The All New All New Groundspeak UK Pub Quiz

A0 is a sheet of area 1 sq. m whose edges are in the proportion 1:sq. root 2.

A1 is half of this, maintaining the same aspect ratio etc....

And straight in there is rutson with a ding! for a correct answer:

- An A0 sheet is 1.0 sq, m in area with the side in the ratio 1 to sq. root 2.

This means that if an A0 is cut in half across the long side, two A1 sheets (of 0.5sq m) are produced.

A0 = 2x A1

A1 = 2x A2

A2 = 2x A3

A3 = 2x A4, etc.

Not only is this quite cool geek-candy, but imagine if you are selling paper by the pallet: it is trivial to calculate how much paper you are handling what ever size it is finished to. If you have US Letter and US Legal paper in bulk - it will be harder to calculate. And take the photocopier: magnifying any image by 141.4% (root 2) will fit it onto the next ISO size up. This just doesn't work for any old sizing scheme!

Similarly, there are ISO size ranges like B0-B7, C0-C7.

The width and height of a Bn format are the geometric mean between those of the An and the next larger A(n−1) format. For instance, B1 is the geometric mean between A1 and A0, that means the same magnification factor that scales A1 to B1 also scales B1 to A0.

Similarly, the formats of the C series are the geometric mean between the A and B series formats with the same number. For example, an (unfolded) A4 size letter fits nicely into a C4 envelope, which in turn fits as nicely into a B4 envelope. If you fold this letter once to A5 format, then it will fit nicely into a C5 envelope.

B and C formats naturally are also square-root-of-two formats.

A4 Facts and trivia - http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

Over to you, no time wasted...

why do you always spot the glaring errors after you click "Post Reply"?

Now THAT's a question worth answering.

Edited by Dizzley

Have fun there rutson. Ive been beaten to it though^

What to See in Gjøvik

* The world’s largest arena excavated in rock can be found in Gjøvik. The Gjøvik Olympic Hall( Fjellhallen in Norwegian), was the site of the Lillehammer Winter Olympics ice hockey games in 1994.

* Gjøvik farm

* Gjøvik glassworks

* Eiktunet cultural-history museum

* The world's oldest paddle steamer still on a regular schedule SS/Skibladner

Come on now, one of you folks on that side of the pond need to get this, or I will steal your thunder.

My oldest sister actually liked this artist/song, but I was too young at the time to care.

well george gaskin was 1890 something i think, so im not surprised you were too young if he wasnt the first. :laughing:

Edited by Vodor

Good morning (I am a bit behind you),

We all have read and seen movies of the battle to sink the Bismark, the German battleship. The Royal Navy also had to contend with her sister ship, and undertook near a dozen missions against this vessel, some with limited success that kept her from the fray. It was the Royal Air Force that got the job done in Nov. of 1944.

What was the name of the sister to the Bismark, and what was the method of the first attempt that resulted in the Victoria Cross for two?

Edit to add: ducking out for a bit, the purpose to remain gainfully employed. Estimate 12 hours to return.

Edited by Trucker Lee

Good morning (I am a bit behind you),

We all have read and seen movies of the battle to sink the Bismark, the German battleship. The Royal Navy also had to contend with her sister ship, and undertook near a dozen missions against this vessel, some with limited success that kept her from the fray. It was the Royal Air Force that got the job done in Nov. of 1944.

What was the name of the sister to the Bismark, and what was the method of the first attempt that resulted in the Victoria Cross for two?

Edit to add: ducking out for a bit, the purpose to remain gainfully employed. Estimate 12 hours to return.

I'm pretty sure she was the Tirpitz and didn't they attack her with mini submarines??

Was it The Tirpitz? I vaguely recall (from reading the book years ago) they went at it with mini-subs to place explosives on the hull when it was in Trondheim Fjord.

DING on both parts.

Although she didn't sink, the Tirpitz was damaged enough to keep her out of action for several months. Lts. Donald Cameron and Basil Place of the Royal Navy received Victoria Crosses for the effort, which included about 1000 miles of open sea and penetrating a mine field in X class mini-subs. I see we have several history buffs here.

Apologies for the delay, employment tends to get in the way of my recreation.

Apologies for the delay, employment tends to get in the way of my recreation.

Your working too hard then! :laughing:

Keeping with the Nautical History theme (I know nothing about it really!)

What is the oldest British warship afloat, and what links her to the current US 'Ghost' Warships?

I'll guess at HMS Warrior, which is still in the water at Pompey, Victory is older but is in dry dock. No idea about the link though

Wrong I'm afraid.

Somewhere a little unexpected. Unless of course you know the answer!

Before I get labelled as a 'History buff' :laughing: - I have no idea why I could recall the answer to the previous question when I read a book about Tirpitz when I was about 12. Just one of those useless facts that stays buried, only to leap out at opportune moments. If only I could remember what I climbed the stairs for half the time! :)

There are 2 other naval facts I know - the one I've asked above and where Captain Cook took to sea.

Wrong I'm afraid.

Somewhere a little unexpected. Unless of course you know the answer!

Before I get labelled as a 'History buff' :laughing: - I have no idea why I could recall the answer to the previous question when I read a book about Tirpitz when I was about 12. Just one of those useless facts that stays buried, only to leap out at opportune moments. If only I could remember what I climbed the stairs for half the time! :)

There are 2 other naval facts I know - the one I've asked above and where Captain Cook took to sea.

Isn't the oldest ship HMS Trincomalee, which I seem to remember is up north somewhere. No idea what the connection is though.

A sad mathy one now:

Using the symbols “i” “-” “π” “=” “e”, write an equation that makes "1". It’s not degree level but it’s very pretty – if you like that sort of thing. You might need a "^" unless you can do superscript, which I can't!

An easy one, I hope.

What caught fire 50 years ago today?

Strange it was on the news this morning!.........the worlds first nuclear accident....Windscale went up in flames.

It was the first and it wasn't the last. Having worked on a nuclear site in Romania for the past 18 months I think I know...........God forbid................. where the next one might happen...........it's scary trust me! Thank God for the NII the UK nuclear regulator

Edited by The Lavender Hill Mob

Vodka Martini, shaken, not stirred.

Nope...........out of the 317 drinks consumed in total he only drank 19 Vodka Martini's.

The famous 'Shaken, not stirred' line appears for the first time in 'Diamonds are forever (1956) but isn't used by Bond himself until Dr. No (1959). Sean Connery was the first screen Bond to utter the words in Goldfinger (1964). It's the 90th greatest movie quote of all time.