TB mileage not calculating

MaxB on the River

Accordong to post 53, this traveler should have gotten the milage updated when it was dropped yesterday?

TB2MP3E

it's just one on my watchlist.

Do we HAVE to recalculate in order for them to start working again? It will be important for me to know if this problem will be fixed permanantly before I commit to buying 500-1000 new tracking numbers to put on coins. I'm not sure I'll want to have more coins made it they will not always work right. about 400 of those would be active under my own account, and having to manually adjust every one will be out of the question. Having the owner required to recalculare is not a viable solution for people who own hundreds of travelers.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Same thing for TB29FKC

No automatic update, but manual update works. This is rather annoying when it's a contestant in a TB race.

I agree, especially when I have some in a race with 450 others. One player has 100 coins in the race, it could take several hours to manually update tham all.

WSR, you're quite correct. It's gonna take forever to update all our coins! I have just found out about this problem so will start working on it..... :blink:

There was a nightly SQL Job that had been running at 3am but was turned off for some reason. This is back on so TBs should be calculating mileage automatically again. Thanks for all your patience guys.

I hate it when that happens at work. Good job...

Is this related to the problem where some bugs don't have a "View Map" link even tho they have been logged several times???

Some examples:

Fast and Moose Racer (currently in hands has no link)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB2JZN1

Wally is an other example (currently in cache)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB2K556

And then if you go to the History for the cache Wally is in, it shows zero miles logged (not true of course)

I am new at the TB thing so this may be a worn-out question but I can't see it posted anywhere else. I purchased a vehicle TB and have dipped it twice. The first dip was in a cache I visited (logged as found) and the mileage didn't show up. So I thought maybe it was due to the bug not having a starting place. So I went to one of my kid's caches (nearest to my home cords) and dipped it there. Still no mileage. I realize there are issues going on right now with the system so I am not clear on a couple of things.

So this is what I need to know:

Is it ok to dip a vehicle bug, one that will never stay in a cache? (I have the dogtag on my cache bag so it actually makes a physical visit to the caches)

How do I manually log miles? I only plan on keeping one personal bug for now so I don't mind plugging in the miles myself.

And last but not least, can I go back and dip the bug in caches I visited a while back but are a distance from my home cords? If I just add a note instead of another find, is that ok to do? I just want to keep with proper etiquette. I have had the TB for a while but I've never been sure if I could dip a vehicle bug or not.

Thanks in advance to anyone who provides info. I plan to travel from OH to NC this summer and I want to move several TB's during my trip . But I also want to keep track of my own miles and I want to know the right way to do it.

I am new at the TB thing so this may be a worn-out question but I can't see it posted anywhere else. I purchased a vehicle TB and have dipped it twice. The first dip was in a cache I visited (logged as found) and the mileage didn't show up. So I thought maybe it was due to the bug not having a starting place. So I went to one of my kid's caches (nearest to my home cords) and dipped it there. Still no mileage. I realize there are issues going on right now with the system so I am not clear on a couple of things.

Is it ok to dip a vehicle bug, one that will never stay in a cache? (I have the dogtag on my cache bag so it actually makes a physical visit to the caches)

How do I manually log miles? I only plan on keeping one personal bug for now so I don't mind plugging in the miles myself.

And last but not least, can I go back and dip the bug in caches I visited a while back but are a distance from my home cords? If I just add a note instead of another find, is that ok to do? I just want to keep with proper etiquette. I have had the TB for a while but I've never been sure if I could dip a vehicle bug or not.

Thanks in advance to anyone who provides info. I plan to travel from OH to NC this summer and I want to move several TB's during my trip . But I also want to keep track of my own miles and I want to know the right way to do it.

I don't claim to be an expert on this subject, so I will assume that someone will correct me if and when one of my answers is wrong, but here's my understanding:

Yes, it's quite OK to dip your travel bug in caches you visit. I know several cachers who use this method to keep track of their caching mileage.

As far as I'm aware, you can't manually enter mileage. The consensus seems to be that the system is keeping track of travel bug mileage internally, it's just not showing up on the Web page. You can always select "Recalculate distance" in the drop-down menu near the upper right of the travel bug's Web page to force the system to update the mileage (by default you'll see "Mark item missing" in the menu). This seems to work at least most of the time.

You could go back and dip your travel bug in caches you've already visited, with the following two caveats: First, If you don't dip the bug in the caches in the same order you visited them, the mileage you actually traveled between caches probably won't be accurate. Second, you should, of course, do this via writing a note and not claiming another find on each cache. Although I haven't tried it myself, I think you can leave a note and drop the bug; leave another note and retrieve the bug; and then delete both notes to keep the cache's Web page clean. Deleting the notes after the fact won't undo your dipping the bug in the cache, it just deletes the notes.

Hope this helps!

--Larry

Is this related to the problem where some bugs don't have a "View Map" link even tho they have been logged several times???

Some examples:

Fast and Moose Racer (currently in hands has no link)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB2JZN1

Wally is an other example (currently in cache)

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB2K556

And then if you go to the History for the cache Wally is in, it shows zero miles logged (not true of course)

YES.

GS thought they had it fixed but its broke again. It was working for a few hours from what I can tell. Have to wait until Monday for a response.

I don't claim to be an expert on this subject, so I will assume that someone will correct me if and when one of my answers is wrong, but here's my understanding:

Yes, it's quite OK to dip your travel bug in caches you visit. I know several cachers who use this method to keep track of their caching mileage.

As far as I'm aware, you can't manually enter mileage. The consensus seems to be that the system is keeping track of travel bug mileage internally, it's just not showing up on the Web page. You can always select "Recalculate distance" in the drop-down menu near the upper right of the travel bug's Web page to force the system to update the mileage (by default you'll see "Mark item missing" in the menu). This seems to work at least most of the time.

You could go back and dip your travel bug in caches you've already visited, with the following two caveats: First, If you don't dip the bug in the caches in the same order you visited them, the mileage you actually traveled between caches probably won't be accurate. Second, you should, of course, do this via writing a note and not claiming another find on each cache. Although I haven't tried it myself, I think you can leave a note and drop the bug; leave another note and retrieve the bug; and then delete both notes to keep the cache's Web page clean. Deleting the notes after the fact won't undo your dipping the bug in the cache, it just deletes the notes.

Hope this helps!

--Larry

Correct on everything except that you only need to delete just the cache drop note. (The option presents itself as soon as you post) Retrieval is only on the bug page. :rolleyes:

Larry and BlueDeuce, thanks for the info!

My main concern was that a vehicle bug could be considered a traveler, I guessed it was so because it does have a tracking number. But again, I want to stay with the proper etiquette.

I have tried to recalculate the mileage on the bug but it isn't working. I will do some more dipping and see if that helps.

Thanks again for the help! :rolleyes:

The mileage doesn't always update instantly. Give it some time before you worry, but no updates have been made anywhere on the site since the 12th.

There is an elusive mileage bug that has plagued me for years, but it's too soon to tell if this is the case here.

I dropped travel bugs and coins a week ago in Arizona....after dipping them here in Illinois. I still have no mileage. I'm really bummed. :):D:D Loony Lori

Based on what I see with some TBs I own and some I'm watching it is not retroactively calculating the mileage from time of the outage, but will calculate new mileage when the bug is dropped off in a cache now.

So once the owners do a "Recalculate distance" everything should then be ok going forward.

We have just moved some new tb's of ours overseas, they have been picked up but no mileage and no map showing, can anyone help?

Looking at your bugs I see two scenarios. A bug has to have a minimum of two caches to show mileage. It's best to take a bug caching locally and 'Dip' it in a cache so it has a starting location.

For the other bugs access the bug page and under Trackable Item Options select the pull down menu labeled Mark item Missing. In there is the option to Recalculate distance. Select and click GO.

We have just moved some new tb's of ours overseas, they have been picked up but no mileage and no map showing, can anyone help?

Looking at your bugs I see two scenarios. A bug has to have a minimum of two caches to show mileage. It's best to take a bug caching locally and 'Dip' it in a cache so it has a starting location.

For the other bugs access the bug page and under Trackable Item Options select the pull down menu labeled Mark item Missing. In there is the option to Recalculate distance. Select and click GO.

Also to add: Yes it should work automatically but its broken for now.

We're still having problems too with our TB race - manual recalculate mostly seems to work.

However, this bug Boss Hog calculated automatically - but incorrectly! The last hop has been added twice. We've recalculated (several times) but to no effect. This means that we are actually going to have to sit with calculator to work out who's won the race. Any thoughts?

Well, I actualy just noticed that the milage bug has hit my personal mileage tracker. I've tried clicking on the "Recalculate mileage" button a few times since I got back from GW7 and it won't update.

Not a "critical" bug, just an annoying one.

I have noticed that some of my geocoins auto update, some that take a day or two and some that do not unless I do it manually.

I wish the recalculate distance option was on top instead of mark trackable missing. I thought it was this way before and changed a few months ago.

Just started caching and have dropped of a few coins, and have a few in my inventory, but I do not see the milage calculating at all even after I manually calculate it? Does another cacher have to pick it up and drop if off before it starts?

Just started caching and have dropped of a few coins, and have a few in my inventory, but I do not see the milage calculating at all even after I manually calculate it? Does another cacher have to pick it up and drop if off before it starts?

Your bug will need to be dropped into at least two caches before it can start tracking mileage.

Yes, the beginning of a coin or travel bug's adventure is the first location it's placed in. Mileage is added every time it's moved from one location to the next (and sometimes you have to give that mileage indicator a nudge by doing the "Recalculate distance" thing).

--Larry

OK, I just finished back-dipping all my finds with a personal TB dogtag of mine ( TB2JNDG - http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1992760 ), but the milelage is still showing as Zero. I'm not seeing anything to manually recalculate the mileage, either. Is there something I'm missing, or is the problem with this is that it can't calculate mileage from before the TB was activated?

The recalculate option is under the pull down menu labeled Mark item missing.

If that doesn't work give it a day to refresh. Sometimes the system just doesn't update the mileage very fast.

Edited by BlueDeuce

OK, I just finished back-dipping all my finds with a personal TB dogtag of mine ( TB2JNDG - http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=1992760 ), but the milelage is still showing as Zero. I'm not seeing anything to manually recalculate the mileage, either. Is there something I'm missing, or is the problem with this is that it can't calculate mileage from before the TB was activated?

The recalculate option is under the pull down menu labeled Mark item missing.

If that doesn't work give it a day to refresh. Sometimes the system just doesn't update the mileage very fast.

Ah, sweet, thanks! Wow, just over 2100 miles for 37 finds, not bad! That one virtual in Disneyland sure helped there!

Not working again for me; if I press "recalculate distance" on the drop down menu it just does nothing. Annoying when you have a TB to calculate your caching distance!

Same here (though I don't use a TB to keep track of distances). Since sometime Saturday morning, if I select "Recalculate distance," there's a long pause as if something's happening in the background, but when the page refreshes, the distance hasn't been updated. This has happened at least half a dozen times now. Some background process seems to be broken.

--Larry

Not working again for me; if I press "recalculate distance" on the drop down menu it just does nothing. Annoying when you have a TB to calculate your caching distance!

Same here (though I don't use a TB to keep track of distances). Since sometime Saturday morning, if I select "Recalculate distance," there's a long pause as if something's happening in the background, but when the page refreshes, the distance hasn't been updated. This has happened at least half a dozen times now. Some background process seems to be broken.

--Larry

Yep - not working. We had a traveler move from Oregon to Connecticut a few days ago and yesterday I hit the "Recalculate Distance" but still nothing has changed.

TB12NCB

Edited by ThePetersTrio

Not working on mine. Did not automatically recalculate and the recalculate option on the pull down menu did nothing after 4 attempts. Since coins and TBs are a good revenue source I'd think the priority of this fix would be higher.

Not working on mine. Did not automatically recalculate and the recalculate option on the pull down menu did nothing after 4 attempts. Since coins and TBs are a good revenue source I'd think the priority of this fix would be higher.

I don't know, I've never really considered current mileage to be a daily requirement like say keeping PQs or email running. My bug mileage being behind doesn't interfere with me getting out caching.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Three of mine T/B,coin is not updated from 6/6 i have tryed to force the mile still no luck

Can Raine check them out i my have missed somthing

Is there still proplems with the software.

thanks

Labrador Wild Man

Good luck.. I have one waiting since March 30. I just tried the recalculate again today but it still doesn't work.