New Garmin Oregon 600 Series

Looked on the UK Garmin site, but it doesn't give anywhere you can buy it or price :(

Checked the US site and it gives the price as $400 but also states

This device has not been authorized as required by the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained

Maybe they have been a bit hasty putting it on the website?

Edited by eusty

And the best part :

"Unlimited Geocaching: The Oregon can hold an unlimited number of geocaches and supports GPX files from OpenCaching.com for downloading geocaches and details straight to the unit. Using this paperless geocaching feature, users are not only helping the environment but also improving efficiency. The Oregon stores and displays key information, including location, terrain, difficulty, hints and descriptions— it even filters users caches to make searching a breeze, and connects to Chirp® enabled caches."

Finally.

And the best part :

"Unlimited Geocaching: The Oregon can hold an unlimited number of geocaches and supports GPX files from OpenCaching.com for downloading geocaches and details straight to the unit. Using this paperless geocaching feature, users are not only helping the environment but also improving efficiency. The Oregon stores and displays key information, including location, terrain, difficulty, hints and descriptions— it even filters users caches to make searching a breeze, and connects to Chirp® enabled caches."

Finally.

I love that part.

Now, will it take 2 years and 15 firmware releases in order to be usable in the field ?

well I still have good ol'60csx and I am planning on buying new unit this summer. Oregon 600 sure looks very tempting but I really like the higher screen size and resolution of Montana. Does anyone know if there is a planned refresh for Montana units this year as well?

Anyone know if there's a "Wherigo" player on them? The page makes no mention of them, the Oregons in the past have been the only gps to actually have one, so if it doesn't, that would mean no more dedicated gps's that I'm aware of have the player.

I highly doubt it. Garmin stopped adding Wherigo to their firmware after the release of the 550t.

The only thing which stands out for me is GLONASS, and LED backlight (less worries about battery life).

"LED backlight" is already a feature on every handheld available. How do you think every handheld is backlit? Tungsten bulbs? :)

As stated before it looks like a mini-Montana with the addition of some wirless features, capacitive touch-screen, and GLONASS. Should appeal to folks who have an earlier Oregon but me thinks to wait for an updated Montana.

Edited by yogazoo

The only thing which stands out for me is GLONASS, and LED backlight (less worries about battery life).

"LED backlight" is already a feature on every handheld available. How do you think every handheld is backlit? Tungsten bulbs?

As stated before it looks like a mini-Montana with the addition of some wirless features, capacitive touch-screen, and GLONASS. Should appeal to folks who have an earlier Oregon but me thinks to wait for an updated Montana.

+1 sure love R.E.I :)

The screen is smaller (albeit not by much: 1.53 X 2.55 (old) vs 1.50 X 2.50 (new)) than the earlier Oregon series. :(

Having become addicted to the giant screen on my Montana, well, this offering pales a bit. Only thing that may tempt me is the GLONASS capability. However anything more than 12 sats evokes the law of diminishing returns as far as accuracy goes anyway. There will be a slightly larger model, smaller than the Montana but larger than this, on the market very soon.

If only money grew on trees.

Edited by yogazoo

Just a guess.

We may now understand where the software engineers are (lack of recent firmware releases for current models).

BINGO! I think we all probably knew this in the back of our minds though. The only good thing here is that the Montana STILL appears to be the flagship "On the Trail" device, so HOPEFULLY that means they will spin their chairs around, sometime soon, and resume working on Montana firmware. I had convinced myself that a new flagship device was about to appear but now it appear not to be the case (which surprises me).

Well Montana is almost 2 years old now, it won't surprise me if they launch a new model this year.

This bothers me, because the Montana software is far from error free on this very moment.

No way I'm going to buy a new model and doing all the unit swaps and software updates, tweaking and tryouts again, spending time trying updates and downgrading if it was a bad update again.

New models? I will never buy one anymore until it actually really works.

And even then, for car satnav my Android is way better and for off the road I now know the errors of my Montana and also there an Android or Iphone can do the trick.

Don't walk in the Garmin marketing trap (again) let them first optimize the software of the old models.

Being a beta tester in the beginning was ok because we knew, but in the end we all lost, because they didn't finish or even bother to finish the software of the last products, they just launched new models without looking back at the older models that still have many issues.

Edited by splashy

Splashy,

I echo many of your sentiments. I was just entering a note on a waypoint on my Montana and the unit locked up and shut down randomly. It reminded me that there isn't a single time I use my Montana that the unit doesn't freeze up on me at some point.

Garmin's model of releasing new hardware that's barely useable and then tweaking the firmware over the next year or so has grown tiresome. Ever since the Colorado we've been dealing with it and while at times fun, mostly it's been annoying.

There is no real reason to "upgrade" to this model from the Montana. GLONASS is mostly useless fluff where I live anyway.

With you both. I quite enjoyed the early adopting of Garmin GPSr units, as garmin used to be responsive with each unit... but with each new model the software team faded earlier and earlier..and left each unit more and more unfinished.

I have a Montana 650t, enjoy it, but I wish it got more love! Too used to the large screen to get this Oregon refresh, but it looks like a nice unit.

Hmmm ...

I guess you're one of the lucky ones whose Windows PC never freezes? I know mine does occasionally, far more frequently than any of my Garmin GPS. Think we need to keep a perspective here :)

No, my Windows PC doesn't freeze up requiring a reboot every time I use it, or ever. I work in an office of 30+ people that use computers daily and I can't recall the last time someones computer locked up. But let's compare apples to apples. Ever heard of anyones smartphone freezing up darn near every time it's used? There may be rare occaisons but generally NO. Unheard of. And the argument that it's all the map files, birdseye, custom maps, and GPX files that are crammed onto the GPS unit is lame. What about all the third party apps and extraneous software for android?

Still waiting for that ruggedized AA compatible smartphone. I'll never look back at the dedicated GPS market again.

Looking forward to some previews of the new Oregon.

Edited by yogazoo

@ sussamb

Things are in perspective here.

I don't understand why there's always a rejection answer when I say the Garmin model ain't working the way it should and believe me it is NOT working good.

As Maimgray said;

but with each new model the software team faded earlier and earlier..and left each unit more and more unfinished.

This is how it is since Colorado/Oregon/Montana, but also with many other model there where big issues. Yeh even with the mighty 60, but at least they solved it.

And yes I sometimes have a crash on Pc and Android Phone, but this is incomparable to the issues with the Montana.

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Common+Issues

Should the programmers from Garmin solve these issues, or at least somebody from Garmin communicate with the users we wouldn't have to bring it up every time again.

This is a nice looking new model and the Garmin marketing will make you want it, but also this model will have it's issues as all predecessors.

Edited by splashy

Here's how pathetically addicted I am to the hype around new Garmin handhelds. I took a black piece of paper and cut out the exact dimensions of the screen size of the new Oregon. I placed it over the screen of my Montana so I could get a feel of whether or not I could handle the reduction in size (since I would have to sell my Montana to get the new Oregon). After using my GPS all day I just couldn't imagine giving up the big beautiful screen of my Montana. Granted the new Oregon would be more targeted as an upgrade to the current Oregon users (450, 550, 300) but I entertained the thought of how the dual touch screen and GLONASS additions would benefit me. My conclusion was; not as much as a large-a** screen.

Edited by yogazoo

And we have our first two videos of the little guy:

ADDED: Well the screen redraws look fast but not much faster (if at all) than on the Montana. You can see when he drags the map there is the classic white space for a second before the screen populates. I was hoping for a seamless effect.

And that port on the lower right portion of the screen that I thought might be a mini speaker is just a lanyard opening. :(

Edited by yogazoo

Actually, I think some of the older ones may have used small cold cathode fluorescent tubes, as did some of the early colour screen mobile phones. Cold cathode fluorescents have the dual disadvantages of being fragile and relatively power hungry.

Maybe, but ever since the 60C the darned things have been lit up by LED's. To tout this as a feature or to be enamored by the LED back-lighting is hilarious. :laughing: :laughing:

I can see touting the LED if Garmin used an Organic LED (O-LED) but they didn't.

Not a big deal I just find it funny. Movin' on.

Edited by yogazoo

No one has mentioned battery life. I would have hoped that by now the battery life would have been improved over the older Oregon 400 series and I notice it has not. It quotes 16 hours, but based on the fact that my 450 also quotes 4 hours and actually delivers closer to 4 hours with high end batteries I am a little dismayed to see no expected improvement. If it is quoting the same 16 as the 450 I am assuming we can expect the usual 4 to 8 hours of the 450. My Montana on the other hand delivers way more than the stated battery life, often delivering well over 20 hours of use.

I do like the fact that the unit appears to have Bluetooth and I am hoping this means it will communicate with bluetooth enabled stereo systems in vehicles for turn by turn voice commands.

I will sit this one out until I can see there are none of the usual introductory issues such as screen recalls or almost unusable launch firmware.

Been very happy with my Oregon 450 and Montana, but would like the brighter screen of the 600 series and bluetooth if it delivers as expected.

A perfect unit for me and many others i know that use Garmins would be a unit right between the oregon and montana in screensize but much thinner than the montana.