The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

Ok away from star wars <_<

We all use AA batteries in our GPS systems (well most of us) But in July 2006 they were used successfully for the first time to power something a bit larger.... What was it?

If no one gets it or guesses it iill give a hint. :P

Wasn't that one of these super light aeroplanes, a bit like the Gossamer Albatross that flew the Channel about 25 years ago?

Ok away from star wars <_<

We all use AA batteries in our GPS systems (well most of us) But in July 2006 they were used successfully for the first time to power something a bit larger.... What was it?

If no one gets it or guesses it iill give a hint. :P

Wasn't that one of these super light aeroplanes, a bit like the Gossamer Albatross that flew the Channel about 25 years ago?

DING !!!

Yes a one man light aircraft powered by 160 AA batteries! wonder if they had an in flight movie. Well done.

1935? That's gotta be the Hurricane :unsure:

DING!!

So what was special about it? apart from it (& not the Spitfire) being the deciding factor in the Battle of Britain.

The Hawker Hurricane was the first fighter monoplane to join the Royal Air Force and the first combat aircraft adopted by that arm capable of exceeding 300 mph in level flight.

Visually, they are quite different too, the Spitfire had an elliptical wing shape which tapered and the Hurricane had a thicker, straighter wing.

OK, staying with the aviation theme, when I got my Private Pilots' License (a few years back now) it took me 54 hours and 25 minutes, but what you need to tell me is, what's the current minumum number of flying hours required to gain a PPL?

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

Visually, they are quite different too, the Spitfire had an elliptical wing shape which tapered and the Hurricane had a thicker, straighter wing.

OK, staying with the aviation theme, when I got my Private Pilots' License (a few years back now) it took me 54 hours and 25 minutes, but what you need to tell me is, what's the current minumum number of flying hours required to gain a PPL?

It's got to be worth a guess, so I'll go for 20.

Whoops - sorry all - been down with man-flu and I'm a bit brain dead at the moment ("no change there then", before anybody else gets in with it)

Somebody else better grab the spot and set a question - I'm having enough trouble trying to remember my own name

OK, just in case everyone else is being polite here's a very easy one to get people back in:

Which is the nearest planet to the Sun.

Don't bother waiting for a DING if you KNOW your answer is right.

Mercury

Edit to award myself a ding. There are asteroids which get closer to the sun, but Mercury is the planet which orbits closest.

My question is another film one. Which movie was shot under the working title 'Star Beast'?

Edit to add an extra question, as I think this is too easy alone. The Ding goes to whoever gets both or the second answer. Q2: What was discovered on the first day of the 19th century?

Edited by Simply Paul
I'll have a guess that "Star Beast" was Alien.

With regards to what was discovered, was it a trick question, and was it the planet Mercury?

Not exactly a discovery, but it was the first day of the Act of Union, bringing together Great Britain and Ireland to form The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Richard

I'll have a guess that "Star Beast" was Alien.

With regards to what was discovered, was it a trick question, and was it the planet Mercury?

Not exactly a discovery, but it was the first day of the Act of Union, bringing together Great Britain and Ireland to form The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Richard

It's good, but it's not right. The act was passed in 1800, which was the last year of the 18th century. But I'll give you a gold star anyway, as it wasn't enacted until Jan. 1st 1801 - the date I'm looking at. Clue: The discovery was of something smaller than Mercury! :surprise:

Thanks Paul. Next question...

The world's first electronic ATM, hole-in-the-wall or cashpoint (although strictly this is a trademark owned by Lloyds TSB) was installed at a branch of Barclays Bank in Enfield Town, London on 27th June 1967. The question: who was the first person to use it?

The world's first electronic ATM, hole-in-the-wall or cashpoint (although strictly this is a trademark owned by Lloyds TSB) was installed at a branch of Barclays Bank in Enfield Town, London on 27th June 1967. The question: who was the first person to use it?

Reg Varney , AKA Stan Butler from On The Busses

You mean this one ....................

GCR578

The World's First Cash Point Cache - Enfield :P:P ..................archived now I fear :P:blink::blink:

He was a hangman.

Chris

He was indeed, but I thought it'd last longer than 7 minutes! The executioner in Punch & Judy is called Jack Ketch after the real 17th century executioner, who was renowned for bungling beheadings particularly the Duke of Monmouth where he had 5 hacks with the axe, then gave up with the axe and had to use a knife to cut the head off - yuck.

Anyway DING to The Blorenges and over to you.

Thanks! My cousin will be there on his HD!

Composing a question amidst the tension of the world cup..... looked like a try to me!

Right - time for another cake themed quickie!

What sort of cakes did Private Godfrey's sister like to bake?

Was it a little teatime fancy?