The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

:D

Between Pharisee and MrE, we have an answer (near enough)...

TFW Tropical Fresh Water

F Fresh water

T Tropical seawater

S Summer seawater

W Winter seawater

WNA Winter North America

So who gets the ding? and sets the next question? :D

Fight it out between yourselves, lads :D Whoever's got their question ready first...

MrsB

..................give it to John, he did 99% of the work and triggered my memory :D:D

Between Pharisee and MrE, we have an answer (near enough)...

TFW Tropical Fresh Water

F Fresh water

T Tropical seawater

S Summer seawater

W Winter seawater

WNA Winter North America

So who gets the ding? and sets the next question? :D

Fight it out between yourselves, lads :D Whoever's got their question ready first...

MrsB

..................give it to John, he did 99% of the work and triggered my memory :D:D

Ahh... 'tis a Gentleman y'are Mr Eckington, Sir

Who was it that sailed the first, single handed, circumnavigation of the globe?

Edited by Pharisee

A guess from Scanker for the last question mentioned base jumping. What is base in this context?

Base jumping is jumping (with parachute) from any object permanently fixed to the ground e.g. a building or some other structure. Skyscrapers feature heavily but, when you think about it, it's the little buildings that are the toughest.

Visualises base jumper splatting into ground then the parachute opens around him/her. :o

A guess from Scanker for the last question mentioned base jumping. What is base in this context?

Base jumping is jumping (with parachute) from any object permanently fixed to the ground e.g. a building or some other structure. Skyscrapers feature heavily but, when you think about it, it's the little buildings that are the toughest.

Visualises base jumper splatting into ground then the parachute opens around him/her. :o

Eckington was on the right lines. BASE is an acronym, but for what?

Having had my sister in law over here for lunch, I asked her as she is in the medical profession, and she thinks they are rat snakes.

Almost there; it's a certain type of rat snake. In the same way that there are different pythons (Royal, Carpet, Reticulated, Burmese etc) there are several varieties of rat snake. I know of more than thirty but we're on the home straight. Starts with "a".

Having had my sister in law over here for lunch, I asked her as she is in the medical profession, and she thinks they are rat snakes.

Almost there; it's a certain type of rat snake. In the same way that there are different pythons (Royal, Carpet, Reticulated, Burmese etc) there are several varieties of rat snake. I know of more than thirty but we're on the home straight. Starts with "a".

"a rat snake" - ya herpetologist ya! :)

"a rat snake" - ya herpetologist ya! :)

Edited to say DING because that’s a better answer that the proper one (Aesculapian snake :) ), which probably no-one would get ‘cos it’s a stupid thing to want to know. It seems, incredibly, that no-one cheats here either so well done to everyone. :D

Over to you... :D

Edited by jerryo

Oops! :) I didn't expect a Ding!

OK -

Why are the ISO paper sizes A0, A1.. A4... A7 exactly the sizes they are?

They aren't an arbitrary size.

Bonus points - why are the A0-A7 and (B0-B7) paper sizes inherently more manageable than US sizes such as Letter and Legal?