Opinions please

EyeD10T

One of the caches that I have placed is a fairly easy to find nano. The log in the nano has a pin that makes it fairly easy to wind back up and return it to the cache. Today, someone posted the following note online:

"Quick find while shopping with my sisters and mom at The Christmas Tree Shop and Hallmark store. Didn't sign the log since I didn't want to wind it back up. Thanks for the find."

I dont want to be mean and delete the log, but I also dont want people to make a habit of not logging a find....to me...a find is not a find unless you sign the log.

I would like to hear some of your opinions on the matter and what you would do if it were your cache.

Thank you.

If it was mine I'd delete it too.

That being said I totally empathize with someone who doesn't want to roll one of those back up even if it has an attached rolling tool. I did one in the cold with numb fingers and shaking hands and it turned me off to the little buggers pretty much altogether (still stumble on them but don't get as excited about them).

If it was mine I'd delete it too.

That being said I totally empathize with someone who doesn't want to roll one of those back up even if it has an attached rolling tool. I did one in the cold with numb fingers and shaking hands and it turned me off to the little buggers pretty much altogether (still stumble on them but don't get as excited about them).

Yeah, nanos in the cold are rough. Even rolling up logs for film canisters is a pain.

My personal feeling is that geocaching sometimes involves toughing it out in rough circumstances. Whether the rough circumstance is a swarm of mosquitoes, wading through ice-cold water, or rolling up an itty bitty log, if you decide to turn back because it's too hard, don't claim a find.

Or, ya know, get someone with nimbler fingers to sign the log for you. Sheesh.

Proper procedure on logging requirements is whatever you want it to be as long as it complies with the guidelines, you own the cache. He didn't sign, you can delete the log. Personally, if I'm convinced the cacher was there and found the container, and there are extenuating circumstances, I'd be inclined to let it pass. Not wanting to re-roll the log doesn't fit as an extenuating circumstance in my view. I'm just wondering how he/she knows about rolling up the log if he/she didn't unroll it. Email them and ask them to return and sign the log, or you will have to delete their find.

I understand that a find is a signature on the log, but I wouldn't do anything. If someone feels that they found the cache then they found the cache. Personally I wouldn't log a find without signing the log, but that is me. I think that oftentimes we all get way too wrapped up in the competitive side of caching. As a cache owner I have to continually remind myself that everyone plays this game a little different.

It is a game. It is a nano. They tend to get filled up with initials unless someone fills up the logsheet by signing it in full, which is a worse sin - which I might be tempted to do if my log got deleted under these circumstances. I wouldn't worry about it but it is too bad the finder did not email you with the details and simply log it without an explanation.

Edited by mulvaney

My thoughts on this...

the cacher knew it was a micro so possibly is may be a nano. If the cacher does not like unrolling the log to sign, then cacher should not look for these.

If I was the CO, I would be sending an email asking them to describe the cache site,etc. Then after they reply, I would send email stating they can keep their smiley but please edit and take out that they did not sign the log (as I don't want others to think I will allow that).

I wouldn't delete without communication tho.

Your cache, your call, but understand that you have to live with the future ramifications of your decision.

Yeah, if you delete the log, future lazy cachers may ignore you caches. Gasp.

That is one outcome. Others include being labelled locally as a jerk, having your nano logs signed in 'long-hand', or having your caches routinely come up missing.

That is one outcome. Others include being labeled locally as a jerk, having your nano logs signed in 'long-hand', or having your caches routinely come up missing.

...which labels the other locals as jerks, but yeah, good point.

I agree with most of the posts here. You can delete the log if you want, but if you choose that, it's probably best to try communication first. I personally would just leave the log because I don't really care about it. I haven't checked my paper logs more than a time or two, but I've still come across a couple of iffy logs. But I figure it was just unnecessary stress if I started messing with it. If I had an urban hide that attracted lots of bogus logs, I'd probably feel differently, but as it is, I usually find it best for me (and the locals that I'll inevitably run into at the next event) to just let it be. That can be applied to a few things in life.

Your cache, your call, but understand that you have to live with the future ramifications of your decision.

That is one outcome. Others include being labelled locally as a jerk, having your nano logs signed in 'long-hand', or having your caches routinely come up missing.

Ha! So cachers are now too lazy to even sign logs, but not lazy enough to find a cache and muggle/destroy it...I guess they have their priorities in shape...

Pretty much sums a lot up now doesn't it?

Ha! So cachers are now too lazy to even sign logs, but not lazy enough to find a cache and muggle/destroy it...I guess they have their priorities in shape...

You forgot being labeled as a Puritan.

Thanks for the input all - some really good points here on both sides. The more I think of it the more I realize that its not really hurting anything either way. Its not a numbers game, I suppose and every cacher gets out of it what they want to. Who knows...maybe this person is on to something. We can all take lessons from this:

"...didnt feel like walking out to the cache, so didnt sign the log. Thanks for the hide!" :(

But seriously, the more I thought about it the more I realized that it wasnt the fact they didnt sign the log, it was that I just didnt want a slew of people thinking that I was okay with it and then deciding to log the find without bothering to even look for it - if that the case, then why bother hiding them in the first place.

I asked the person to remove that part of the log....they did... :(

Unless I had cause to believe that he didn't find the cache I'd roll my eyes and let it stay.

If he was a novice I might send him a nicely worded e-mail suggesting that other cache owners might not be as understanding.

sdarken likes this response. :(

The geocacher probably shouldn't have admitted to not signing the log but if you're not a forum regular you probably wouldn't realize how tough people can be on the principle that if you don't sign the log then it's not a find.

If it was me I'd just let it go but then again I find nanos annoying too.

It is a game. It is a nano. They tend to get filled up with initials unless someone fills up the logsheet by signing it in full, which is a worse sin - which I might be tempted to do if my log got deleted under these circumstances. I wouldn't worry about it but it is too bad the finder did not email you with the details and simply log it without an explanation.

This (above) says it all.

Would you have checked the physical log if they hadn't said anything?

Do you think you can actually decipher the scribble on one of those things?

You forgot being labeled as a Puritan.

I'm quite satisfied with that description.

Thanks for the input all - some really good points here on both sides. The more I think of it the more I realize that its not really hurting anything either way. Its not a numbers game, I suppose and every cacher gets out of it what they want to. Who knows...maybe this person is on to something. We can all take lessons from this:

"...didnt feel like walking out to the cache, so didnt sign the log. Thanks for the hide!" :(

But seriously, the more I thought about it the more I realized that it wasnt the fact they didnt sign the log, it was that I just didnt want a slew of people thinking that I was okay with it and then deciding to log the find without bothering to even look for it - if that the case, then why bother hiding them in the first place.

I asked the person to remove that part of the log....they did... ;)

Exactly. You don't want people thinking it's OK to not open your nano. And you don't want to delete a log. It gets ugly. Even when they're totally in the wrong. I have an Earthcache where I've received several find logs where people met absolutely none of the requirements. Every time I've deleted a log, they go bonkers. :(

I guess I'm also the only one nosey enough (or at least to admit it) to look at your caches and find this. Not a "lazy cacher" at all. A very casual relatively low find cacher who started way back in 2004. Anyways, you have an edited log that doesn't say they didn't feel like signing, and all is good.

Exactly. You don't want people thinking it's OK to not open your nano. And you don't want to delete a log. It gets ugly. Even when they're totally in the wrong. I have an Earthcache where I've received several find logs where people met absolutely none of the requirements. Every time I've deleted a log, they go bonkers. :(

I know of one.... haha I should have advised you to delete it. He turned to the darkside....

Haha...these forums are in NO WAY family friendly!!! They aren't even newbie friendly.

And rude? Do you read the forums here? Haha...thanks for the early morning laugh!

I'm in agreement with you 100% on this statement. I can think of much ruder things posted on these forums than the curse word you used.

Haha...these forums are in NO WAY family friendly!!! They aren't even newbie friendly.

And rude? Do you read the forums here? Haha...thanks for the early morning laugh!

I'm in agreement with you 100% on this statement. I can think of much ruder things posted on these forums than the curse word you used.

Thank you. I actually had to take a break from the forums for a while because of how rude the major players were. I mean, seriously, to call this a family forum is a JOKE.

Well, I'm at GZ of one cache and moving on to another, so off I go...(oh, btw, my previous post was edited by a moderator, but I'll go ahead and edit it myself, tyvm!)

Thank you. I actually had to take a break from the forums for a while because of how rude the major players were. I mean, seriously, to call this a family forum is a JOKE.

Well, I'm at GZ of one cache and moving on to another, so off I go...(oh, btw, my previous post was edited by a moderator, but I'll go ahead and edit it myself, tyvm!)

Just because you find others to be rude is no reason for you to purposely violate the forum guidelines.

Just because you find others to be rude is no reason for you to purposely violate the forum guidelines.

Ha! Pot, meet kettle.

Ha! Pot, meet kettle.

The mods are pretty good about letting me know if I've violated the forum guidelines. It is not a frequent occurance.

I have noticed, however, that there are some that miscategorize disagreement with animus. In my opinion, this says more about them than it does my posts.

Ha! Pot, meet kettle.

The mods are pretty good about letting me know if I've violated the forum guidelines. It is not a frequent occurance.

I have noticed, however, that there are some that miscategorize disagreement with animus. In my opinion, this says more about them than it does my posts.

REALLY?? Aren't you the one that provided me with my moniker of Overconfident Newb because my opinion differed from yours on safety around a railroad track?

In my opinion, you are in the top 5 rudest people on here. Sadly, having gotten caught up in the moment responding to your posts, I have probably gotten myself on that list too.