Debate: How do you chose caches?

Some people use the map to chose an area and pick them 1 by 1, some people use the list and pick the closest unfound ones, some use a PQ by picking an area and loading that PQ, and changing it evrey time they cache, and some use the same PQ of all the caches around them and pick different one's as there caching.

Witch do you perfer and why? I perfer the last one, because it requires the least amount of work, you can be out the door the moment you decide you want to cache.

I pick my caches in different ways. If I'm out noodling by myself I'll bring my phone with and with the app just look at the array of next nearest and pick one to do.

If I'm feeling a little more organized I'll look at a map and kind of plan a trip to pick up some ones. I figure if I'm going to have to drive 40 miles out into nothingness I want to at least get a couple.

I was out with a friend and I had a cache I really wanted ot find and then we decided to do a few more with the next nearest idea.

When I'm with my mom I cluster ones with easier terrain that I know she can do by looking at the map as well.

Since I have a bad aortic valve but no symptoms, my Cardiologist tells me to keep geocaching but to let my body guide what i do. So I use the Google-Geocaching Map to select what I think we can do. BTW I am 85 and the wife is 84. We do have to be careful.

I maintain a database of caches within 30 miles of home (about 6000). I map them in GoogleEarth and then choose an area that I want to go (There's about five primary cache rich areas). Then I look for any that were placed prior to starting caching in 2005 and make that my first target cache. Then it just whatever direction the wind send me after that.

Some people use the map to chose an area and pick them 1 by 1, some people use the list and pick the closest unfound ones, some use a PQ by picking an area and loading that PQ, and changing it evrey time they cache, and some use the same PQ of all the caches around them and pick different one's as there caching.

Witch do you perfer and why? I perfer the last one, because it requires the least amount of work, you can be out the door the moment you decide you want to cache.

Pick where i want to go. only use PQs for stats. load up to 5 and go.

I travel around alot for work and pleasure so usually want to search for caches in a specific area or en-route to somewhere.

I look at the map of the area I'm planning on caching in (and along the route) and click on any caches that look to be in the right area, if they look like fun I'll send the co-ords to my gps and make a note of any info I need.

I pick a direction on the compass from home and then use my PQ to find the closest to me. From there I use the mapping to pick a route so that I have the least bit of backtracking. Because I like being organized and am usually caching alone, I write out the route in my notebook.

Once on the road, I can bring up the next cache on my 'list' knowing that anything that's showing as closer is either a T5 (canoe/boat) or it's going in the wrong direction from where I want to go.

As to picking a direction, I think I'm going to make a 'spin the bottle' type thing with a spinner and the 8 points of the compass on it. It would solve a constant dilemna of me trying to make up my mind which direction I want to head.... :blink:

Using that information from a stale PQ (2 -3 weeks old) is going to cause you disappointment. In that amount of time, there will be caches archived as well as new caches placed in busier locations.

Sure, it causes you work (if that's what you wanna call it), but remember what your mama or daddy told you some time ago -- You only get out of something what you put into it. :blink:

I print all the caches I want to find out. Then when I go, I look the cache up to see what the recent activity is, if any. Then I take that print out with me when I go. I always carry the print out and read the coordinates on my receiver rather than load them in and trust an arrow. I find this way much more accurate.

I take "Search for nearest geocaches" and "Filter out finds".

Then i send page 1-3 (something like that) to my gps and sometimes i choose only traditional caches for example.

I also use GoogleEarth to see caches for a special area im going to, and then i take some caches from there and send them to my gps from the geocaching site.

Edited by linus84

Most of my cache seeking is due to word of mouth promotions. Someone with a caching aesthetic similar to mine will mention they did a cache and loved it, and that one goes on my radar. Also, I've come to know which locals hide the types of caches I enjoy the most. When I see a new cache by one of them, I start making travel plans.

I have a PQ 1k that covers my main caching area. I load that into GSAk and then into Google Earth. The night before caching I usually look at that and pick a general area that's saturated and plan a route. I write down the abbreviated name on a note card to keep me on my route.

The only time I don't plan on advance is if I see a new cache pop up and go after FTF.

I'm a very organized person, plus this is not a cache rich area so I try to get the most of every run.

I'n not into numbers, so I am particular.

First, I check the map for caches in an area that I am visiting to see what is available.

Second, I check the map to try to figure out where they are, parks and open areas are good, if they are in highly developed areas (parking lots, strip malls, businesses, etc.) I give them a pass.

Third, I check the cache page, to see if it has been found recently, as opposed to a chain of dnfs indicating that it is likely not there. Comments by others are often a good indicator as to whether it is worth the effort.

My preference is fo caches that involve a nice walk in a pleasant or interesting area, and I am content just to find the cache as a sort of icing on the cake. I've reached the point, where the numbers mean nothing to me, so if I see that a cache that is likely a LPC or magnetic key holder, I will not bother even getting out of the car.

That is my preference, and to each his own.

First I like to look at the map and see places I haven't been. Then I look at cache descriptions that seem to have interesting historical and or natural value. But sometimes I just load up a bunch in a given area to grab on lunch hour or while I am out driving as a way to break up the time.

For me, I run PQs with a terrain rating of 2 or higher, and ignore the rest. I prefer caches that have multiple favorite bookmarks, and large photo galleries. I also prefer caches that don't involve guardrails, lamp post skirts, or electrical equipment. Scenery, history lessons, and great hikes, appeal most to me.

Recipe for fun Share your techniques for avoiding caches you dislike.

Edited by Kit Fox

It depends on what I'm doing at the time.

If I'm traveling somewhere, I'll scan the map and pick caches along the way to break up the trip. I may try to space them out an hour or 2 apart, for example, or look for a cluster of caches located fairly close together.

If I'm just out to burn a few hours on a Saturday morning, I'll look for clusters of those I haven't found yet, and print the listing sheet and load 'em by hand into the Garmin. No, I haven't gone paperless yet.

I do like finding the older caches, so I occasionally make a pilgrimage to find some of the oldest ones in the state. On those occasions, I'll look for some along the way and back. I might do this to find a newer cache, if the listings and reports make it sound like it's something unique and different and interesting. I combined this with one above, and spent 3 hours detouring off the New York Throughway to find The Spot. It was worth every minute of the extra time it took.

I have been riding my 10-speed a lot this spring, and will be through the summer. I'm training for a long ride in the fall, so I've combined the rides and caching, and I start planning rides to take me by caches I haven't found yet. I got 2 yesterday this way.

On most of these, I'll check the listing, the online maps, etc before I go. If I suspect it's a LPC, yet another nano like a bison tube, or something hidden on a busy street corner, I'll usually skip it entirely. I'm tired of getting to GZ and having to dig around forever for those thumb-nail-sized magnetic nanos, only to have to cramp my hands up trying to write on a sliver of paper. I'd much rather tromp off through the woods for an ammo can, thank you!

Around home, I look for caches in parks, preferably with a hike.

When vacationing, I look for ones in interesting areas, again preferably with a hike.

I think it comes down to this: the less time I'm in the car, the better. I've been knocking off a bunch of park-and-grabs in my area but traveling to them from home by bike. The mode of transportation alone makes them 100x more fun.

Generally I'm an "area" cacher. I'll decide the area I want to go and then run a PQ for that area and pick the caches I want to find individually. I look for things like DNFs and things like that. If a 1/1 has a bunch of DNFs, I'll skip it because it's probably missing. If it's a 4/1.5 and has a lot of DNFs, I'll probably try it because it's most likely there but difficult.

I'll usually load all the caches in the area in case I want to add some or remove some when I get there depending on how I feel and how time is going.

I try to find the nearest caches around my home town. No matter in which order. Of course I try to have FTFs, but I do not always jump up if a new cache gets published.

I am relly ill at the moment and I can't go on grand caching tours. But if we plan a daytrip every two weeks, we usually chose the destination according to the amount of caches hidden :P

We do not live near big cities, so we do not have so many caches around us. The next city with loads of caches is Vienna, but I do not really like city-caching.

We prefer caching in the woods and on the mountains.

I open the satellite image of an area and drag it around looking for an interesting chunk of woodland that I want to explore. I then may add other nearby caches to fill out the time I have available that day. For each cache I zoom in as far as possible on the map and take a screen shot of the immediate area. I then zoom back out and take another shot showing all the caches on that particular hike. I used to print out cache pages, but when the maps were changed in the last update I stopped doing that.