Cut N Paste Logs

I know there have been many discussions about Cut & Paste logs and I have read some of them, and I have to say that I am guilty of this on more then 1 occasion. I do this when I get 50+ caches in a day it is just not possible to remember all the caches individually that I find, and lets face it some are the 35mms in Guard Rails as well as some LPCs anyway i digress.

A while ago I had visited Keiser Oregon and got 80 caches and there was 1 cache owner that stated on his cache that if you did a C & P he would delete your log. So it was a real pain to try to remember which ones were his, BTW these are all TRADITIOINAL CACHES that I go for no other type. My question is does the Cache owner have the right to delete my log for a C & P if I signed the physical log. So today I wanted to get to the bottom of this so I emailed Groundspeak and below is the response I received.

Greetings Scubasonic, and thank you for writing to Groundspeak about your logging practices.

There is an ongoing discussion in the Groundspeak forums about the level of detail cachers should put in their found it logs. As far as Groundspeak is concerned, it is not necessary to write anything in the on line found it log. Some cache owners feel "entitled" to some detailed comments in logs since they went to the trouble and expense of creating the cache, and while I can see their point, detailed comments are not a requirement.

With the exception of challenge caches, cache owners may not delete a found it log if the physical cache has been found and the physical log has been signed. In the case of challenge caches, found it logs can be deleted if the requirements in the challenge have not been met.

I hope this clarifies the matter for you.

Sincerely,

-Brad

Signal's Apprentice

Brad Webb

Groundspeak, Inc. - The Language of Location

home of: Geocaching, Waymarking, Wherigo

www.Groundspeak.com

Didn't know if anyone else would like to see where Groundspeak stood on this but there ya go.

Scubasonic

I know there have been many discussions about Cut & Paste logs and I have read some of them, and I have to say that I am guilty of this on more then 1 occasion. I do this when I get 50+ caches in a day it is just not possible to remember all the caches individually that I find, and lets face it some are the 35mms in Guard Rails as well as some LPCs anyway i digress.

A while ago I had visited Keiser Oregon and got 80 caches and there was 1 cache owner that stated on his cache that if you did a C & P he would delete your log. So it was a real pain to try to remember which ones were his, BTW these are all TRADITIOINAL CACHES that I go for no other type. My question is does the Cache owner have the right to delete my log for a C & P if I signed the physical log. So today I wanted to get to the bottom of this so I emailed Groundspeak and below is the response I received.

Greetings Scubasonic, and thank you for writing to Groundspeak about your logging practices.

There is an ongoing discussion in the Groundspeak forums about the level of detail cachers should put in their found it logs. As far as Groundspeak is concerned, it is not necessary to write anything in the on line found it log. Some cache owners feel "entitled" to some detailed comments in logs since they went to the trouble and expense of creating the cache, and while I can see their point, detailed comments are not a requirement.

With the exception of challenge caches, cache owners may not delete a found it log if the physical cache has been found and the physical log has been signed. In the case of challenge caches, found it logs can be deleted if the requirements in the challenge have not been met.

Sincerely,

-Brad

Signal's Apprentice

Brad Webb

www.Groundspeak.com

Didn't know if anyone else would like to see where Groundspeak stood on this but there ya go.

Scubasonic

Not news. Its been reported here before. Jeremy has even officially sanctioned blank logs. But I still say the suck. BradW actually put "entitled" in quotes? While it may not have been intended, that sounds like belittling of that opinion, to me.

You can't even remember 50 caches enough to write something unique? Get a pocket digital recorder, or use the voice recorder app on your smartphone if you use one. Or find fewer caches.

Sincerely,

-Brad

Signal's Apprentice

Brad Webb

www.Groundspeak.com

Scubasonic

Not news. Its been reported here before. Jeremy has even officially sanctioned blank logs. But I still say the suck. BradW actually put "entitled" in quotes? While it may not have been intended, that sounds like belittling of that opinion, to me.

You can't even remember 50 caches enough to write something unique? Get a pocket digital recorder, or use the voice recorder app on your smartphone if you use one. Or find fewer caches.

You cache the way you want, and I will cache the way I want.

Scubasonic

I would be a little upset to find my private communication posted in a public forum. I guess the staff should always be aware that it might happen though. I'm pretty sure Brad would probably have worded his email slightly different though if he knew you were going to post it.

I believe I saw a post by someone on staff that blank logs were ok. I think the iPhone app actually allows them to be posted.

Sincerely,

-Brad

Signal's Apprentice

Brad Webb

www.Groundspeak.com

Scubasonic

Scubasonic

I do, and so you do. I'm just calling you out on your excuse for C&P logs, not how you cache. If you can't remember, there are ways to remember.

I would be a little upset to find my private communication posted in a public forum. I guess the staff should always be aware that it might happen though. I'm pretty sure Brad would probably have worded his email slightly different though if he knew you were going to post it.

I believe I saw a post by someone on staff that blank logs were ok. I think the iPhone app actually allows them to be posted.

I do not know Brad but if it was me, I would not regret anything I said there. He was to the point and factual. He voiced his own opinion a tiny bit, but that is okay, we do not expect to talk with automatons.

Blank logs reek of boringness or copy and paste logs, but what can you do. Roll your eyes all you want, just set your own example.

I do not know Brad but if it was me, I would not regret anything I said there. He was to the point and factual. He voiced his own opinion a tiny bit, but that is okay, we do not expect to talk with automatons.

I've been misunderstood before so let me clarify. I am not saying there was anything wrong with Brad's email.

What would happen if I signed my name, made a bunch of copies, and then glued them in log books?
Those are called stickers, and are used often.

Perhaps it was a cut and paste email, since the OP probably isn't the first person to ask.

What would happen if I signed my name, made a bunch of copies, and then glued them in log books?

This has been done , there have been several "Labeled" Sigs that I have seen, as well as the ol' Biz Card Sig, what can be done, well nothing really.

Yep it is aggravating to get the ol' Blank log, but well I just have to say that is just the way it goes. I have just recently started C&P L's, after I JB'd the IP4, there was an app, that allows you to create tags" to be able to just paste on the fly. So I have populated that list with several "Found It Logs" and "a typical Frowney Log", saves time , but only uses it on the typical cache, the not so typicals get a fresh log!

Everyone plays it their way!

K

TY

Yawppy

Blank logs reek of boringness or copy and paste logs, but what can you do. Roll your eyes all you want, just set your own example.

I think that the staff of Groundspeak should always expect at the back of their mind that someone is going to share the official correspondence they give, it's a little different than a private conversation between two cachers, as far as I know.

As for signing your name and putting it in logbooks, a lot of people user stickers or stamps, so that's somewhat similar. As long as you leave your mark in the book, who cares?

As for blank logs, yes they are allowed; I don't like them, but I can't really do anything about them.

Sincerely,

-Brad

Signal's Apprentice

Brad Webb

www.Groundspeak.com

Scubasonic

Scubasonic

I do, and so you do. I'm just calling you out on your excuse for C&P logs, not how you cache. If you can't remember, there are ways to remember.

Well first off I would have to care what your opinion or suggestions are AND I DON'T.

SS

Sincerely,

-Brad

Signal's Apprentice

Brad Webb

www.Groundspeak.com

Scubasonic

Scubasonic

Well first off I would have to care what your opinion or suggestions are AND I DON'T.

SS

You're a great guy, SS. Love ya!!

Edited to add: Dissenting opinions are not necessarily posted for you to care about. Mine most assuredly wasn't.

Edited by knowschad

Pretty straightforward stuff here. The Groundspeak Lackey can "see the point" of us Puritan types who don't like cut and past logs, but we could never get away with deleting them (which I would never do, anyways). Now the massive influx of smartphone geocacher n00bs who log "TFTC" for every cache they find, I'm tempted to delete them. But that's a whole nuther thread. :ph34r:

I belong to several forums and I have to say this is the worst of the worst for "keyboard warriors". It seems that it doesn't matter what you say some "keyboard warrior" is going to tell you you are wrong and how much more wonderful his ideals are than yours. It's really a shame that this forum can't be more of the "hey, I can help you with that" instead of what it has become. I don't post much anymore because of the way most people on here reply. Makes me wonder how brave they would be face to face? Go ahead, blast away.

I belong to several forums and I have to say this is the worst of the worst for "keyboard warriors". It seems that it doesn't matter what you say some "keyboard warrior" is going to tell you you are wrong and how much more wonderful his ideals are than yours. It's really a shame that this forum can't be more of the "hey, I can help you with that" instead of what it has become. I don't post much anymore because of the way most people on here reply. Makes me wonder how brave they would be face to face? Go ahead, blast away.

By all means, please stick around and post the way you feel the posting should be done! I'm not sure who you are referring to, but I guess that doesn't really matter... the only way you will make it better is by doing it yourself. Please show us how it should be done!

Please show us how it should be done!

Apparently by telling us we are wrong and how much more wonderful his ideas are.

Oh, the irony...

My experience is that cachers generally post what was memorable about a cache when the log it. If the cache wasn't memorable and the owner gets a load of TFTC or copy and past logs maybe they should be looking at the cache and asking themselves why this is happening. Much better than demanding a unique log.

Personally, if I found a cache and the owner was demanding any such thing, I'd just move on without posting or post a log telling them why I struggled to remember their bland cache from the other bland caches of the day.

Place interesting caches if you want interesting logs. It's not rocket science.

Interesting ...

I was thinking how boring the TFTC entries were and hoping that our own cache would generate some more interesting comments ...

I toyed with the idea of adding this as a request on my listing but in the end I decided this was unfair.

I can see now that this was probably the right course of action - I am thinking of family groups with small children wandering around three or four caches, appreciating beautiful hidden spots, and having a picnic or two along the way ...

... and here I'm reading of 'express' cachers racing through 50 caches a day - in which case I can understand them writing TFTC to merely acknowledge their visit.

One of the caches we found had a tiny sticker in it giving a cacher's name and the flag of their country (different from the country the cache was in) and I thought that was rather nice. As we come from the British, (Dartmoor in Devon) tradition of letterboxing we carry inkstamps with which we sign the log, but we do write our membership name as well. Due to the finds being small ones with just a scroll of paper we have reserved our comments for the online log so that we don't use up too much space on the paper scroll.

Is this about 'right' ?

Helen (and the little squirrels)

I generally try to NOT do cut & paste logs and even when I do I try to make some sort of comment specific to that cache. HOWEVER, when I've done a big series of 50+ caches in a day and they are all the same bison tube hanging from the same spot then it becomes a blur and it's rough to remember anything specific about them. In that case I usually send the CO an email thanking them for all the hard work they did with the series and apologizing for the cut & paste logs. But that's just me...

Edited by Team Dennis

I like your post 100+. I feel the same way. :D

Interesting ...

I was thinking how boring the TFTC entries were and hoping that our own cache would generate some more interesting comments ...

I toyed with the idea of adding this as a request on my listing but in the end I decided this was unfair.

I can see now that this was probably the right course of action - I am thinking of family groups with small children wandering around three or four caches, appreciating beautiful hidden spots, and having a picnic or two along the way ...

... and here I'm reading of 'express' cachers racing through 50 caches a day - in which case I can understand them writing TFTC to merely acknowledge their visit.

One of the caches we found had a tiny sticker in it giving a cacher's name and the flag of their country (different from the country the cache was in) and I thought that was rather nice. As we come from the British, (Dartmoor in Devon) tradition of letterboxing we carry inkstamps with which we sign the log, but we do write our membership name as well. Due to the finds being small ones with just a scroll of paper we have reserved our comments for the online log so that we don't use up too much space on the paper scroll.

Is this about 'right' ?

Helen (and the little squirrels)

Yep, I think you have it right! :) You can't control the behavior of others, so don't drive yourself crazy trying. I don't write much in the paper log either; I write everything in the on-line log.

If you don't want Cut & Paste logs, don't place Cut & Paste caches...

:huh:

:rolleyes:

:lol:

"You cache the way you want, and I will cache the way I want."

Or, as a cache owner, if I have placed a variety of caches (which I have) and I still get a bunch of cut-n-paste logs, my choice in how I cache may be to stop placing caches for others to find. I'm just not that interested in providing another find for someone that obviously cares more about finding 80 caches in a day than thanking those that places caches for them to find.

Dear cachers,

Why the negative back and forth?

First: some people might not feel they have the talent to write something very meaningful or poetic or literary.

Second: some people may have difficulty writing (think rheumatoid arthritis, no hands, language difficulties, or any other of miriad of difficulties)

Third: if they post a sticker with their name, that's the same as writing (think: the person went to the trouble of making the stickers as much as others go throuth the trouble of carrying a pen with them)

I believe the fun in geocaching is in the search, the enjoyment of the outdoors, or the family adventures together. Thanking the cache owner is plain good manners and courtesy. If you don't have those, well, then maybe you might learn from reading other logs.

That's my grain of salt.

While I understand the official stance and I would never delete any cut and paste logs - I still find them lazy and disrespectful.

Seriously, look at the cache page and a map - if you can't remember anything about it a few hours later with the cache page and map as an aid, sounds like you wasted your own time. I suspect most such loggers are just far too interested in the smiley to worry about writing a few words - nothing to do with a poor memory.

Could it be that there are just too many caches?

When I was in college and eating Roman noodles, I really appreciated a good steak dinner. But now that I have a good job, we go out to eat a lot. While I still appreciate a really good steak dinner, I can't say I pay as much attention when dining out now because we dine out 4 or 5 times a week.

I guess what I am saying is that if there were less caches but they were higher quality and people didn't have access to 100 find runs, they might appreciate the caches they find more.

If you don't want Cut & Paste logs, don't place Cut & Paste caches...

:huh:

:rolleyes:

:lol:

Oh, believe me... it no longer takes a "cut & paste cache" to get cut & paste logs. Not even close!!

That is for sure! Recent logs on one of my hides:

April 23 "This is one of the best hides in one of the nicest locales I've ever found. Kudos to WRASTRO! Definitely will be tagged a fave. Thanks for the hide! SL."

April 19 "Thank you so much for re-enabling this. Not just panda's pleasure but a poppa pleasure to finally have this one. This one eluded me on multiple attempts (I checked and embarrassedly I admit I didn't post any DNFs). But on this majestic sunny day I finally found it. This is truly a splendid cache."

April 17 "I searched for two other types of hides before hitting on the right idea. Well done and TFTC!"

April 13 "TFTC"

Edited by WRASTRO

While I understand the official stance and I would never delete any cut and paste logs - I still find them lazy and disrespectful.

Seriously, look at the cache page and a map - if you can't remember anything about it a few hours later with the cache page and map as an aid, sounds like you wasted your own time. I suspect most such loggers are just far too interested in the smiley to worry about writing a few words - nothing to do with a poor memory.

GASP!! :o You can't mean...?:o How can I...? :o You expect me to...? :o OMG!!! :o This is going to take more than thirty seconds!!! I don't have that kind of time!!! If I am to find more than fifty roadside film cannisters in a day I can't be bothered with actually TYPING A RESPONSE!!!

This is going to totally detract from the amount of time I spend looking at my smilies on the map and feeling all warm and fuzzy over my accomplishments.

Geez, I might have to actually THANK someone??? Next thing you will expect me to actually OPEN the container and SIGN the log!!!!!! :blink: Where will it all end!!! Good grief!:mad:

Could it be that there are just too many caches?

I guess what I am saying is that if there were less caches but they were higher quality and people didn't have access to 100 find runs, they might appreciate the caches they find more.

So utopian :) unfortunately lpc's replicate like rats easy to find easy to hide easy to have muggles call in the bomb squad. I read 2 new news articles yesterday :angry: