New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

Here's hoping they don't cancel on you.

They cancelled mine. I had saved 15% for opening a Visa. I could call to fight it but I decided not to. It's probably not much of a stretch to say that Garmin promised a March date and then couldn't deliver, and Garmin probably wasn't very responsive in providing Bean with specific information. Bean is a pretty reputable company, and probably didn't want its customers feeling jerked around because Garmin is dropping the ball on delivery dates. So the best thing to do as a reputable retailer is cancel the orders.

I've decided best to wait anyhow for the new-releases prices to come back to earth, and the Beta testing phase to work out the bugs. Hopefully they'll have fixed most crashes, track glitches, compass hiccups, indexing issues, wireless issues, battery issues, etc, by then. If not, well, there are still other options out there, including older Garmin units.

I preordered from Bean's on the 30th of Jan. Since then I have received two emails that the shipping date has been moved. If you DON'T respond to the email and accept the NEW shipping date the order will be cancelled. I also ordered at a time when they were having a sale. I was told that since they couldn't charge my credit card until the item shipped I would need to contact customer service to get the discount. Looking forward to the new oregon and will be looking for a new home for my present 550T. ;)

I preordered from Bean's on the 30th of Jan. Since then I have received two emails that the shipping date has been moved. If you DON'T respond to the email and accept the NEW shipping date the order will be cancelled. I also ordered at a time when they were having a sale. I was told that since they couldn't charge my credit card until the item shipped I would need to contact customer service to get the discount. Looking forward to the new oregon and will be looking for a new home for my present 550T. ;)

hmm weird, I ordered mine on 2/19 and I haven't received any emails since then. When I pull up my order it says "Available on 03/31/2013 (details) If this ship date is acceptable, no action is required."

hmm weird, I ordered mine on 2/19 and I haven't received any emails since then. When I pull up my order it says "Available on 03/31/2013 (details) If this ship date is acceptable, no action is required."

It might be that they have sold out of pre-orders and aren't expecting more until May. Let's hope that's the case as I want to see some reviews before mine ships.

Thanks for the cancellation warnings. I'll keep a eye out for any e-mails.

I heard from little green men that the new Oregons aren't a patch on their Interplanetary Four Dimensional Predictive Positioning Systems.

But when I asked them about how many Geocaches they can store in their units they blinked, blushed and confessed they couldn't even wedge one stinkin' waypoint into them.

We'll get them when we get them.

I heard from little green men that the new Oregons aren't a patch on their Interplanetary Four Dimensional Predictive Positioning Systems.

But when I asked them about how many Geocaches they can store in their units they blinked, blushed and confessed they couldn't even wedge one stinkin' waypoint into them.

We'll get them when we get them.

Are you a writer by trade, or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

That's a nice youtube move, but no review. :( :(

In this movie they show you can smash the Oregon 600 to the concrete and it works on dense bush near to the rockwall.

The one question I continue not to get an answer to is regarding the screen. Is it plastic again or something like Gorilla Glass?

That would be excellent. The plast screens on the Oregon 450/550 scratch like you wouldn't believe.

Nothing that a quality screen protector does not solve.

Wonder if there is one that can be purchased before the unit comes out, or would any 3" protector work

That would be excellent. The plast screens on the Oregon 450/550 scratch like you wouldn't believe.

Wonder if there is one that can be purchased before the unit comes out, or would any 3" protector work

I have a spare for my Oregon 450 I plan to slap on it.

I doubt most will bother with a screen protector once they have an Oregon 6xx in their hands, and have used it some.

That's an interesting comment.

Why do you make that assertion?

Based on my personal experience with an Oregon 650, and the experiences of others I have read about online.

The screen appears to be very robust.

I doubt most will bother with a screen protector once they have an Oregon 6xx in their hands, and have used it some.

Based on my personal experience with an Oregon 650, and the experiences of others I have read about online.

Can I assume that the Oregon 600 series screen is made from a different material than previous Garmin screens? If so, other than being scratch resistant, are there any additional user benefits to be derived from the new type of screen?

Thanks for all of your interesting and valuable insight.

Can I assume that the Oregon 600 series screen is made from a different material than previous Garmin screens? If so, other than being scratch resistant, are there any additional user benefits to be derived from the new type of screen?

Thanks for all of your interesting and valuable insight.

I have one to test, but I have yet to get any specific information from Garmin regarding the screen material. From all the Garmin GPSr I have handled, this screen certainly appears to be the most durable to date. Of course, more time and experience will tell us more, but I have no intention of putting a screen protector on my Oregon 6xx.

I have a spare for my Oregon 450 I plan to slap on it.

The new Oregon 600/650 would seem to have a differently shaped screen to the older models, without the raised bezel that helps to protect the edges of their screen protectors. I'm also a believer in the use of screen protectors but wonder how easy they will be to apply without the bezel to guide one into place, and to protect the edge from lifting. I see that they are being offered in the UK by Amazon already (http://www.amazon.co.uk/atFoliX-FX-Clear-screen-protector-Oregon-650/dp/B00B8CGL0M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=IV4VWWZ64FS3&coliid=IQ8JOQZ4PQMZU) although this only shows a generic photo. I've bought these screen protectors for cameras recently and find them to be excellent quality.

Chris

Even if it is a mineral or other hard glass, as an avid hiker let me assure you my hands, particularly when I'm geocaching, get all manner of grit and dirt on them along the way. American Standard has yet to pefect the Backpacker's Trail Sink with Soap Dispenser and Dryer. After a hike the screen of my Oregon 450 is usually covered with a layer of salt from persperiation, can be quite heavy during long or hot weather hikes. Picking up bark, rocks or clambering over terrain to reach a cache will put fine sand, clay dust, etc. on my fingers and that's what has done in the plastic layer of the Oregon 450 screen. It will undoubtably scratch glass, even at a microscopic level over time will become apparent.

It is reassuring to have a harder surface than plastic, but I've learned my lesson and will still place a relatively inexpensive protector over it, which can be replaced much easier than the glass screen.

so I just got email from LL Bean that my Oregon 600 will ship on May 5th. On their regular site now they just say it's sold out.

That sucks, I got 20% by signing up with their CC. If it's available earlier somewhere else that's extra $60 for me :-/

Concur with Dragons,

Any gadget I get, the first thing I do is get a screen protector on it before I even touch it. Even gorilla glass, especially on a GPS which I literally beat the crap out of in the bush.

It also helps the resale value if the glass is "flawless". If I don't put a protector on it there are always scratches over time.

Then again I'm probably just being overly retentive.

Concur with Dragons,

Any gadget I get, the first thing I do is get a screen protector on it before I even touch it. Even gorilla glass, especially on a GPS which I literally beat the crap out of in the bush.

It also helps the resale value if the glass is "flawless". If I don't put a protector on it there are always scratches over time.

Then again I'm probably just being overly retentive.

Scratches don't only come from fingers, I've dropped mine, left it on the car as I drove away, dropped rocks and stuff on it. It's a wonder it's still there. My GPSMap 60c has crack from falling off the dash of the car and landing face down on the rails the seat moves on. If it can happen, it will.

In the news today a Geocacher was struck on the hand by a meteorite. "Ouch", he said, followed by, "Well, there's another scratch. Dang."

so I just got email from LL Bean that my Oregon 600 will ship on May 5th. On their regular site now they just say it's sold out.

That sucks, I got 20% by signing up with their CC. If it's available earlier somewhere else that's extra $60 for me :-/

X2

I have an Oregon 650 on backorder from REI and just got the email this morning that the order has been delayed (doesn't say until when...). What's strange is that if you search REI.com for 'Garmin Oregon' nothing is returned (no 4xx or 5xx models, let alone 6xx). Up until a couple days ago they showed the 4xx/5xx series in stock.

[quote name=Team-H :)' timestamp='1364559214' post='5228138]

I have an Oregon 650 on backorder from REI and just got the email this morning that the order has been delayed (doesn't say until when...). What's strange is that if you search REI.com for 'Garmin Oregon' nothing is returned (no 4xx or 5xx models, let alone 6xx). Up until a couple days ago they showed the 4xx/5xx series in stock.

I'm not aware of any dock worker strikes around the port of Oakland, which once held up a new computer monitor.

[quote name=Team-H :)' timestamp='1364559214' post='5228138]

On Amazon, the pre-order status for O650 is gone, and it now shows "Usually ships in 1 to 2 months"

Now GPSCity is showing May 6. Although Garmin has screwed up the launch, one can hope that the firmware will be less buggy than most of the newer Garmin GPSr's have been when it is finally released (i.e. fewer firmware updates in the first year of the unit's life).

Now GPSCity is showing May 6. Although Garmin has screwed up the launch, one can hope that the firmware will be less buggy than most of the newer Garmin GPSr's have been when it is finally released (i.e. fewer firmware updates in the first year of the unit's life).

I'm just hoping it will arrive in time for Santa to put one in my Christmas stocking! (That's this year!!)

I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised. IMHO, the current firmware is already more polished than most of my other Garmin GPSr units at launch. And they are still polishing daily :)

Well I was hoping to get on here and find that a couple early birds got there Garmin Oregon 600 series. But it looks to be delayed :huh:

I was really wanting to see someone with a Standard .GPX file (1.0 or 1.1 - say generated from GSAK) w/ 30K+ caches in it loaded up and no balking. I know it's been debated as to what they mean by unlimited, as for myself, I question it until I see a huge quantity in there. I don't mean all 2M geocaches but something that would cover a couple big cities. 1000 or even 5000 caches a few years ago would have been fine, but now many NA and EU cities are have > 10K caches in them. When I travel (even across the city I live in) I don't want my GPSr to be restricted to relatively small pockets of caches. I've had as many as 35K caches in my phone to cover my home city and two other cities I was visiting. Sure I could have gone live view on my phone but you never know when Data Service is going to crap out of Groundspeak decides to perform an update.

I'll check back in a couple weeks (unfortunately after the Texas Challenge XI Mega Event) and see if anyone's demonstrated this.

Well I was hoping to get on here and find that a couple early birds got there Garmin Oregon 600 series. But it looks to be delayed :huh:

I was really wanting to see someone with a Standard .GPX file (1.0 or 1.1 - say generated from GSAK) w/ 30K+ caches in it loaded up and no balking.

I have nearly 50k geocaches loaded on an Oregon 650.

Nearly 22k geocaches surrounding Seattle, WA:

gcseattle.gif

And another 24k + geocaches loaded covering a large portion of the state of Arizona:

gsakgcazcoverage.png

gcaz.png

I know it's been debated as to what they mean by unlimited, as for myself, I question it until I see a huge quantity in there. I don't mean all 2M geocaches but something that would cover a couple big cities. 1000 or even 5000 caches a few years ago would have been fine, but now many NA and EU cities are have > 10K caches in them. When I travel (even across the city I live in) I don't want my GPSr to be restricted to relatively small pockets of caches. I've had as many as 35K caches in my phone to cover my home city and two other cities I was visiting. Sure I could have gone live view on my phone but you never know when Data Service is going to crap out of Groundspeak decides to perform an update.

I'll check back in a couple weeks (unfortunately after the Texas Challenge XI Mega Event) and see if anyone's demonstrated this.

Hope this helped answer your questions :)

I was really wanting to see someone with a Standard .GPX file (1.0 or 1.1 - say generated from GSAK) w/ 30K+ caches in it loaded up and no balking.

gcseattle.gif

And another 24k + geocaches loaded covering a large portion of the state of Arizona:

gsakgcazcoverage.png

gcaz.png

I know it's been debated as to what they mean by unlimited, as for myself, I question it until I see a huge quantity in there. I don't mean all 2M geocaches but something that would cover a couple big cities. 1000 or even 5000 caches a few years ago would have been fine, but now many NA and EU cities are have > 10K caches in them. When I travel (even across the city I live in) I don't want my GPSr to be restricted to relatively small pockets of caches. I've had as many as 35K caches in my phone to cover my home city and two other cities I was visiting. Sure I could have gone live view on my phone but you never know when Data Service is going to crap out of Groundspeak decides to perform an update.

Great Thanks!

gcseattle.gif

gsakgcazcoverage.png

gcaz.png

For every answer there is another question ...

How do you load these large numbers of caches? I thought GGZ was the only means. Does Garmin have a tool available for aggregating GPX files into a GGZ?

You probably didn't notice they don't show as caches. The 650 has a 12K limit. You use GSAK to make a POI file and load that.

Is that a 12K limit for geocaches, as in caches in GPX files?

--Larry

Apparently so. The Montana has the same limit. I was hoping there'd be some info on a GPX>GGZ tool. GGZ so far remains a mystery.

I contacted Garmin in the UK via their Facebook page last week and they said that shipment had been delayed again and it would now be some time in May. I've given up and bought an Etrex 30.

Yesterday I visited a outdoor store (Garmin representative) and the owner said that many customers have cancelled their preorders of Oregon 600 -units because of repeating delays.