Warning! New CHEATER website!

RIclimber

Yeah, these sits have been around for awhile. Not much you can do about it other than delete the logs of obvious cheaters if you are the cache owner.

Well, in the past, peer pressure, or if escalated, even Groundspeak pressure, has gotten these sites shut down pretty quickly. That of course was long before they backed down against that Geocache spoiler video newb guy from England a few months ago. It will be interesting to see what happens here. :o

Should we be surprised the vast majority of them seem to be in Germany?

Every time I hear about geocaching in Germany it's like they're playing a completely different game over there...

I was thinking the same thing! I get 4-5 fake logs on my Virtual a week! 90% from Germany!

I hope you delete them.

Hey there, I'm from Germany and feel kind of discriminated against :surprise:

Just kidding of course, but I suppose it's true that we have a big problem with cheaters and the like. I still don't get the purpose of fake logs and having someone else tell you the coordinates of a certain mystery-cache. Really, the only one you're cheating is yourself. Must be some kind of craving for attention.

What adds up to the problem is probably that Geocaching seems to be very popular over here and we have a lot of people that jump on the trend that don't really seem to understand the purpose.

Either way, a website like this really doesn't bother me much (though it might would if it had the answer to one of my caches) ...let them be. They're only fooling theirselves.

All the caches are in Europe anyway...you're not missing much. :P

There are a few in the United States. You need to scroll the map to the left to see them. And that's the last time I bother to visit the site.

--Larry

Editing to apologize to Larry. There are in fact about 10 caches in America. You have to scroll over and be sure to refresh, or you'll never see them. One of them is in Rhode Island, belongs to the OP. All Eastern half of the U.S., nothing further west than St. Louis.

As I said in my first post, I am very interested to see what happens here. The Frog has in fact gone after websites like this before. And they were undefeated until some guy named Sven came along. :ph34r:

Actually, it would be fun to join and submit a few of my Geo-pal's caches as a joke. I'm funny that way. :o

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Well, since you're not going back, I'll tell you that almost all the caches are in Germany, with about 5 apiece in Switzerland and The Czech Republic. I see nothing outside of Europe.

As I said in my first post, I am very interested to see what happens here. The Frog has in fact gone after websites like this before. And they were undefeated until some guy named Sven came along. :ph34r:

I lied. I decided to go back and take a second look to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

I opened the home page; clicked on "Map" in the Geocaching sidebar; and was presented with a dense map of caches mostly in Germany. Then I scrolled to the left until North America was displayed, and clicked on the "Refresh Coordinates" button at the top of the page. I counted eleven caches, pretty much all of them east of the Mississippi (you need to zoom in a bit to see the two icons in St.Louis and the two outside Washington, DC).

--Larry

Edit: Looks as if Mr. Yuck and I cross-posted. I'm with him, I'm curious to see what happens with this site down the line. Maybe I'm old-fashioned (guilty as charged), but I just don't see the "sport" in that approach.

Edited by larryc43230

Actually, it would be fun to join and submit a few of my Geo-pal's caches as a joke. I'm funny that way. :o

I'm tempted to post a spoiler for one of my own caches, except that I don't want my name associated with that sort of Web site. The cache is GC11XKR, Uncle Fred's Cache, and the spoiler text would read "Behind the shed." Well, duh! :lol:

I figure that might encourage more cachers to visit the cache. Uncle Fred has been a bit lonely of late.

--Larry

I'm tempted to post a spoiler for one of my own caches, except that I don't want my name associated with that sort of Web site. The cache is GC11XKR, Uncle Fred's Cache, and the spoiler text would read "Behind the shed." Well, duh! :lol:

--Larry

Or set the spoiler text to "No Spoiler Needed".

There are a few in the United States. You need to scroll the map to the left to see them. And that's the last time I bother to visit the site.

--Larry

Editing to apologize to Larry. There are in fact about 10 caches in America. You have to scroll over and be sure to refresh, or you'll never see them. One of them is in Rhode Island, belongs to the OP. All Eastern half of the U.S., nothing further west than St. Louis.

Oh, it's not a problem then. If they started including spoilers on caches in the pacific northwest, then we'd have a problem.

:unsure:

It's a German site.

Every time I hear about geocaching in Germany it's like they're playing a completely different game over there...

That's overly simplified. What is true is that many cachers in countries like the Netherland, Germany, Austria have never understood

the concept of virtual caches for quite a number of reasons, one of them being that real armchair caches have been published in the early years while almost no real virtuals existed in these countries (my virtual is one of only two real virtual caches in Austria).

As spoiler sites are regarded, one needs to take into account that the proportion of mystery and multi caches is so much higher in countries like Germany, the Netherlands and Austria than in say Scandinavia or North America. (For example, in Vienna about 43% are traditionals, about 30% mysteries and about 23% multi caches). So there is a huge temptation for cachers who want to increase their find count or just want to go for as many cache containers as possible to circument puzzles. Many of them do not care at all about puzzles or even hate them, but want to go for the finals.

Cezanne

I was thinking the same thing! I get 4-5 fake logs on my Virtual a week! 90% from Germany!

When I get a "greetings from Germany" log on any of my caches, virtual or real, my first instinct is to be skeptical. I received one of those logs last week and the first thing I did was look at the guy's other finds that day. It turned out that he was apparently in the US on holiday, but it's sad that a segment of German geocachers have made every German geocacher an automatic cheating suspect.

Same for me.

I am a german cacher and everytime I hear about caching in the US I think: "Boy, that is sooooo lame....if it were the same here, I'd quit"

The whole bomb squad paranoia hasn't arrived here yet, so you have a lot more ways to make interesting caches as a CO.

Seriously, noone cares about any permissions... :ph34r:

I must admit though that the whole cheating idea is completely stupid, but you got weird people everywhere :blink:

I was reminded of this OLD cheater website. Some guy from Montreal Quebec originally created it, was zany enough to "announce" it in these forums, and took it down within days because of peer pressure from fellow Montreal cachers (I do not believe the Frog had to involve themselves). However it looks like some some guy in Colorado bought the name, and a different site is up. As you can see, it looks about as popular as a 10 mile hike to an ammo box. :P

www.geocheating.com

I figure that might encourage more cachers to visit the cache. Uncle Fred has been a bit lonely of late.

theres a lamp post behind the shed?

theres a lamp post behind the shed?

Not the last time I looked, anyway. :blink:

--Larry

By the way, I signed up for this Czech and or German cheating website. And I still can't even see any final coordinates. Apparently you need 50 credits to do this? English is obviously not the guy's first language, but the way I read his "how it works" link, I could get 10 credits for each person I get to sign up, then can only earn more by submitting caches? This thing is whacked.

How it works link

Geocache spoiler video newb guy from England

Not actually similar. The above youtube just shows you interesting hides avoiding telling what cache.

This thread is about a site that actually gives away the final location to people who are just registered to their site. Well I assume it does, I'm not a registered user so cannot see the hidden information. Wouldn't it be great if it just sent your details of would be cachers off to Groundspeak!

Not actually similar. The above youtube just shows you interesting hides avoiding telling what cache.

This thread is about a site that actually gives away the final location to people who are just registered to their site. Well I assume it does, I'm not a registered user so cannot see the hidden information. Wouldn't it be great if it just sent your details of would be cachers off to Groundspeak!

Well, I suppose not similar. In the beginning, Groundspeak considered it similar, as they banned Sven temporarily, but they backed down. They have definitely, in the past, gone after cheater "final coordinate" websites. One based in Vermont comes to mind. I think it was a Yahoo group. Don't quote me on that, or make me have to look it up though. :lol:

By the way, I signed up for this Czech and or German cheating website. And I still can't even see any final coordinates. Apparently you need 50 credits to do this? English is obviously not the guy's first language, but the way I read his "how it works" link, I could get 10 credits for each person I get to sign up, then can only earn more by submitting caches? This thing is whacked.

How it works link

Looks to me like it would be easier to just do the puzzle(s) rather than mess with this 'short-cut'.

Well, I suppose not similar. In the beginning, Groundspeak considered it similar, as they banned Sven temporarily, but they backed down. They have definitely, in the past, gone after cheater "final coordinate" websites. One based in Vermont comes to mind. I think it was a Yahoo group. Don't quote me on that, or make me have to look it up though. :lol:

Very true, I guess his Youtube site name didn't help - geocachespoilers or similar.

Same for me.

I am a german cacher and everytime I hear about caching in the US I think: "Boy, that is sooooo lame....if it were the same here, I'd quit"

The whole bomb squad paranoia hasn't arrived here yet, so you have a lot more ways to make interesting caches as a CO.

I must admit though that the whole cheating idea is completely stupid, but you got weird people everywhere :blink:

You are right is so lame to expect people to actually ind the cache or comply with the virtual requirments before logging.

Same for me.

You know, this post takes on a new meaning just days later...

--Larry

Better to submit a bunch of bogus coordinates.....

I'm glad to see that none of our German puzzle caches are listed on there, yet. But I have to shake my head that folks are trying to make an end run around the hunt for these caches -- which is often the whole point of the experience -- just to log a find.

They apparently have the final coordinates for a cache I'd always had my eye on, 24, which takes you on a Jack Bauer-type mission and requires a team to solve (or at least it did, smart phones might have made the teamwork moot). It has 323 favorite points, and I don't think it's a stretch to assume that's from the cache hunt and not just from the final cache.

Just stupid. The frog should kill this spoiler site with fire.

I fail to see why this should be the frog's job.

It is natural for people to look for help when they have difficulties doing puzzles. Look at all the cheat sites for video games and other similar activities. Geocaching throws into the mix the finding of a cache. So some people who don't want to spend time working puzzles might use a spoiler site to skip the puzzle part altogether. Of course they miss out of the satisfaction of working the puzzle and probably end up finding just another boring cache.

Seems the issue may come down to whether you see the find count as a score. A finder may resort to using spoiler sites just to get a point. Others seem to feel that this point was gotten by cheating since they didn't put the effort into it that those who solved the puzzle did. If you don't view the find count as a score, then calling it cheating is meaningless. Those who solved the puzzle got the enjoyment and satisfaction of solving the puzzles. Those who used a spoiler site (or a phone a friend) got the enjoyment of finding a cache without the effort of solving a puzzle which they might prefer not to do. Cache owners should accept that not everyone will find the cache in the way they intended, and should be happy that even if there are spoiler sites, some people will still work the puzzles because they enjoy puzzles.

I fail to see why this should be the frog's job.

Groundspeak views its data as proprietary and protects it. Figured it'd be right up their alley.

Coordinates aren't their property.

Cache listings, including their coordinates, are property of the user who created them. Groundspeak has a license to use and make copies of those listings, which enables them to serve out copies to the users (us). The users (we) don't have a license to make copies of the data that comes from Groundspeak, which is why we can't pull a load of caches through PQs and make copies of them available on our own websites.

However, solution/final coordinates of puzzle caches aren't part of the original cache listings (not the visible parts anyway, which are what matters), so Groundspeak has no say over them. Those coordinates were obtained not from Groundspeak, but through other means. The TOU don't apply.

Edited by dfx