First to Find, But how many "Firsts"

Off Grid

G'day all, "First off" This is NOT about myself or sour grapes Bla Bla Bla as I am NOT a First to Find person (But many are) and thats my point.

I brought this topic up (again I bet) as I just read that most "First to Finds" are logged by only 1% of geocachers (That tends to agree with my findings :-)

To the point, I have a few friends with kids and one friends daughter wanted a First to Find so they set up all they needed with the Iphone app (instant notifications) got everything ready to run out the door, but never make the first to find yet and we are a cache rich area with many new ones coming on line all the time.

Why you may ask? well, and again, I am not bitching as I know "a few" will go that route to just discredit my thoughts on this issue, BUT the main reason why she cant get her first to find is there is a small group of cachers that seem to consistently get there first.

We all must remember this is a Hobby not a "profession" I have seen the hobby of Amateur radio (Ham) go that route, where the few "Big Guns" the guys with BIG bank rolls usually retired win the contests almost every year with out fail and NOT due to skill and effort but to use an analogy we can all relate to is, think of competing against Microsoft (Nuf Said)

In the end, how many first to finds does one need? maybe we should set a "Community limit of five" and after that let some others (Kids) get there first :-)

If you play the FTF game don't expect others to back down on the race to let someone else claim FTF out of the kindness of their heart. It's a race to be the first to sign the log and if you want to be first you have to be fast and have the time to get there first. You never have enough FTFs. :laughing:

Edited by the4dirtydogs

You didn't build that FTF, we all helped you. :ph34r:

that gave me a chuckle.

I got my first FTF this morning in 2 months. It published under a mile from my house but my car was in the shop and my bike had a flat tire, so I ran. Somehow I got there first and shared with the next chap who came. 10 minutes later, another chap came. I would say there are at least dozens of folks who will go for FTFs in my area. You get to know who the other likely folks are. Its meant to be fun, not many take it seriously.

Want a FTF without pressure? Find a cache deep in the mountains that has not been found in say 3+ days, good bet it will be there for you on the 4th day. No pressure that way. Or, solve a puzzle that no one has solved yet and be first that way. Sure you have a small chance some chowderhead out there is not claiming the FTF until you log it, but most folks do not play that way.

So, I guess I should feel bad for running over a half mile to go get a FTF, but I do not.

G'day all, "First off" This is NOT about myself or sour grapes Bla Bla Bla as I am NOT a First to Find person (But many are) and thats my point.

I brought this topic up (again I bet) as I just read that most "First to Finds" are logged by only 1% of geocachers (That tends to agree with my findings :-)

To the point, I have a few friends with kids and one friends daughter wanted a First to Find so they set up all they needed with the Iphone app (instant notifications) got everything ready to run out the door, but never make the first to find yet and we are a cache rich area with many new ones coming on line all the time.

Why you may ask? well, and again, I am not bitching as I know "a few" will go that route to just discredit my thoughts on this issue, BUT the main reason why she cant get her first to find is there is a small group of cachers that seem to consistently get there first.

We all must remember this is a Hobby not a "profession" I have seen the hobby of Amateur radio (Ham) go that route, where the few "Big Guns" the guys with BIG bank rolls usually retired win the contests almost every year with out fail and NOT due to skill and effort but to use an analogy we can all relate to is, think of competing against Microsoft (Nuf Said)

In the end, how many first to finds does one need? maybe we should set a "Community limit of five" and after that let some others (Kids) get there first :-)

Staging a FTF is pretty tacky IMHO and not being first on a staged FTF is poetic justice.

FYI: Logging a find on your own cache is also considered tacky.

Not only do you win the eye-roll of the week award but you've won it for the month too. Sorry. If you need "help" attaining a First to Find then you shouldn't be playing the side game.

Just as I thought, Children that never learned how to "play" We are rolling our eyes!!!

Maybe overly simplified...but my thoughts on First-to-Find is that it is a race and all the "glory" goes to how ever gets there first. It also depends on the community...if highly competitive, then it will be tough. I tired hard for my first...after that, I stopped...but I snag them once in a while...but not by trying...just pure luck. That being said, I don't log them as First-to-Finds...just as regular old finds...

It has been pointed out many times...instant notifications don't arrive at the same time for everyone either.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? FTF is a race and if you choose to play then that's what it takes beating everyone. Eventually the stars may align and you're in the right place at the right time. I got plenty of FTFs before getting a smart phone and just would luck out that one published nearby when I was off work.

Staging a FTF is pretty tacky IMHO and not being first on a staged FTF is poetic justice.

FYI: Logging a find on your own cache is also considered tacky.

Wow, I thought Trolls were a thing of the past guess not!!!

To FTF or not to FTF is the question? There are two or three cachers in this area that log almost all of the FTF's. We decided, a long time ago, not to chase them and still have managed to log some. For us, the FTF's happen more by circumstance than anything. If we're in the area when a new one pops up then we might go. Otherwise, we'll let someone else verify that tha coords are good and that a cache is really there.

Just to second Lamoracke's post, we have a puzzle cache that went about six weeks before someone found it. It's been out about 1 1/2 years and only has 11 finds. We've given out clues to a few cachers when asked but really hate to do that. Didn't think the puzzle was all that tough when we came up with it but it has discouraged the FTF hounds from finding it.

We just think everyone plays the game the way they want to.

Not only do you win the eye-roll of the week award but you've won it for the month too. Sorry. If you need "help" attaining a First to Find then you shouldn't be playing the side game.

Just as I thought, Children that never learned how to "play" We are rolling our eyes!!!

The issue is not that you have not yet learned how to play the game. But that you're suggesting everyone else hold back so that you can get into the game. To me that just isn't right. If you're handed the prize what good is the competition?

You gotta just keep trying. Maybe look a little further afield. There's a cache 30 miles east of me that's been sitting there untried for 4 weeks. It's in tick territory which is why I'm waiting but it's just an example that there might be tougher to reach caches that these FTFers won't try. I know that's how it is around here. If you can drive up to it, they're all over them but if it takes a little effort, you have some time before it's found 'first'. Good luck.

The issue is not that you have not yet learned how to play the game. But that you're suggesting everyone else hold back so that you can get into the game. To me that just isn't right. If you're handed the prize what good is the competition?

WTF?? When did "I" say "I" wanted a first to find and I have many myself but I guess you cant read. Trolls...

If you really want a FTF, you can sort a search from your home coordinates by date last found and find caches that have never been found. There are usually several within driving distance. My experience is that FTF hounds tend to only go for the easy finds; a difficult puzzle or an extended hike will be enough to keep them away. Besides which, your kids will find being FTF on something challenging much more gratifying than being the first to lift a lamp-post skirt.

Examples near your location:

Unfound

Unfound

Unfound

In fact, some of those look pretty easy.

There was a thread exactly like this a month or two ago.

If they're not getting there first, they eventually will if they keep at it.

This can be a good lesson for kids, that if you want something, be prepared to work hard and be ready for disappointment along the way.

#1 They've already got a smartphone, which is a huge advantage, more than I have and I've gotten at least 10 FTFs.

#2 They need to practise getting out of the door REALLY fast. 30 seconds would be good.

#3 They should only go for caches that are close to their homes.

#4 They can practise their search strategy and will learn about keeping calm under pressure.

#5 They can make it fun. Every FTF they go for, whether they get or not, they can go for a treat after. And enjoy meeting the other cachers and their children. This, for me, is the best part of going for a FTF, is who you meet.

The other FTFs can only drive so fast. They don't have teleporters, trust me. If your friends keep at it, they will get their FTF. :)

OMG, just realized the OP lives in MY area. OK, if your friends live in Victoria, the FTF rush here is NOT that crazy, trust me. Alot of people here are happy to share the FTF if you are searching at the same time as them. Sounds like your friends are just not getting to GZ fast enough. Like I said, we don't even have a smartphone and we've gotten over 10 FTFs. Sometimes we go out for a FTF and wait and wait and nobody shows up. Really.

p.s. another new cache coming out at Langford Lake soon. Heck, it's already in place, they could probably find it by proximity. :ph34r:

Edited by The_Incredibles_

Is what I've bolded taken from my signature? That's just a quote from some guy. And he didn't even say it here, he just randomly posted it to Twitter one day. Probably some time in 2011. As a matter of fact, I'm sure it was, with the "Occupy Wall Street" parody and all. :D

Edited by Mr.Yuck

First, don't let them lose sight of the fact that finding the cache is the fun part. Racing out for FTF adds excitement, but finding a name on the log is not that important compared to the fun of finding a new cache. If they aren't having fun making the find itself, they shouldn't be caching, let along be in the FTF game.

Second, they could contact those FTF hounds and make friends with them. This can improve their FTF chances in many ways, but the most obvious is the chance to get a "meet you there" call when a new cache comes out. (This may or may not be good news when they find out that those calls tend to come at 6am...)

When I started, there was one FTF hound that stole most of them, but he's calmed down a lot. Now there's a small but seemingly ever growing number that get a lot of the FTFs, but there are so many cachers in the area, as often as not FTF goes to someone that doesn't get many FTFs but lives near GZ.

Of course, as usual, fizzymagic's advice is the best: the easiest way to get FTFs is to do hard puzzles and long hikes. Perferably a cache that involves both. If they're trying to FTF park&grabs, they have to expect them to go really quick, since that's the whole idea of a park&grab.

Is what I've bolded taken from my signature? That's just a quote from some guy. And he didn't even say it here, he just randomly posted it to Twitter one day. Probably some time in 2011. As a matter of fact, I'm sure it was, with the "Occupy Wall Street" parody and all. :D

No dont know who you are never read any of your posts, it was what I read on a different site (Maybe were you read it) and I via myself and friends experience I have been caching for many many years,

There was a thread exactly like this a month or two ago.

If they're not getting there first, they eventually will if they keep at it.

This can be a good lesson for kids, that if you want something, be prepared to work hard and be ready for disappointment along the way.

#1 They've already got a smartphone, which is a huge advantage, more than I have and I've gotten at least 10 FTFs.

#2 They need to practise getting out of the door REALLY fast. 30 seconds would be good.

#3 They should only go for caches that are close to their homes.

#4 They can practise their search strategy and will learn about keeping calm under pressure.

#5 They can make it fun. Every FTF they go for, whether they get or not, they can go for a treat after. And enjoy meeting the other cachers and their children. This, for me, is the best part of going for a FTF, is who you meet.

The other FTFs can only drive so fast. They don't have teleporters, trust me. If your friends keep at it, they will get their FTF. :)

Na, they'd probably just complain about how it isn't fair and call all the other cachers names.

OMG, just realized the OP lives in MY area. OK, if your friends live in Victoria, the FTF rush here is NOT that crazy, trust me. Alot of people here are happy to share the FTF if you are searching at the same time as them. Sounds like your friends are just not getting to GZ fast enough. Like I said, we don't even have a smartphone and we've gotten over 10 FTFs. Sometimes we go out for a FTF and wait and wait and nobody shows up. Really.

Hey, that means they're from my area too (if they are from Victoria)! For all I know, I may be one of the aforementioned "FTF hogs".

I totally agree with Mrs. Incredibles' view of Victoria FTFs. I've been a part of many shared FTFs where someone else found it first, and I've also shared many myself when I found it first. Basically, as long as you're searching at the same time, you're going to get a FTF. If your friends want a solo FTF, then as suggested by others, they'll simply have to be faster. There's also nothing wrong with being close behind the FTF. There's almost always a "cache party" at GZ, where the first few cachers will hang around and chat. At one new cache this past Saturday, there ended up being a total of 8 of us and 5 dogs all having a great time at GZ. I've even hung around chatting with others for almost an hour before. It's often the same people, but it's great when we meet someone new. Hopefully we'll be able to meet your friends sometime soon.

p.s. another new cache coming out at Langford Lake soon. Heck, it's already in place, they could probably find it by proximity. :ph34r:

Uh oh, should I pretend I didn't see this? :laughing:

It does beg the question, though: Should I hold back to maybe allow someone else to get FTF, or would that "cheapen" their accomplishment? After all, if everyone else just stayed home, how much of an accomplishment is it, really?

My other 2/3rds iPhone4s has fifteen minute notifications. My sorta-smart windows phone has instant notifications.

I usually call and tell her a new one (she may go for) is out before her phone does.

- Fifteen minute head start in a FTFer-rich area means others are in the car and off before your friends hear about it.

I've cut back a lot on that FTF thing. Most FTFs I get now are long hikes, paddle-tos and other higher terrain hides.

Our last two FTFs (paddle to) came out 8/12 and we found them 8/18, almost a week later.

My other 2/3rds iPhone4s has fifteen minute notifications. My sorta-smart windows phone has instant notifications.

I usually call and tell her a new one (she may go for) is out before her phone does.

Suggest to her that she should get a Gmail address and set up her phone for "push" email. Then she'll get the emails in seconds.

Several posts in this thread have been reported to the moderating team by community members. I see forum guideline violations both by the OP and by other participants in the discussion.

Advice for the OP: When you start a forum thread, remember that it's a discussion that's open to posts from people who do not agree with you. Take the opportunity to learn from others. We never learn anything by reading only the words of those who agree with us. Concentrate on respectful posts, and especially those from the geocachers who said they're from your local area. If you see disrespectful posts, resist the urge to respond in kind and instead, report the posts to the moderating team.

Advice for Others: Post respectfully as required by the forum guidelines. Avoid insults, cliche phrases, and games like "IBTL." I'm specifically not going to close this thread, so as to confound the IBTL game-players. Instead, the discussion will remain open in the hope we will receive more helpful contributions such as (for example) the posts by A-Team. This warning having been posted, future violations will be dealt with using the full force of my Admin Brick.

Who cares. FTF is a silly high school game in the adult world.

Out of all the post, this is the most concise. There simply is no difference between first to find and thirty fourth to find. I guess in the situation the OP describes I would have the kids focusing on the experience caching offers rather than the silly side game, especially if they are dependent on someone else for transportation. They'll stumble on to a first to find eventually.

Who cares. FTF is a silly high school game in the adult world.

Out of all the post, this is the most concise. There simply is no difference between first to find and thirty fourth to find. I guess in the situation the OP describes I would have the kids focusing on the experience caching offers rather than the silly side game, especially if they are dependent on someone else for transportation. They'll stumble on to a first to find eventually.

It may be the most concise but I have heard similar statements made about geocaching in general. And I have said similar statements about golf and Major League baseball

To get this on topic... I used to be in the FTF game pretty heavy and once I realize how childish its to "hog" all the FTF without letting others get a chance, I really slow down doing the FTF game. I have to say that hogging all the FTF does make other people view you as selfish or greedy. It does show the true color in some cachers when they are hogging all the FTF and the way they write in their online logs.

I quit putting out more caches because I got tried of the same FTF hog(s) finding my caches and bragging about it. It does get old after awhile.

I know I cant change this whole thing, but I am doing my part to think of other people beside myself. When a kid get a FTF, its the best thing in the world for them and I want them to have those moments when they are still young.

Edited by SwineFlew

It depends on whose definition of "fairness" you use. One person may believe that since there are a limited number of FTF opportunities it's not fair for a few people to hog all the opportunities. Another person may believe that since every cache is a new chance to be the first to find, it's not fair to restrict who can go after a FTF based on what they have or have not done in the past.

Edited by tozainamboku

First to find is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes the coordinates are off, even as much as a mile because of one small fat-fingered typo. I actually like it better if someone else does the re-con and lets me know if the cache is nice enough, and worthy of a visit. I pay no attention to who found it first. It's more important to know 'okay, who found it last?'

This isn't a contest. There is no prize. It's just a great way to get outside with family and friends. Or without. If I went racing for every first to find out there I would waste so much gas. And nobody says you have to find every single cache, either. I just don't see what the big deal is about being first.

1346102697[/url]' post='5108070']

If you really want a FTF, you can sort a search from your home coordinates by date last found and find caches that have never been found. There are usually several within driving distance. My experience is that FTF hounds tend to only go for the easy finds; a difficult puzzle or an extended hike will be enough to keep them away. Besides which, your kids will find being FTF on something challenging much more gratifying than being the first to lift a lamp-post skirt.

Examples near your location:

Unfound

Unfound

Unfound

In fact, some of those look pretty easy.

I'm booking my flight from USA on Travelocity to get these Three FTFs now..................lmao.....No but seriously, enjoy the game the way you want to play it.

Edited by TeamPanda173

First to find is not all it's cracked up to be. Sometimes the coordinates are off, even as much as a mile because of one small fat-fingered typo. I actually like it better if someone else does the re-con and lets me know if the cache is nice enough, and worthy of a visit. I pay no attention to who found it first. It's more important to know 'okay, who found it last?'

This isn't a contest. There is no prize. It's just a great way to get outside with family and friends. Or without. If I went racing for every first to find out there I would waste so much gas. And nobody says you have to find every single cache, either. I just don't see what the big deal is about being first.

Oh I hate to be the last one to find a cache before it got muggled. Oh it really bug me bad!

Hey, that means they're from my area too (if they are from Victoria)! For all I know, I may be one of the aforementioned "FTF hogs".

I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thread was about a guy with a plan. :P What we should do is designate a specific day of the week, say, Monday where cachers on a certain list agree not to go for FTFs.

Uh oh, should I pretend I didn't see this? :laughing:

It's Monday, so, yes. I'm definately not going to say anything about pink flagging either. :ph34r:

It does beg the question, though: Should I hold back to maybe allow someone else to get FTF, or would that "cheapen" their accomplishment? After all, if everyone else just stayed home, how much of an accomplishment is it, really?

+1

Edited by The_Incredibles_

It is disappointing to try for FTF over and over, only to be foiled every time, and it's worse when the name in the logbook ahead of yours is always the same name. Kids take that sort of disappointment hard, and certainly it does feel unfair when you're always on the losing side.

If they keep at it, sooner or later they'll get it. It needs to be a cache within a few blocks of their location at the time the notification comes in - no point in bothering otherwise (and make sure their notifications are indeed instantaneous, not delayed 15 min - I hadn't heard about that one before this thread - a 15 min delay is fatal). They need to drop everything and run for the door (pretty much every FTF I've ever found has been with slippers and PJs on) - if there's even a three-minute delay waiting for their driver to get out of the bathroom or whatever, forget it - too late.

It's a cut throat side game, and when they finally win, they'll realize that it was a whole lot of effort for a whole lot of nothing much. :) But the victory will still be sweet, especially when it's so hard earned. Someone could always hide a cache specifically for them and give them the coords pre-publication to ensure they get FTF, but victory on that won't be nearly as sweet.

It is disappointing to try for FTF over and over, only to be foiled every time, and it's worse when the name in the logbook ahead of yours is always the same name. Kids take that sort of disappointment hard, and certainly it does feel unfair when you're always on the losing side.

If they keep at it, sooner or later they'll get it. It needs to be a cache within a few blocks of their location at the time the notification comes in - no point in bothering otherwise (and make sure their notifications are indeed instantaneous, not delayed 15 min - I hadn't heard about that one before this thread - a 15 min delay is fatal). They need to drop everything and run for the door (pretty much every FTF I've ever found has been with slippers and PJs on) - if there's even a three-minute delay waiting for their driver to get out of the bathroom or whatever, forget it - too late.

It's a cut throat side game, and when they finally win, they'll realize that it was a whole lot of effort for a whole lot of nothing much. :) But the victory will still be sweet, especially when it's so hard earned. Someone could always hide a cache specifically for them and give them the coords pre-publication to ensure they get FTF, but victory on that won't be nearly as sweet.

I know who you are talking about and I find it funny. :ph34r:

As for pre-publication, its lame and yes it been done around here too often. I heard rumor about pre ftf logs in the Portland area.