Mega Event: A Statement

Hi, this is a copy of a post I made on behalf of the entire committee on the event page after discussions between ourselves following the reaction to the date we set.

----------------------------

Hi folks.

We knew that choosing a date would cause some to drop out, but the committee wasn't quite prepared for the reaction tonight's announcement has had.

Please bare in mind that were are human, and no one in the UK has tried to organise anything on this scale before.

We are listening to public opinion, and as of now we are putting the date back into limbo.

We have identified a weekend at the start of August which is a possibility, as it follows a Camping event in Derbyshire the week before, and is before another event the weekend after.

What we ask of you now is to take part in this poll so the committee can see which date we should opt for. http://www.metalheads.co.uk/megaevent/poll.html

The Committee meets again on Sunday 20th January, and we will make a revised decision on the date then. If anyone wishes to join us, please get in touch.

Thanks for your support, and remember "We Need You!"

-----------------------

If anyone voted in the poll within 10 minutes of the note appearing on the cache page, could you try again, as I had to start it afresh due to a bug that was pointed out to me.

Jamie, on behalf of Robin and the other committee members.

I presume :) as you HAD a date for the Event that you also have a venue booked, which obviously we are not going to find out yet, but.......

What is the earliest date we can arrive at the venue and also the latest date we can leave? Lots of people have mentioned that they would like to stay more than a couple of nights.

Would it be a good idea to have a website somewhere where we can all ask question and have them answered if possible? I am sure people will be emailing you with questions and I am sure you will answer the same questions time and time again, so a website where we can ask questions and also see other teams questions and your replys might be useful :)

M :)

(Me again)

As this is all about the date, I personally could have made it on the 21st June, but that is only because I am already off that weekend and my daughter finishes school at 12:25 so I could have still made it down on the Friday. Any time in August I will have to book time off of work, but that really is my problem.

Someone has made the comment about the English, Wales school holidays, may I point out (again) that the first 2 weeks of August are the only time that the whole UK share the same holiday dates!!

I know Scotland has a government that doesn't want to be part of the UK, and that we have different laws, but at the moment we are very much still part of the UK and still part of the caching community. I have seen many Scottish cachers sign up for this event. Let's keep us in mind to. :)

I tried to vote, but I'm not sure that it worked. At the moment, it looks like I can get there for either date.

I'm not sure what the problem is with June really (except for clashing with other proposed events) - I thought that the date was at a weekend anyway? Do kids have to go to school on Saturdays now? With respect to those who think it's too far away for a weekend trip with kids: I would only agree if it takes more than 5 hours each way. Otherwise, four or five hours travelling may be a bit tiring - but quite practical. Lots of people do that every weekend just to get home from work.

It should be worth making a little extra effort to be able to say "I was there" at the inaugural UK Mega Event.

Id pencilled the end of july / begining of august in as the potential dates based on the original thread esp the Scottish comments on thier holidays..

Mnay thanks for putting it to the vote

I also emailed at the beginning of the week to offer some specific help not had a reply yet ?

In answer to Andy (HH) school clubs, weekend courses etc run in term time and many are at the weekend i can say that on the weekend of the 21st i would be cancelling swimming lessons, football, music lessons etc to get the kids to harrogate as well as Marks birthday party..

In answer to Andy (HH) school clubs, weekend courses etc run in term time and many are at the weekend i can say that on the weekend of the 21st i would be cancelling swimming lessons, football, music lessons etc to get the kids to harrogate as well as Marks birthday party..

Fair enough- it's a while since I had kids at school and things have obviously changed a bit!

Regarding going in school term time, yes I agree that the event is doable in a day/weekend from much of the UK, and I suppose that is fine if all you are after is a new icon. But to me (and many others I am sure) it is not just about an icon, it is about visiting a new area and people and taking time to discover the area and make new friends and catch up with old friends. This would be difficult if not impossible in a weekend where you are spending many hours travelling and then taking part in the organised activities. There is also the issue of travelling costs, which are much easier to justify if you are making a holiday out of it.

My thoughts on the subject for what its worth.

A personal note...

Can I urge UK cachers to pull together over the potential mega event? There seems to be a lot of negitivity around. I know the date is not popular, but remember, that this is a DAY event with opional accomodation. I have noticed that at least one team have pulled out due to it being too far to travel despite them having attended more than one of Robin's "normal" Harrogate events. I fail completely to see the logic in that.

The commitee have ceeded to public demand, so to speak, and offered an alternative date. which may be more acceptable, we'll have to see how the vote goes. It's clearly impossible to please EVERYONE, but we are doing our best and suggestions are welcomed.

It should be worth making a little extra effort to be able to say "I was there" at the inaugural UK Mega Event.

To be honest I don't do this for the numbers -(No, REALLY!) - so would be no more likely to drive for 5 hours from Exeter just to be able to say "I was there" than for any other 1 day event (ie very unlikely) - unless there was more going on than a 1 day "mega" event and the opportunity to get another icon.

For people traveling these sorts of distances there has to be something more worthwhile at the end.......IMO

To be honest I don't do this for the numbers -(No, REALLY!) - so would be no more likely to drive for 5 hours from Exeter just to be able to say "I was there" than for any other 1 day event (ie very unlikely) - unless there was more going on than a 1 day "mega" event and the opportunity to get another icon.

For people traveling these sorts of distances there has to be something more worthwhile at the end.......IMO

Yes the event is just one day but you have the option of stopping in the area and doing more, no doubt there will be other people doing the same

Can I urge UK cachers to pull together over the potential mega event?

UK cachers are pulling together very well :P ..... but just not in the same direction as the committee regarding a date which appears to have taken a lot of us totally by surprise.

MBF

Edited by MBFace

A personal note...

Can I urge UK cachers to pull together over the potential mega event? There seems to be a lot of negitivity around.

I'm just astounded by the negative comments in the other thread yesterday. This is a special one day Mega event. Something that UK (and EU) cachers should be crawling over hot coals to get to. The venue is within driving distance in a day for probably 90% of UK geocachers.

Having been to GW3 and almost got to GW4 I was asked for advice by the organisers at an early stage for thoughts and tips about how the Americans organise this type of event. The one thing that I didn't even consider was numbers. Over here, just organise it and people will come. It's a Mega. People WANT to be there. But it seems that isn't the British way. Maybe having petrol at 5 quid a gallon doesn't help.

Best of luck Robin et al. I hope you can pull this off but at the moment there doesn't seem to be enough UK cachers that WANT a Mega event just as an event.

Can I urge UK cachers to pull together over the potential mega event?

I think some people have tried to but have been told their opinions don't count as they are not on the committee. Remember that it may not be that much effort for locals to attend, but if the idea is to persuade 500 people to make the effort to attend, it might be an idea to listen to those potential attendees before making big decisions.

A personal note...

Can I urge UK cachers to pull together over the potential mega event? There seems to be a lot of negitivity around.

I'm just astounded by the negative comments in the other thread yesterday. This is a special one day Mega event. Something that UK (and EU) cachers should be crawling over hot coals to get to. The venue is within driving distance in a day for probably 90% of UK geocachers.

Having been to GW3 and almost got to GW4 I was asked for advice by the organisers at an early stage for thoughts and tips about how the Americans organise this type of event. The one thing that I didn't even consider was numbers. Over here, just organise it and people will come. It's a Mega. People WANT to be there. But it seems that isn't the British way. Maybe having petrol at 5 quid a gallon doesn't help.

Best of luck Robin et al. I hope you can pull this off but at the moment there doesn't seem to be enough UK cachers that WANT a Mega event just as an event.

Obviously, we are all waiting to see what the committee have to say, once the poll closes. I would disagree though that Harrogate is within a day's drive for 90% of cachers... Its one thing to say that we can get there in a day (I can get to Fort William in a day, from Surrey) but most people won't do that if they know they have to drive straight back home the next day! Especially as this trip would cost us nearly 100 quid in petrol alone, and more for those in tin tents! I'm happy to spend that on a weeks holiday, but not for one night away!

I would say there was an enormous amount of positive encouragement when the event was first suggested! Obviously, people had preferences on location, but once Robin generously volunteered to organise, the location was fixed and pretty much everyone got behind him. I hope he isn't discouraged by the latest developments, as we still need him as a driving force! And I'm sure (hopeful!) that the committee will appreciate people's concerns!

Just my thoughts! Do I need to put on my flame proof jacket?!

Dave

£100 Dave?

480 miles, 40mpg, 12 gallons, is petrol really over £8/gallon in Surrey? :P

The negativity has been very off-putting, especially from those within an hour or so drive...

nearer 30mpg, and i did say near 100 quid - but that's not really the point. As I said - lets see how the vote turns out - the last I saw, over 50% could only make the August date (for whatever reason), so by not going with that, it seems to be ruling out half the likely attendees.

Anyway, as you know, I'm not within an hours drive - even at the speed I drive! I hoped I'd kept my post unconfrontational, (is that a word?) so I'm just going to see what happens.

£100 Dave?

480 miles, 40mpg, 12 gallons, is petrol really over £8/gallon in Surrey? :P

The negativity has been very off-putting, especially from those within an hour or so drive...

40mpg, I wish

Pick any figure you like to justify it Ian, it still does not address the fact that if you are travelling a reasonable/significant distance to attend an event it WILL require more than an icon to attract most people. For many, particularly those with families, it will mean making the most of the opportunity to visit an area, ie by making a holiday of it. Believe me spending 4+ hours in a car with board children only to do the same the following day is no fun.

And if we're talking figures my gas guzzler (my choice I know) does 25mpg before I put the tin tent on the back, yes a significant cost at £5 / gallon.

Unfortunately I think this attack on those who do have to travel (and are willing to do so at a sensible time) and have the major commitment of child care is doing nothing to resolve anything. Quite the opposite as it seems to be alienating the very people that you need to attract to this event.

SORRY!!!

I don't want to offend anyone. Those two points should have been entirely separate. it wasn't intended to be an attack. Don't forget, I have kids, and I regularly travel long distances with them, including weekends, in term-time.

My point is, the reaction has been overwhelmingly negative. Even those who could VERY easily attend have pulled out, seemingly on principle.

I knew we couldn't please everyone, but it seems to me that unless people are going to be more open-minded and accept that if this is going to happen it cannot be on everyone's back door-stop then it's doomed to failure.

We considered many possible dates, and picked June 21 as we felt it was least likely that people would have booked holidays then, allowing them flexibility.

Can we please just wait for the results of the poll and the final decision by the Event committee?

All this bickering between ourselves is very wearing, and all it is achieving is for people to get very despondant to the point of not wanting to bother going at all.

Come on, lets be positive, we want a MEGA event, and at a time that suits the majority of people. HH has taken on the MEGA headache of organizing this, lets support - not criticise!

OK running out door...........

Edited by perth pathfinders

snip.............. This is a special one day Mega event. Something that UK (and EU) cachers should be crawling over hot coals to get to............snip

It may come as a surprise to you, but MOST people are not that bothered about the extra icon. Most want a memorable event, which means being able to spend time at the event, and in the area. Most do not want to drive for 3, 4, or 5 hours, spend a few hours at the event, stay a night and then spend the Sunday travelling home just for the icon.

Not sure about the hot coals, must speak to Marzipancurtis :P

SORRY!!!

I don't want to offend anyone. Those two points should have been entirely separate. it wasn't intended to be an attack. Don't forget, I have kids, and I regularly travel long distances with them, including weekends, in term-time.

My point is, the reaction has been overwhelmingly negative. Even those who could VERY easily attend have pulled out, seemingly on principle.

I knew we couldn't please everyone, but it seems to me that unless people are going to be more open-minded and accept that if this is going to happen it cannot be on everyone's back door-stop then it's doomed to failure.

We considered many possible dates, and picked June 21 as we felt it was least likely that people would have booked holidays then, allowing them flexibility.

:P

Fair points Ian, and I wouldn't like to comment on any locals that have pulled out - I don't know who they are or reasons, although I do sympathise with you in this regard!

Anyway, as the Phillimores said, we were hoping for a nice holiday in the area, which we can use to justify the costs! Can't quite squeeze that into a weekend though! I would just say though (although don't feel the need to reply, I sort of know what you meant!) that although it could have been on our back door step, we weren't too fussed about the location, after all, its a new place to go! Its the dates rather than the loaction! which brings me to the other PPs post - lets see how the poll goes!

Just out of interest, are booked holidays an issue?! Is it just us that haven't even thought about our summer holiday next year?! :P

snip.............. This is a special one day Mega event. Something that UK (and EU) cachers should be crawling over hot coals to get to............snip

snip............It may come as a surprise to you....snip

I'm shocked..... and stunned..... :P

Maybe it is time for some "market research" into what it is the MAJORITY of cachers (not just us on the forums and event regulars) would want from a mega-event. I honestly feel that to attract 500 it will have to have something special about it, but of course I could be wrong.

ah, at last a little light relief.

Anyway, lets give the poor b*****s a chance to recover from the brow beating and sort summat out.

now why had nobody mentioned that? If there's free beer, I'll fly up for a midweek evening event! On MrsPPs birthday!

I'm with Tony - lets all wait and see what how it turns out! I'm fairly certain that everyone is aware of the various opinions!

Edited by Deceangi

A personal note...

I have noticed that at least one team have pulled out due to it being too far to travel despite them having attended more than one of Robin's "normal" Harrogate events. I fail completely to see the logic in that.

Do you want to make any more digs :P

M :P

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

Well of course correct me if I'm wrong, but to me those 3 quotes were all a personal atacks (sorry that is a strong word, cant think of another at the minute) on us. :P

We are more than happy to come to Harrogate for the Mega Event we WANT to come to the Mega Event, but we also want to stay at least 3-4 days and we cannot do this during school term time, Daniel's education is much more important than an icon, and as someone mentioned earlier some schools simply wont allow you to take your kids out during term time.

If the date is changed to the 2nd August we will be there. :P

I have already had a long telephone conversation and explained all to Robin today, I have even offered to do a Mega Event Calendar to help with the funding!! :P

Possibly the reason for the lack of enthusiasm is that there has been too much emphasis (so far) on dates, venues and costs without actually advertising the attractive and fun things that are likely to take place, and that will make this much better than the average event.

I'm not blaming anyone for that, it was fair enough to ask for opinions on dates and venues before getting into the detail of what we can expect to happen: but it appears that several people think that it's just another event but with a different icon to collect. See The Royles post, which infers that the whole thing will be a bit lame and not even worth a short drive for (3 hours isn't much!). I didn't look at it like that, but I can see that with no previous UK mega-event to point at, it's difficult for people to imagine that it's going to be worth the extra effort.

To me, it looks like the organising is in good hands and I have every faith that there will be a mega-event to match an American one (well, almost...). I suspect that when the details of the proposed event activities become known, then lots of cachers will start signing up from all parts of the UK (whether there's a bit of travelling involved or not!).

I also suspect that many forum regulars enjoy having a good whinge more than anything else and are not representative of the geocaching public!

"attacks"? That's a bit strong!

Are you denying being negative?

You clearly, for some reason, do NOT want to come to the mega event despite it being well within your normal travelling distance as is proved from your public logs.

This what I wrote in reply to you.

We are more than happy to come to Harrogate for the Mega Event we WANT to come to the Mega Event, but we also want to stay at least 3-4 days and we cannot do this during school term time.....If the date is changed to the 2nd August we will be there

M

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

I'd suggest people take a couple of steps back, and let things settle down. The organising committee has retracted the original date and are canvassing peoples opinions on what suits the largest No. Arguments about issues caused by a date which it appears is no longer relevant is not helping to move the event planning forward. If people wish to see a Mega Event take place in the UK, I'd suggest we all pull together to move things forward.

Well helloooooo all.

I'm on the MEC (ME Com) but it seems from the replies that all comments are being blown back to the same few members... Trust me there is a lot of very hard work going on behind the scenes.. Yes there have "been words" but hopefully everything can be sorted out and a great Uk Event will be the result.. That is all any of us want.. I am sure that I can speak for the whole MEC that there is no self gain here we are all just dedicated to creating the best UK Mega event we can..

The best be can award ourselves is an "Attended" Icon

Regards

Steve.. AKA Madyokel

We are more than happy to come to Harrogate for the Mega Event we WANT to come to the Mega Event, but we also want to stay at least 3-4 days

M

Why?? It's a one day event that's about 60 miles away from where you live. :P

72 miles actually 1 n half hours pulling the tin tent :P

We want to stay 3-4 days to have a look around the area and do some caching and meet new cachers (and ones we already know) we are not going to have much time to do all the things Robin told me today is planned, and cache and speak to people in a 1 day event. Loads of folks want to make this into an event over several days, not just us. :P

If we are unable to stay at the site of the event for 3-4 days there is a caravan site we use regularly in Harrogate so it's not a problem for us, we will book on to this site and visit the event for a day, but we would much rather stay at the event location. The only problem we had was the date.

If anyone travelling to the event would like to make it into a longer stay and needs details of a local camping/caravan site let me know.

How can many many other caching teams make comments and we get a message saying the committee is taking all comments into consideration.

But if I make a comment I am publicly humiliated :laughing:

Please lets put this straight:

WE WANT TO GO TO THE MEGA EVENT IN HARROGATE, the only problem we had was the date.

If the date changes to 2ND AUGUST WE WILL BE AT THE MEGA EVENT, either staying on site or at a local caravan site.

If Robin takes me up on my offer of Mega Event Calendars I will be able to assist with funding too (this was not my idea innitially four seperate caching teams suggested a Mega Event Calendar to me!!)

These could be made to assist with funding or sold for charity.

Now does this really sound like I am being negative?

M :blink:

Edited by Us 4 and Jess

I don't normally have much time for the forums because I feel it is full of whingers and whiners.....I rest my case! bye

I had made a decision not to comment any more on this thread as 1) the date is up for review anyway :laughing: and 2) all the snipping is beginning to get negative and unhelpful and I'm sure very off-putting to the committee.

BUT comments like this one from the other side of the camp accusing people who DO care about this event being a success (why else would they bother to comment otherwise) are just as unhelpful and just continues to put peoples backs up. The so called "whingers and whiners" are only here BECAUSE they care.

I think it is now time to let the committee get on with the huge task ahead and stop all of this snipping.

Edited by Phillimore Clan

No, only if more pull out for no reason.

Just because people do not state a reason, do not assume there is none. There is a real world outside of caching that people need to consider.

There seems to be lots of comments flying around aimed at bullying people into going, they are just annoying people who would love to attend, but for whatever reasons cannot.

I would also like to say that the commitee are doing a great job on such a (at the moment) thankless task, and I support their endevours 100%. Whatever the date, and format of the event I hope it is a huge success.

So everyone, take a moment to post a big thank you to all involved for their efforts so far and let them get on with things knowing we are behind them, here is mine

:blink::lol::lol:THANK YOU TO ALL WHO ARE WORKING ON THE EVENT :laughing::D:D

First of all I hope the organizers do not get disheartened with all the negative postings and just give up completely. On a personal note I am glad that I will be off for both dates so will be making it down for it regardless. :blink::laughing:

While the date chosen may not of been my preferred choice I am not the one who is organizing it and I am sure the committee has had long discussions regarding the pros and cons of the date which would not of been an easy decision. But the date has been chosen and we should start pulling together to make it a success. If changing the date suits some people it will not suit other people and as it’s been said before they will not be able to keep everyone happy.

The organizer have my 100% backing in whatever decisions they make, remember it is not one person but a group of cachers trying to do their best for the UK geocaching community for something that has never been done before in the UK.