Cache too high for short cachers?

Parknet

I just hid a cache and was thinking about it on the way home. I am 5' 9" and had to reach up to place the cache in its perch. Is this un-cool because shorter cachers and wheelchair cachers will need a tool to get to it? If too short, they should be able to see it but will need a reaching tool or something to stand on.

I can move it but it is in such a great spot! Just wanted to collect some advice before submitting for review.

Of course, I would put comments about this challenge in the description if I choose to go as-is but don't want to bum out our shorter cache-heads.

thanks!

I'm just 5ft :P

I wouldn't be "bummed out" by your cache placement. :D

(Not sure exactly what that means... Hope I don't get modded for using that expression :anibad: )

Just make some mention on the cache description that little shorties will need to bring a tall partner / a grabber stick / a lassoo / a step-ladder / a blorenge box to stand on... or something.

:o

MrsB

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth as another cacher who's just barely 5 ft tall.

I come across caches I can't reach now and then, and use several methods to solve the problem.

1. I've brought along someone taller

2. I've brought along something to stand on

3. I've used a reacher-grabber

4. I've knocked the cache down, and pushed it back up, with my hiking pole

I don't mind that people place caches like this, but I really appreciate a heads-up in the cache description so that I can plan my caching outings appropriately.

Thanks for asking,

Nancy

I'm just 5ft :D

I wouldn't be "bummed out" by your cache placement. :P

(Not sure exactly what that means... Hope I don't get modded for using that expression :) )

Just make some mention on the cache description that little shorties will need to bring a tall partner / a grabber stick / a lassoo / a step-ladder / a blorenge box to stand on... or something.

:D

MrsB

That made me laugh out loud!! Thanks, MrsB. It's okay to say "bummed out". On this side of the pond it means disappointed.

A hide near me is on a bridge that is built to look like a castle wall ,, cache is on top of a "turret" ,,,

I'm 6' tall and could only just reach it, the cacher who came after me emailed me saying that he was sure he knew where it was but being only 5' 4" he couildnt reach it ,,,,,,,, i confirmed he was looking in the right place

A few days later he emailed me again ,,, saying that he had been back, armed with a hard hat, hi-vis jacket, trafic cones and a ladder, coned a safe area ,, climbed the ladder and signed the log

If a person wants the smiley ,,,, they WILL find a way

Edited by Smurf

I just hid a cache and was thinking about it on the way home. I am 5' 9" and had to reach up to place the cache in its perch. Is this un-cool because shorter cachers and wheelchair cachers will need a tool to get to it? If too short VERTICALLY CHALLENGED, they should be able to see it but will need a reaching tool or something to stand on.

I can move it but it is in such a great spot! Just wanted to collect some advice before submitting for review.

Of course, I would put comments about this challenge in the description if I choose to go as-is but don't want to bum out our shorter MORE VERTICALLY CHALLENGED cache-heads.

thanks!

There... Fixed that for ya. :D

I just hid a cache and was thinking about it on the way home. I am 5' 9" and had to reach up to place the cache in its perch. Is this un-cool because shorter cachers and wheelchair cachers will need a tool to get to it? If too short, they should be able to see it but will need a reaching tool or something to stand on. ...

I'm big. For every tall cache that I can deftly handle to the chagrin of my smaller partners there are an equil if not greater number of caches in rabit holes or tight locations that they deftly handle that would make me seem like a bull in a china shop.

There are plenty enough caches for us all. Except maybe the ones you can reach from a wheel chair. Those seem a bit more rare.

I just hid a cache and was thinking about it on the way home. I am 5' 9" and had to reach up to place the cache in its perch. Is this un-cool because shorter cachers and wheelchair cachers will need a tool to get to it? If too short, they should be able to see it but will need a reaching tool or something to stand on.

Of course, I would put comments about this challenge in the description if I choose to go as-is but don't want to bum out our shorter cache-heads.

thanks!

If you like the hide, leave it as is. I might either put something in the description, or raise the T/D ratings a bit. Not every cache has to be appropriate for every seeker.

I'm only 5' short & one day when I was out caching without the rest of the family I came across a cache I couldn't reach. Even if did manage to knock it down with something I knew I wouldn't be able to place it back in its hiding spot. Just before driving off I remembered the lawn chairs we store in the back of the geo-mobile. Got the cache! After that experience we now have a short ladder we keep in our vehicle... you never know when you might need a boost! :blink:

Hide your cache... rate it correctly & watch the online logs come in.

At 5' 6" I have used my hiking stick to knock caches down and push them back. I've also used my wife's cane for the same thing, and once carried a folding ladder into the woods to retrieve an ammo can from the top of a fireplace chimney where a cabin once stood. Climbed a couple of trees too, refused to climb others. Right now I'm watching a couple of up a tree hides and wondering where I can borrow a 10 year old house monkey.

hairball

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth as another cacher who's just barely 5 ft tall.

I come across caches I can't reach now and then, and use several methods to solve the problem.

1. I've brought along someone taller

2. I've brought along something to stand on

3. I've used a reacher-grabber

4. I've knocked the cache down, and pushed it back up, with my hiking pole

My caching partner, who is 5'3", is noted to log: Discriminates against short bears. Be sure to bring along a tall dolphin. (I'm 6'2".) And I've always wondered what the people watching the surveillance cameras thought when they saw me walking down the street with my caching partner on my shoulders!

We hunted a cache that was in a tree. Too high for anyone (except mayby Shaq) to reach. The description said to bring a small child or a ladder. We brought a not so small child and boosted him onto hubby's shoulders. Cache retrieved, log signed, cache replaced, child returned to ground level.

Just make sure the description mentions a retreival tool might be necessary due to height.

At 5'9", I would say that is average height of people. I am that height, and most people are my height (and usually taller.) Shouldn't be a problem.

The caches that get to me are the ones 20' off the ground in a tree, but do not mention this in the description. Having a high D/T rating doesn't cover this! If it is high up in a tree, mention it!

I'm just 5ft :rolleyes:

MrsB

Thanks for asking,

Nancy

Stop taunting me! :D LoL. (I'm like my ladies short! My wife is 5' even also! :) )

I have one that is 10' up. I just moved it to about 9'3" about 20 minutes ago. I'm just hoping no one breaks a hip or gets a compound fracture as it is over concrete. ;)

Go for it!!!!!

Edited by Knight2000

The caches that get to me are the ones 20' off the ground in a tree, but do not mention this in the description. Having a high D/T rating doesn't cover this! If it is high up in a tree, mention it!

Many times remembering to look up is part of the challenge. I don't think you should always reveal that the cache is above the head. You may if you want, but i feel it takes something away from the challenge.

Being high up in a tree is very different from being too high for shorter people. Most experienced cachers carry tools/equipment to use with caches that are just beyond their reach. If everybody has to climb to reach the cache, give it a higher terrain rating. If it is harder for some people, you do not need to up the terrain rating. IMHO, that is.

I have a 22' telescoping fiberglass windsock/banner pole which I originally bought to retrieve model aircraft from trees with, but it now doubles as part of my geocaching gear. I've had to extend it all the way to retrieve several caches and it hasn't been long enough for a few others.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all fair as long as the cache description at least suggests that a TOTT might be required. That info may sound a little ambiguous to some of you, but figuring that stuff out is all part of the game to me.

Pete

I'm barely 5 feet, and was pretty upset by some caches high up, until my fellow cacher, and close friend, got an idea: I would sit, or stand, on her shoulders! :laughing: I'm sure we make quite the sight! :laughing:

We do that quite often for high-up caches. We try to be inconspicuous about it, but it doesn't always work out that way. Once we were way out in the woods near an old chain-link fence; we had already foundd the cache inside one of the posts but for extra-curricular reasons we needed to see if there was anything else hidden down below it. So I got up on my co-crab's shoulders and was preparing to shine a flashlight into the depths of the fence pole, when out of nowhere two hikers came strolling along the path.

We looked them and froze, they looked at us and did a double-take. Pause... "Hi," I said, somewhat lamely.

With better social skills than I have, they replied, "Nice day, isn't it?"

"Beautiful!" I replied, getting no help from the crab below me. They waved and resumed walking.

Edited by the hermit crabs

Just place in the "hint" (Reach) or about head high....these are great hides...I would not change it....check out the guidelines for diff for "Wheelchair" caches....wheelchair diff is "1 star"...I'm not concerned about "wheelchair" cachers, because these challenged cachers are accompained by family and, or friends that will give help on such as your high cache.....Stay safe and have fun.

Yup - I agree with a lot of the advice here - as long as you put *something* in the cache page to say "reach" or "stretch" or whatever, that is enough.

Imagine getting to a cache, only to discover you must cross a 20 foot wide, 18 inch deep creek. Don't you wish you were more prepared?

It's not the challenge that's annoying, it's the fact that you weren't told. Geocaching is supposed to be fun. ...for the cacher, that is, not the trap-setter...er um I mean cache-hider.

This is geocaching, not "Survivor".

Aside: I'm 5'2", and I still do caches that say "reach". It's my choice. I go in informed.

One cache we went for was high up in a tree.

the cache page was not clear about that, but hinted around to the fact, so if you paid attention, and guessed, you could figure it out.

We got there and my very sharp geo-partner figured it out first.

He pointed out that all the lower branches of the trees in one area had the moss knocked off of them.

They had all been climbed (signals were weak in the dense forest).

You indeed could not see the cache until you were up in the tree.

Luckily it was an easy one to climb. One of the most fun caches I've seen.

although a nano in a utility pole "bummed me out" when it was way above my head. It was right next to a river that was forested and FULL of thousands of possibiities for a large cache. And here they chose a utility pole on the busy road, a nano cache, and way above my head. That one annoyed me.