Help hiding a "large" cache

I have aquired a large waterproof container that woud be ideal to use as a cache. It is the equivelent of a 5 gallon bucket size. I am having a hard time with ideas about how to hide it. I really dont have any examples to work from cause it seems like 90% of the caches in my area are micros, or micros listed as small. I havent ever found a large cache since there are few to none around and that is why I am wanting to hide this one. To those of you who have either hid or found "large" caches, what are some good ideas? Thanks for your help.

I have aquired a large waterproof container that woud be ideal to use as a cache. It is the equivelent of a 5 gallon bucket size. I am having a hard time with ideas about how to hide it. I really dont have any examples to work from cause it seems like 90% of the caches in my area are micros, or micros listed as small. I havent ever found a large cache since there are few to none around and that is why I am wanting to hide this one. To those of you who have either hid or found "large" caches, what are some good ideas? Thanks for your help.

I have one out there that's roughly the same size.

I found a place where there was a disintigrating tree next to a hillside. Part of the tree (that was once hollow) had calved off and left a 4 foot long section that was perfect for hiding the cache. I just put the cache between a huge tree root and the hillside and put the piece of tree over it.

It doesn't hurt that I put 80lbs of concrete IN the cache container to help it stay put.

We, too have hidden several that size.

We have camoed taped them - hunting or sporting goods sections of stores, used camo paint (no shine) or sprayed fake stone effect on them. Whatever works to help them blend in. Our avatar picture is my husband with a locknlock on his head. You can see the actual picture at our Pan-Saskatchewan Challenge - GC1JA7R, it gives a good idea of its size and how it will blend in.

Also look up the Cool Cache Containers topic, there are many, many examples.

You will need larger hosts to hide the cache under/in - fallen tree trunks, tree stumps, rocks, caves and some that were way up a tree! Just remember that it will be easier to spot in the fall and spring when the natural camo has died down. So we hide them away from areas where there are lots of muggles.

Thanks for creating and hiding a great cache for your fellow geocacher to find!

Edited by mwellman

Your best bet is to find a place that's off-trail and remote, or just difficult to get to. Just keep it in mind while you continue with your geocaching adventures, and eventually you'll find the right spot.

There's a large cache hidden near me. It's in a wooded area between a roadway and the transitway (dedicated bus roadway). It's not off limits to the public, but it's just thick brush and a little tricky to get to, so the cache has been there for years without problems.

The other large cache I know of around here is hidden in a very large pine tree in front of a fire station in a residential neighbourhood. The firefighters know it's there.

I'm running into the same kind of thing...would like to be able to have this not too far from my home or office so I don't groan everytime it needs maintenance....but the size of it has me scratching my head as it is about 38" long and h/w that is typical of an ammo can. I already have a wonderful cammo paint job on it, but I've yet to find a place where I'd have a chance of fitting it in AND being able to get permission to put it there!

Oh...and I happen to have three of these beasts!

Edited by drdan01

I've hidden a couple of caches of that size; one is No Trade Cache GC1VKG4, the other is No Trades Cache 2 GC1W53V. In both instances I wasn't concerned about them being well hidden; to the contrary, I wanted them to be easily found. However, as some others have suggested, if you really want to have it 'hidden' well, then just find a good rocky area or one with lots of downed trees and you should have no trouble 'building' a cache site out of what is at hand. With those types of materials you can make it as difficult or as easy as you wish for seekers to find your cache. In a moderately heavy muggle area I would stick to a smaller type cache to minimize the disappearance of your cache before it has a very long life. Good luck and a pic of your results would be great, as long as it doesn't give the location away.

I've hidden a couple of caches of that size; one is No Trade Cache GC1VKG4, the other is No Trades Cache 2 GC1W53V. In both instances I wasn't concerned about them being well hidden; to the contrary, I wanted them to be easily found. However, as some others have suggested, if you really want to have it 'hidden' well, then just find a good rocky area or one with lots of downed trees and you should have no trouble 'building' a cache site out of what is at hand. With those types of materials you can make it as difficult or as easy as you wish for seekers to find your cache. In a moderately heavy muggle area I would stick to a smaller type cache to minimize the disappearance of your cache before it has a very long life. Good luck and a pic of your results would be great, as long as it doesn't give the location away.
I have one that is a 30 gallon Rubbermaid storage container. You would expect that it would have to be hidden far from civilization, but surprisingly, it isn't. In fact, it is in view of a skateboard half-pipe and only camo'd with a pile of sticks. The secret though, if there is one, is that it is small patch of woods that nobody (except cachers) ever walks into. It has been in place for almost four years now.

Here is one you can put right in a front yard or on a sidewalk if in the city. Take a huge flower pot container that the 5 gallon container fits in. Cut a pc of styrfoam big enough to cover the pot opening and fill it up by pushing artificial flowers in it. Make a rope handle in the center so that the styro foam can be lifted out to get to the 5 gallon container. People think it is just a big flower pot.

The only "large" size cache I've found was hidden in a hollow redwood stump. The stump was downhill from a hiking trail, so the top of the hole was even with the trail. The cache was lowered into the hollow stump, and then covered with leaves, twigs, branches, etc.

first, get a shovel...

thats what i did, i buried mine 98%, its a large ice cooler, so that only the lid is above ground, then put rocks on the lid to keep it shut, then covered everything with sticks and palm leaves. its very large, and full of goodies, its just not published yet, but almost.

It's against the guidelines to bury caches. Do not do this!!

Best of luck hiding your large cache! We have one of about the same size, it's so much fun for kids to find it I think. :)

I would suggest putting your large cache somewhere somewhat remote to lessen the amount of possible muggle activity. I think that thick trees, or large rock outcroppings are good for hiding large caches. Good cammo is a must, I think that with a large you can get really creative.

How fun :D

uhmm if that statement was directed twards me i know its against the rules to bury caches, i burried mine most of the way, but the cacher looking for mine only has to uncover debris off of the lid which is not burried to get inside the container. it is not fully submerged in mother earth.

unless you consider burying caches under debris that is easily uncovered such as sticks stones and leaves being completely burried, even though the lid is still easily seen,

would submerging a cache under water be considered burying it? how about planting one inside of a cave or insude a lamp post skirt as it would now be completely hidden inside of something else, placing a cache inside a very thick bush would be burying it, inside a building would be burying it, in a tree, in a rock, etc etc etc.

what are your thoughts,

cue hateful statements which have nothing to do with the op's topic, but rather with me being banned because i supposedly have a bad additive, and / or statements that tell me to find a new game because this one is obviously not for me since i dont know how to ignore caches I dont like.

uhmm if that statement was directed twards me i know its against the rules to bury caches, i burried mine most of the way...

You know it's against the guidelines and did it anyways. Need anymore be said?

hmmm did you not read the part where i said i did not bury it all the way therefore it is not technically buried?

uhmm if that statement was directed twards me i know its against the rules to bury caches, i burried mine most of the way...

hmmm did you not read the part where i said i did not bury it all the way therefore it is not technically buried?

You buried it. That's against the rules, even if you only buried it a little bit.

One of my favorite caches is a 5-gallon bucket buried with just the lid exposed. But it was placed in 2000, the rules were different then. And the cache owner also owns the property where it's placed.

It sounds like you did what he did. But you can't do that.

If you have to dig a hole in the ground to place the cache, it is considered 'buried' according to the guidelines. What you did is against the rules, I'm sorry to tell you that. It's not because anyone hates you, it's just the truth unfortunately. And for the record, I don't hate you, I just don't appreciate your attitude in many of your posts.

I don't even know you; you could be a really nice person in 'real life.' As a person who appreciates trash to treasure/ repurposing and recycling objects, I can tell you we at least have that in common; so we'd probably get along in many ways.

I said what I said so that the OP would not be inspired to bury her cache, since she is a new cache hider. She comes on a lot to get advice on the forums. Fortunately, it seems as though she listens to advice given to her. :)

Did you dig a hole to put the container in?

So if someone stabs you but only sticks the knife in part of the way, did they still not stab you technically?

:):D

I'm really not trying to pick on you. I have nothing against you. As someone else said, I don't even know you.

Sorry if it seems as though that's the case.

Keep us informed. If it gets approved I am sure we will all apologize for doubting you.

would submerging a cache under water be considered burying it? how about planting one inside of a cave or insude a lamp post skirt as it would now be completely hidden inside of something else, placing a cache inside a very thick bush would be burying it, inside a building would be burying it, in a tree, in a rock, etc etc etc.
The guidelines are fairly specific about what is considered buried and is thus prohibited: "If a shovel, trowel or other 'pointy' object is used to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache, then it is not appropriate."

Here is one you can put right in a front yard or on a sidewalk if in the city. Take a huge flower pot container that the 5 gallon container fits in. Cut a pc of styrfoam big enough to cover the pot opening and fill it up by pushing artificial flowers in it. Make a rope handle in the center so that the styro foam can be lifted out to get to the 5 gallon container. People think it is just a big flower pot.

Hey thats neat! hehe can be done with a planter too hmmmm thanks! i would love to hide one on my property..

Edited by chai_latte

Hey thats neat! hehe can be done with a planter too hmmmm thanks! i would love to hide one on my property..

Oh my gosh. I LOVE this!!

stupid question:

WHY can't you bury most of a cache and have it listed? I mean, on your own property.

Its not something I could even do if I wanted to but I'm really curious

it's probably fine on your own property, if you can prove that to the reviewer. but don't take my word for it.

thats what i did, i buried mine 98%, its a large ice cooler, so that only the lid is above ground, then put rocks on the lid to keep it shut, then covered everything with sticks and palm leaves. its very large, and full of goodies, its just not published yet, but almost.

Sorry, it won't be published. That is a guideline violation.

stupid question:

WHY can't you bury most of a cache and have it listed? I mean, on your own property.

You could probably do it if it is on your own property, but it is a bad idea. Geocaching has a lot of monkey see, monkey do. Someone is likely to find it, think it's a grand idea, not get the distinction that it is on your property and do the same thing in a nearby park.

stupid question:

You could probably do it if it is on your own property, but it is a bad idea. Geocaching has a lot of monkey see, monkey do. Someone is likely to find it, think it's a grand idea, not get the distinction that it is on your property and do the same thing in a nearby park.

Exactly why I wouldn't do it. People are more likely to look at a cache that they find and say "I want to do that" rather than read the guidelines before placing.

That being said, I have found several caches in front of people's houses that are buried. But I certainly don't advocate it. I think it's a destructive way to hide caches myself.

Even if it *were* okay, it doesn't jive with "Leave no Trace", and just gives the super-environmentalist types more fodder against caching.

my cache is not buried, its sunk most of the way in the ground, but does not require a shovel to get to it, or inside of it. im not sure if someone from these forums reported this disinformation to my reviewer about the multi cache i have been trying to get published for a week now, but ide appreciate it if you contact me first next time, so i can give you the coordinantes, so you can go have a look for yourself. Im trying to play the game, and abide by the rules, im reading the forums, posting questions i need answered, and answering questions to the best of my knowledge, i am not trying to offend anyone, so im sorry if you take offense to me, but if you have tried to prevent me from hiding my cache, ide like to know what the issues was you had with it. thanks.

I'm not sure how much more clear you can get than the guidelines... seems to me that it's not so much playing by the rules but playing by semantics.

It's up to your reviewer to approve caches and that is the person who is supposed to handle guideline issues. Whatever issue you are having with getting your cache published must be taken up with your reviewer.

Hey. We've got a cache near here. 5 Gallon bucket, in the grass at a shopping center. Between the parking area and the fence around the water retention area. Hidden by a kid visiting his father for the summer. It's been there for almost two years! Of course, it's been wet and moldy inside for almost two years also. (Kid hasn't been back for almost two years to do maintenance.)

So, you'd be surprised for how long a large container can sit there, out in the open!

my cache is not buried, its sunk most of the way in the ground, but does not require a shovel to get to it, or inside of it.
Note that the guidelines prohibit using "a shovel, trowel or other 'pointy' object [...] to dig, whether in order to hide or to find the cache". So it doesn't matter that seekers do not need a shovel to find it, if a shovel was used to hide it.

im not sure if someone from these forums reported this disinformation to my reviewer about the multi cache i have been trying to get published for a week now, but ide appreciate it if you contact me first next time, so i can give you the coordinantes, so you can go have a look for yourself.
A few points...

First, many reviewers read the forums themselves, so it may be possible that no one "reported" you. Besides, a list of all your forum posts is just a couple clicks away: click on the link to your profile, then click on the "See the Forum Posts for This User" link.

Second, reviewers certainly aren't going to have a look for themselves before publishing any cache. Expecting them to do so is unreasonable. They review too many caches, their territories cover to much geography, and life's too short. They review caches based on the information available to them online, and their familiarity with their territories.

Third, it's even more unreasonable to expect someone on the forums to have a look themselves, especially for an unpublished cache. Sorting out potential violations of the guidelines isn't our job. It's the (volunteer) job that the reviewers' signed up for. If someone is concerned about a potential violation of the guidelines, and is concerned about retaliation from an angry cache owner (or just doesn't want to deal with explaining the issue to the cache owner and following up later), then it's perfectly reasonable to ask a reviewer to sort it out. Don't take it personally.

my cache is not buried, its sunk most of the way in the ground, but does not require a shovel to get to it, or inside of it.

Those are all irrelevant points, Ashnikes. Listen to what people are telling you. Sunk most of the way into the ground is considered buried. It doesn't matter that it doesn't take a shovel to get inside of.

Many reviewers read these forums. If your reviewer has learned about this, it doesn't mean that anyone has gone behind your back. Besides, would you listen to a member any more had they contacted you personally, then you are listening to us now, about this?

my cache is not buried, its sunk most of the way in the ground, but does not require a shovel to get to it, or inside of it. im not sure if someone from these forums reported this disinformation to my reviewer about the multi cache i have been trying to get published for a week now, but ide appreciate it if you contact me first next time, so i can give you the coordinantes, so you can go have a look for yourself. Im trying to play the game, and abide by the rules, im reading the forums, posting questions i need answered, and answering questions to the best of my knowledge, i am not trying to offend anyone, so im sorry if you take offense to me, but if you have tried to prevent me from hiding my cache, ide like to know what the issues was you had with it. thanks.

If I were a reviewer, my question would be how did it "sink" in the ground? The shovel guideline is for placing as well as finding.

I highly doubt anyone on this forum would try to prevent you from getting your cache published. What is your reviewer asking that you do to get it approved? It might not have to do with placement at all. Placing a multi can be difficult because obviously, more waypoints = more complexity.

Let us know what they are asking you to do, maybe we can help. Seems like it might get you a better response than just accusing folks of trying to prevent you from publishing a cache. Why would anyone do that?

Hey. We've got a cache near here. 5 Gallon bucket, in the grass at a shopping center. Between the parking area and the fence around the water retention area. Hidden by a kid visiting his father for the summer. It's been there for almost two years! Of course, it's been wet and moldy inside for almost two years also. (Kid hasn't been back for almost two years to do maintenance.)

So, you'd be surprised for how long a large container can sit there, out in the open!

Wow! That's amazing. Our large (5 gallon size) is off of a walking trail in town here. Granted Junction City is not a large town, but it's a fairly heavy traffic area. We cammoed it pretty well, I think that helps :ph34r: