Logging your Own Cache as FOUND

anakerose

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything so I'd thought I'd ask. There was some discussion amoungst my geocaching friends about whether you could log your own hides as found. Is that appropriate?

From the FAQ:

It is considered "bad form" to log a find on your own cache when you go for a maintenance check. The same is true if you re-visit another traditional cache, for example, to place or retrieve a travel bug. Use the "post a note" log option to record your visit in these circumstances.

I'm not sure if this has been covered before, but I did a search and couldn't find anything so I'd thought I'd ask. There was some discussion amoungst my geocaching friends about whether you could log your own hides as found. Is that appropriate?

The only time a "Found it" would be okay on a cache someone owns is if they "Adopted" it after they "Found it."

The only time a "Found it" would be okay on a cache someone owns is if they "Adopted" it after they "Found it."

Geez, I thought that the question was in regards to those caches that a person had hidden. :huh::rolleyes:

No, not the only time. It's also acceptable to log your own cache if it's one of the few surviving "moving caches", and it's been relocated since you first placed it.

It is not customary to log a Found when you visit your own cache.

However the rules are clear, the cache owner decides when their cache is Found and no one else has any place in determining what is and isn't a Find. If a cache owner says that they have found their own cache they have and I accept that since it is pretty difficult to argue with a fact.

Cache owners often log Attended for an Event cache they have listed, this is also another fact that is not subject to second guessing from the gallery.

So if you are asking about your own practices then the advice is sound but don't take the information you receive in this thread and expect to apply it anywhere except to your own geocaching record.

To clarify, when deciding what constitutes a Find the cache owner is the only authority, not this listing service, not the FAQ and certainly not the opinions of forum posters. This isn't always clear even to those who are experienced. There was a recent thread about a cache owner deleting logs because he didn't like the people who logged Found on his cache. A site Moderator actually suggested that a letter to Groundspeak was in order if the log was deleted for any reason other than that stated in the listing agreement. Apparently the Moderator was under the impression that Jeremy makes us all "play nice". :rolleyes:

The person comlaining had already written and received the official reply - The owner owns the cache and makes all the decisions about what constitutes a Find, that is the way it works.

So a Find is exaclty what the owner says it is and if an owner says that they have found their own cache, they have and no one has any right to suggest that they haven't.

However the rules are clear, the cache owner decides when their cache is Found and no one else has any place in determining what is and isn't a Find. If a cache owner says that they have found their own cache they have and I accept that since it is pretty difficult to argue with a fact.

Cache owners often log Attended for an Event cache they have listed, this is also another fact that is not subject to second guessing from the gallery.

So if you are asking about your own practices then the advice is sound but don't take the information you receive in this thread and expect to apply it anywhere except to your own geocaching record.

To clarify, when deciding what constitutes a Find the cache owner is the only authority, not this listing service, not the FAQ and certainly not the opinions of forum posters. This isn't always clear even to those who are experienced. There was a recent thread about a cache owner deleting logs because he didn't like the people who logged Found on his cache. A site Moderator actually suggested that a letter to Groundspeak was in order if the log was deleted for any reason other than that stated in the listing agreement. Apparently the Moderator was under the impression that Jeremy makes us all "play nice". :huh:

The person comlaining had already written and received the official reply - The owner owns the cache and makes all the decisions about what constitutes a Find, that is the way it works.

So a Find is exaclty what the owner says it is and if an owner says that they have found their own cache, they have and no one has any right to suggest that they haven't.

OK then, I won't "suggest it" I'll flat out say it: "It is not ok to log finds against your own hides. It is self-serving, silly, meaningless, irrelevant and cheesy beyond belief. Who would want to do such a thing? Better yet, why? :rolleyes:

Edited by Team Cotati

To clarify, when deciding what constitutes a Find the cache owner is the only authority, not this listing service, not the FAQ and certainly not the opinions of forum posters. This isn't always clear even to those who are experienced. There was a recent thread about a cache owner deleting logs because he didn't like the people who logged Found on his cache. A site Moderator actually suggested that a letter to Groundspeak was in order if the log was deleted for any reason other than that stated in the listing agreement. Apparently the Moderator was under the impression that Jeremy makes us all "play nice". :huh:

:rolleyes:

Just because you can log it, doesn't mean you should.

Suffice it to say that logging ones own hides is probably not the best form.

DCC

OK then, I won't "suggest it" I'll flat out say it: "It is not ok to log finds against your own hides. It is self-serving, silly, meaningless, irrelevant and cheesy beyond belief. Who would want to do such a thing? Better yet, why? :rolleyes:

Do you think that someone should force others to log in a fashion that is more amenable to you?

When you say this "It is not ok to logs finds against your own hides" you are just stating your opinion. Clearly those who do log their own caches do not share your opinion, you will just have to get over it because you have no control over them.

Your opinion isn't factored in when it isn't your record and it isn't your cache.

The facts are clear, people can do it, people do do it and anyone who thinks they have a place in controlling others is mistaken.

As a matter of interest perhaps you could explain what you think a Find is, I am interested because you clearly have an opinion and your opinion is not based in reality but upon some personal definition?

Here is my opinion When deciding what constitutes a Find the cache owner is the only authority, not Team Cotati.

Do you think that someone should force others to log in a fashion that is more amenable to you?

When you say this "It is not ok to logs finds against your own hides" you are just stating your opinion. Clearly those who do log their own caches do not share your opinion, you will just have to get over it because you have no control over them.

Your opinion isn't factored in when it isn't your record and it isn't your cache.

The facts are clear, people can do it, people do do it and anyone who thinks they have a place in controlling others is mistaken.

As a matter of interest perhaps you could explain what you think a Find is, I am interested because you clearly have an opinion and your opinion is not based in reality but upon some personal definition?

Here is my opinion When deciding what constitutes a Find the cache owner is the only authority, not Team Cotati.

It may surprise you to know I'm with the puritans on this one.

Groundspeak does not enforce online logs of caches. This is left up to the cache owner as part of the cache maintenance guidelines.

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

This does not give a cache owner carte blanche to award bonus finds or to delete valid finds. If a cache owner consistently abuses their power to police cache log, Groundspeak could archive the cache and lock the listing. (I know this to be true in at least one instance).

There are some rare instances where it makes sense to log your own cache. The example of the owner of a grandfathered moving cache logging a find after the cache has been rehidden by someone else is one of these. I also think it is reasonable to log an attended on your own event.

Some may feel that they deserve a find on their own cache if some previous finder hid it differently than it was originally hidden and the owner had to search for it when doing maintenance. I personally would not claim a find for this instance. Cache creep is part of any cache hide so having to find your own cache could be considered part of maintenance. Most of the times I've seen this however, the cache owner is posting a 'found it' to be humorous and not to inflate their numbers. I wouldn't worry too much if a cacher has posted a find on their own cache once as it really doesn't make any difference to the way I play the game.

Wow! LOTS of angst here!

As time goes on, I have heard tales of different types of caching aroud the country. For example, people who log numerous "attended" logs to one event so that they can get credit for multiple temporary caches placed the day of the event. While I may consider this cheesy because we choose not to practice this in our area, others may find it to be the norm in their part of the country.

Some choose to log "attended" on event listings that they themselves have listed with the service. A slight variation on a theme, but one that we do follow in this part of the country. What would happen if I listed an event, but then for some reason was unable to attend? Would I log an "attended"? Absolutely NOT.

I know of still others who only choose to log ALL finds on Geocaching.com as notes and not Found It, Did Not Find It, etc. etc. Their choice.

I HAVE actually logged ONE cache that I HELPED to place. A friend of mine and I had the same idea for a cache and after much brainstorming decided to place the cache. He told me that I could list the cache, as well as maintain it. On the day the cache was placed, I might as well have been a rock. All I did was stand around and shout encouragement from far below. Never did see the can after it left my hands, he took the readings on the GPSr, secured the container where it was to be left, and proceeded to drop from the heavens afterward.

After the cache was listed and others had found it, a group decided to attempt to "find" the cache after one of our meet and greets. Yes, I "Attended" that as well! Since I had never actually seen the hide and was only an owner of the listing, and with my friend's blessing I claimed a smiley! Well earned and until that time the toughest cache find physically that I've found.

Just my two cents. :rolleyes:

FLAME ON!!!

The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings.

The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements.

For new geocachers it is important to realize that opinions may not reflect reality. A case in point is a new geocacher asking "Is it customary to log your own caches as found." The short answer is clearly, no it is not customary. That isn't complete information and it could be important for new geocachers to know the actual facts rather than someones opinion because we canot know how they intend to apply the information.

The fact is that geocachers can and do log Finds on their own caches. I know for certain that one geocacher who does this on purpose is simply placing a chip on his shoulder and if a new geocacher was to say anything the response would be very negative because it really is none of their business.

In fact, a cachers Find count is entirely between them and the owners of the caches they have found. In some cases it goes even further, it is entirely their own making. There are geocachers who log finds on their own caches in order to make their numbers align with the caches they think they have found, they log one of their own caches each time a Find log they left gets deleted by a cache owner. Logs get deleted for all sorts of reasons, if someone logs one of my caches and says "I forgot my pencil" I don't worry about it but some owners feel compelled to delete such logs.

The short anwer is not the correct one, new geocachers should know that the only authority is the cache owner. This listing service may choose to repeal/archive/lock a listing but they will not choose to exercise control over a listing. As soon as they exercise day to day control they will become the de facto owner of the listing, at that point they are the content provider and lose the legal shielding afforded all online services.

LOL OK I get it, don't log your own cache. Did I open a can of worms here? I wasn't planning on it because what would be the point. You have a star on it anyways.

:huh: Thanks for the entertainment!

of course this kind of thread will always crop up - it's the Getting Started forum for goodness sake.

I just adopted a cache that I've never found yet. When I find it, I intend to log it as found.

LOL OK I get it, don't log your own cache. Did I open a can of worms here? I wasn't planning on it because what would be the point. You have a star on it anyways.

Lots of folks on here have 50,000 forum posts but they've only found a few caches. They get bent out of shape and forget that this is the getting started forum. We were all beginners at one time.

I just adopted a cache that I've never found yet. When I find it, I intend to log it as found.

I have 2 of those - been going on 2 years since I adopted them too - just never any maintenance issues and I always seem to forget to stop when I go by.

I have 2 of those - been going on 2 years since I adopted them too - just never any maintenance issues and I always seem to forget to stop when I go by.

:P Yeah, it may be a while before I get to mine, too. Unless I need to do maintenance. I'd like to find it before that, though, because if someone says that it's missing and I go looking for it and can't find it, who knows if it really isn't there, since I've never found it? I'll see if I can look for it next time I'm in the area.

The website has an issue in that if you co hide a cache only one of you will show up as "owning the cache".

I've seen the co-hider log the cache as a find since they don't get credit as an owner. I've done that in the past when I wanted total hide/find number to be accurate. Now I don't care and just ignore the cache if I'm the co-hider. Some people consider this a no no as well.

I wish the site would allow co-hides that count as being owned by all parties. For one thing you could contact all parties more easily if there is a cache problem.

Lots of folks on here have 50,000 forum posts but they've only found a few caches. They get bent out of shape and forget that this is the getting started forum. We were all beginners at one time.

This is certainly the place to ask questions and i agree that this question is valid, depending on the circumstances. Such things as having your name on the cache and claiming the find after someone else hid it while you weren't looking or claiming the find on a cache you adopted are questions that are hard to answer. I don't think there is a right answer so you have to choose what you feel is right for you.

On the other hand, i've seen the question brought up where the person asked if he or she could log, with no extenuatiing circumstances, a cache that they hid themselves. I don't mean to belittle anyone but i can't for the life of me, figure out why this question is ever asked. Matters not whether it's a newbie or a seasoned cacher, the answer should be obvious to everyone. :P

The website has an issue in that if you co hide a cache only one of you will show up as "owning the cache".

I've seen the co-hider log the cache as a find since they don't get credit as an owner. I've done that in the past when I wanted total hide/find number to be accurate. Now I don't care and just ignore the cache if I'm the co-hider. Some people consider this a no no as well.

I wish the site would allow co-hides that count as being owned by all parties. For one thing you could contact all parties more easily if there is a cache problem.

I agree. I've logged the caches that I "co-own" because I want the cache in one location or the other - hid or found. Since the site doesn't give the option to have more than one owner, they're logged as found.

...I just adopted a cache that I've never found yet. When I find it, I intend to log it as found.

Most normal folks do that the other way around. Find it first then adopt it. :P I've got one or two of those.

Still I think you have one of those exceptions that's going to look cheezy, but is perfectly valid.

I've done it both ways. A couple years ago, I adopted the second cache that I had ever found. It's now the 7th oldest cache in Washington state.

This other one is because a local cacher recently decided to archive all (I think it was all) of his caches, and gave people the option to adopt them. I scanned through his caches and found an older one with great logs and pictures in an area that I found one of my first caches in, and it's a cache that I link to in my favorites bookmark. So because I felt it was a cache worthy of continuing on, and because it had sentimental value for me, I chose to adopt it without having found it first.

And yes, I'm sure people will find fault in me finding it, but of course that doesn't bother me one bit. :):):D

I've adopted caches I haven't found before. (and adopted ones I have found). I figure I get credit for either finding or owning.

Well wait a minute, would I delete my previous find since I now own it. hmmm, no. And I did adopt back out a cache I had adopted before finding it. I did maintenance on it but I now plan on going back out to sign the logbook and claim a find.

So I guess I can't really argue about logging a find on a previously unfound adopted cache.

Sorry, nevermind. Halfway through typing this I realize I have no issue to discuss. (No, I'm not interested in discussing the 'log your own hide' thing at this time)

Carry on!

I've adopted caches I haven't found before. (and adopted ones I have found). I figure I get credit for either finding or owning.

Well wait a minute, would I delete my previous find since I now own it. hmmm, no. And I did adopt back out a cache I had adopted before finding it. I did maintenance on it but I now plan on going back out to sign the logbook and claim a find.

So I guess I can't really argue about logging a find on a previously unfound adopted cache.

Sorry, nevermind. Halfway through typing this I realize I have no issue to discuss. (No, I'm not interested in discussing the 'log your own hide' thing at this time)

Carry on!

:) It's a good thing I like you. :P

Carry on!

All that and lost his Avatar too....... :)

I'll give Team Cotati the gold star here:

"It is not ok to log finds against your own hides. It is self-serving, silly, meaningless, irrelevant and cheesy beyond belief. Who would want to do such a thing? Better yet, why? :)

"Cheesy beyond belief"

Thanks for summarizing everything into black and white. Us and them.

I log my own events, I 'attended' so therefore I log em. Is that really so evil?

I agree. I've logged the caches that I "co-own" because I want the cache in one location or the other - hid or found. Since the site doesn't give the option to have more than one owner, they're logged as found.

I do this too.

...I just adopted a cache that I've never found yet. When I find it, I intend to log it as found.

Most normal folks do that the other way around. Find it first then adopt it. :) I've got one or two of those.

Still I think you have one of those exceptions that's going to look cheezy, but is perfectly valid.

I've done it both ways. A couple years ago, I adopted the second cache that I had ever found. It's now the 7th oldest cache in Washington state.

This other one is because a local cacher recently decided to archive all (I think it was all) of his caches, and gave people the option to adopt them. I scanned through his caches and found an older one with great logs and pictures in an area that I found one of my first caches in, and it's a cache that I link to in my favorites bookmark. So because I felt it was a cache worthy of continuing on, and because it had sentimental value for me, I chose to adopt it without having found it first.

And yes, I'm sure people will find fault in me finding it, but of course that doesn't bother me one bit. :P:):sad:

It's not really your cache so I don't see a problem with that either.

Most normal folks do that the other way around. Find it first then adopt it. :sad: I've got one or two of those.

And yes, I'm sure people will find fault in me finding it, but of course that doesn't bother me one bit. :):o:P

It's not really your cache so I don't see a problem with that either.

:)

On both the caches I adopted, under the owner it says, "a cache by So and So (maintained by Ambrosia)". I feel that it keeps the history.