Small cars for mileage, or 4x4s for, well, having a 4x4 while caching?

drew82

Hey everyone, I recently purchased a 93 mercury tracer from a struggling friend of the family for a pretty reasonable price... My intent was to clean it up and drive this car for caching and other things that i havent had the luxury of doing with gas the way it is, and my 5.9 liter dodge ram the way it is on that gas:) The car has a 1.9 liter engine and seems to get very good milage, thus saving alot of money for me at the pump.. So my question is ,, WHAT DO YOU DRIVE WHILE CACHING AND WHY???

I really wanted a 4 wheel drive since I like to cache in the woods but not with gas prices like they are. I'm sticking with my rusty, beat up Festiva. It gets 35-40 mpg and can go places it really shouldn't. Here it is after climbing a mountain on gas well roads:

e4aa3699-d93e-492e-8429-dc51331ed4f5.jpg

We drive a Honda Odessey mini-van. Why? It has enough room for 2 dog crates side by side in the back, plus either 4 people or 2 people and a lot of stuff. We replaced a Saturn sedan with this because I needed a vehicle that I could use to dog shows and one that wasn't so low to the ground.

I'd love to have a 4x4 for caching but that would be the only need for 4wd.

Currently we drive mt 93 Dodge Grand Caravan. Why? Because its the only thing we have! LOL

Hopefully our 91 Honda Prelude will be back in working order soon then that we cover most of our outings, including caching.

Now if I had the money I'd love to have a Toyota FJ Cruiser, that thing kicks ars at being able to go anywhere!

With an alternating dual-stroke propulsion system (which I find works best), I get an output of between a quarter and one-half horsepower and a top speed of around 10mph. The upside is fuel economy; half a pizza and a quart of Gatorade will keep me moving for an entire afternoon.

:):D:D

Wait, did you mean some other way of getting to caches?

Gas mileage wasn't a consideration and I wasn't thinking of caching at the time, but I drive a Volkswagen GTI. It gets 25-30 mpg highway if you drive it right. If I were on a tight budget I'd probably go for something small that gets great gas mileage. I hear the VW diesel engines get 50-60 mpg or more.

Our 99 Outback gets 28-32 mpg, can go most places an SUV can, and kicks hard in the snow. It's no Jeep when it comes to offroading but it can get us about as far as we want to go, most of the time.

Last summer we sacrificed a fog light and a sway rod taking it up roads we shouldn't have, but the cost of replacing those was less than the cost of gas would have been for driving a Jeep all summer.

'97 Ford Ranger pick 'em up truck.

2006 Toyota Camry.

1998 Buick Cachemobile w/ satellite recieving port.

Of course we only drive one of these at a time but we are working diligently to overcome that limitation.

Sometimes, when on vacations or long weekends, we'll use a rental car. In those instances, whatever sits on the lot works quite well.

Edited by Team Cotati

If my avatar shows up correctly, you will see my GPS mounted to my dual sport motorcycle. It also gets mounted in my F-150 4X4, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee, when I'm not on foot looking for cache spots.

I was thinking that a dual-sport motorcycle would make a good geocaching vehicle. I used to own a Honda 350XL and have been riding motorcycles off road since I was 10 years old. However, because we have a very long winter here (we just got 5" of snow a few days ago), it's been hard to justify buying another motorcycle.

I currently drive a Toyota Highlander (4 cylinder) so it's a decent compromise between mileage and seasonal road access.

Before that I had a Pontiac Vibe (4x4). It got better gas mileage but I never got a chance to see how it would do on rougher roads. Two months after I bought it we were going out to buy a Christmas tree and I was going down a gradually steeping road that had some fresh snow on it. As I came around a corner there was a car blocking my lane and I barely tapped the brakes and it started sliding and didn't stop until I hit a telephone pole broadside. We recently got a bill to pay for the pole so I'm thinking of putting a nano on it since I (we'll actually my insurance co.) paid for it.

I cache in a Jeep Grand Cherokee (or a rental car). The Jeep is also my daily driver. My wife's daily vehicle is a Chevy TrailBlazer. My sunny day car is a Cadillac Allante. My wife is waiting (impatiently) for delivery of a Smart fortwo cabrio that will be her sunny day car. We also own a '65 T-Bird and a '67 Camaro convertible.

Edited by sbell111

I drive a 2WD Chevy Silverado because that's what I had before starting caching. My next vehicle WILL be 4WD, and it'll probably be a truck because of my wife's need for hauling stuff (loads of topsoil and mulch for gardening, furniture, etc.). But it's probably going to be a mid-size truck because of the mileage issue.

Two vehicles, both Saturns, both have anti-lock brakes and Traction Control (but not 4WD), performs great in the snow:

2003 LW200 wagon, excellent gas mileage for its size, average about 25-27mpg, with cruise control can get up to 35 mpg on highway trips

2005 Relay "minivan-SUV crossover". Gets 25-29 mpg on the highway (the latter figure with cruise control) but crappy gas mileage in city/stop-and-go driving. They claim almost 20mpg in these conditions but get more like 14 or 15 :laughing: