Each stage of a multi should be a 'find.'

ATXTracker

This will be a controversial idea, because it is a change, but I think multicache finds should be tracked per stage. There should be software support on the site and in the aps for logging each stage of a multi, so that others can see logs for each stage, and so the owner can get feedback on the health of each stage. Each stage should count as a find and a smiley should be awarded per stage. This could be changed going forward, or even retroactively for cache owners who provide the needed information for their multis.

Some cache owners are already doing this by allowing finders to log multiple finds for the multi.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1485793-multicache-finds-should-be-logged-for-each-stage-a

Ummm - no thanks. I don't like the idea and it has been brought up a few times before.

Multi's are just another kind of cache. Singular in nature - just more steps to complete. Some have physical stages to sign, many have just virtual stages to gather information.

Since stages of a multi have no distance restrictions - you could lay a cache out every 10 feet over a 1000 foot walk and rack up 100 smilies in 30 minutes. No thanks.

Multicache-you keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :laughing:

One cache listing=one smiley is fine by me, with a few exceptions. Some days I like doing complex multis, and don't really care about how many smilies are involved. (Some of my favorite caching experiences of all time are in this group.) Some days I am happy finding a bunch of caches to get a bunch of smilies. And other days I bang my head against the wall trying to solve a puzzle or find a really tough hide, and not getting any smileys at all.

I think the CO's who are already allowing a smiley/stage are cheapening the experience of finding their multi.

This wrongly assumes that all multi-caches consist of multiple containers. In fact, the multi-cache type encompasses a broad variety of caches with multiple waypoints. In some cases, the waypoints are containers, but in many cases the additional waypoints are tags, signs, monuments, buildings, etc. Multi-caches are not always linear in nature either - some multi-caches involve calculations, puzzle solving, trickery, or guesswork.

If you're the sort of cacher who sees the find count as a competitive score, it is probably best to simply ignore this cache type. It is clear from your suggestion that you have a very narrow and limited understanding of multi-caches.

This will be a controversial idea, because it is a change, but I think multicache finds should be tracked per stage. There should be software support on the site and in the aps for logging each stage of a multi, so that others can see logs for each stage, and so the owner can get feedback on the health of each stage. Each stage should count as a find and a smiley should be awarded per stage. This could be changed going forward, or even retroactively for cache owners who provide the needed information for their multis.

Some cache owners are already doing this by allowing finders to log multiple finds for the multi.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/75775-geocaching-com/suggestions/1485793-multicache-finds-should-be-logged-for-each-stage-a

Thoroughly discussed very recently: Multicache

And, given GC's logging "guidelines" of signing a physical log (excluding virts, webcams and earthcaches) to claim a find, this idea is DOA

As for my opinion as a CO of several multi's : heck, no!! Find the final, sign the log, claim your find.

Ummm - no thanks. I don't like the idea and it has been brought up a few times before.

Multi's are just another kind of cache. Singular in nature - just more steps to complete. Some have physical stages to sign, many have just virtual stages to gather information.

Since stages of a multi have no distance restrictions - you could lay a cache out every 10 feet over a 1000 foot walk and rack up 100 smilies in 30 minutes. No thanks.

I agree with this. I highlighted part of Starbrands's post as to why I feel this way. With many multi's there is not a cache to find to get the next set of coordinates and according to what I understand from the guidelines, you cannot claim a find on a cache unless you sign the log. No log, no signature, no find.

There are many multi's that you must visit GZ to get coordinate's from a sign, can't write your name on the sign unless your putting your mark on it illegally. Then you might be sent to an area that has just a small plastic tab hidden between a crack in a wall, again no log to sign. These are just a couple of examples where there are no actual containers for each stage and therefore cannot have a log to sign.

Most people will generally let the cache owner know that they had an issue with a certain "stage", key wording here, of a multi in their log, a note, an email, or a NM log. A multi is a specific type of cache that has mutiple aspects to it. Part of doing the multi is finding the "hidden coordinates" to complete the find. If you make each stage an actual cache then the coordinates and the cache location might be revealed a lot easier to those searching for it.

I believe what you are suggesting is already out there in the form of a "Bonus Cache" where you find coordinates from individual caches to get you to the final "Bonus Cache" that have alternate coordinates listed.

Good luck in this endeavor but I hope it never it happens. There are many people out there that do not like to do multis because they can be time consuming and they feel that their time could be better spent finding 20 caches in a 3 hour period vs spending 3 or more hours on one specific cache. I find this funny because I read many logs about people spending hours "at home" trying to figure out a puzzle when they could have been out getting more finds or they will spend hours looking for an evil micro and visit that spot several times in trying to locate it but they won't spend the time to do a multi. :blink:

So my eight stage driving (with hike at the end) cache would be 8 finds. If someone tried that I would delete all additional logs (and that is a topic much discussed).

One GC number equal one find.

The voting over there is interesting. It has 10 votes. Probably 3 from him 3 from one who says he is supporting a friend plus 3 from a account with no finds. I suspect troll activity.

There is a comment by narcissa pointing to a topic with the same title that has many more responses (21 as opposed to 6) and only 2 positive votes which is in 907th place and is probably higher than it deserves.

Edited by Walts Hunting

I actually stop and think when I place a cache - is this something that should stay a multi or should I create the stages as individual caches and place a bonus that can only be found by finding all of the individuals? If I can do the latter, I typically do, as I know there are those around here who like the numbers, but if I make it a multi, there's a reason for it. I like things how they are. No thanks.

This will be a controversial idea, because it is a change, but I think multicache finds should be tracked per stage. There should be software support on the site and in the aps for logging each stage of a multi, so that others can see logs for each stage, and so the owner can get feedback on the health of each stage. Each stage should count as a find and a smiley should be awarded per stage.

Why do you like this idea? Give specific reasons.

More smileys might be a good thing -- it could get some more visitors to the multicaches.

Feedback on the health of each stage? Well, maybe. The current system lets people write whatever they want in the logs, so feedback certainly is not lacking today.

I think you need better reasons.

No Way - Hike, locate, solve, hike some more, locate, solve, hike some more, locate, solve, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. = one fine SMILEY, and lots of fun along the way.

No Way - Hike, locate, solve, hike some more, locate, solve, hike some more, locate, solve, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. = one fine SMILEY, and lots of fun along the way.

Well said!

YUP!

Multicache-you keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means. :laughing:

One cache listing=one smiley is fine by me, with a few exceptions. Some days I like doing complex multis, and don't really care about how many smilies are involved. (Some of my favorite caching experiences of all time are in this group.) Some days I am happy finding a bunch of caches to get a bunch of smilies. And other days I bang my head against the wall trying to solve a puzzle or find a really tough hide, and not getting any smileys at all.

I think the CO's who are already allowing a smiley/stage are cheapening the experience of finding their multi.

+1

I'm one of those that doesn't believe that 1 GC# necessarily equals 1 find. If a cache owner of a multi wants to let people log a find for each stage the system works fine as it is - if the cache owner allows it you can log a find for each stage. However, most multi-cache owners prefer to look at their cache as one cache that gets found only when the entire cache is completed (or at least when the final stage is found). And most multi-cache finders seem to look at multi-caches this way as well. It is only a minority of people who seem to think that you should get a find for each individual location where you had to find something. Feel free to keep track of this number and post it on your profile if you want. Don't look a the find count as a score. It really is just a count of the found logs you have entered on line that haven't been deleted. Cache owners have the ability to delete logs that are bogus, counterfeit, off-topic, or not within stated requirements. Perhaps some will feel that logging intermediate stages of a multi-cache is not within the state requirements or is off-topic and they will delete your log. So if you want to keep track of all the stages you have found you'll need to find another way to do it.

Wow, how cool that people care so much. Clearly I'll get out voted on this one, and that's fine; the way it should be even. I think some of the responses were a little less than friendly, but that's fine too. I am most surprised that everone is enjoying making assumptions about why I enjoy geocaching. I certainly don't do it to see how many 'points' I can rack up; but I do enjoy reaching a milestone here and there. If you re-read my post, my idea is not just about the smiley count, but rather the overall way we comment and log physical geocaching elements. By my understanding of the definition, multi's are about having multiple physical elements to seek and find (yes I know redirectors are not caches with logbooks), and I think they deserve their own logging.

Thanks for all the comments, I'd close the thread if I could. : )

I think some of the responses were a little less than friendly, but that's fine too.

You're right about the first part, but it is NOT fine for people to be unfriendly. Most of the responses managed to explain their views about multicaches without putting you down. Those who chose to make it personal really shouldn't be posting at all.
Thanks for all the comments, I'd close the thread if I could. : )

You're a good sport, so I am happy to accommodate your request.