Geocaching Responsibly

Citation?? Timeframe??

I've never known it to be a game of cloak and dagger.

No no, just cloak. :ph34r: For we are Caching Ninjas (I'm going to go try to buy that domain name now) Daggers are dangerous!

I really need to cut back on the soda pop during lunch.

Daggers don't dag people, people dag people.

I think trying to educate the locals on being responsible is great. But as a teacher I know the way you come at someone you're trying to educate is very important. Making someone feel dumb or irresponsible is not going to get great results.

I think those words describe (along with the phrase, "preachiness", which was used in another post) the less-than-enthusiastic response your website seems to be receiving here. Also that you make it sound as though you are a group (even to the point of calling it a "movement" in one of your posts), although from all we can tell, this group consists only of yourself. You are the only member on the forum.

I only point this out because you may want to consider working on your approach, since you seem to be alienating people, which is obviously not your intent.

Sad, The only thing I state about swag is that, As being a perpaired cacher you being swag as part of your repair items. the swag is for the children. Remeber this is a family sport and children enjoy finding trinkets.

I hate to be the grammar police. (OK, I lied. I like being the grammar police.) If you want people to take you, and your web site, seriously, you really need to run your stuff through a spelling/grammar checker before you publish it.

Um, I know what swag is, thanks. I can't endorse a site that places importance on it like yours does.

Sorry, lost me at swag.

SWAG stands for:

S-stuff

W-we

A-all

G-get

that inculdes but not limited to childrens toys

Sad, The only thing I state about swag is that, As being a perpaired cacher you being swag as part of your repair items. the swag is for the children. Remeber this is a family sport and children enjoy finding trinkets.

As being a prepaired (sic) cacher, I bring my GPSr and a pen. Everything else is optional. And who the heck ever declared that swag is for children? Buddy, you have a LOT to learn before you become a self-appointed cache crusader.

Edited by Semper Questio

Very true! SWAG is not just for children. I know many adults who love SWAG. Honestly, I think there are a greater proportion (at least in my experience going to events and such) of folks without children who geocache as oppposed to those with, and I see a lot of SWAG... so someone must be trading, and it isn't just kiddos.

Sorry, lost me at swag.

SWAG stands for:

S-stuff

W-we

A-all

G-get

Actually, nobody seems to know what the term SWAG stands for. That, along with many other guesses, seem to be merely apocryphal. Here are some other "guesses" that I found on another site:

First I heard a radio talk-jock claim that SWAG (a term for promotional items given away at trade shows, rock concerts, etc.) was originally an acronym used in police reports, “Stolen without a gun.” I was dubious. Searching for “swag acronym” with Google, I found several competing explanations on various blogs and message boards, making me even more dubious. Other alleged derivations:

Sealed With A Gift

s*** We Ain’t Getting

Something We All Get

Souvenirs, Wearables, and Gifts

Stolen while at Gig

Stolen without a Gun

Stuff We Acquired Gratis

Stuff We All Get

Sorry, lost me at swag.

SWAG stands for:

S-stuff

W-we

A-all

G-get

Actually, nobody seems to know what the term SWAG stands for. That, along with many other guesses, seem to be merely apocryphal. Here are some other "guesses" that I found on another site:

First I heard a radio talk-jock claim that SWAG (a term for promotional items given away at trade shows, rock concerts, etc.) was originally an acronym used in police reports, “Stolen without a gun.” I was dubious. Searching for “swag acronym” with Google, I found several competing explanations on various blogs and message boards, making me even more dubious. Other alleged derivations:

Sealed With A Gift

s*** We Ain’t Getting

Something We All Get

Souvenirs, Wearables, and Gifts

Stolen while at Gig

Stolen without a Gun

Stuff We Acquired Gratis

Stuff We All Get

When I was in the Corps we used it to mean a Scientific Wild-a**ed Guess

I'm familiar with that meaning from working in the software industry.

FWIW, "swag" has been used to mean "loot" for at least a couple centuries, with no acronym involved.

I'm familiar with that meaning from working in the software industry.

FWIW, "swag" has been used to mean "loot" for at least a couple centuries, with no acronym involved.

My engineer dad says it means "silly wild a** guess" Those crazy kids.

Very true! SWAG is not just for children. I know many adults who love SWAG. Honestly, I think there are a greater proportion (at least in my experience going to events and such) of folks without children who geocache as oppposed to those with, and I see a lot of SWAG... so someone must be trading, and it isn't just kiddos.

I totally love noodling around with swag and leave stuff in caches when I can fit stuff in caches. But it's not the be all end all for me more like the sprinkles on the frosting.

That being said as an adult I totally love some of the kid items in swag (little tiny plastic animals for example). And I have a myriad of other kid stuff. Not that I don't like the adult stuff. Traded for some of that as well but I have an affinity toward the toys. Oh and sig items.

The poorly-punctuated wall of text on your homepage seems to advocate some sort of environmental responsibility, but cramming geocaches full of cheap plastic trinkets is hardly good for the environment. Get serious - if you expect to find shiny new things in every geocache you find, stop trying to frame it as some "responsibility" thing.

And don't lecture me about this being a "family" game. I have been bringing my child geocaching with me since he was still in utero, and he doesn't need cheap toys to stay interested.

Try finding a few hundred more caches and see how enthusiastic you are about dropping $5 worth of dollar store junk into every cache you find.

The poorly-punctuated wall of text on your homepage seems to advocate some sort of environmental responsibility, but cramming geocaches full of cheap plastic trinkets is hardly good for the environment. Get serious - if you expect to find shiny new things in every geocache you find, stop trying to frame it as some "responsibility" thing.

And don't lecture me about this being a "family" game. I have been bringing my child geocaching with me since he was still in utero, and he doesn't need cheap toys to stay interested.

Try finding a few hundred more caches and see how enthusiastic you are about dropping $5 worth of dollar store junk into every cache you find.

Wow!! You sure don't believe in sugar-coating your opinions, do you?:unsure:

While there may be some important presentation issues, I think that we can agree that the OP is not exactly trying to be a Force for Evil here. Think maybe you can find some positive things to add to the mix?

Edited by knowschad

While there may be some important presentation issues, I think that we can agree that the OP is not exactly trying to be a Force for Evil here. Think maybe you can find some positive things to add to the mix?

I see nothing positive in cherry-picking and misinterpreting a small handful of game elements, and then mashing them together in such a misleading way.

I see nothing positive in cherry-picking and misinterpreting a small handful of game elements, and then mashing them together in such a misleading way.

How about something like "you are preaching to the choir but you have some good ideas. Keep working on them and learning from the community so you can evolve your site into something educational and informative for the community."

How about something like "you are preaching to the choir but you have some good ideas. Keep working on them and learning from the community so you can evolve your site into something educational and informative for the community."

It would be totally insincere for me to say anything like that. There are no good ideas there, and the site is totally redundant.

Everyone has their own ideas and ways of doing things.

I have said my 2 cents.

Geocache - Responsibly is my way of informing the geocacher and muggle populations that the game is here and there are State and Federal laws governing the sport along with the rules/guidelines as described on Geocaching.com.

Groundspeak, Lackeys, and Reviewers are free of most any punishment set forth by any governing body due to the fact that while processing your geocache placement you (cache owner) check the two boxes stating that you have proper approvel and the geocache is within all Geocaching.com, State and Federal laws/rules/guidelines.

Yes, that is obvious. I am suggesting that you try.

It would be totally insincere for me to say anything like that. There are no good ideas there, and the site is totally redundant.

There is noone forcing you to view my website nor continue on this thread.

Baby > bathwater.

How about suggesting some of what you consider to be good ideas and help with what you see as redundancy?

Baby > bathwater.

How about suggesting some of what you consider to be good ideas and help with what you see as redundancy?

Why? We have a perfectly comprehensive set of guidelines right here on this site.

Everyone has their own ideas and ways of doing things.

I have said my 2 cents.

Geocache - Responsibly is my way of informing the geocacher and muggle populations that the game is here and there are State and Federal laws governing the sport along with the rules/guidelines as described on Geocaching.com.

Groundspeak, Lackeys, and Reviewers are free of most any punishment set forth by any governing body due to the fact that while processing your geocache placement you (cache owner) check the two boxes stating that you have proper approvel and the geocache is within all Geocaching.com, State and Federal laws/rules/guidelines.

I'll be one of the small handful here. I didn't have time to go through your entire site and pick it apart. I don't have any desire to.

What I want to do is say thank you for contributing positively to geocaching community and creating a welcoming place for the new geocacher. I'm sure as time goes on you'll fluff it out and fix whatever little errors there are and I'm quite sure you will likely seek input from more experience people. Great suggestions from the people who gave them.

But at the most basic thanks for doing something good for us and putting a good face out there that welcomes. It's nice to see for a change.

Baby > bathwater.

Why? We have a perfectly comprehensive set of guidelines right here on this site.

And the guidelines are perfect and absolutely comprehensive, governing every possible issue that might arise? If that was indeed the case we would not be having this discussion.

Baby > bathwater.

Oh. OK. I see. I have a perfectly good home, a perfectly good car, I'm making enough money to get by. And we have a perfectly comprehensive set of guidelines right here on this site.

The OP is NOT trying to undermine geocaching. He is NOT Evil Personified. Relax. His site is not going to ruin geocaching for you or for anybody else. If you're not interested in what he is trying to offer, fine. But don't beat the guy up over it.

The OP is NOT trying to undermine geocaching.

I am not convinced of this statement.

OH COME ON!!! Provide some evidence, then!! :mad: Geeze, you can be negative sometimes!!

Indeed. :mad:

On another note, isn't it interesting that this initiative is coming from Texas? :ph34r:*

*This would be a good spot for the can of worms emoticon.

Edited by narcissa

OH COME ON!!! Provide some evidence, then!! :mad: Geeze, you can be negative sometimes!!

On another note, isn't it interesting that this initiative is coming from Texas? :ph34r:*

Yes, one would have thought it would be coming from Ontario.

Now, now narcissa. Don't indict all Texans. I, for one, believe this fella has more than 1 hitch in his giddyup. :laughing:

While I appreciate knowschad's attempts to be positive in this thread, I have to agree with Narcissa. The OP's website is preachy, leaves a bad impression, and is likely to do more harm than good.

And the fact that he's an individual (and rather inexperienced) average Joe player, working alone rather than within the confines of well-established Geocaching Organizations, makes the preachiness seem even preachier. To me, at least.

Buy what I really want to know is why Narcissa finds it interesting this initiative is coming from Texas. :huh:

But what I really want to know is why Narcissa finds it interesting this initiative is coming from Texas. :huh:

Perhaps it is because Narcissa exchanged heated words with someone from Texas in the past. However, I think Narcissa had exchanged heated words with someone from just about every state of the union, and many other countries in addition.

Narcissa you make a really good point here. There are a lot of people who share your sentiment I think. I do like to add swag to caches, but not to every one that it will fit into, I make informed decisions based on the amount of traffic, the container's integrity, where the cache is placed. I think that good caches deserve good swag, but otherwise I am NOT enthusiastic about spending my hard earned money on throwing swag in every single cache.

And I agree with you that it is NOT my responsibility as a cacher to put swag in caches. It is my CHOICE, and definitely not required.

Wow!! You sure don't believe in sugar-coating your opinions, do you?:unsure:

I personally find the OP to be well intentioned, but I don't find that his site is necessary, especially with the guidelines here on gc.com and the cacher's creed, etc.

Maybe turn your site into some sort of place where cachers who DO bring positive aspects to the game can get a pat on the back, maybe feature a cacher of the month or something like that who leads by example, interview that person and post their opinions on what being a 'model cacher' means to them. That seems like a unique helpful idea to me, and then you get a lot of different opinions, people can get to know each other, and then it's not just the opinions of one person.

OR you could start a blog instead where you share your stories of what you have done to make caching better in your area. Sharing stories is usually not looked at as being as preachy as just using a website as a soapbox, because that's what it looks like, even though I know that your intentions are completely good.

Hope that helps.

Well, if one is looking for an honest opinion, then ok. But if one only wants to be lauded for starting a website...meh.

The homepage is poorly written. It may be old-fashioned, but in my opinion, poor spelling, grammar and sentence structure severely limits how seriously I will take the message.

The only other truly useful page is nothing more than links back to Groundspeak pages.

Oh, and the thing that put me right off was the incredibly rude "mission statement" on the first page:

This website (www.geocacheresponsibly.info) was designed for the purpose of informing new geocachers that you are not alone. We can repair the damage caused by lazy veteran Geocachers.

Is this supposed to serve as an invitation to "positive" input?

This website (www.geocacheresponsibly.info) was designed for the purpose of informing new geocachers that you are not alone. We can repair the damage caused by lazy veteran Geocachers.

Is this supposed to serve as an invitation to "positive" input?

I missed that one - perhaps because I was more interested in the links to the national forest policy. Its probably a mistake to couch it in those terms.

Some people would consider me a "veteran." I admit that it has taken me a bit longer than I anticipated to replace some caches that I temporary disabled -- and there are some caches I have been meaning to check on when time and the weather allow for a hike up the ridge -- so perhaps I am a bit lazy. But my caches are stocked with swag when they are placed. I know the rules for our area better than some. I take precautions to limit the spread Sudden Oak Death and am concerned about the environmental impact of our game. And I would like to think that experience counts for a little.

I have seen new cachers place containers in areas that has been damaged as a result, hide them on NPS land, use containers that have fallen apart with the first rain, not take the time to make sure their coordinates are as accurate as possible, fail to close the containers properly, ignore the State Park rules, and leave the game after three months. I expect a learning curve, and have seen even a veteran or two do some of these things. So it is not an "us" against "them" or a "new" versus "old" type of situation.

I do not mind being reminded to cache responsibly. I think it is good to inform yourself about the local rules. But watch the rhetoric if you want to win friends and influence people. I would probably say that the site was designed to help people consider what responsible caching might entail and to know the local rules -- and leave it at that.

Edited by mulvaney
But what I really want to know is why Narcissa finds it interesting this initiative is coming from Texas. :huh:

Perhaps it is because Narcissa exchanged heated words with someone from Texas in the past. However, I think Narcissa had exchanged heated words with someone from just about every state of the union, and many other countries in addition.

I've noticed a correlation between "Texas" and "complaints about geolitter." Remember, Texas only has one reviewer - Ontario and Quebec, which are approx. equivalent in population to Texas, have SEVEN between them.