What was you first geocache?

jamin8

Mine was at the Detroit Zoo. It was a small, green bison tube hanging amongst the leaves of a tree. Not your normal tree - this thing is large enough to shade several picnic tables but low enough - leafy enough to conceal a marching band under its limbs. Did I mention it was small and green? It was my first micro too!

My son and I were there checking out this wierd park and he stumbled upon this equally wierd pill bottle with camo tape. If you haven't guessed yet, we were muggles. I opened the pill bottle (shielding him from any adverse reaction to it's contents) and found a list of names and dates along with a homemade token. Luckily the token included "geocaching.com" on it. We went gome and googled it. The rest is history.

Our first one had coords that took us into the woods to a tree with a rifle scope attached to it. Well you put your eye up to the scope and the crosshairs were fixed on a point about a hundred yards away. We walked to that point and there was a nicely hidden ammo can. We were hooked after this one.

Mine was a magnetic key holder on a guard rail, but I kept caching anyway.... :)

haha, mine was the same. I must admit that finding that insignificant key holder was a great victory in a sense because I had failed on my first few searches. :D

Hey, mine too!

And I found it with my Nuvi, because I couldn't wait for my eTrex Venture HC to arrive.

Ah, I remember it as if it were only weeks ago. That's probably because it was. I too found a magnetic key holder on a guard rail. I didn't even bother using a GPS to find it.

I know more seasoned cachers will scoff at such hides, but it was pretty exciting at the time. To tell the truth, I'm already getting a bit tired of guard rail caches, but I'll take whatever I can get. ^_^

Edited by magicalhelmet
The first one? Nope, I never logged it online. Thats a secret!

Actually, now that I think about it, mine was a plastic container hidden in the stump of a tree, somewhere in Folsom. Never did log it online, never created an account then, back in 2004 or so, and it's been archived so I can't even find it anymore. So it's a secret from me as well.

Our first was a 2 stage multicache hidden in the woods back in 2002. I just happened to check on it yesterday and found it to be good shape. The first stage had to be moved and replaced because of some bulldozing a while back but the final is still the original plastic container hidden in the same spot.

The first person to find it signed the log in May of 2002 and left a new calculator for trade. I noticed that calculator was still in there yesterday. The cache just made 10 years last month! :D

Edited to say: Ooops, i was thinking we were talking about the first cache that we hid. The first cache that i found was an ammocan hidden out in the woods. Was exciting to find it and it definitely got me hooked on caching..

Edited by Mudfrog

I was on a house boat before everyone woke up. Found a app (Not Geocaching.com) and was interested. Told my daughter PinkNinja about it and she thought it was cool but my sister who is a parol officer said it was dangerous. We looked it up later and went out and found a cool cache regular sized wrapped in a huge spider! We were hooked and quickly found geocaching.com. Funny thing is that all the caches we found at first were from that same cacher as he was the only one with hides on that app. Later we made our first hide and he was FTF on it! Now we know him and even spent Christmas with him and his family and hang out sometimes! Geocaching is great fun and we have met many good friends from it. Also my daughter noticed quickly the FTF on most of the first caches we found and we are also friends with that cacher as well.

-WarNinjas

I was told about Geocaching by a colleague at work who's daughter had started with his granddaughter. Sounded interesting, so downloaded the app and realised that there was one less than 100m from where I work. So, after work that's exactly where I went. It was a small lock 'n lock with a few small swaps and was an easy find with a very specific hint. I have since revisited this cache twice whilst introducing 2 more colleagues to the game.

well,

my first cache was a large container with little trade items....

it was .1 miles away from my house so it was easy...

it was called marsh view

Ya mine was about five feet from my house and my friend down the road showed me it. It was the easiest hide to find ever

and thats probably why it was taken <_<

Mine was a small container along a walking path in an area that I used to play in when I was a kid. Knowschad posted a DNF before we went out and found it and then he posted another DNF after we found it. Then it got archived. Too bad...it was a fun little cache.

Tell the whole truth now, buddy. The cache was missing when I tried for the 2nd time.

Mine was a small container along a walking path in an area that I used to play in when I was a kid. Knowschad posted a DNF before we went out and found it and then he posted another DNF after we found it. Then it got archived. Too bad...it was a fun little cache.

Tell the whole truth now, buddy. The cache was missing when I tried for the 2nd time.

We all know that the real reason is because the dog needs new glasses :ph34r:

Mine was a monster hanging from a storm drain

Very interesting! I helped some friends hide a cache near St. Paul that fits that description. It was shortly after they made a trip through your home state!

It has earned several favorite points and is right off an interstate so I am sure many people have been inspired by it...

We can not be certain it was missing when you tried for it that 2nd time. You obviously missed it once so missing it a 2nd time is at least a possibility.

Mine was just a few weeks ago, I have been wanting to play for almost a decade, but I finally got a phone with GPS. I have been having a bit of a hard time to get it to work nicely offline. I finally noticed it worked a lot better on the move (on my bicycle) and my first find was at a local park after a few misses. I didn't bother reporting those because they were so close to home, I knew I'd try again if I could get the phone to coop and to generally get the hang of this.

Conveniently, it was a medium camo'd tupperware bungied to a tree (couldn't miss it once took a step into the trees) with lots of neat nicknacks, altho I had nothing to swap yet. I decided after that to go premium. It is great I can use this as a little extra motivation to get my exercise.

My first cache was an ammo can with some interesting trade items, hidden under a pile of sticks in a lovely little park I had never visited before about 2 or 3 miles from my house. It was the closest cache for me at that time. Mind you, that was over 10 years ago now. I feel kind of sorry for those of you who were introduced to this game by finding a boring old magnetic keyholder on a section of guardrail. My log

A co-worker told me about some cool caches in the station's area, totally ignoring the fact that i was a muggle at that time, wondering a bit what he talks about (having heard about it before, but never paid much attention). He explained nothing more. Maybe somehow he thought I simply had to be a geocacher. B)

I looked the whole thing up on gc.com and was surprised finding one in 2 minutes walking distance from my house. It was a bridge over a creek we used to play as kids, so reading the hint "zntargvp" I immedeately knew where it has to be - and there it was! A small container, including some swag items.

Few days later I just checked the website for more local caches and saw a new one, coincidental just published at this very moment. A very nice multi, and I made the FTF. :D

This soon turned into a whole family hobby from then on, even the dog is fully involved.

I decided to test the waters last summer/fall using my smartphone and a free app, to see if I'd enjoy geocaching.

My first cache was one placed by someone I had known for about a decade before I became interested in geocaching.

It was a lock N lock container located in the woods about 20 km south of where I lived.

There were caches just down the street from where I live, but I wanted to grab the one placed by my friend instead.

I found 3 more caches last year, but got enough of the bug to want to continue.

I bought a dedicated GPSr in December 2011 and resumed caching in late April of this year.

I started the year with a find count of 4 and am averaging about 50 finds per month at the moment.

My first find was a classic tupperware in the woods, hidden in a hollow log. It is now one of oldest caches in the area and still active. The cache owners unfortunately are not. Local cachers are maintaining it...but that is perhaps subject for another thread :unsure: .

Edited by lucy~

My first one was a full ammo can hidden right off a walking trail not far from home. The second was a bison tube in a hole drilled in a rock not far away. I didn't know what a bison tube was, so DD used her phone to ask Cha Cha.

To this day, I don't know how I came up with the coordinates for them, since I hadn't created an account at that point. (At least if I did create an account, I've never again figured out what it was.)

GC106D

Imperial Data Cache was my first find. I was into photography then and noticed a mention of geocaching on a Sony Digital Camera forum. I already had a Garmin 45 and checked on geocaching.com and found this cache only a mile north of me. Hopped on my scooter and headed for the cache. The Garmin 45 lost satellite fix as soon as I headed into the forest. Rode down to Fred Meyers and bought a new Magellan 330 and found the cache. It was deep into the forest in a large plastic container. At that time the forest was full of junk cars, homeless people and tracks made by 4 wheelers. They have now cleaned it up and it has a parking lot and sawdust trails. It is still there and active.

My first was off the Appalachian trail that I screwed up majorly. I left trail way to early. Bushwhacked 700 ft. Got turned around after finding the cache and my phone was all but dead and i lost all data for a while so i couldn't even txt the wife my cords just in case. Had a little panic moment as I had no clue how to get back if my phone died.

I found the trail in time luckily.

lesson learned, I bought a proper gpsr with plenty of spare rechargeables (can't remove battery in droid razr so no spares) and I always continue on the trail longer to see if it switchbacks or turns.

Edited by Misfit-77

Mine was an ammo box in a small but heavily wooded park less than half a mile from home. Nice hike out with my wife. She's actually the one who found it. Great location, great container, great condition. And it was placed in 2001 to boot! Sort of spoiled me right off the bat. :)

My first one was found by reading the description and figuring out a rough location (within a few hundred metres or so!) and then doing a big expanding search (this was before we got a GPS and before the smart phone app!). Well we finally made the find, which was a medium sized container under a bush near a lookout, overlooking the Murray River in South Australia; a fantastic location and a glorious find! Anyway, we went on to make many more GPS free finds, before I dug out my old Garmin and we'd drive around with that hanging out the window somehow finding caches and then the smartphone app came along and its all too easy now! Of course I've got a shiny new Magellan too and heading to my 800th find (and we still laugh at all the finds we made without a GPS!) (we even used the navigational marker of a dead bunny as a clue to find a cache!) <_<

Assuming you mean found then mine was one of those butter cookie tins you see for sale everywhere around Christmas time. In fact here it is with it's original contents.

2eb4a3a8-260b-4f4d-ae73-3b3ff65a4286.jpg

The CO removed most of the butter cookies when he hid the cache but there were still some stale butter cookies left when I found the rusting tin.

Edited by Glenn

Mine was a Small Tupperware container hidden on the borderland of a local cemetery between two sandstone rocks about a mile from my house in Southern Ohio. My second was View Carre in NOLA. (If you are ever in The Big Easy, definitely do View Carre cache. You won't regret it!)