Geocoins in Caches

KBsta

Is it me? or are people not placing coins in caches as much?

I know they can get kinda pricey, but personally, I think they are what people look for now in caches. I always place a coin in a cache (small-reg sized) that I hide. I never like taking a coin unless I can replace w/ another. I have, but I try not to.

The paper photocopy's..........???? Gimme a Break. and the plastic copies....again....gimme a break.

People are getting lazy about what they leave in there...not all, but a lot. I went to one cache, and all that was in there was what appeared to be chewed up McD's Meal toys.

I also saw a cache called a Geocoin express, several people went there to trade coins, and it was EMPTY.

TB's are not getting moved much either.

The thrill of the hunt....good...... but swag is better! Just My opinion.

I know they can get kinda pricey, but personally, I think they are what people look for now in caches. I always place a coin in a cache (small-reg sized) that I hide. I never like taking a coin unless I can replace w/ another. I have, but I try not to.

The paper photocopy's..........???? Gimme a Break. and the plastic copies....again....gimme a break.

People are getting lazy about what they leave in there...not all, but a lot. I went to one cache, and all that was in there was what appeared to be chewed up McD's Meal toys.

I also saw a cache called a Geocoin express, several people went there to trade coins, and it was EMPTY.

I think it depends on the area you live in. I leave ALOT of geocoins in the caches where I live. I always leave them in the caches I place and in caches I have enjoyed (along with all sorts of petroglyph type items I hand make). I was just telling a friend of mine a couple weeks ago about an experience I had with a geocoin. There was a new cache placed close to where I live, so after the mad rush was over for the FTF, I waited about a week and then looked for the cache. I opened it up and on the bottom of the ammo can, I could see what looked like a geocoin. I was soooo excited and when I moved all the Mcjunk out of the way, I saw my own Raiders of the Lost Cache geocoin in there. At first I was disappointed but then after I gave it some thought, I realized that I'm pretty lucky here. I always write on the coins that if they already have one, please leave it in the cache or place it in a new one, don't keep more than one. So, obviously there are some honest cachers around here. Most aren't into coins like me but still....they could steal them and sell them. Then I had to laugh, I think I've saturated the Helena caches with my coins, lol. So if you want to find lots of coins, come to Helena, MT :cry:

~tsun :cry:

Well I dunno bout that...I was out on 40 + cache run on Sunday and dropped 10 or 11 traveling coins...plus some of my own personals. :cry:

Now about the photocopy's that just might be a regional thing, I've been down in Southeast TX for over two years now and have never seen the likens of photocopy. Only the real thing down here baby! :cry:

Good luck on your coin finding ventures...and have great day

Pepper

I've been leaving real coins pretty regularly for the last year+. It was kind of nicce at an event recently, when I introduced myself a couple of people said, "Oh, yeah, I've been seeing your coins."

But yesterday I was going through my list to see what was up with some that haven't moved in a long time. After checking logs and such I've listed four as "missing/" Not a bad ratio, but that's $40 or more. I don't mind doing it for the caching community, but it sure burns me if I'm feeding someone else's collection at my expense!

Nevertheless, I activated 10-15 coins yesterday in anticipation of my vacation trek to the Black Hills.

Welcome to geocaching..... more and more people are joining the game, learning about geocoins and not really knowing what to do with them. Rgbgal and I are constantly emailing folks about logging out the coins they pick up and encouraging those who pick up our swag coins to trade fairly for them. And to make matters worse there is a difference between coins that are keepers (swag or mystery gifts) and movers... a difference not apparent in the field to a noob.

Nevertheless we continue to fuel the fires of excitement for others coming behind us. That's what makes the game so fun. Strangers doing things for the next finders to make the experience more fun. On this trip we're on we've brought over 2 dozen coins to give away, release or move along - not a single proxy in the bunch. But then we also like to leave the caches we find in better shape than we find them in.

You're right, many don't care and take, take, take. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to join them or work against them to keep the game fun for those who walk in your wake.

I find a lot of coins in caches still. I have even seen the photo copies. I think they are made because coins , real ones, seem to come up missing alot. One one likes to keep copies. I've also have seen in the past that people are drilling a hole in there geo coin and tagging it, I guess that too keeps them going, they must think no one whats to keep a coin that's not "Mint" condition.

I am new to geocaching , and have just found my first Canadian coin and redepositied it after hating to do it. It was such a beautiful coin. How do I know which are the ones that you mention are keepers and ones that are for recirculation? ( I thought they are were. ) I see so many people talking about their c ollections. Are they just keeping them ?? What is the real deal on coins. I just got a micro today, that really through me off as it is travelertags.com. I have been reading about that now. Waterski

There are also WAY more caches being put out then there used to be, which is coin to spread the coins thinner. I think there are more coins being put out than ever, it's just that it can't keep up with the caches being placed.

I don't think people have a problem with moving coins and travel bugs. I think cachers tend to visit new caches.

Where are travelers placed? I'd like to hear your opinion, please.

I've dropped lots of coins - not just mine. I don't keep tabs on all of them but i think only 2 lost so far. One has just about finished its mission! I was so stoked I've sent two coins to join it via post as prizes at the event it has landed in.

Anyway I like to drop coins off in a mixture - difficult or extra special caches, scenic caches with lots of photos in the gallery or ones they can catch a ride out of easily along a major route.

<snip for space>

Well, I would love to find and place coins in caches, but the problem in my area is that most caches are micros and are just too small to hold coins or TBs. So that really limits placing these movers.

I am new to geocaching , and have just found my first Canadian coin and redepositied it after hating to do it. It was such a beautiful coin. How do I know which are the ones that you mention are keepers and ones that are for recirculation? ( I thought they are were. ) I see so many people talking about their c ollections. Are they just keeping them ?? What is the real deal on coins. I just got a micro today, that really through me off as it is travelertags.com. I have been reading about that now. Waterski

Welcome to caching! I've not had a whole lot of experience with geocoins yet, but have noticed them appearing in caches in my area lately. I even dropped my first off in a cache a couple months ago, but haven't heard from it yet.

As for your questions:

There are several types of coins. Most of them fall into one of two categories: 1) trackable and 2) untrackable.

The trackable ones work a lot like travel bugs. Each has a unique tracking number that you enter on geocaching.com (or another website if the coin indicates that instead). These coins will sometimes have instructions or goals attached to them, or they might have instructions on the coin page once you enter the code online. These coins (unless the instructions say otherwise) are meant to travel, so you shouldn't keep them. You should place them in another cache soon after you pick them up.

The untrackable coins will not have a tracking code on them, so they cannot be entered online. Unless they have instructions with them that ask you to place them in a cache or something, they are yours to keep or to pass on as you choose.

Sometimes people will leave unactivated coins in caches as trade items. These are a bit tricky, as you don't necessarily know when you pick them up that they are to be traded for rather than just picked up to move along to another cache. If someone leaves an unactivated coin, it is yours to use as you wish. You might want to check to make sure that they intended to leave an unactivated coin in the cache if you are able to tell who it was who left it.

Collections are *generally* made up of coins that people have purchased, traded for, or received as gifts. I'm sure there are some people out there with collections of stolen coins, but that is not a generally acceptable practice.

We have noticed an increase in the number of coins checking into the Wildwood TB Lodge recently. Also noticed that some cachers are drilling holes in the coins to attach a tag, accomplishing 2 things. First a secure mission tag for the coin and secondly the coin is no longer of any value to a collector/thief.

2bugs

<snip for space>

Well, I would love to find and place coins in caches, but the problem in my area is that most caches are micros and are just too small to hold coins or TBs. So that really limits placing these movers.

This new philosophy of Swag > Hunt is not growing on me. I think the geocaching community has evolved - or should I say, devolved - in the 5 years since I started. Original caches, belive it or not, used to be all about the swag. The first caches in fact often had $100 bills for FTF, just as an incentive to get people into the sport. As FTF bacame an elusive goal and maintaining this swag became expensive, the generation of "Thinkers" came along, who didn't see just good places for a cache, but a good reason to place a cache. Of course this led to things like virtuals and puzzle caches, and caching was a sport of the mind with a mission.

Looking back through my logs from 2002, in three pages of caches all but 5 were normal sized caches. By comparison, in my newest three pages of caches here in California there are only 12 normal ones - and I make it a point to look for them first. It seems I spend lots of time beating through random scrub only to find a novelty nano-cache stuck to a sewer marker post. TNLNSL. Shrinking caches open the door for the new commercialized cacher to add meaning to the hide through ever-shrinking hitchhikers like coins and micro-coins as the purposeful, roomy cache is becoming an endangered species.

What this means for TBs and Geocoins is simply that they have now become the purpose of the cache - geocoins more so with their custom icons and small size - and their value has increased for the neo-cacher. It seems that if you place a cache today only the numbers-cachers will hit it unless you stick a trackable in it. Is that bad? I don't think so. I think it's just defining a new breed of geocacher, and a well-thought-out geocache with ample trading space will draw logs almost as quickly as it did in the old days. There is some truth to the fact that cachers are getting a bit lazier though. My 3-star multicache drew 26 finds in 2002 and only 16 in the past 12 months. The numbers would probably go up if I put trackables in it regularly, but the find is the prize, not the swag.

So to your original question, not all cachers will move a coin because it's not what they cache for. Likewise there's nothing wrong with the Happy Meal toys, that's what swag used to be before TBs, and it keeps many a geocaching family happy when their little microcachers get a keepsake at the end. If your specific taste for caching is geocoins then you simply need to narrow your search to caches that can hide them. Geocaching accommodates many different mindsets today, and I personally think they've done well by it.

OK, I'm still fairly new to caching (1 year/160+ finds). I'm getting a bit frustrated with my own released coins and I only have six out there! One floated away with the cache when the river where the cache was located flooded, another has apparently gone missing (a chacher was nice enough to post they had visited the cache where it was supposed to be to "discover it", but it is not there) and a third has been in the hands of the same person for over a month. Not very good odds. Yes I know, I can e-mail the person who has it, and try and tactfully ask them to move it along (which I will do shortly if they don't move it).

OK, now that my whining is out of the way....I really want to release more coins. I read recently about ideas for etching on the side of the coin (not sure how I will do this?) and also drilling a hole in the coin and attaching the sheet about what the coin is and that it needs to be moved along. I'd love to release more, but if my odds don't improve, it's going to get to expensive, I'll have to stop. Anyone tried these ideas and think they work any better?

Since I'm fairly new to geocaching, I don't think I have the experience to state whether there or more geocoins now than whenever.

Does an OP have the ability perform a massive query to see how many geocoins are hidden? I realize it would be theoretical, as some coins still say they are in a cache, but they are not actually there.

Which brings me to a question - How does a geocoin get marked as missing? Is it the responsibility of the geo-coin ower? I have tried to add a note in the cache log if the inventory is different than what I find it.

I know when I started, seeing a Geocoin in a cache was very rare. That was just over 2 years ago.

Today, I seem to see more and more of them. If you are interested, look at my profile, 90% of those listed have been found in caches and moved (not discovered). I also have put out a bunch myself, not including non-trackable sig items.

For example, firetruckflyer puts in a coin at all caches he can. Of course, he logs his caches a little later to avoid having people follow him and take all the coins!

As for marking them missing, both the cache owner and the coin owner can mark them missing.

I know when I started, seeing a Geocoin in a cache was very rare. That was just over 2 years ago.

For example, firetruckflyer puts in a coin at all caches he can. Of course, he logs his caches a little later to avoid having people follow him and take all the coins!

I think I like firetruckflyer's idea, except maybe you don't log the coin at all until it's been discovered. What if finding a trackable coin in a cache was a bonus and not the objective? I persoanlly get a greater satisfaction from finding a coin or TB in a cache where I wasn't expecting one than nabbing one I set out for from a listing. After all, if you're only going after a geocache for the coin then you're "geocoining", not geocaching, aren't you?

I guess the big question is, can the Groundspeak tracker sort out mixed-up entries like that? If I log a coin into a cache *after* it's been logged discovered (using correct dates, of course), will the coin show up in the cache or in the new finder's hands?

Obviously it would only be courteous to let the coin owner know what you were doing and where you've placed it so they don't think you've stolen it. Thoughts?

When we started last year, seeing a coin was rarity. We would purposely add a cache to our list to find for the day because it had a coin in it we had never seen before! We now compile lists of 50 or more to go on a hunt for a day. We cache until we are too tired to continue. (this was at 1 in the morning on our last excursion!) We all three get excited when we find a traveler and usually move them.

Geocoins have definately shown up more here lately. My enthusiasm has been a bit dampened however. I can not with a clear conscious leave a traveler in a cache that has been stolen from more than once, is prone to being muggled, poorly placed and subject to damage from the elements, rarely visited..... Travelers should do just that. The owners released them to travel, not be traded for in caches or become some one elses keepsake. I have a found a growing number of caches that ask that no McDonalds toys be left in them OR that the cacher not take a travel item without leaving one. My son loves the little toys. He carries his own bag of toys to trade for and is often disappointed with the contents of caches these days. Can't say that I blame him. We refill caches when we can BUT that is not something I'm trying to make a habit out of!

This weekend: Found two caches - dropped two coins <_<

I see more and more coins but maybe it's a regional thing. There's no shortage of coins and/or TBs around here. Good luck on finding more and don't worry about taking one if you don't have one to trade. Owners want them to move, not sit around because they can't be traded for.

<snip for space>

This new philosophy of Swag > Hunt is not growing on me. I think the geocaching community has evolved - or should I say, devolved - in the 5 years since I started. Original caches, belive it or not, used to be all about the swag. The first caches in fact often had $100 bills for FTF, just as an incentive to get people into the sport. As FTF bacame an elusive goal and maintaining this swag became expensive, the generation of "Thinkers" came along, who didn't see just good places for a cache, but a good reason to place a cache. Of course this led to things like virtuals and puzzle caches, and caching was a sport of the mind with a mission.

Looking back through my logs from 2002, in three pages of caches all but 5 were normal sized caches. By comparison, in my newest three pages of caches here in California there are only 12 normal ones - and I make it a point to look for them first. It seems I spend lots of time beating through random scrub only to find a novelty nano-cache stuck to a sewer marker post. TNLNSL. Shrinking caches open the door for the new commercialized cacher to add meaning to the hide through ever-shrinking hitchhikers like coins and micro-coins as the purposeful, roomy cache is becoming an endangered species.

What this means for TBs and Geocoins is simply that they have now become the purpose of the cache - geocoins more so with their custom icons and small size - and their value has increased for the neo-cacher. It seems that if you place a cache today only the numbers-cachers will hit it unless you stick a trackable in it. Is that bad? I don't think so. I think it's just defining a new breed of geocacher, and a well-thought-out geocache with ample trading space will draw logs almost as quickly as it did in the old days. There is some truth to the fact that cachers are getting a bit lazier though. My 3-star multicache drew 26 finds in 2002 and only 16 in the past 12 months. The numbers would probably go up if I put trackables in it regularly, but the find is the prize, not the swag.

So to your original question, not all cachers will move a coin because it's not what they cache for. Likewise there's nothing wrong with the Happy Meal toys, that's what swag used to be before TBs, and it keeps many a geocaching family happy when their little microcachers get a keepsake at the end. If your specific taste for caching is geocoins then you simply need to narrow your search to caches that can hide them. Geocaching accommodates many different mindsets today, and I personally think they've done well by it.

I hope you didn't get the impression from my post that I'm into swag more than the find. It's certainly not my caching philosphy.

I don't go out caching for the purpose of finding a coin or TB. Just like I no longer go out and hunt micros or caches that placed in areas we don't care to visit (guardrails, deadend streets etc). I want the long hikes, the beautiful vistas, the history..something more. If I can find or place a TB at one of these types of caches we certainly do so. But its not our primary goal to cache.

I think I like firetruckflyer's idea, except maybe you don't log the coin at all until it's been discovered. What if finding a trackable coin in a cache was a bonus and not the objective? I persoanlly get a greater satisfaction from finding a coin or TB in a cache where I wasn't expecting one than nabbing one I set out for from a listing. After all, if you're only going after a geocache for the coin then you're "geocoining", not geocaching, aren't you?

To be clear, I was talking about Personal/Non-Trackable Geocoins.

Here is how I play them trackables:

1. If its a TB, and the goal is attached I will move it only if I can help it with its goal otherwise I discover it and leave it for another cacher.

2. If its a geocoin I will usually pick it up unless it was not logged into the inventory of a cache. At which point I will only discover the coin / place it in the cache I found it in. If I pickup the coin then I will help it with its goal if can.

So far I have been lucky so far as I have recently released my first 2 coins into the world...

The goal of my first coin was to visit every continent, and another cacher picked it up and passed it to his cacher friend that goes to Japan frequently. So its off to a good start.

The goal of my second coin was to visit every State in the union. I dropped it in Project APE cache where someone picked it up and is taking it cross country to NY.

I have a third coin but this one is my personal coin that I will carry with me to dip in caches I visit for mileage fun.

When I think of some new goals I will buy a few more coins to release, along with some TB tags to attach to some objects.