Sign for private property

I tried searching for this but for some reason I can never find anything using the search feature.

I have a cache on property our family owns. My sister lives there and decided to put up posted signs to keep the fisherman and hunters off the property. There is no problem with cachers. I wanted to put a sign next to the posted sign that would ensure that they knew it was OK to hike/cache there. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on a sign that only cachers would understand. I was thinking "GEO" or "CACHING". Just looking for some suggestions. I know the best would be to just take down the posted signs but that is not going to happen.

bpp_picnic

I tried searching for this but for some reason I can never find anything using the search feature.

I have a cache on property our family owns. My sister lives there and decided to put up posted signs to keep the fisherman and hunters off the property. There is no problem with cachers. I wanted to put a sign next to the posted sign that would ensure that they knew it was OK to hike/cache there. I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on a sign that only cachers would understand. I was thinking "GEO" or "CACHING". Just looking for some suggestions. I know the best would be to just take down the posted signs but that is not going to happen.

bpp_picnic

"Geocache Inspectors Welcome"

or

Just put up the GC code and "ok"

or

Just the Groundspeak logo

or

"Geocachers ok"

PRIVATE PROPERTY: No Tresspassing - Geocachers Only

or something... i've seen a thread like that before. One mentioned Geological Surveyers Only.

I would also note your cache pages saying that it's YOUR private property and it's ok to be there... Because most everyone (should) steer clear of private property signs

What makes me wonder is why they would allow cachers but not fishermen. Its like letting Volkswagon Jetta's park in front of my house but not pick-up trucks.

If I have a house party and invite 20 people, i'll put a note saying "Door is open, come on in" But doesn't mean I want other random strangers walking into my house for free beer =P

The OP might have a big land and want to hide a cache and doesn't mind geocachers invited to the property for a specific purpose - but wouldn't want everyone else wandering around the property on a daily basis, leaving trash or tearing up things, etc. Not to mention hunters, if they get hurt on your property - could actually sue you. Lame people these days, have to be protective.

What makes me wonder is why they would allow cachers but not fishermen. Its like letting Volkswagon Jetta's park in front of my house but not pick-up trucks.

Perhaps that's because geocachers tend to be respectful of the area they are in. Heck, they might even CITO.

Hunters and fisherman are there to take something from the property...game or fish. A cacher is there only to hunt/find/log and leave.

Believe it or not, some people object to killing animals. Don't want it done on their property. Hard to imagine, huh?

Believe it or not, some people object to Geocaching. Don't want it done on their property. Hard to imagine, huh?

I have a geocache on my property and have no problem with geocachers hunting for it as long as they are respectful. But I sure don't want anyone hunting or fishing on my property. I am good with Jettas and pickups as long as they have a valid reason to be there and they stay on the pavevement. <_<

Believe it or not, some people object to killing animals. Don't want it done on their property. Hard to imagine, huh?

Believe it or not, some people object to Geocaching. Don't want it done on their property. Hard to imagine, huh?

I have a geocache on my property and have no problem with geocachers hunting for it as long as they are respectful. But I sure don't want anyone hunting or fishing on my property. I am good with Jettas and pickups as long as they have a valid reason to be there and they stay on the pavevement. :P

OK

I am not againast fishing or hunting and I do both. I did not mean for this to be a debate on that subject. The land is bordered by state game lands and I use my land for that very purpose. I also have in my yard a VW Golf and a Chevy pickup, I only wanted some sugestions which I did get. I will use one of them. Some were very good! My cache page explains that it is on private property but if anyone caches "blind" they may not know that. Thanks for all the suggestions.

bpp_picnic

I'd make a sign that says "Geocachers Only" while one could just claim they are a cacher if they are carrying hunting, fishing stuff you know they are lying.

I used to live on a campus that had over 900 acres, they allowed hunters back there to hunt in certain areas far from the campus but did not want the drunk teenagers back there distroying the various buildings and such so they put up a "no trespassing" sign and told the hunters that had a agreement with them that they just needed to let them know when there were going to be there. Unfortunatly the hunters started ignoring that rule and hunting VERY close to the campus so they got banned also.

Something along the lines of "Geocachers Only" or "Warning Geocaching Area" (which is cute cuz it makes it sound like something to keep an eye out for) would be enough to tell cachers on location that it's okay. And of course say on the page 'there are no trespassing signs but cachers are welcomed by the land owners'.

I have a geocache on my property and have no problem with geocachers hunting for it as long as they are respectful. But I sure don't want anyone hunting or fishing on my property. I am good with Jettas and pickups as long as they have a valid reason to be there and they stay on the pavevement. :P

OK

I am not againast fishing or hunting and I do both. I did not mean for this to be a debate on that subject. The land is bordered by state game lands and I use my land for that very purpose. I also have in my yard a VW Golf and a Chevy pickup, I only wanted some sugestions which I did get. I will use one of them. Some were very good! My cache page explains that it is on private property but if anyone caches "blind" they may not know that. Thanks for all the suggestions.

bpp_picnic

Sorry if I managed to offend you with my attempt at humor. I am not against fishing, hunting OR geocaching. I was trying to point out that the previous poster WAS trying to turn it into a debate. I don't much care what kind of vehicles cachers drive either, but I still want them to stay on the pavement.

OT, separate signs would work or you might think about placing Geocaching stickers on the no trespassing signs and add a little "OK".

It's their property, they can allow or disallow anything they what on their property. Can I come and deer hunt in front of your house in the morning?

If I am out caching I would not want to get shot or barbed.

It's their property, they can allow or disallow anything they what on their property. Can I come and deer hunt in front of your house in the morning?

Just looking for some suggestions. I know the best would be to just take down the posted signs but that is not going to happen.

Leave the posted signs up. They may help keep the cachers safe.

Just make it clear (big letters) in your listing that the landed is posted, but you own it, and caching is allowed. Maybe post some parking coordinates, so you'll know when the cachers are around. That should keep everyone informed, and as we all know, informed cachers are happy cachers.

Just looking for some suggestions. I know the best would be to just take down the posted signs but that is not going to happen.

If you're looking to add a sign next to your sister's then you could say something to the effect "Geocaching by Permit Only." Explain on the description page that a show of the description page, either a paper copy or electronic version is the permit. If your guests are confronted then they have their proof they are allowed there.

It's my opinion that a sign of this sort should be plain, simple and to the point without any ambiguity. Don't know about your area but the law might be wondering what someone is doing parked near a posted sign and investigate.

well let's see here, being an hunter and fisherman i'm feeling a slight bit of resentment in the air, why not be as smart as us. as a ligitimate hunter and fisherman i get cards from the division of wildlife that i take to property owners. face to face asking them if i can have permission to be on their property. if they say yes then i have them sign the cards, which states that i respect the property close all gates i enter through, pick up trash and whatever else i can do to keep my access. no tresspassing signs , including no hunting and fishing don't stop me on that particular property. now if coordinates show that it may be on private property then the smart, legal thing to do is knock on the door of the property owner and ask for permission to enter the property.

now that being said, i have noticed that some caches in my area are on business properties and am wondering if someone asked permission to place a cache there or are we just doing it because it's a great place to hid a cache. i have already asked a property owner if i could hid a cache on his property.after i explained about caching he actually was intriqued about it.he is considering it, using a corner of the property that people can enter w/o intervering with things as he understands that people will be milling around.access would be through a cattle grate. there may be cattle, maybe not.

if i get the go ahead , i will place a parking sign outside the gate, there is a small area to park a couple cars, no one has to drive on the property but they atleast know they can park and enter to find cache. this little bit of info will be put on my hide page.

so maybe you could do some of the things i've suggested in someway , pick an area, maybe parking area and put info reguarding to it being on private property. i'm no genius but i know there are a few of you out there that could refine some of this but this is what i'm going to do if i get permission, he's just worried about the area being trash out, because then it becomes my problem if it does.

You wanted something clear to cachers, but to others - which I might add is better then seeming to discriminate.

I really like the encripted CACHERS ALLOWED idea. I also did a cache one that was clearly labeled "Do Not Disturb - Geo Research Site". You could post a small sign below the No Trespassing Sign that said "Geo Research Area" which darn near every cacher would interpret as a "come on in" but others would think means "stay out".