Cache on a lakeshore

AneMae

Would like some feedback on this idea.

I live near a conservation area, with a small lake. I was thinking of canoeing to the end of the lake to hide a cache on a tree near the shore. The only way to get to this spot is by canoe. Cacher's would have to pay a small fee for a day use pass to get into the park and rent (or better yet bring their own) canoe, get on the lake and paddle to the cache. Placing caches in this conservation area is not an issue, and there are several there currently.

I would plan on doing this for next summer.

(In the meantime my daughter and I are working on our first cache, we are new at this, for an area close to our place, off a rural road-it is shaping up to be a fun project!)

Any comments/experience is appreciated.

Thanks,

AneMae

The only way to get to this spot is by canoe.

I love this style of cache, because I consider a phrase like that a challenge.

I recently found a cache like you describe, and it was a most enjoyable experience. I studied maps of the exploration roads, parked at an oil well, then followed cut lines and finally bushwhacked a distance to the remote cache on the back shore of that pretty lake.

ed33caa3-5b96-460a-8983-872491bed393.jpg

I've heard of (but have not done) a few caches where you're supposed to canoe or kayak to the cache. I think that's fine. Just put down in the description that you need some sort of canoe/kayak/inflatable kiddie boat to get to it and that there is a fee required. I think saying there's a fee would be important, because it would suck to get out there expecting something for free and then BAM! you have to pay. Some people get really upset when they're taken off guard like that :rolleyes:

Sounds like a fun cache! Good luck you guys! :)

Would like some feedback on this idea.

I live near a conservation area, with a small lake. I was thinking of canoeing to the end of the lake to hide a cache on a tree near the shore. The only way to get to this spot is by canoe. Cacher's would have to pay a small fee for a day use pass to get into the park and rent (or better yet bring their own) canoe, get on the lake and paddle to the cache. Placing caches in this conservation area is not an issue, and there are several there currently.

I would plan on doing this for next summer.

(In the meantime my daughter and I are working on our first cache, we are new at this, for an area close to our place, off a rural road-it is shaping up to be a fun project!)

Any comments/experience is appreciated.

Thanks,

AneMae

the suggestions to make it clear in the description are great

you should also make use of the relevant attributes

sounds like a great idea and many will enjoy it, we went in the fall to a park specifically for canoe caches, it was awesome :D

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet and may not be obvious at first: You'll need to get in contact with the conservation authority and get permission for the cache placement ahead of time. Our local reviewers are, ahem, very diligent, ahem, with those kinda things. :P

Good advice about terrain rate 5, and appropriate attributes (e.g. boat required, not winter friendly) as well letting people know it's a canoe-required cache in the description.

You should get quite a few favourite votes. Around here canoe-boat caches are highly favoured.

appropriate attributes (e.g. boat required, not winter friendly)

Here in Canada, it's very easy to get across lakes in winter. Veeeery easy. There are lots of ways to not need a canoe.

205e1914-bd61-43eb-8745-81df89b9d384.jpg

:lol:

Yeah, "canoe/boat" access doesn't necessarily mean "not winter friendly", that's for sure. I've seen some "canoe/boat access" caches that got more visits in the winter than they did in the summer.

I would definitely check with the Conservation Authority before placing the cache. You might need "explicit" permission.

It's my favorite kind of cache, since knee surgery. Paddling was easier than hiking for a long time.

I have several paddle caches, and I find there are people who will do what they can to find a cache, including hiking over ice in a swamp with moving water. So, I include a link to an ice safety chart for those kinds of people.

With the recent deaths of two seperate cachers who passed away from falls while caching, we as hiders can only do what we can to insure that they know the risks involved. We can't prevent them from taking, or exceeding, those risks. But this way, I know I have done what I can. One of my caches is approached by crossing a RR track with no gate, I include a paragraph about looking both ways.

You can lead a cacher to a cache page, but you can't make them read it!

If you hide it, they will come. Rate the terrain a 5, and use your attributes feature.

One question though, if the cache is on the shore how is it only accessible via boat?

This is a pretty good point.

That was my question as well.

Yes, that's a good point.

Parking and canoe/boat launch coordinates should be included as "additional waypoints" to save the cache hunters a lot of hassle.

Paddle caches are great fun. I own a few and have found a few.

One question though, if the cache is on the shore how is it only accessible via boat? Is it illegal to walk to it? Because if it's not illegal (and maybe even if it is) you can bet people will try to reach it on foot.

It hangs out over deep water, and you can't reach it from shore. I have one of those, and did another shore cache that was tucked into a sheer rock face. You couldn't get that from shore.

Yeah, "canoe/boat" access doesn't necessarily mean "not winter friendly", that's for sure. I've seen some "canoe/boat access" caches that got more visits in the winter than they did in the summer.

Yup, like ours.

8b0cf1c5-8633-4bdf-8da8-15ddf728f0b5.jpg

But, it's still T5s, because most of the time, you do need a boat.

Yup, like ours.

8b0cf1c5-8633-4bdf-8da8-15ddf728f0b5.jpg

But, it's still T5s, because most of the time, you do need a boat.

I'll bet you can't do that this winter, as in like right now. :lol:

One other thing to consider about your cache - know what happens to the shore when the lake level rises. In some places this can wash away your cache, possibly before it has been found. This may seem like kind of a "duh" type point, but after seeing several local marinas flooded out, I don't think it is. Good luck with your cache, it sounds like fun!

Ant the terrain is 5 because of special equipment

I respectfully disagree. I could swim it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If swimming in the pond isn't allowed, then a T5 is appropriate. Just an idea...

Special skill. Not everyone can swim. I can't.

Paddle caches are pretty common in the Pacific Northwest, and popular for those with the tools and skills.

Found my first water accessible cache (located on an island in a small lake) right before Christmas by walking across the ice! I had been waiting for the ice to come because I didn't want to rent a boat during the summer.

By the way, this is a city owned lake that they plow / maintain an area of for ice skating so it is well monitored for safety.

Well, doesn't look like this one is going to happen. I sent a letter requesting permission and this is what I got back (I took the names out so it cannot easily be identified)

Thank You for emailing your request to place a geocache at Lake _________ Conservation Authority. We have received requests for this in the past; however, the position of Management and the Board of Directors is to not approve these requests on our properties. We are also aware of a number of existing caches on our properties including Lake __________. These existing caches were not approved by the Authority. This being said, staff are currently assessing this activity and the possibility of getting involved with geocaching on our properties. I understand that geocaching is becoming more and more popular. I can see the potential of having this activity on our properties to promote what we have to offer on our lands as well as offer another great place for geocachers to enjoy. I would imagine that if we were to get involved we would be placing caches on our own properties, rather than allowing others to place them. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Glad he got back to me, I must admit I am somewhat disappointed.

Will be interesting to see how this group moves forward with this and deals with the exisiting caches. I think there are only two right now.

Oh well, will start looking for other places for a lake cache.

AneMae

One question though, if the cache is on the shore how is it only accessible via boat?

This is a pretty good point.

That was my question as well.

There was a cache along the shore of the next Finger Lake over from where I live. It was located in a spot that was surrounded by private property. The only way to get to it without crossing over private property was by boat.

Before I started geocaching I went to a lake in the Adirondacks which had all the land surround it purchased by the State several years ago. The lake is about six miles long and the State built 25 primitive campsites along the shore and all but two are only accessible by boat. There are actually no caches located along the shores of the lake but I imagine that for this State controlled land they might limit access to staying on the few trails (which do *not* circumnavigate the lake) and theoretically a cache could be placed along the shore that would only be accessible by boat. The area is designated as a Wilderness Area so geocaching may not be allowed at all something like this where the land where a cache is located is managed by the State, and has access limitations, could produce a cache which is along a lake shore but only accessible by boat.

Ant the terrain is 5 because of special equipment

I respectfully disagree. I could swim it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If swimming in the pond isn't allowed, then a T5 is appropriate.

Even if swimming and walking to the cache were forbidden, many people (including myself) might not rate this as a T5 just because it requires a boat.

Many feel attributes can be used to indicate when special equipment is needed and terrain ratings can be used to indicate how difficult it is to reach the cache when the geocacher comes properly prepared. If the lake normally was calm and the distance wasn't far, then I might rate it a T2 or T3.

Well, doesn't look like this one is going to happen. I sent a letter requesting permission and this is what I got back (I took the names out so it cannot easily be identified)

Thank You for emailing your request to place a geocache at Lake _________ Conservation Authority. We have received requests for this in the past; however, the position of Management and the Board of Directors is to not approve these requests on our properties. We are also aware of a number of existing caches on our properties including Lake __________. These existing caches were not approved by the Authority. This being said, staff are currently assessing this activity and the possibility of getting involved with geocaching on our properties. I understand that geocaching is becoming more and more popular. I can see the potential of having this activity on our properties to promote what we have to offer on our lands as well as offer another great place for geocachers to enjoy. I would imagine that if we were to get involved we would be placing caches on our own properties, rather than allowing others to place them. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Will be interesting to see how this group moves forward with this and deals with the exisiting caches. I think there are only two right now.

AneMae

Excellent response! They've opened the door, now you need to go through it. Offer a plan something like this: they set up and establish the cache, they would own the listing, then you will set a watch on it and do the regular maintenance of it. That way they have control of what is on their property but do not have to task staff with the maintenance.

AneMae

Excellent response! They've opened the door, now you need to go through it. Offer a plan something like this: they set up and establish the cache, they would own the listing, then you will set a watch on it and do the regular maintenance of it. That way they have control of what is on their property but do not have to task staff with the maintenance.

That's what I was thinking, too.

Point out to them that there are 1,623,799 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers worldwide, and that in the last 30 days, there have been 5,098,821 new logs submitted. (this info is available on the front page of the website)

Show then the Geocaching.com Land Management and Law Enforcement and the Cache In Trash Out links.

Let them know that our own guidelines prohibit buried caches... that one guideline seems to be a very important one to wilderness parks managers in particular.

Point out to them that there are 1,623,799 active geocaches and over 5 million geocachers worldwide, and that in the last 30 days, there have been 5,098,821 new logs submitted. (this info is available on the front page of the website)

I'm not entirely sure this will appeal to all land managers.

The Georgia DNS has done the same thing in state parks. They own the listing, but have "stewards" to monitor and maintain the caches.

Paddle caches are great fun. I own a few and have found a few.

One question though, if the cache is on the shore how is it only accessible via boat? Is it illegal to walk to it? Because if it's not illegal (and maybe even if it is) you can bet people will try to reach it on foot.

I have a listing on a Lake trail and using a kayak from the boat landing is a short cut to the cache.

AneMae

Actually, I don't see "game over". Volunteer to work with them on the caching idea, set up to give a presentation using Groundspeak materials and others, take a couple of the staff to some of the more inventive and rememberable local hides, perhaps even suggest setting up an experimental cache under you guidance to help them test the waters. You could even enlist the help of existing cache owners.