Geocaching with a dog?

My dogs go with me on any cache that dogs can come on. In fact, I usually try to plan my hunts on caches that are dog friendly.

However, the dogs usually don't appear to be interested in looking for a cache, just sniffing and checking everything and anything in the area. :blink:

I have heard of people training their dogs to seek the cache, but mine don't.

My dogs never did master finding a cache. They could find burrs, mud and smelly things to roll in...just not a cache.

Hey, did you find my dogs. LOL

I can relate to that, I usually have to find a nearby lake to let the dogs get cleaned up before I can bring them home.

They are what really what caching is about, getting out and just exploring what this beautiful earth has to offer.

Hi I am new to geocaching and had a quick question for geocaching dog owners. Have you ever had you dog find a cache? On purpose or not? Is it possible to teach a dog to find them? I don't have a dog so I don't know.

Thanks

Michael Kane

Well, my daughter used my dog to point out a cache I'd hidden. Unfair! Sure made it easy for the girl. LOL.

But.. yes I have heard of one person who has a s&r dog she takes caching and the dog finds caches. Pretty neat that. Do not know what the percentage of finds is but any help at all is good and it is probably good practice for the dog.

Hi I am new to geocaching and had a quick question for geocaching dog owners. Have you ever had you dog find a cache? On purpose or not? Is it possible to teach a dog to find them? I don't have a dog so I don't know.

No. But she's great at leading me to dead things. So far a deer, squirrels and a coyote. Fingers-crossed it doesn't get any worse than that. :blink:

Thanks

Michael Kane

I'm not sure about using other K9s for the finding of caches, but the BiPeds sure do come in handy :blink: ! You know the retrieving, logging and such. Sometimes I find it dififcult without opposing thumbs to hold the pen :lol: .

:lol: Our dog Buster loves to go on GEO Cache hunts with us. He's better at finding the hiding places then we are. We recently started a series called " The Bones Series" here in the North Vancouver area. We found some plastic bones at our local dollar store, large enough to place a log and a few trade items inside them. We are currently up to Bones #4 and are ready to place Bones #5 out in the field soon. So far we are getting some good reviews from the other cacher's. We prefer dog friendly parks and our dog Buster is always ready to check out a new doggy park. Don't know about training dogs to find GEO Caches but our dog know what it means when I grab the GPSr and backpack :D

Here is our GEO Dog Buster.

Edited by northvan

When my yorkies aren't laying in their dog bed or teasing the cat they love to go caching with me. Of course it's much more about trying to chase critters or getting burrs in their coats than looking for a tupperware box, but they like it anyway. Actually they probably prefer camping but what the hey.

hairball

Moxie is the third member of our team and has been with us for 99% of our finds. She's only ever found a few on her own. She's usually more concerned with following her nose, tracking squirrels, chipmunks, deer, and once she even alerted us to a couple of bear cubs! (Stood on her hind feet, nose in the air, intently sniffing and gazing in their direction!) She's also usually busy marking the trail. This is where she has to take up the slack for the team, because we humans have done very little to help on this important matter. :lol: (Yes, we bag and remove her "solid" leavings.) She loves hiking with us. All dogs who geocache are lucky dogs indeed!

Here she is, surveying the surroundings.

39556372-ca75-4ace-a131-09fd444f8f24.jpg

I have had dogs find caches for me...accident or intent I'm not sure. The first time was my roommates Lab Border Collie X Bongo. Bongo actually showed me two caches. One was a micro and he was just nosing in a tree when I went to see what he was checking out the micro was right above his nose. :lol: The other time Bongo actaully seemed to be looking for the cache...he began pawing/digging at a brushy overgrown area and when I went over there was the ammo box.

My own Border Collie pup Broughti has also pointed out a cache...I'd say coincidence but I had other geocaching friends with me and they thought it was cool when they saw he was right by the cache.

As for training a dog to find them...they seek drugs etc at airports....I guess it could be done.

We take our dog Trixie with us most of the time. She hasn't found any caches either but she does provide a good cover story for two people out wandering around in parks and at rest areas. Trixie always knows when we are getting ready to go . . . sseing the backpack and GPSr get her all excited for the trip.

She also enjoys sniffing, peeing and trying to roll in smeely things. Is there a dog who doesn't.

We take our dog Trixie with us most of the time. She hasn't found any caches either but she does provide a good cover story for two people out wandering around in parks and at rest areas. Trixie always knows when we are getting ready to go . . . sseing the backpack and GPSr get her all excited for the trip.

She also enjoys sniffing, peeing and trying to roll in smeely things. Is there a dog who doesn't.

Just started geocaching but took our Australian Sheppard. He was very interested in what we were doing but he did not find the cache. Actually he may have but he is too quickly interesred in other things to allow for us to catch up when on a non nature trail hike.

A Dog's journal:

7 am - Oh boy! A walk! My favorite! Maybe a cache too.

8 am - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 am - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

Noon - Oh boy! The yard! My favorite

2 pm - Oh boy! A car ride! My favorite! Maybe another cache.

3 pm - Oh boy! The kids! My favorite!

4 pm - Oh boy! Playing ball! My favorite!

6 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Mom! My favorite!

7 pm - Oh boy! Welcome home Dad! My favorite!

8 pm - Oh boy! Dog food! My favorite!

9 pm - Oh boy! Tummy rubs on the couch! My favorite!

11 pm - Oh boy! Sleeping in my people's bed! My favorite!

A Cat's Diary:

Day 783 of my captivity.

My captors continued to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from clawing the furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another house plant. Today my attempt

to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded. Maybe I should try this at the top of the stair. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair. I must try this on their bed.

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body in an attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little kitty cat I was. This is not working according to plan. There was some sort of gathering of their

accomplices. I was placed in solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food. More important, I overheard that my confinement was due to my powers of inducing something called "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird, on the other hand, has got to be an informant. He speaks with them regularly, and I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his

current placement in the metal room, his safety is assured. But I can wait.

It's only a matter of time...

I have a havaneve by the name of Chaos who's great at hunting tupperware. He got good at it because we keep his treats in tupperware and he enjoys trying to find where we hid them. He does the same for caches, though it's a bit inconvenient to take him as he's small and very, VERY fluffy so twigs and rosebushes get caught in his fur like crazy :\

I don't undestand this issue.

The real trick was getting my best friend interested in geocaching. He is the one who has hands and fingers and can use all that tech stuff. I'm waiting for someone to adapt a paw friendly keyboard.... :rolleyes: I alway have him take my picture since I'm the one geocaching not him! :blink: