafer cone or plastic cup is really starting to wind me up...its not what ice cream is about!

Is it just me that feels this way or is it time we ask this site to take some control over the kind of ice cream being served in rural areas?

:mmraspberry:

Is it time we ask this site to take some control over the amount/quality of caches being placed in rural areas?

Isn't there a Constitutional right involved here? The right to place nanos.

What's next - book burnings??

Someone called you a "sock puppet," Sebo. Any comment? (Don't worry - ad hominem name-calling by that poster does not win arguments.

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel ice cream is being destroyed by the amount of soft-serve being allowed to be serve in rural ice cream shops, I can see the point of them in town/city centres but am really fed up of fantastic locations being totally wasted with tiny tasteless little soft-served cones that you can't even eat with a spoon or even get your family excited by. Again there not so bad if there clever flavors like snail shells or pebbles but just serving soft-served vanilla in a wafer cone or plastic cup is really starting to wind me up...its not what ice cream is about!

Is it just me that feels this way or is it time we ask this site to take some control over the kind of ice cream being served in rural areas?

How right you are!

And don't even get me started on over-filled ice cream cones where it melts & drips & makes your hands all sticky & a napkin doesn't take away the annoying stickiness and ya yell at the kids & the whole day is ruined. Nah, don't even get me started!

I've started to use pq but my point still is that when someone has just plonked a Micro/Nano in an awesome location that could have easily been a decent sized cache, it prevents anyone else from putting a cache in that location that may have actually been interesting and fun.

I don't believe you. I'm sure there are many interesting and fun places with no caches in any given rural area.

But I have to admit, I don't really get the size complaint. I think large caches are fun, but I don't find anything negative about micros and nano. I long ago lost interest in swag, so it really doesn't matter to me what size container the CO decides he'd like to offer me.

I would guess the size issue is really based on family with kids versus singles or couples with no kids. Keeping the kids interested in the caching game requires something to keep their interest. Just getting to sign a slip of paper isn't seen as fun by a kid. The trading of treasures keeps the kids interested and along for the adventure. I would guess that those that are for a ban on micro/nano are probably familys that cache while those that are for micro/nano caches are cachers with no kids.

Edited by snow_rules

I'm with you all Ice Cream stores other than Cold Stone should immediately be shut down so as not to despoil the purity.

What's the difference in finding a bison tube on a fence, or finding an ammo can at the bottom of the fence?

I'm curious how you think a cache is better just because it's bigger. A well hidden cache is well hidden. A creative cache is creative. A boring cache in a boring place is still boring regardless of it's size.

So tell me why bigger is better, when talking about caches. And no- because you have room for a bigger cache is not an answer. If that's the case, an ammo can is too small, why not use fridge? Or a car? Or a semi trailer? Or a house?

Said no cacher, ever. :lol::PB)

Except someone's sock puppet account. Good catch Cerberus1. :ph34r:

Yeah, everyone is jumping on the OP here, but I basically see the ol' "hide the largest cache the area can support" argument here. And I agree with that, for the most part. You know, the oft-hated "micro in the woods" for example. :huh:

I'm with you all Ice Cream stores other than Cold Stone should immediately be shut down so as not to despoil the purity.

Ahh...see, I'd rather it be tropical dreams. That's a purist ice cream for a purist cacher. All other should be banned!!

And no cups!! Toasted waffle cones only!

I would guess the size issue is really based on family with kids versus singles or couples with no kids. Keeping the kids interested in the caching game requires something to keep their interest. Just getting to sign a slip of paper isn't seen as fun by a kid. The trading of treasures keeps the kids interested and along for the adventure. I would guess that those that are for a ban on micro/nano are probably familys that cache while those that are for micro/nano caches are cachers with no kids.

I can imagine that for younger children, going through the swag and picking out something to trade for may be the highlight of the cache hunt. As children get older they tend to realize that the swag in caches isn't particularly valuable and that the real prize is in finding the cache.

I've heard that some parents of small kids will treat them to ice cream on days when all they find are micros or caches with nothing to trade. What I don't understand is that often the treat is soft-serve :blink:

"interesting and fun" for you - because you prefer trading caches. But clearly, this isn't the cache owner's preference

And usually it's the owner's preference to hide a micro, not because they like micros but because they don't want to spend the $3 to put out a small quality cache like a 3.5" authentic Lock & Lock, with enough room for a couple of small travelbugs. Or they don't want to hide something larger that will please a larger audience, because hiding something larger takes more effort. The game started as containers with swag. Alas, like many things the lowest common denominator wins out. If it's cheaper, easier, faster with minimal effort, and nothing reigns that practice in, then that style of play becomes the dominating style.

The only thing I can think of to send a message, is to say something in the logs. Example, 'I was surprised to find this pill bottle, when there are so many of spots in this wooded area for a larger cache.'

If you're in "an awesome location", what difference does the size of the geocache make? Enjoy the location.

The game is called geocaching, not sight-seeing, not hiking. We are hear to enjoy a good overall geocaching experience, that enhances the location, not detracts from it.

If you're in "an awesome location", what difference does the size of the geocache make? Enjoy the location.

The game is called geocaching, not sight-seeing, not hiking. We are hear to enjoy a good overall geocaching experience, that enhances the location, not detracts from it.

I enjoy reading the old forum sometimes. I believe this discussion took place many times within the first month. Funny, the only rule was leave something, take something. Not even a mention of signing a log.

Cold Stone? Purity? You have to be kidding! They fold all kinds of impurities into their ice cream. We should ban ice cream with that stuff folded into it, especially Gummy Bears! Who folds Gummy Bears into ice cream?!

And I don't know about anyone else, but I feel ice cream is being destroyed by the amount of tiny cones being allowed to be used in some restaurants and ice cream shops. I can see the point of full-sized cones but am really fed up of fantastic ice cream being totally wasted with tiny pointless little cones that hold only a thimbleful of ice cream, that you can't even get your family excited by. Again they're not so bad if they're clever flavors like cardamom–pistachio or lemon–ginger but just sticking vanilla soft-serve in a tiny thimble-sized cone is really starting to wind me up... It's not what ice cream is about!

Cold Stone? Purity? You have to be kidding! They fold all kinds of impurities into their ice cream. We should ban ice cream with that stuff folded into it, especially Gummy Bears! Who folds Gummy Bears into ice cream?!

And I don't know about anyone else, but I feel ice cream is being destroyed by the amount of tiny cones being allowed to be used in some restaurants and ice cream shops. I can see the point of full-sized cones but am really fed up of fantastic ice cream being totally wasted with tiny pointless little cones that hold only a thimbleful of ice cream, that you can't even get your family excited by. Again they're not so bad if they're clever flavors like cardamom–pistachio or lemon–ginger but just sticking vanilla soft-serve in a tiny thimble-sized cone is really starting to wind me up... It's not what ice cream is about!

I find those tiny cones hard to hold...there just so tiny.

I've started to use pq but my point still is that when someone has just plonked a Micro/Nano in an awesome location that could have easily been a decent sized cache, it prevents anyone else from putting a cache in that location that may have actually been interesting and fun.

I don't believe you. I'm sure there are many interesting and fun places with no caches in any given rural area.

But I have to admit, I don't really get the size complaint. I think large caches are fun, but I don't find anything negative about micros and nano. I long ago lost interest in swag, so it really doesn't matter to me what size container the CO decides he'd like to offer me.

What I don't like about micros.....

• poor quality containers
  • soggy logs
  • tattered logs - because they are crammed in
  • very often full logs that end up getting replaced by a cacher, (not the owner) who keeps the cache limping along
  • very often, if not completely abandoned, the CO just archives it when the full log reports come in, rather then maintain the cache
  • really frustrating get nano scrolls in and out of nanos even with a cotter pin or tweezer
  • often absentee owners
  • the cache of choice for carpet bombers who believe in the almight smiley as the essence of geocaching
  • often placed in crappy locations right next to nice areas - example lamp post in a parking lot next to a trail running through a wooded area
  • can't leave a signature item or travel bug
  • can't find a cool signature item or travel bug in the cache

Edited by L0ne.R
And then some people have the nerve to suggest that you carry pliers in your ice cream kit just so you can hold the tiny things more easily...
And then some people have the nerve to suggest that you carry pliers in your ice cream kit just so you can hold the tiny things more easily...

Quit complaining about your tiny icecream that you need a tweezer to hold. You enjoyed hanging out at the mall didn't you? You need to focus on what really matters. Ice cream is not about the ice cream it's about the mall. bad_boy_animated.gif

Ahhh...but if you get one if these every 528 ft, then you burn off the calories and can have all you want!!

An ice cream power trail!!!

pic2.jpg

You enjoyed hanging out at the mall didn't you? You need to focus on what really matters. Ice cream is not about the ice cream it's about the mall. bad_boy_animated.gif
I remember when ice cream shops were in great locations, in beautiful buildings with real character. Not in some insipid mall, crammed as close as possible between other shops in the same insipid mall, with no real reason for existence other than the desire to cram hundreds of shops together, so people can walk past as many shops as possible in as little time as possible.

My cache started out as a regular Lock'n'Lock at a rest stop with a beautiful view. It got buried by the roads crew, so was replaced by a micro. A fence went up, making this inaccessible too, so I planted a micro a few feet away. No complaints, great view, safe parking (and grabbing the cache,) and a chance to stretch the legs and get a photo op with a nearby totem. A cache is a cache to me, but I do see the OP's point about hiding larger caches that can hold items for kids to trade. Trouble is, the amount of "stock" in those dwindles after a short time (no trades?), and gets expensive to keep on replacing, even with dollar store items.

Some micros can be quite ingenious, though I do agree that getting logs out, and back into, a nano is a pain. Dental tweezers solve the "out" part for me. Replacing the log in the lid helps the next cacher!

Said no cacher, ever. :lol::PB)

Hey CR......you said this was a third Thursday of the month topic......well now we can move right on to tacks-in-trees.

Tacks-in-trees should be banned!

Except my tacks-in-trees...

'Cuz mine are kewl...

Mine will never be banned cause they are called night caches and GS has an attribute for them. :anibad:

What I don't like about micros.....

• poor quality containers
  • soggy logs
  • tattered logs - because they are crammed in
  • very often full logs that end up getting replaced by a cacher, (not the owner) who keeps the cache limping along
  • very often, if not completely abandoned, the CO just archives it when the full log reports come in, rather then maintain the cache
  • really frustrating get nano scrolls in and out of nanos even with a cotter pin or tweezer
  • often absentee owners
  • the cache of choice for carpet bombers who believe in the almight smiley as the essence of geocaching
  • often placed in crappy locations right next to nice areas - example lamp post in a parking lot next to a trail running through a wooded area
  • can't leave a signature item or travel bug
  • can't find a cool signature item or travel bug in the cache

What I don't like about larger caches....

• [*]poor quality containers[*]soggy logs[*]tattered logs - because they are crammed in amidst junky swag i don't trade[*]very often full logs that end up getting replaced by a cacher, (not the owner) who keeps the cache limping along[*]very often, if not completely abandoned, the CO just archives it when the full log reports come in, rather then maintain the cache[*]really frustrating trying to get a TB that's supposed to be in the cache but isn't[*]often absentee owners[*]the cache of choice for carpet bombers who believe in the almight smiley as the essence of geocaching and place caches randomly every 528 feet in the woods[*]often placed in crappy locations right next to nice areas - example tree stump in woods near mall where woods has become a dump with trash everywhere, unlike the mall & parking lot which are cleaned daily[*]can't leave a signature item or travel bug because these large caches are muggled so often[*]can't find a travel bug in the cache because puppy-killing n00b with Intro App who's destroying the game took the TB & failed to log it

Edited by wmpastor

Did a trail of 10 caches yesterday. Of the smaller ones, one was a shotgun cartridge (with paper in zipseal bag, quite dry) and another was a film pot inside a drilled log. Both very neat. The larger ones all contained wet swag that OS Junior (nearly 5) was not remotely interested in. I think he got some crayons from one of the small tupperware boxes.

I'm definitely in the "size isn't everything" camp, but can understand most of the points of view on this thread.

I do wish that "size = not chosen" was done away with - if the CO doesn't want us to know, use "Other". But I'll not lose any sleep over it.

I'd like to see a ban on Chinese takeout food containers, Gladware, and bags.

The UK reviewers won't publish a cache in a Chinese Food Takeaway container.

I think plastic bags around caches are technically against guidance here as well. Doesn't stop me finding shed loads of them though.

Whilst the UK reviewers do a good job, it does need the cache setter to say "Cache is last nights take-away container, wrapped in a plastic bag" for the reviewers to be able to take action before publishing...

Not keen on micro/nano caches but a well maintained one, in the right place.

+1

"interesting and fun" for you - because you prefer trading caches. But clearly, this isn't the cache owner's preference

And usually it's the owner's preference to hide a micro, not because they like micros but because they don't want to spend the $3 to put out a small quality cache like a 3.5" authentic Lock & Lock, with enough room for a couple of small travelbugs. Or they don't want to hide something larger that will please a larger audience, because hiding something larger takes more effort. The game started as containers with swag. Alas, like many things the lowest common denominator wins out. If it's cheaper, easier, faster with minimal effort, and nothing reigns that practice in, then that style of play becomes the dominating style.

The only thing I can think of to send a message, is to say something in the logs. Example, 'I was surprised to find this pill bottle, when there are so many of spots in this wooded area for a larger cache.'

Geez, it took until post #29 before someone (besides myself) got it. :lol: The thread is about cheap, lazy micros in locations (rural) that probably could and should support a larger cache. The lowest common denominator, indeed. That is why micro caches will continue to be the most common cache size in the world, and eventually dominate the listings. Look at the stats tab of any lamestream Geocacher right now, and you're going to see micros as their #1 found size, usually around 50%. Don't look at mine though, you'll find them 3rd on the list after regular and small. Heck, the newbie lady mirco spewing my town the last few weeks has 65% micro finds. :huh: