Power trails

I know that power trails are not permitted but generally the mods have been quite relaxed. It's been stated that this'll be the case till there is "proper" power trailling going on. Something like that, I think, my memory isn't too great :D And the mods have, as ever, been brill.

However, it seems that most weekends seem to be trailling now, which keeps cachers off the hills and off the nice walks. :D You used to be able to hide one cache, and people would flock to FTF. Now it seems you have to lay 4 or 5 out, or people won't bother.

I'm just wondering if maybe power trails should.... perhaps.... maybe..... be clamped down on a bit. :D

OK you don't need to find them, but everyone does, and it stops the big/difficult/multi caches being found any more. Jeremy has stated recently that he has been considering removing the number of cachers finds from cache listings, I expect it would just be on profiles instead. No doubt there would be uproar.

I know it's been discussed many times before and I'm honestly not wanting to stir it up, I've thought this for a couple of months now... have we reached cut-off point for trails? :D

I've been thinking the same myself, particularly in the North West. In fact we're at the point now that we have a few great ideas for caches, but know they will only get 2 or 3 visitors unless we surround them with other caches.

I'm not prepared to do that as I think it should be possible for a good cache to stand out on it's own and not just be say number 11 of 20 or whatever. If each cache is thought about individually and has something to offer then it makes it a good trail but all too often that's not the case.

One or two power trails in an region is probably no bad thing, but the sheer number of them is getting daft. People would rather go and find them because they can get a big amount of caches in a day without any proper planning.

I like doing all sorts of caches. I do like a power trail or two, particularly along a nice stretch of canal. I also like going for a nice long walk and picking up a few caches along the way. In fact, I've just bought some nice new boots for the winter and hope to get some walking in the Peak District done.

My point is that I like to do ALL sorts of caches. Variation is great and if all the caches in the world were difficult, in the middle of nowhere caches, then I think my enjoyment would be dampened and I certainly wouldn't be able to cache as much as I can now.

With regards to removing the No. of finds from cache listings - If it had to go I would prefer it if the number be changed to show what number find that cache was for you. - All my logs show that I've found 1393 caches, it would be nice if I could look at a log and see straight away what number find that was for me. (whilst keeping a total count on my profile page :D )

Jeremy has stated recently that he has been considering removing the number of cachers finds from cache listings, I expect it would just be on profiles instead. No doubt there would be uproar.

Not really on your original topic but this bit of your post struck me when I saw it.

For a while I've been idly planning to make a post (on the GC.com website forum, rather than here) suggesting just this. I just haven't had the time to research if/how many times it has been suggested (to judge exactly how many "Grr! this is the 100th time..." responses I'd get.)

I'd really like it if you could optionally make your caching history private. That is, your find counts don't appear on logs or on your profile, nor does your find history. Of course your logs would still be visible on individual caches/TBs but all profile info you could be made as private as you like.

My top priority would be to hide your caching history, gallery, TBs etc - find counts aren't of particular interest to me. Personally I'm not interested in whther it's my n'th find or my m'th but I appreciate that some are. I can't see the point in having them on logs, but hey ... they're there.

This is not something that has me gnashing my teeth - if I was that bothered I wouldn't log online - but if such a privacy option were offered I'd certainly switch it on.

I still may make my post one day, but I thought I'd comment on this bit of your post. Sorry for going OT a bit.

I don't know if it could be called a power trail or not but recently near me a set of 8 caches were put out on a 2 mile walk, it was a lovely walk and made a change to be able to do several caches in 1 hit. Usually I only manage 1 or 2 within the time limit I have (set by school hours), and this made a lovely change, it would be a change if they were stopped as in the more rural areas we normally have to travel several miles between caches. just my 2penneth worth :D

I like power trails lots of caches in a row when I am with the children because it saves getting them in and out of the car several times over, however they lose interest if they are trails of micros. The fun for them in caching is finding treasure in a box and swapping it for something they have brought along with them. A string of micros is great if you are out grabbing numbers, but I need something more exciting to keep the children amused. Do trails of caches have to be micros or in dull, uninventive places? We did a load of The Teddies caches recently and that was a circular walk in a pretty woodland area ... eight caches from one parking spot (I think) and they were all well stocked boxes. We managed to pick up a few standalone caches too that day so I guess for us a bit of variety is the key. :D

I think it comes back to that old issue of quality; who'd object to a trail of well hidden, well-thought-out, interestingly placed caches? I've done 'trails' of caches along canals, and found them individually 'so-so', but rewarding as a 20+ day out. Others were in dog toys, adding a quirky element that I liked. I do notice it's chains and clusters that get visitors from outside my area rather than the beautifully crafted multis I was/am known for (if I say so myself!) when I first started hiding caches in 2003. As a reaction to this, I'm less likely to hid 'large multis' in future, and may convert some of my old ones to a cluster of 'trad' micros to be walked, leading to a full-sized 'puzzle' final. It is all about the numbers for some people, and even those for who it's not about them won't say no to five finds where there used to be only one.

As for whether it's time to ban/discourage trails, I'd say no. Giving micro caches a different coloured cache page background to others would probably do the game more good- by warning people the cache they're considering doing is a little one that bit more clearly. In fact, why not have blue for a puzzle, yellow for a multi, green for a trad, white for a virtual and brown for an earth-cache? Micros of any type could be black, to match the 35mm so many are. Off topic, I know... :D

Edited by Simply Paul

Who will lead by example? ..... and who's Jeremy?

To quote from his profile page.

"Jeremy is the President and Co-founder of Groundspeak, Inc., the company that owns and operates Geocaching.com. Jeremy lives in the Seattle, Washington Area (aka The Emerald City)."

I like power trails lots of caches in a row when I am with the children because it saves getting them in and out of the car several times over, however they lose interest if they are trails of micros. The fun for them in caching is finding treasure in a box and swapping it for something they have brought along with them. A string of micros is great if you are out grabbing numbers, but I need something more exciting to keep the children amused. Do trails of caches have to be micros or in dull, uninventive places? We did a load of The Teddies caches recently and that was a circular walk in a pretty woodland area ... eight caches from one parking spot (I think) and they were all well stocked boxes. We managed to pick up a few standalone caches too that day so I guess for us a bit of variety is the key. :D

Exactly what we look for when planning our caching day, particularly now they're going to be in muddy wellies, wet coats, etc. Our 7 & 8 year old don't mind a walk of up to 7 miles but they need decent sized boxes along the way to keep the motivation going.

Who will lead by example? ..... and who's Jeremy?

To quote from his profile page.

"Jeremy is the President and Co-founder of Groundspeak, Inc., the company that owns and operates Geocaching.com. Jeremy lives in the Seattle, Washington Area (aka The Emerald City)."

Oh I see! Thanks!

.... tugs forelock, bows...

I think it comes back to that old issue of quality; who'd object to a trail of well hidden, well-thought-out, interestingly placed caches? I've done 'trails' of caches along canals, and found them individually 'so-so', but rewarding as a 20+ day out. Others were in dog toys, adding a quirky element that I liked. I do notice it's chains and clusters that get visitors from outside my area rather than the beautifully crafted multis I was/am known for (if I say so myself!) when I first started hiding caches in 2003. As a reaction to this, I'm less likely to hid 'large multis' in future, and may convert some of my old ones to a cluster of 'trad' micros to be walked, leading to a full-sized 'puzzle' final. It is all about the numbers for some people, and even those for who it's not about them won't say no to five finds where there used to be only one.

As for whether it's time to ban/discourage trails, I'd say no. Giving micro caches a different coloured cache page background to others would probably do the game more good- by warning people the cache they're considering doing is a little one that bit more clearly. In fact, why not have blue for a puzzle, yellow for a multi, green for a trad, white for a virtual and brown for an earth-cache? Micros of any type could be black, to match the 35mm so many are. Off topic, I know... :D

Personally I enjoy a long multi, so long as there is a big box at the end (eight stage multis with a micro for final get a thumbs down or greater).

Much appreciate the single number count to the hassle of tying numerous parts of a cluster...final...bonus together, and also like the smaller No. count for PQ download and GSAK updating.

Quality is considered preferential to quantity and I think a great deal will be lost if the quality cache setter changes to the cluster or trail option.

...I do notice it's chains and clusters that get visitors from outside my area rather than the beautifully crafted multis I was/am known for (if I say so myself!) when I first started hiding caches in 2003. As a reaction to this, I'm less likely to hid 'large multis' in future, and may convert some of my old ones to a cluster of 'trad' micros ...

Please no! Don't give in! :D Exactly my point as to why I think the time has perhaps come for trails of micros to be tightened up on :D

Edited by PopUpPirate

snipped

I'd really like it if you could optionally make your caching history private. That is, your find counts don't appear on logs or on your profile, nor does your find history. Of course your logs would still be visible on individual caches/TBs but all profile info you could be made as private as you like.

My top priority would be to hide your caching history, gallery, TBs etc - find counts aren't of particular interest to me. Personally I'm not interested in whther it's my n'th find or my m'th but I appreciate that some are. I can't see the point in having them on logs, but hey ... they're there.

We will go after a cache with DNF's if the cachers don't have a lot of finds, we think hard if DNF's are posted by cachers wiyh a high (ish) number of finds.

If one of our TB's is held 'a little longer' by a regular cacher -we don't worry, if it's a new cacher we do, and may sent an email to enquire!

The numbers do have their uses! :D

Power trails? Our best number of caches in a day is 14. 10 along a canal, and the others a distance away. Yes, we will do the caches that are not power trails, we're happy to only do 3 or 4 caches in a day -even 1 in a day if it's in a good location.

G

Hmmm I've been watching this one develop with interest.

Until I reached my 1000th cache, it really was about numbers, and I enjoyed going out and getting as mny caches as I could in a day.

That seems to have waned since the 1000th, and now I quite enjoy the odd cache here and the odd cache there. Heck - there have even been caching free weekends lately!!

I've power trailed a bit in the North West, and there are some that are nice... nice boxes, or interesting containers etc, but there are those that are not so good.

I've nothing against lots of caches close together, but for them all to be micros.... well, that's another matter!

I know that power trails are not permitted ... Jeremy has stated recently that he has been considering removing the number of cachers finds from cache listings, I expect it would just be on profiles instead. No doubt there would be uproar....

Power trail are ok. The issue is Cache saturation. When an area hits that magical point at which the approver raises an eyebrow and says to themselves "looks like we have a saturation situation" then there is a problem. Power trails are one of those things that are more likely to flex that eyebrow, than say the same number of caches in the same park but not in a line.

As for dropping the number of finds from logs, that was done one. There was an uproar. It was brought back in it's present form as a result. It's just handy to see when reading logs to keep things in perspective.

<snip>Until I reached my 1000th cache, it really was about numbers, and I enjoyed going out and getting as many caches as I could in a day.

That seems to have waned since the 1000th<snip>

I agree with you. My target for numbers is 1000 (300 and odd to go), but when I see people (and well done, people) with thousands I don't find it over-exciting to contemplate achieving the same. I'm pleased it's not just me.

As far as my own caches go, I'm actually removing as many of my micros as I can (mission nearly accomplished: one to go) and swapping them for larger containers. I also don't set any quick caches and mine are now going to be offsets or multis. Sadly, only one person has done the last multi I set a few weeks ago.

Been looking at my caches today after reading this thread.

Puzzles rarely visited (29 finds in nearly three years).

Two long strenuous multis a couple of visits a year (the older one has 16 finds in over 3 years).

Short Multi, rarely visited (44 finds in nearly 3 years).

Few lonesome trads, rarely visited (43 finds in nearly 3 years).

5 mile trail with 37 caches 10 of which are micros not many of which can be done as drive byes , well only looked at one and that has 133 finds (been out about 18 months).

Locals seem to prefer the moorland ones but grab the ones on the trail when the weather is not so great. Others travel 100's of miles to do the trail.

Seems to me there is a place for all types and depending on how I am feeling its nice to have the choice.

Now a micro in the woods that really is a different matter :D

Still plenty of places around here for all kinds of caches. Stonefielders seem to be finding some cracking places for caches on the moors.

<snip>Until I reached my 1000th cache, it really was about numbers, and I enjoyed going out and getting as many caches as I could in a day.

That seems to have waned since the 1000th<snip>

I agree with you. My target for numbers is 1000 (300 and odd to go), but when I see people (and well done, people) with thousands I don't find it over-exciting to contemplate achieving the same. I'm pleased it's not just me.

As far as my own caches go, I'm actually removing as many of my micros as I can (mission nearly accomplished: one to go) and swapping them for larger containers. I also don't set any quick caches and mine are now going to be offsets or multis. Sadly, only one person has done the last multi I set a few weeks ago.

OIIIIIIIIIIII I did it too I promised I would log it before Christmas :wub:

It seems to me (in the Durham area anyway) that no one is rushing out for FTFs anymore there is an unfound cache about 3 miles from me, it's been there over a week now, last year it would not have been there over night, I think we rushed too much at first too, we will not travel 20-30 miles for one cache, if we are going to go that far we want half a dozen caches or so to make a day of it.

I placed a multi 3 weeks ago and I think it has been found 3 times now, there seem to be too many caches and not enough cachers in Durham, I have plans for 2 more caches, but I am going to leave them now until next year as we seem to place caches we get a FTF and nothing more for weeks.

M :D

OIIIIIIIIIIII I did it too I promised I would log it before Christmas :wub:

Safari?

It seems to me (in the Durham area anyway) that no one is rushing out for FTFs anymore there is an unfound cache about 3 miles from me, it's been there over a week now, last year it would not have been there over night<snip>

Er, got it :D I did wait though! And I broke my dog. :D

It's the same answer as to every question regarding each type of cache, Quality.

I can think of several walks, paths and canals that have a series of caches along them. In some cases each cache deserves to be in existance on it's own merits. These are good as if I have a limited time I can grab one or two; or if time allows all of them.

However, like anything, sometimes there are one or two that exist purely as filler between good sites to keep you interested and on route.

In general I like them, just take care to not abuse the blind eye that is being taken.

We enjoy variety but have been frustrated by a number of multis with many stages. There is nothing worse than as you get near to the final stage to have a DNF (missing stage) preventing you from completing the cache. Thus after all the efforts you are not rewarded with any find despite finding many stages. At least with independent caches you get the satisfaction of logging your finds along the route.

Peter

Big boxes are fine, and the odd trail is fine, but a cache hunt is now inevitable a string of micros.

637 within 10 miles you get the idea. :D

I just checked, there's 28 caches (4 of which are mine) within 10 miles of my home! See, it's not that you need to get rid of power trails, you just need to move to the middle of nowhere :D If you're a numbers fan it could put you into cold turkey though!

Seriously though, round here I'm spoilt by the fact that there are plenty of great places to put a cache, and not too many local cachers cramming micros in every nook and cranny :wub: Of course, there are caches here that make you think "what made the placer think I would enjoy being brought to this location?" but they are definatly in the minority. I go out for a day's caching to find one cache. This may seem alien to you people from more heavily populated areas, but I think to go for a nice walk, with an ammo box at the end, is a good way to spend a day off. The most caches I've found in one day was 3, an earthcache and two letterbox hybrids on an (aborted) attempt on Cader Idris Summit. (we got half way and decided enough was enough, but finding the caches made us feel like we'd achieved something. If we had not been cachers, we'd have just had to turn around half way up having not reached any goal) I've not got anything against the idea of power trails, just like any other cache, it should be somewhere worth a visit.

Big boxes are fine, and the odd trail is fine, but a cache hunt is now inevitable a string of micros.

You need to move house. We have lots of caches down here, but it's not like that. I have 130 within 10 miles from home. Maybe you have a few prolific setters who could arhive all their caches? :D:wub::( (that was a joke)

If we are out of our area then it depends on the length of visit as to wether we do easy ones or multis. We often pick an area and do as many as we can in the time given, variety is nice as you get bored doing the same thing all the time. It was very noticeable that in certain parts of the country micro's seem to be the order of the day when it would have been feasible to place a small or even a regular sized cache. Are some parts of the country more likely to have the caches muggled than others? Personally I like a cache that has been thought out rather than just "plonked" to make up numbers, but other in our troop prefer cache and dashes. So each to your own and as long as their is a choice then everyone should be happy.

637 within 10 miles you get the idea. :)

You need to move house. We have lots of caches down here, but it's not like that. I have 130 within 10 miles from home. Maybe you have a few prolific setters who could arhive all their caches? :ph34r::surprise:;) (that was a joke)

A lot of these stats are indeed very regionalised (is that a word?)! I would say that at least 80%, and possibly nearer 90% of the caches within 7 miles of home (North Surrey) are puzzle caches, and these are 'proper' puzzle caches of the settee solving type, and most are VERY hard! I would LOVE some power trails in the area! The really annoying thing is that we started the whole thing off with one we placed early 2006!

To give you an idea, my GSAK window when I first open it has two trads and about 15-20 puzzles. Including some 5,5s! bring on the trads, even micros!

On a serious note, I have noticed that my own large multi caches (7 stage efforts) are very rarely found. I like to see people finding my caches, and people will always look for the 'easier' ones, and I think thats just human nature! I like solving hard puzzles, and my favourite cache ever is a local multi, but I also like some easy trads sometimes!

You need to move house. We have lots of caches down here, but it's not like that. I have 130 within 10 miles from home. Maybe you have a few prolific setters who could arhive all their caches? :ph34r::surprise:;) (that was a joke)

A very sensible suggestion ... moving house I mean :):D

Yeah! The odd trail is fun, and everyone can find whatever they like - that is of course up to the finder. My initial concern was that established cache-setters are unfortunately put-off from setting something out of the norm, because it is likely to get very few visits. OK, the logs will be great, but the fact that they are not getting set at all is a worry. I've had a few mischevious ideas for caches that I've been plotting and am not sure whether it's worth it, and at least two others in this thread could be quoted likewise. The large number of micro trails in my area is certainly imo starting to have a negative effect, probably more on setters than finders. :surprise:

I remember reading some online thing from 2 or 3 years back - the release of P&Ts Spectrum Series. Dunno if anyone has this on archive, but it was the recollection of a frantic race between 2 sets of cachers, tearing around the countryside to get FTF. This involved travelling around a pyramid of 7 caches that would take the best part of a day. Fantastic - but I couldn't see something similar - a big excited race - now...

Must admit I was wary of posting my "concerns" at all, thought it would all "kick off" so I'm glad it hasn't - cheers :ph34r:

We have noticed this as well but there is no stopping it now id guess after all people will plant like they find.

We are trying to plant caches that show, use or are something different, the visit logs come when they come (apart from one of them eh nediam ??) these are all planted under the lead by example ethos we currently have three in the planning stages and they will take us about two more months to set up

We just generally go after the types of caches we like its that realisation that your nearest unfound caches page will always be full no matter how many caches you find its just the distance column that changes.

I really like a trail of caches but I have to say down here in Devon we have some very good caches of late. It is not the size of the containers that have made it good it is the sheer imagination of containers used. This makes it for me. I have been to several recent ones where the containers have been briliant. Not going to give it away but I will say that they have made me jump and laugh. I really admire the time spent on them. This is as exciting for children too. I think it would be good to think of more and more unique containers. I think we all love them. Several in row with a theme as we found recently is even better. I only wish I could think of one. lol.

Power Trails? :ph34r:

What are they then? ;)

MrsB (in darkest SE Wales) :)

I'm with you Mrs B. What is the actual definition of a 'Power trail'?

Ar we talking ...

a single cache with many stages, or

a string of entirely seperate caches, or

a string of caches that give clues to a final cache which is dependant on finding all the others first?

Or could it be any of the above?

:surprise:

Cache Saturation

The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 metres) of another cache may not be published on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another. On the same note, don't go cache crazy and hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. If you want to create a series of caches (sometimes called a “Power Trail”), the reviewer may require you to create a multi-cache, if the waypoints are close together. A series of caches that are generally intended to be found as a group are good candidates for submission as a single multicache.

The cache saturation guideline applies to all physical stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, as well as any other stages entered as “stages of a multicache.” The guideline does NOT apply to event caches, earthcaches, grandfathered virtual and webcam caches, stages of multicaches or puzzle caches entered as “question to answer” or “reference point,” or to any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache. Within a single multicache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints.

from the guidleines

Cache Saturation

The reviewers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 metres) of another cache may not be published on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another. On the same note, don't go cache crazy and hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. If you want to create a series of caches (sometimes called a “Power Trail”), the reviewer may require you to create a multi-cache, if the waypoints are close together. A series of caches that are generally intended to be found as a group are good candidates for submission as a single multicache.

The cache saturation guideline applies to all physical stages of multicaches and mystery/puzzle caches, as well as any other stages entered as “stages of a multicache.” The guideline does NOT apply to event caches, earthcaches, grandfathered virtual and webcam caches, stages of multicaches or puzzle caches entered as “question to answer” or “reference point,” or to any “bogus” posted coordinates for a puzzle cache. Within a single multicache or mystery/puzzle cache, there is no minimum required distance between waypoints.

from the guidleines

Thanks - I'd not noticed that in the small print. Reminds me of all those Micros in Trees I did last weekend!!

Edited by careygang
Jeremy has stated recently that he has been considering removing the number of cachers finds from cache listings
How about adding the number of 'seeded finds' showing against the cacher name, as well as the number they have personally found? What I mean by a 'seeded find' (there's probably a better term for it) is the number of times your own caches have been found by other people. Therefore the size of your caching contribution back into the Geocaching community.

I like power trails lots of caches in a row when I am with the children because it saves getting them in and out of the car several times over, however they lose interest if they are trails of micros.
Have to agree with this, from two angles:-

1 - With two kids, you're lucky to drag them in and out of the car once, so a nice series within kiddy walking distance is great. :ph34r: We think of geocaching as a day out and a way of healthily amusing the kids.

2 - We should consider our carbon footprint. I shudder to think how many of us just drive all over the place from one single cache to the next, leaving a trail of oxides and hydrocabons..... Use your car less :surprise:

I never do micros with the kids they are 'just too boring'. I have done a few multi's but would never have the time to do a whole days worth due to odd working hours. There are loads of caches near me, quite a few micro's, but I prefer to do 'normal' caches as it is nice to exchange bits & bobs and to drop coins and tb's.

I will not travel to far to just get a cache but if I am in the area I will have a quick look.

What it boils down to is each to their own. If you 'need' to do numbers and not have children then carry on. If you have children they will probably like to have swapsies etc.

FBC

Jeremy has stated recently that he has been considering removing the number of cachers finds from cache listings
How about adding the number of 'seeded finds' showing against the cacher name, as well as the number they have personally found? What I mean by a 'seeded find' (there's probably a better term for it) is the number of times your own caches have been found by other people. Therefore the size of your caching contribution back into the Geocaching community.

So you proposing that we grade a cachers 'contribution back into Geocaching'?

OK then, how about minus points for all those mindless micros that are put out in woods and open country because the owners are bothered about numbers not quality. Nanos and Micros have their place, usually (but not exclusively) in areas where a larger container cannot be placed.

I would rather a cacher found 100 before putting out a really good cache, that have someone throw out a cache that took longer to submit than it did to both think of and place out. So NO, we should not 'seed' a cachers contribution.

I have no caches to my profile at the moment as they have been adopted because we are moving. But all of mine took weeks or months to find a good location, research some history, get permission, etc., not to mention paying maintenance visits after it was placed. :surprise:

Two long strenuous multis a couple of visits a year (the older one has 16 finds in over 3 years).

Ohh, I'll have to go and find those! The longer the walk the better - I did 18 km up and down Kinder scout a few weekends ago - ok I got 7 caches and 1 DNF for that, but the walk was what drew me there (Ok on the boggier bits of Knider it was the sink!).

If memory serves me right then my highest cache count was the whole of the Plough series in 1 day, quite a short walk.

Then again, 1 cache and a 14km walk, decending from 1700m to 1600m and the climbing to 2450m and back, just for one cache, that was more satisfying then any of the multiple cache grabs I have done. Me thinks Jerro might agree he did it a couple of days later!

Bonnie and I placed a 3 part multi on the 31st August '07, nothing difficult, just a walk of about 1.5 miles. It has been found 5 times until the 13th September '07 and thats it :P

Well over a month since the last find, all the logs say that its a great cache in a beautiful area but because there isn't a power trail or a large number of caches nearby, no-one has been bothered to come here.

Its very disappointing to be honest as its one of our better containers (a large ammo box) and even the 1st two parts are small not micros so everything is there but it doesn't seen to attract anyone anymore.

To be honest, we are seriously thinking about achieving the cache and replacing somewhere else.

This is not a case of taking our ball home by the way, just seems to be a case of quantity not quality at the moment.

(BTW I'm all for micro's, I've just come back from another caching trip up in Inverness and some of the micro's I did are classics, it just seems that some of the one around the N.W. seem to have been thrown out of the car window whilst passing)....

Then again, 1 cache and a 14km walk, decending from 1700m to 1600m and the climbing to 2450m and back, just for one cache, that was more satisfying then any of the multiple cache grabs I have done. Me thinks Jerro might agree he did it a couple of days later!

Is that what we did? It was the best cache I ever did. Must go back and put a TB in there next year. :-)

Bonnie and I placed a 3 part multi on the 31st August '07, nothing difficult, just a walk of about 1.5 miles. It has been found 5 times until the 13th September '07 and thats it :(

Well over a month since the last find, all the logs say that its a great cache in a beautiful area but because there isn't a power trail or a large number of caches nearby, no-one has been bothered to come here.

Its very disappointing to be honest as its one of our better containers (a large ammo box) and even the 1st two parts are small not micros so everything is there but it doesn't seen to attract anyone anymore.

To be honest, we are seriously thinking about achieving the cache and replacing somewhere else.

This is not a case of taking our ball home by the way, just seems to be a case of quantity not quality at the moment.

(BTW I'm all for micro's, I've just come back from another caching trip up in Inverness and some of the micro's I did are classics, it just seems that some of the one around the N.W. seem to have been thrown out of the car window whilst passing)....

Leave it out there, I wanna do it now!!! <_<

If all the quality "more difficult" caches get drawn back in, it will be a sad time for caching.

Bonnie and I placed a 3 part multi on the 31st August '07, nothing difficult, just a walk of about 1.5 miles. It has been found 5 times until the 13th September '07 and thats it B)

Leave the quality out there. When I set up the 'Grantham Scouts'series I made 'The Explorer' GCVMXJ a multi of 3 parts covering about 3 miles. It has had 28 visits in 18 months, only 9 this year, but all have been very praiseworthy of the cache. So it is Quality, not Quantity. Keep yours out even if it is infrequently visited.

Comments like this Very pleasent wander around the woods and paths, one of the best hunts so far make it all worthwhile...

:laughing:

Leave em active please it will take me a while to visit all the ones in this list B) ( i have a provate bookmark for these types when we spot them)

We have a few you may enjoy the trip out for :laughing: that have few visitors but great logs 11 stage multis are not that common. Snippets below.

Thanks for a really enjoyable cache - our favourite sort - Thanks for setting this up - we've had a really great day out.

I reckon (including the bonus) it was just under 7.5 miles.

WHen we set it we discussed the loggable stages approach but thought the logs would be pretty generic along found first stage onto the next crafty hide etc type. By suffering with fewer visitors we get better written logs which is something we really like.

Bonnie and I placed a 3 part multi on the 31st August '07, nothing difficult, just a walk of about 1.5 miles. It has been found 5 times until the 13th September '07 and thats it :laughing:

As one of the 5 cachers who has done the cache, I hope you keep it in its place as it's a very enjoyable one. I think in setting caches you have a choice- putting ones out that attract lots of visits and one line logs or few visits and longer logs. Personally, I wouldn't get much enjoyment setting the former type and generally don't get so much enjoyment finding them either.

Puzzles rarely visited (29 finds in nearly three years).

Short Multi, rarely visited (44 finds in nearly 3 years).

Few lonesome trads, rarely visited (43 finds in nearly 3 years).

5 mile trail with 37 caches 10 of which are micros not many of which can be done as drive byes , well only looked at one and that has 133 finds (been out about 18 months).

Locals seem to prefer the moorland ones but grab the ones on the trail when the weather is not so great. Others travel 100's of miles to do the trail.

Seems to me there is a place for all types and depending on how I am feeling its nice to have the choice.

Now a micro in the woods that really is a different matter :laughing:

Still plenty of places around here for all kinds of caches. Stonefielders seem to be finding some cracking places for caches on the moors.

I've done many of mongooses caches from the Oldham Way power trails to the strenuous multis. The latter are by far the best & most memorable.

We've now put out 32 & every cache has a specific purpose. Generally I've had the location in mind for some time as a good place to go to appreciate the area I live in.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our caches which is the driver for their placement.

I don't care if my caches get very few visits - so long as the cacher finds it & gives it a good write up.

Can the same be said by the cachers who lay power trails?

Its so easy to do - but a real dumbing down & lowering of the standard.

Instead of setting out my 32 caches over 12 months, I could as easily have chucked 32 micros down along a trail in a couple of hours.

We need some Geoquality. B)