What equals "bad" for you?

I've been wanting to ask this question for several days now, however, I thought I should wait until those two angst filled threads drifted away from the front page. (Yes, I know...much of the angst was mine) I am submitting this question in the hopes that the majority of us can take an honest look at our individual likes & dislikes in caches, without feeling a need to critique the opinions of others.

I recognize that there are many cachers who believe that all caches are created equal, so to speak, and while I disagree with that concept, I can still respect it. This thread is not posted with them in mind, although they are certainly welcome to express their opinions.

The folks I would like to hear from are the people who believe that some caches are bad. I would like to hear your opinions on what constitutes a bad cache. In an attempt to keep this thread from devolving into an angst filled bickering contest, I ask that you avoid words such as "lame" or "carpy". These overly negative words, (which I have used on many occasions), seem to bring out the worst in some folks, and I would like to focus on each individual's thoughts and beliefs regarding what, specifically, makes a cache bad, in your opinion.

Thanx!

-Sean-

Caches hidden amongst trash in trashy areas.

Caches using items that look like trash as a container. (foam cups)

Micro caches in the woods that cause search&destroy practices to find.

I agree with all of these, but I'll add...

Insipid parking lot micros. I don't mind micros if they take me somewhere interesting, but I already know where the local "big box" stores are, I don't need a cache to take me there.

I also don't always mind micros in the woods....as long as they have a decent hint, to stop the "search&destroy" tactics.

I agree with these with the caveat that a micro in the woods is fine if it is obvious once you get to the location.

A puzzle cache that goes on too long....it may have taken you an hour and a half to 'walk' it BUT you didn't have to contend with 'dodgey' GPS reception, Children that 'need the toilet NOW!', ad infenitum

Any cache thats not 'maintained' even when logs indicate that there's an issue with your cache? .....why not add a note and ask the next cacher that goes to take a pen, some tape to do a temp repair, etc etc if you are unable to get to it quickly!

A cache who's co-ords are out by 100ft+ and the placer who will not amend the co-ords despite 15 + logs saying that they were so many feet out!

A cache in a lovely place BUT hidden in an area where you don't know which peice of litter to look in next! Especially when there are hypodermics around and evidence of alcohol abuse! (area is safe by day)

And I'm sure I could list more .......

However most of my measalley 57 finds have been FANTASTIC and I could write much more about them and it would be far more edifiying! :mad:

Happy caching and beware of trashing!

minxyy

A cache is like sex: even when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

(I originally heard that as "Sex is like pizza...").

As I started to think about the question, I realized I have a different view than Clan Riffster -- I think the words forbidden here are not as bad as "bad". I would use those words to describe a lot of caches, but only a handful would I call "bad".

In fact, when I think "bad", only one really comes to mind. Not only was it in the litter-strewn corner of a parking lot, but the initial coordinates took you to a street sign with the final coordinates written in marker on the back. Not even discreetly; it took up the whole back of the sign.

ETA: Some of the things mentioned above, especially those that promote destruction of an area, would also be bad; happily, I can't think of any that I've run across like that.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Caches using "dangerous" items as camo. Electric boxes are on the top of my list for that! Kids watch us when we find these, they don't know these can be dangerous if it's the real thing and kids can't tell the difference (as I can't either in some cases). I'm not talking about the electric outlet trick, I've seen actual junction boxes and the likes used as well as heard about an electrician actually rigging up a full fuse box to look real...not too good an idea.

Trashy areas are another dislike.

It's not only the micros that get the search/destroy hunters...one of ours recently was moved since the logs near it had been reduced to kindling...even with hints, this one was a good hide (and a regular).

Here is what I think was the worst cache I have found, numbering the problems: (1) is was in what appeared to be a private office park (and I assume without permission); (2) the container was a torn plastic baggie with a magnet in it (3) the cache was placed inside a smelly sewer grate (4) it was covered in slimy, wet, stinky leaves, and (5) the log was wet and difficult to sign.

I only logged it because I was trying to reach a milestone at a specific cache with friends and was running out of time getting the right number of finds before that. Otherwise I would have walked away from that one.

Anyway, I think most , or a great majority of people would agree that particular cache was "bad." I don't like to point to say micros or lamposts etc as "bad" or "lame" or whatever because I figure some people like those and that becomes more of a personal preference issue instead of something more universally "bad."

But stinky, smelly, wet baggies in sewers in private areas? Yeah, that's "bad."

Hidden Lake Gardens in a hollow of a tree that actually let the container sit underground. I put a piece of wood and a rock on top and it was hidden! Took me about 3 minutes to hide! I was pretty proud of it, but it must have been a toughie for some! It was this one GC100J4.

I wasn't kidding about the logs either...two logs both about 2' to 3' around were destroyed. Glad it wasn't a sensitive area

Hidden Lake Gardens in a hollow of a tree that actually let the container sit underground. I put a piece of wood and a rock on top and it was hidden! Took me about 3 minutes to hide! I was pretty proud of it, but it must have been a toughie for some! It was this one GC100J4.

I wasn't kidding about the logs either...two logs both about 2' to 3' around were destroyed. Glad it wasn't a sensitive area

That's too far away from me. I'll have to find some other place to get kindling.

I can only think of one that is really bad that i know of but we are new.

It is behind a run down unused shopping area. It is a micro. The logs claim this place is loaded with trash and even some human waste. The logs also tell of a no tresspassing sign that is posted (but half of it is missing.) We drove by the location and it was disgusting. Who would place a cache here? (Especially since the No Trespassing sign is right there.)

But if you hide it they will come. (Not all- but some.) Despite signs, trash etc they keep logging it. We just drove by.

I also heard that this micro doesnt even have a log. Is that allowed?

In Fredericksburg, Virginia, we (a few local cachers) started a "Lame Micro" series. The series highlights the absolute worst places to hide caches... locations include terrible hide spots as well as overdone hide spots. There are currently only 2 caches into the series, but those two have proven to be pretty bad.

It inadvertently serves to be a training ground for new cachers. If you want to know what not to do... try this series and don't do any of them yourself.

The idea is very tongue and cheek and clearly identified in the cache descriptions so serious cachers don't get upset by the "lame" aspect of it all. It's kinda fun and generates a chuckle!

The bookmark list is located here if you are interested.

Moonie

... The logs also tell of a no tresspassing sign that is posted (but half of it is missing.) ...
Which half of the sign remains? It might be a 'trespassing' sign.

It was a typical yellow sign about the size of a sheet of paper. Horizontally posted. Either the left or right half was missing.

Even if the sign wasnt there, why place a cache among garbage? Ugh.

... The logs also tell of a no tresspassing sign that is posted (but half of it is missing.) ...

It was a typical yellow sign about the size of a sheet of paper. Horizontally posted. Either the left or right half was missing.

Do I have to use a smiley every time I try to be funny?

I accept the premise that not all caches need a wow factor to be worth publishing.

My definition of a Bad Cache.

A micro hidden inside of a Fire Hydrant, you had to remove one of the caps to access the cache. (now archived)

Caches that resemble pipe bombs (Galvanized, PVC, or ABS).

Caches hidden on private property where the cacher gave instructions on how to enter the area, so you "missed the" No Trespassing signs. (now Archived)

Caches hidden in storm gutters, sewer drains, or any other location where effluent flows.

Trashy area caches. (Thanks for sharing the local trash dumping site with me : :mad: ) I hid a cache in a scenic area, but had to relocate the cache, because the area became a dumping site, after I placed the cache.

Travel Bug Prisons (you must leave "X" number of bugs in here at all times.)

Caches hidden on playground equipment.

Caches hidden in parking lots, unless there is something worth visiting at the location. This is the only parking lot cache that I liked Midnight at the Oasis

Caches with that say, "I raised the difficulty level due to the high muggle factor."

Caches hidden without the knowledge or consent of nearby homeowners or property owners (with full view of the cache sites.)

Needle in a haystack hides that destroy a natural area.

Edited by Kit Fox
... Caches hidden in storm gutters, sewer drains, or any other location where effluent flows. ...
Not trying to give an opinion on what caches you like or don't like, but effluent doesn't flow in storm gutters. I'm not sure what a 'sewer drain' is. Is it the pipe that goes from your commode to the sewer line? I'm not sure how a cache could be hidden in there, but I'm not finding it. :mad: Edited by sbell111
... Caches hidden in storm gutters, sewer drains, or any other location where effluent flows. ...
Not trying to give an opinion on what caches you like or don't like, but effluent doesn't flow in storm gutters. I'm not sure what a 'sewer drain' is. Is it the pipe that goes from your commode to the sewer line? I'm not sure how a cache could be hidden in there, but I'm not finding it. :mad:

Sure it does, examples include feces from animals, homeless people, or any other form of waste material.

Dictionary.com

[Effluent]

Sewage or other liquid waste that is discharged into a body of water, etc.

The lists that have been posted already seem fairly complete. I don't think reduplicating those lists would be of services so I'll just go straight to what I feel is the root of the problem.

What makes a 'bad' cache is an owner that placed the cache without planing and thinking the cache through first. Be it a poor container for the location, (i.e. micro in the woods) or a poor location period. Whether it was due to a lack of experience on the part of the owner or that they just want another hide now; 'bad' planning tends to lead to a 'bad' cache. Go back and look at all the cache examples listed thus far, and then ask yourself, was the cache planned out or was it a spur of the moment, "here's another hide' cache.

Here's an example that really doesn't fit into any one of the description listed above, but it shows how poor planning makes a poor cache. The container is the small piece of Gladware. It's in a ditch on the edge of some trees next to Jeep dealership close to a construction area. The only thing in the cache when it was placed was a Jeep TB. At this point it's one step away from geojunk.

I only partially agree.

I placed a cache in a trashy area. While doing so I filled 2 trash bags full and asked fellow cachers to help do the same. The area is now better because of it. Why should we only CITO when it is an event? Is it to get the little event icon on our "status page"?

A cache placed in a trashy area only to place a cache and with no care to help the area is the sign a of a cacher with an issue.

IMHO, I would say that the majority of cachers (meaning more than those in the forums) will cache to just cache. I think any cache is a good cache but only few become great.

I only partially agree.

I placed a cache in a trashy area. While doing so I filled 2 trash bags full and asked fellow cachers to help do the same. The area is now better because of it. Why should we only CITO when it is an event? Is it to get the little event icon on our "status page"?

A cache placed in a trashy area only to place a cache and with no care to help the area is the sign a of a cacher with an issue.

IMHO, I would say that the majority of cachers (meaning more than those in the forums) will cache to just cache. I think any cache is a good cache but only few become great.

You make a good point. I've been to alot of caches that were placed simply to spur CITO o the area. It's a perfectly valid reason to place a cache.

This actually leads to the fact that while this thread is useful to find out what individual caches don't like, it is not really useful to determine what a bad cache is, since this definition is different for everyone. Certainly, there are some examples of caches given in this thread that I would not consider 'bad'. However, since the thread was established as a non-combat zone, there hasn't been any disagreements over the opinions given.

A good puzzle cache that challenges the mind-but the "bad" is when you go and find it- it's a crummy micro bison tube/35mm- I myself would like to find a ammo can/decon or something of trading size to get something from it as your trophy trinket..not just paper log to sign..
I think what you are saying is that the cache was misrepresented on the cache page. Micros should certainly be identified as micros on the page. Of course, if it was shown as a micro, it's your fault that you didn't like it.

I only partially agree.

I would say that your cache was well planned. You had a reason for placing it there besides just getting "one more hide".

I only partially agree.

You make a good point. I've been to alot of caches that were placed simply to spur CITO o the area. It's a perfectly valid reason to place a cache.

This actually leads to the fact that while this thread is useful to find out what individual caches don't like, it is not really useful to determine what a bad cache is, since this definition is different for everyone. Certainly, there are some examples of caches given in this thread that I would not consider 'bad'. However, since the thread was established as a non-combat zone, there hasn't been any disagreements over the opinions given.

Being combative wasnt my intent. :mad:

I only partially agree.

Being combative wasnt my intent. :mad:

It wasn't my intent to suggest that you were.
I accept the premise that not all caches need a wow factor to be worth publishing.

My definition of a Bad Cache.

A micro hidden inside of a Fire Hydrant, you had to remove one of the caps to access the cache. (now archived)

Caches that resemble pipe bombs (Galvanized, PVC, or ABS).

Caches hidden on private property where the cacher gave instructions on how to enter the area, so you "missed the" No Trespassing signs. (now Archived)

Caches hidden in storm gutters, sewer drains, or any other location where effluent flows.

Trashy area caches. (Thanks for sharing the local trash dumping site with me : :D ) I hid a cache in a scenic area, but had to relocate the cache, because the area became a dumping site, after I placed the cache.

Travel Bug Prisons (you must leave "X" number of bugs in here at all times.)

Caches hidden on playground equipment.

Caches hidden in parking lots, unless there is something worth visiting at the location. This is the only parking lot cache that I liked Midnight at the Oasis

Caches with that say, "I raised the difficulty level due to the high muggle factor."

Caches hidden without the knowledge or consent of nearby homeowners or property owners (with full view of the cache sites.)

Needle in a haystack hides that destroy a natural area.

My list would have been pretty much identical with this list. I would also add caches where the coords are way off (>70 feet or so). The farther off they are the worse they are. I DNFed one once because I found it that it was about four miles off. :mad: Edited by TrailGators

I think a bad cache is one that isn't maintained. I realize that I've just begun this sport, but my first find had nothing in it. From the logs, I knew it was a good cache. However, I think someone might have raided it before my find. I can't say that my experience was due to a bad owner, but it was a great disappointment as my first find.

I have to say, I like micros in the woods. If you are going to spend alot of time looking for a hard micro, why not in a good location? I go out of the way to find them myself. I've also hidden a couple.

My "bad cache" is a tupper ware tub hidden under a debris pile - why bother? I'd rather find a needle-needle-in-a-haystack in the woods than a leaky gladware covered in rotted sticks.

I guess my biggest pet peeve are caches in dirty areas. Even worse, hard micros in dirty areas.

I'm trying hard to define my personal "bad" cache. I have only been caching for about a year so I expect that my definition will evolve, but the worst caches for me are not location or container oriented. The bad caches are the ones that are poorly executed. The best example I can think of is bad coordinates, including not fixing coords after several reports that they are off.

Some people will say that bad locations are chosen due to bad execution, but I disagree. (At least for now) Some caches are about location and others are about just being found. The best of them have both but I'm ok with either! :mad:

I only partially agree.

If the intent is CITO - then wonderful!! However, sometimes these are placed because they offer good concealment and CITO would probably ruin the hide method.

For me, a cache is ‘bad’ when the only conceivable reason for its existence is to provide a number for the cache owner.

IOW, nothing scenic, not near anything of interest, nothing remarkable about the container, no original cache concept, and no feasible reason to bring me there.

We just returned from a week in Maui. Aside from a serious case of a lack of Palm trees back at the office, I found out exactly what makes me cringe cache-wise: VACATION CACHES! A cache that has the caveat: "I'm here on business 3 or 4 times a year and have a friend who can take care of it for me."

Maui Valley of the Stones While the location was great, finding the bottom half of a Gladware container wrapped in leaky grabage bags is not the best way to get one's kids jazzed about caching.

One other was also a heartbreaker - this is one of the premiere spots on Maui for snorkeling and a not-to-be missed spot even if fins are not your thing Sunglass The owner isn't active any more, but the cache gets a lot of action - and it's not an easy hike at all, so muggles aren't an issue. But the TBs need updating as do the coordinates. Anyone not reading the logs before they go will be frustrated searching.

Aside from that, we found a handful of great spots and other caches that belong on the 'really great cache' listings. But with all the tourists on Maui cacheing, some may migrate just because of 'vacation brain' Waihee Valley Dam Fits that one. But still worth the hike!

I've been on a number of hunts that I didn't really enjoy. But the only cache I was just absolutely disgusted with was one located in close proximity to a holding pond with bad coords and trash all around. After my crutches sank 2' into the sewer mud (which was kind of hidden under dry leaves), I called it quits. I honestly didn't see anything good about that location.

For me there is typically no single element that equals "bad". I am a judgmental person by nature, (a trait I try to minimize), and the up-side to being a judgmental so & so is that I am constantly evaluating the world around me, comparing it to past experience.

For the record, everything I type here is nothing more than my completely subjective opinion. If I step on any toes, I apologize ahead of time. This is not my intention.

Five things I like to evaluate when considering a hide are location, container, suitability, write up and hide technique. Because these things are important to me, poor choices in these areas, by other caches, can cause me to rate a particular cache harshly. In my evaluations, I give mental plus/minus points for each of these fields, and the overall score is what is the determining factor. In the end, I'm in this for the entertainment value, and a cache that doesn't entertain me, will probably not make my "Kewl Cache" list. Fortunately, (for those who might actually worry about what this ol' fat crippled guy thinks), I'm fairly easy to entertain. ;) Show me a neat spot, a clever hide or a well written cache page, and I'm happier than a pig in mud. :anicute:

Location: A boring location does little for me. As Criminal said, "Why did you bring me here?"

Container: A cache is supposed to protect its contents. The world is full of quality, inexpensive containers. Why anybody would hide something like Gladware is beyond me. Briansnat's article about container quality just bristles with truth.

Suitability: This is usually a combination of location & container. A hide that results in cachers tearing up sensitive vegetation is a bad idea.

Write up: On occasion, a well written cache page can make up for many other discrepancies. While hordes of exceptions exist, it's been my experience that brief cache write ups are often a result of mental laziness or a general lack of creativity, both of which can result in poor caches. When I see a new cache page pop up with something to the effect of, "Hear is my cashe. I hope U like it!", I probably won't bother to load it into GSAK unless I see some compelling logs later.

Hide Technique: Many hide techniques are copied to the point where they no longer offer even a hint of a challenge. The much maligned, average LPC falls into this category, as does a Lock-n-Lock buried under a bundle of sticks, when nature decrees that sticks don't assemble themselves in such a way, in that area. I like techniques that involve working with the existing environment, as opposed to those that defy the environment.

Just $0.02 from your friendly neighborhood Riffster.

Thanx for your thoughts! ;)

One minor irritant for me is going to a large park or open area to look for the only cache in the area, and instead of being led to a quiet or interesting part of the park, the cache is hidden in the most traveled, least private place available. For instance, a park that is adjacent to a busy intersection - I would hide the cache in a back corner, rather than right at the intersection where cars and pedestrians are constantly passing. Unless there is a specific reason to put it there, move it to a more secluded spot!

Many valid points. I have a bone to pick with the cacher who hides (among other things) bison tubes in prickly evergreens in manicured parks. But, on the other hand, the caches are usually archived before the evergreens suffer too much damage. The cache owner never seems to do any maintenance. When the cache disappears, sometimes they are disabled by the owner after many months, before being archived by the reviewer. 32 caches hidden. 12 still active. One disabled one was last found in March of 2006.

This is bad!

I don't like caches hidden behind the access plates inside of light poles. Lamp skirts are bad enough, but a) I don't want to teach my kids to reach into those places, and ;) I don't want them to see me get electrocuted.

I don't like caches hidden in dirty/dusty ivy or juniper. My allergies are typically in check, but nothing brings them back faster than stiring up all the dust in a dirty juniper bush...ah ah ah...cheeeeeewwww. sorry.

Do I have to use a smiley every time I try to be funny?

I got it.

Exactly. All-time worst cache for me: hidden next to a trashy drainage ditch, under one of a gazillion rocks, disguized as a piece of styrofoam trash, and the privately-owned property that it was on makes me suspect that it wasn't placed with permission.

Not trying to give an opinion on what caches you like or don't like, but effluent doesn't flow in storm gutters. I'm not sure what a 'sewer drain' is. Is it the pipe that goes from your commode to the sewer line? I'm not sure how a cache could be hidden in there, but I'm not finding it. ;)

Sure it does, examples include feces from animals, homeless people, or any other form of waste material.

Dictionary.com

[Effluent]

Sewage or other liquid waste that is discharged into a body of water, etc.

We who work in the sewage industry consider "effluent" to be treated sewage, not what comes directly from your toilet, ;) but we all know what you mean, so I suppose that's good enough.