Luxury Items

Do you bring any comfort items that are worth the extra weight?

Some that I can think of that we may bring:

Thermarest chair converters. Lightweight and they turn our Thermarests into comfy camp chairs. I had to buy one everyone in the family. When I bought the first one, the second I woild get up someone else would jump in.

Portable bidet.

Cigars (usually pack 1 per night). Also great from keeping the bugs away.

Beer, wine and whiskey. Sometimes I'll bring a bottle of red wine. It goes in a Platypus. Some friends will use empty water bottles. They don't impart a plastic taste to the wine like nalgene does. I'll also bring a few cans of beer and a flask of Irish whiskey.

Reading material. I like to read by the fire after everyone else hits the hay, or in the early morning before everyone gets up. I'll bring a paperback book, or sometimes a newspaper (great for starting fires after you're done with it) or magazine.

Just kidding about the portable bidet.

Edited by briansnat

I have hauled beer for quite some distance with a lot of elevation gain. It is quite refreshing to cool the beer off in a high mountain lake to have later!

One guy that I've backpacked with a couple of times once had an entire case of beer in his pack along with 2 big bags of ice and a package of hot dogs. That and a sleeping bag was basically all he had. Though the ice leaked onto his sleeping bag, soaking it

GREAT TOPIC!

I always carry several comfort items. I have carried less and less over the years though.

I always carry a novel. Usually science fiction. My all time favorite backcountry read is Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. I read it 3 times (poo-tee-weet :o ) in one trip where I had several days of seriously foul weather that made attempting any passes a life threatening ordeal due to intense lightning, hail, sleet, and even snow. In JULY the Sierras can host some fantastically diverse storms.

I used to carry a 12-inch bowie knife. It's a replica from Rambo 2. That thing musta weighed more than my tent, but it felt good to have it until I got older and wised up.

My main comfort item has always been 1, 20 oz. bottle of coke. I'm not a coffee drinker and I'm usually on a total jones for some caffeine by the end of my trips that are usually no less than 7-10 days and sometimes as much as a month. I drink that bottle of coke mid journey and use the bottle to pack water.

I carry a couple sports drinks mainly to have the plastic bottles to fill for hiking over passes that usually don't have much running water.

I always carry about 20 to 40 ounces of Sauza Hornitos Tequila and enough tang to mix up to chase the shots.

I used to carry a small frozen steak in for the first night. It would thawed by the time I was ready to stop for the day. That ended when I stopped building campfires.

I just got a video Ipod for Christmas and I'm sure that will be included in next year's trip. This year's trip got 86'd for the first time since 1988, but I have a good excuse. I got married. :)

I know hikers that can't go anywhere without their tunes, but I'd rather listen to the sounds that are all around while I'm in the wilderness. The sound of the running water, the wind, and the birds really help to recharge me for another 10 1/2 months in the Armpit of the Universe. Besides, I can listen to The Offspring, Foo Fighters, and Enigma any 'ol time. :o

In this era of Ultralight/fast backpacking, it's good to know there are other folks who will carry in unnecessary stuff just for comfort. My luxury item is an inflatable pillow for which my wife made a fleece cover. I never slept well with wadded up clothes serving as a pillow, but with my fleecy head rest I have a much better night. I think it's well worth the weight penalty.

PapaDean

Inside of a wine box (full of wine) afetr you drink it inflate the bag and you have a handy pillow.

Now that's not a bad idea at all, esp if you have a larger group.

I know hikers that can't go anywhere without their tunes, but I'd rather listen to the sounds that are all around while I'm in the wilderness. The sound of the running water, the wind, and the birds really help to recharge me for another 10 1/2 months in the Armpit of the Universe. Besides, I can listen to The Offspring, Foo Fighters, and Enigma any 'ol time

I sometimes bring my Walkman CD player and some CDs (I'm a dinosaur and haven't gone iPod yet) and a small set of speakers. While I enjoy the sounds of nature, I'm also a music addict. Occasionally I will put something mellow on while sitting around the fire. Stuff like Mazzy Star, Neil Young's softer stuff, Chieftans, Lucinda Williams, Nanci Griffith, David Gray and classical (Charles Ives and JS Bach go great in the woods). I save the Offspring and Foo Fighters for the ride home.

More often though I'm content with the sounds of nature.

Inside of a wine box (full of wine) afetr you drink it inflate the bag and you have a handy pillow.

Which is the luxury item - the box-o-wine or the resultant pillow? :)

Have enough of one and you wont need the other one :laughing:

Luxury things to do.

At the end of a long day walking boots off socks off cold mountain lake bliss

We try our best to pack light, but the first thing we replaced in our gear was "backpacker's T.P."

You know, that butcher paper-like substance "someone" deemed appropriate ?

We now make sure of a full roll each (minus the cardboard) of Charmin.

CJ has a sweet tooth, so she usually has some chocolatey substance in her pack.

I usually have a Monte Cristo #1 in a tube, but have to stay out-of-tent while it's lit.

I always bring at least one thing to read, but the #1 luxury item has got to be the stick of summer sausage.

What brand of sausage do you like? I'm still trying to find a replacement for our local meat processor's deer sausage since they retired.

I always bring at least one thing to read, but the #1 luxury item has got to be the stick of summer sausage.

What brand of sausage do you like? I'm still trying to find a replacement for our local meat processor's deer sausage since they retired.

Check out D'Artignan. The venison and cherry sausage is excellent and the wild boar sausage is even better.

Whiskey.

Good whiskey.

I don't see this as a luxury, A good whiskey is multi-tasking, Its a medical germ killer, A back up stove fuel, A bad coffee fixer, It calms the nerves after a climb up a really bad ladder and back down, and it helps you sleep. How can this be a luxury? :D

I always carry my iPod on me whenever I go anywhere. I LOVE MUSIC. Though as I get more in to hiking I can see how it may not be the best idea that a whole sense; hearing, is absent while hiking. In my area of the country hearing a rattle would be hugely beneficial for my safety. Right?

The Thermarest chairs really are amazing. I must admit that I made fun of my wife when she bought hers, calling her a "softie" and such... "why don't you just sit on this damp rotting log with me"... I quickly realised the folly of my ways and now have my own as well - for almost zero weight you can't go wrong. We're pretty minimalist in our backpacking ways otherwise, especially the kitchen - we don't bring plates, bowls, forks or anything. Just two spoons and a pot for cooking/eating.

Here's something cool we just discovered on this week's trip - powdered hummus. Just add water in camp and scoop up with flatbread (pitas). It was amazingly tasty, lightweight and very nutritious!

I don't cart liquid items (beers, wines, etc) like so many others seem to... I just can't stand the weight. Although sometimes I do sneak a little flask of Amarula for sunset, but it's pretty small. :rolleyes:

My friend Steve (who happens to be a brewmaster) who I also go backpacking with want to invent powdered beer for the backcountry... boy, that would be sweeeeeeet!

I consider my Big Agnes insulated air core mattress a luxury. Ohhh, that thing is so comfy. For a pillow, I use the Thermarest pillow stuff sack (soft, fleecy on one side...silnylon on the other). I consider a pump filter to be a luxury as opposed to chemical tablets or drops for water treatment. I'll carry the extra weight for better tasting water.

My wife brings coffee and some single serve containers of her favorite creamer. She's not into the whole cowboy coffee thing. I do like to bring some fresh foods for at least the first day of hiking...reverting to simpler meals afterwards. I also like a good trailgarita, so I'll carry some tequila and a powdered margarita mix.

It's been years since I backpacked, but when we're canoe packing, the two luxury items are El Ray chocolate (not much, it melts here, though licking the packaging isn't painful or anything) and some Wild Turkey. I'm not convinced the booze is a luxury. Though if I were actually back packing I'd sure be conservative with quantity.

Edited by palmetto

I need to start backpacking with some of you people, lol. I suppose what we consider luxury items is quite different.

Mine: cous cous, an extra case of flies for flyfishing, milk bones (but not for me :o

tsun :ph34r:

Cous cous is a luxury? Maybe... but only if you ARE the one eating the milkbones!

Mmmm... cous cous, a little bullion and dried cranberries... maybe some chicken if you just hafta have meat...

michelle

Please don't laugh at me, but I have a popcorn fetish! :D I like to pack my small portable Coghlans Corn Popper. It is lightweight and has a two piece removable handle. Nothing like fresh popcorn while on the trail in the backcountry or while camping with family and friends. :) Homemade jerky (deer & elk) is pretty tasty too. And for you chocolate lovers a nice slab of Norwegian Chocolate. My sister lives in Norway and brings me back a supply about once a year. If you love chocolate and have never tried it, you must give it a sample. For down time I like a good read with anything by Dean Koontz. :)

Also I must check into these thermarest chairs everybody is raving about! Sounds comfy. :huh:

Please don't laugh at me, but I have a popcorn fetish! :) I like to pack my small portable Coghlans Corn Popper. It is lightweight and has a two piece removable handle. Nothing like fresh popcorn while on the trail in the backcountry or while camping with family and friends. :D Homemade jerky (deer & elk) is pretty tasty too. And for you chocolate lovers a nice slab of Norwegian Chocolate. My sister lives in Norway and brings me back a supply about once a year. If you love chocolate and have never tried it, you must give it a sample. For down time I like a good read with anything by Dean Koontz. :D

Also I must check into these thermarest chairs everybody is raving about! Sounds comfy. :)

You can make popcorn without a microwave?!

(That THING weighs more than my sleeping bag, btw... but alas, everyone has their vices... Mine is, apparently, cous cous. :huh: )

michelle

You can make popcorn without a microwave?!

(That THING weighs more than my sleeping bag, btw... but alas, everyone has their vices... Mine is, apparently, cous cous. :laughing: )

:) Your probably right about that! It weighs 1.3oz and is 9x7x2.75. I store things inside as not to waste space. The aroma of the cooking popcorn sort of sends everybody into a frenzy. It is kind of irresitable! ;)

I always carry about 20 to 40 ounces of Sauza Hornitos Tequila and enough tang to mix up to chase the shots.

Have you tried Crystal Light as a mixer? It's the new Tang. Also, it comes in a few different flavors to suit your mood.

My friend Steve (who happens to be a brewmaster) who I also go backpacking with want to invent powdered beer for the backcountry... boy, that would be sweeeeeeet!

I read some where that they have powdered wine. Here it is:

Trekking Mahlzeiten?

I'll bet powdered beer and wine are just as delicious as say, eggs.

Edited by TopangaHiker

I do fast dayhikes, so I don't normally carry anything that's not totally mission-essential. But there's an item that I noticed another cacher carrying that I've often thought would be a good idea--one of those gardener's kneeling pads. See this log: it's lashed to the pack through the handle-hole. It'd be a great cushion for sitting and signing the log, or nice protection from sharp rocks and spines during hands-and-knees searches.

I do fast dayhikes, so I don't normally carry anything that's not totally mission-essential. But there's an item that I noticed another cacher carrying that I've often thought would be a good idea--one of those gardener's kneeling pads. See this log: it's lashed to the pack through the handle-hole. It'd be a great cushion for sitting and signing the log, or nice protection from sharp rocks and spines during hands-and-knees searches.

Thermarest has a seat pad similar to their sleep pads. I carry that on dayhikes. It has proven invaluable in all conditions as a seat and knee pad. I keep it strapped to the outside of the backpack or just rolled up in an easy to get spot in the backpack.

Thermarest has a seat pad similar to their sleep pads. I carry that on dayhikes. It has proven invaluable in all conditions as a seat and knee pad. I keep it strapped to the outside of the backpack or just rolled up in an easy to get spot in the backpack.

Aha! Found it. Thanks for the tip! There are actually several versions; the inexpensive folding model in the link, and a deluxe, self-inflating pad that packs down really small.

Aha! Found it. Thanks for the tip! There are actually several versions; the inexpensive folding model in the link, and a deluxe, self-inflating pad that packs down really small.

I have the deluxe. It has served me well on the trail as a seat or knee pad during wet conditions and on the snow as a knee pad. It kept me from sinking into the snow when fully inflated when I was down on my knee setting up my stove.

Ipod.

I know this isn't a luxury item but there are so many talking of their thermarest's I just couldn't resist.

Ultralight Hennessy Hammock - www.hennessyhammock.com but I am kicking myself for not finding this site first: www.tothewoods.net/ It keeps you from waking in the night because you missed a rock when clearing a footprint for your tent, you can use it as a chair, bug proof, rain proof, and if you carry weird-nuts ie rock chocks for say mountainous areas then you really don't even need tree's.

When its just me or with friends: my titanium flask filled with 18 yo Caol Ila, and a few H. Upmann Torpedos or Padron Churchill Maduras.

If I'm with my son it's Marshmallows, Hershey Bars, and Graham Crackers, or Hot Dogs, Buns, and Guldens. This stuff definitly ups the most tired morale of any kid deep in green-territory. :D

When its just me or with friends: my titanium flask filled with 18 yo Caol Ila, and a few H. Upmann Torpedos or Padron Churchill Maduras.

If I'm with my son it's Marshmallows, Hershey Bars, and Graham Crackers, or Hot Dogs, Buns, and Guldens. This stuff definitly ups the most tired morale of any kid deep in green-territory. :o

Oooooh! Titanium! Now there's an idea!

716a7a45-29db-4703-a3d2-e8f93732c7a8.jpg