New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

Red90, even though I jumped into it, I agree with you completely. It's a non-issue and a silly argument. I'm tempted to call someone names or drop a dirty word in here just to get a mod (maybe even the same one who groused about "unlimited") to lock the thread down. With my luck though I'd probably just get a caution.

-Lee

Edited by user13371

Schweady, you humorously bring up a very good point - on topic and less silly than quibbling over the word "unlimited."

TIME. Even if some listing service - GC, OC, or other - allowed daily downloads of tens of tho.usands of caches... How long would it take to pull down from the host site? How long to copy to the GPS? And RobertLipe alluded to earlier, what does a huge data set do to startup time, sorting and searching?

Wait and see...

Edited by user13371

Do you think you guys should start a new thread about the new darned file format? I keep checking back here hoping to see new information about the Oregon 600 series, release dates, pics, review links, features, etc. I'm not saying the new file format isn't part of it but it's become such a focal point that perhaps a new thread would serve the discussion better?

Thanks

Do you think you guys should start a new thread about the new darned file format? I keep checking back here hoping to see new information about the Oregon 600 series, release dates, pics, review links, features, etc. I'm not saying the new file format isn't part of it but it's become such a focal point that perhaps a new thread would serve the discussion better?

Thanks

HERE HERE. It's getting pretty boring !

Thanks

HERE HERE. It's getting pretty boring !

Indeed, it's degraded to a stupid argument over theortics, while substance is being ignored. The discussion of infinite caching can be taken over to Off Topic where all and sundry jokes and mirth may take full advantage of near infinite space afforded there.

I've only seen a few posts on the GGZ format, so far summarized as: The large numbers of caches are dependent upon GGZ format, not attainable with GPX. GGZ is supposed to be fully available to whomever wishes to implement it (Geocaching.com included)

I'd also like to know a bit about the construction, particulary the face of the screen. My Oregon 450 is very scratched up, mended with a bit of buffing, but the damage largely happens as we get grit on our fingers while caching and soft plastic is no match for it. I haven't been able to determine from Garmin's publicity material whether this is going to be another plastic screen or something more akin to glass.

I'd also like to know a bit about the construction, particulary the face of the screen. My Oregon 450 is very scratched up, mended with a bit of buffing, but the damage largely happens as we get grit on our fingers while caching and soft plastic is no match for it. I haven't been able to determine from Garmin's publicity material whether this is going to be another plastic screen or something more akin to glass.

I recommend putting a Zagg Invisible Shield or equivalent on the screen on day 1, it takes the damage and is easily replaced.

Zagg shield ALWAYS. Not one day without one. 14 bucks delivered saves you much consternation down the road.

One thing, often the application of the zagg shield itself smooths over minor scratching and scuffing. So if yours isn't badly damaged a zagg could make it look like new.

Edited by yogazoo

Basecamp Mobile[/i]

Where's the Android version?

exactly. I don't care about this feature at all since I run android. I just hope you will be able to transfer stuff between Oregon and PC via bluetooth

I don't care about apps. I'm expecting this means a new version of Basecamp for the PC will be out soon. So close to release, yet so little detailed information. Maddening.

Any chance we could get back to discussing GPS units and file formats, sometime this weekend?

Any thoughts on my earlier guess that GGZ will be a zip file containing multiple other files, GPX, images, maps all in one bundle?

Pulled off Garmin support:

Question: What are GGZ files?

Answer:

GGZ is a Garmin file extension utilized for a specially formated zipped file containing a large quantity of geocaches. The properties of the GGZ file allow it to be read much faster than a standard ZIP containing a large quantity of geocaches.

Utilizing Opencaching with compatible devices, such as the Oregon 600 series, will allow you to automatically make use of this new file format. Other sites like Geocaching.com may not offer this feature initially.

So there we have it. Next up, finding tools/source/specs for this new Zipping method.

I don't know of these are shipping yet, but someone must have them.

Does anyone know whether the new models have shipped or not? Or have an ETA for them?

BTW I am in the UK but I expect we will get them some time after they hit the streets in the USA.

different stores show shipping date anywhere between 3/12 and 4/1. On garmin's website it says it still hasn't cleared FCC so I presume no, they have not shipped out yet

different stores show shipping date anywhere between 3/12 and 4/1. On garmin's website it says it still hasn't cleared FCC so I presume no, they have not shipped out yet

Indeed, they have not finished FCC approval. Still a few (?) weeks away :(

Edited by BMW JEDI

gpscity.com changed their delivery date from 3/12 to 3/25 today. I guess as long as it ships before 4/1 I'm cool

And if not? Are you going to denounce Garmin, throw out all their products you already own, and switch to another brand? ;-)

no, but I will be mildly annoyed <_<

I'm curious why the FCC delay. Is this their first Bluetooth GPS?

Yes. Nobody has ever sold a Bluetooth GPS in the USA.

Funny, I used Bluetooth GPS units with my Sony Ericsson T68, P800 and T616 phones more than ten years ago, in the USA!

Edited by BMW JEDI

I wonder why not? Feature parity for iOS and Android users (or lack thereof) is gonna be as big a grumbly point as the old Mac vs PC issue. In that realm, Garmin trounced other GPS makers and they could do so he also. Even DeLorme offers their "Earthmate" app for the inReach on both Andoird and iOS.

It also looks like that model is more waterproof compared to the Oregon 450. The Oregon 450 has its rubber gasket in the center of the unit to keep water out of the battery compartment, so water can still get in but not into the center area (so if you get muddy water inside you may have to wait until it dries then open it up and wipe out the inside).

If you look at that third picture for the 600 series, it looks like you have a metal rotating thing to seal it off, kind of like the back of the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. I wonder if that means you don't have to worry about getting that annoying water inside?

pd-01-lg.jpg

They are both rated at IPX7 so I don't guess there would be much difference between them....

They may both be IPX7, but IPX7 doesn't mean how much water can get in, but rather will it get into the electronics section (and thus cause isssues).

I was only mentioning that above because the Oregon 450 lets water into the first department, since the rubber gasket protecting the battery department is further inside. I was thinking it would be nice with the 600 series how it would stop water from even getting into the outer department.

They are both rated at IPX7 so I don't guess there would be much difference between them....

They may both be IPX7, but IPX7 doesn't mean how much water can get in,

It does, that's the whole point of the standard!!

I know what you are interfering though :)

The videos I've seen (how many more of these are there to be prior to release?? :rolleyes: ) show the rubber gasket at the bottom, which I am thinking is a good thing. Now, the question is, will this backfire and merely serve to hold water inside a rubber cup?? C'est la vie...

I have been clicking on this link almost every day. I just can not imagine why they would not have a manual behind this link yet.

f12428c3-298a-4357-a8cc-da56ef2fc60a.jpg

Probably because they're still writing the manuals! A technical writer needs to get his hands on the production-ready kit, with stable firmware, before he/she can finalise the manual. Since the firmware is still being updated before product launch, the manual can't be signed off until the kit is ready to sell. And if the FCC are going to ask for any changes, that can only delay the issue further. I agree it would be nice to read up on the new kit by studying the manual, but would rather we could read about the final product rather than the development model. :)

Chris

You guys really think they are having issues with the FCC? Or has Garmin just not updated their website?

Also, why would the FCC give them so much difficulty on this particular unit? Garmin has released dozens of similar ones in the past, and even already has one functioning GLONASS unit (the eTrex 30).

Probably because they're still writing the manuals! A technical writer needs to get his hands on the production-ready kit, with stable firmware, before he/she can finalise the manual. Since the firmware is still being updated before product launch, the manual can't be signed off until the kit is ready to sell. And if the FCC are going to ask for any changes, that can only delay the issue further. I agree it would be nice to read up on the new kit by studying the manual, but would rather we could read about the final product rather than the development model. :)

Chris

They just didn't post the manual, ready or not the manual is always incomplete.

Chris

Generally a competent organization has the technical writers meeting with the designers, before the design is even finalized. Updating the document as features change, which is rather limited once the product goes to manufacturing. If this unit is to go on sale in the next 3 to 4 weeks, you can bet tens of thousands of the unit are already manufactured, packaged and shipped. Only sitting in a few distribution warehouses for the green light.

I have been clicking on this link almost every day. I just can not imagine why they would not have a manual behind this link yet.

f12428c3-298a-4357-a8cc-da56ef2fc60a.jpg

Interesting. When I was searching the FCC page someone posted above, I noticed the manuals were always included in the approval data. I wonder if the missing manuals are holding up FCC approval. Who knows??

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and I've really got the itch for one of these new Oregons. My 60CSx works fine (except the symbols are wearing off the buttons) but I'd love to have a new GPSr with more current features; and one that would lock into satellites faster. I wouldn't buy a new 600 until after it was out for a while (let it get over its initial teething pains) but I'm getting anxious to see how good these will be.

This 'Hurry up and wait' period is getting tedious!