Airport Security and GPS Units

Brian07663NJ

Can I bring my GPS unit with me to England through Heathrow airport (both coming and going) without fear of it being taken from my carryon?

I am not asking about using it in flight.

Also - will it work in London if I do not have the maps? I just want to use it to find a few caches while there on a short business trip so it is not cost effective for me to buy the maps.

Can I bring my GPS unit with me to England through Heathrow airport (both coming and going) without fear of it being taken from my carryon?

Also - will it work in London if I do not have the maps? I just want to use it to find a few caches while there on a short business trip so it is not cost effective for me to buy the maps.

Heres whats allowed and not allowed at Heathrow....This link is speific to this airport and it does mention electric items in here...

http://www.heathrowairport.com/assets/B2CP...d_CantDec06.pdf

Additional info here

http://www.heathrowairport.com/portal/cont...036821c0a____#6

Edited by Muddy and Amused

You shouldn't have any problems, I live overseas and travel to from the States with it in my carryon all the time. They never say a word.

Your GPS should work fine in London.

I am also interested in knowing this because I will be going to Belize in April!

I am wanting to know about using it in flight....so what are the guidelines?

That's funny. Our school kids are going there for their senior trip. We've met with them once to discuss Belize and some of their options. Unfortunately, we went to Belize before we discovered geocaching. Although at that time there weren't caches around, and no worries about our gps, as it was a week or two before 9/11.

As for maps, gps' have general world maps in them. Not as good as specific maps while traveling, but they show major roads and such. You can get by with them, although I personally wouldn't want to cache without area maps...I get lost easily.

I know that generically, you should have no problem going through customs, however, I have never traveled through Britain, so I don't know if they have different rules. Things keep changing. We just went to TX and had no problem with our gps carryon...and TX is a different country, right? :rolleyes:

Yes, You can take the GPS to London. Make sure you have it for the guards to check at the Security gate. It works fine in London and just about anywhere. I've traveled with it to New Zealand and had a ball with it. Enjoy OOOPS.. Don't use it while on the plane.. they really don't like that.

I recently cached in Panama with friends. I have a Garmin Map 60CS and he has the CSx with updated software/firmware. My GPS only showed the Panamerican Highway while his showed some of the other major highways as well. We found several caches and really had no problems. They just showed up in the middle of a blank space and we figured out the roads to take. Frankly, our local paper maps weren't that much better. London may be better even without the optional maps, I don't know.

You can take GPSr's through airports and use them on many different airlines. I even used mine, with permission from the flight attendant and full knowledge of the pilot, on an airline that does not allow them to be turned on. (I found that out a few weeks later. I had done the research, but missed it.) I put all electronic gear in one bag, including laptop, and have never had a problem or a question. (I have sleep apnea and use a machine to help me breathe at night. I now have to take it out of the carrying case, run it through xray twice, and have it visually checked; but no problem with GPSr, PDA, laptop, etc.)

Conditions change, so it always pays to go online and get the latest info about your situation. Have a great trip.

I am also interested in knowing this because I will be going to Belize in April!

I am wanting to know about using it in flight....so what are the guidelines?

That's funny. Our school kids are going there for their senior trip. We've met with them once to discuss Belize and some of their options. Unfortunately, we went to Belize before we discovered geocaching. Although at that time there weren't caches around, and no worries about our gps, as it was a week or two before 9/11.

Hey Ambrosia....you got mail. :P

Hey Briansnat....that was a really helpful list that you linked to! Since we are taking an airline that does not approve GPS use, I will be putting my unit in the luggage to keep it safe. I have already gone through the fun and satisfaction of using a GPS in a private plane, so it's not like I've never done it before.

Hey Briansnat....that was a really helpful list that you linked to! Since we are taking an airline that does not approve GPS use, I will be putting my unit in the luggage to keep it safe. I have already gone through the fun and satisfaction of using a GPS in a private plane, so it's not like I've never done it before.

You can still carry it on. You just can't use it in flight on those airlines.

The last time I flew for business was from Florida to Las Vegas and I flew United. They did not question me as to what it was and as long as it was off during take off and landing, we could use them in flight. It was pretty cool, I now have a max speed on my unit as 584 mph and seeing the altitude at 40,000 ft was cool too...

My suggestion is to check with the airline that you are flying. I have heard that there are some that do not allow the use of GPS in flight.

It also depends on the type of plane. I flew to Philly at Christmas on a US Air Airbus. Put the GPSr between the shade and window (e-Trex Venture), The screen heated up from the sun and went black. When it cooled, it wsa ok. Took a small jet (50 seater from Philly. I had it out and they said I couldn't use it on that airplane. I returned on a 50 seat turboprop. They said it was ok on that, but I was under the wing and could only get two sats.

You do have to be in a window seat though.

I have never had a problem carrying mine on domestically, but overseas "it depends." When I travelled to Germany in December I had no problem with security in Berlin, but Frankfurt security had a big group discussion about it and finally decided I could carry it on as long as I removed the batteries.

Of course, they did not take the batteries away from me, so I don't know what was to prevent me from replacing them in unit as soon as I was through the line! :(

Hi..this might be a silly question....What do you do with the GPS on the plane on? just looking for SATS?

My husband always has to get his gps out and stick it in the window. :(

You can check altitude (probably not correct...something to do with pressure?), and speed of the plane.

He checks where we are in the country, which can be really cool. We love it when we pass over our house, and special places like that. On the plane Sunday, I wanted to know exactly where Mt. Rainier was so that I could be ready to take a picture. Very nice to know that it was 30 miles ahead of us. Wish it was more of a clear day, but I was happy. The clouds were cuddling the mountain. I got Mt. St. Helans on the way out, as well.

Mt. St. Helans:

PICT0039.jpg

Mt. Rainier:

PICT0093.jpg

PICT0117.jpg

Edited by Ambrosia

Hi..this might be a silly question....What do you do with the GPS on the plane on? just looking for SATS?

My husband always has to get his gps out and stick it in the window. :(

You can check altitude (probably not correct...something to do with pressure?), and speed of the plane.

He checks where we are in the country, which can be really cool. We love it when we pass over our house, and special places like that. On the plane Sunday, I wanted to know exactly where Mt. Rainier was so that I could be ready to take a picture. Very nice to know that it was 30 miles ahead of us. Wish it was more of a clear day, but I was happy. The clouds were cuddling the mountain. I got Mt. St. Helans on the way out, as well.

WOW. I never even considered using mine onboard a plane... just assumed it wasn't allowed. I've recently taken mine to Australia and New Zealand no problem.

Just to note, I've never had any trouble taking any electrical device into the US, or any Asian country, they just ask you to turn them on.

My husband always has to get his gps out and stick it in the window. :D

WOW. I never even considered using mine onboard a plane... just assumed it wasn't allowed. I've recently taken mine to Australia and New Zealand no problem.

Just to note, I've never had any trouble taking any electrical device into the US, or any Asian country, they just ask you to turn them on.

Unfortunately, more and more airlines are including the gps on their list of electric devices that need to be turned off during flight. :(

When you are sitting on an aircraft for 22 to 26 hours you look for any kind of diversion. In October on a trip to Tanzania from Dallas via Amsterdam we cross the equator obviously. I have a GPS 76S and by holding it next to the window you can get an excellent signal most all the time. This unit has both the GPS altitude and a barometric altitude. The GPS altitude was correct but the barometric showed the cabin altitude. I have travelled internationall a lot and have never had any problems with using the gps in flight.

I was showing the passenger next to me how the gps worked and as we approached the equator you could really see the position counting down to zero North Lattitude. The real fun was trying to mark a position as we crossed the equator. I did get a N00 00.014 and we were doing about 600 miles per hour at that time.

I would believe that if any flight attendent requested that you turn one off you should but at the same time ask that person to please ask the pilot if it would be ok. If the pilot does not know it is a passive device like a laptop then I would suggest you try another airline in the future.

:(

You can check that the plane has not been silently hijacked and is slowly making a gradual turn to head for Cuba

Hijacker: "Take this plane to Cuba"

Pilot: "We would have to make a 270° turn"

Hijacker: "That's OK just do it slowly"

Pilot: "But seat 34A has a GPS, they'll know"

Hijacker: "I will send Maximillion here, to 'talk' to 34A"

On second thoughts that's another reason NOT to fly with one.

You can check that the plane has not been silently hijacked and is slowly making a gradual turn to head for Cuba

Hijacker: "Take this plane to Cuba"

Pilot: "We would have to make a 270° turn"

Hijacker: "That's OK just do it slowly"

Pilot: "But seat 34A has a GPS, they'll know"

Hijacker: "I will send Maximillion here, to 'talk' to 34A"

On second thoughts that's another reason NOT to fly with one.

...or at least not to mention your GPSr use to the crew.

I've done that before, too. I've even planned future trips through areas I've flown over, by waypointing stuff I thought looked interesting from above then driving back to find them later. Trick is, that lake or canyon you see out the window "below" you is actually 7-20 miles away (or more), so if you mark a waypoint you need to project another waypoint perpendicular to your heading depending on which side of the plane you're sitting on. We found some beautiful lakes in Utah and Idaho back in 2004 this way.

Oh, here's my Mt. Ranier pic. I did the same thing Ambrosia did and used the GPS to figure out when we were getting close. :ph34r:

d6e808a1-4534-48fe-b5d3-18a8a1be1516.jpg

:wub:

Nice pic, David. :ph34r:

I get pictures from Mt. Rainier almost every year, hopefully if I'm on the correct side of the plane, and the weather's good. :wub: I love flying over it, something everyone needs to experience once. My favorite pic that I took from the plane a couple years back:

0100fa06-62a3-41d1-a5f7-63d877bdccf6.jpg

Now that we've turned this thread into a "pictures from airplanes" thread. :huh: Sorry. Carry on. :wub:

Back more OT: My husband has tried waypointing interesting places that he sees from the plane that he wants to come back to. I tell him that coords are going to be so off, because of the speed and height that we're at, but he figures it gives him the general area. :ph34r::o

Never had a problem with Security, but I have only flown in the US, but there hasn't been any trouble and most airlines will let you use your GPS onboard. The only wierd thing is the strange looks some people give you if you try to see your coordinates on the plane.

Or even stranger looks when you start taking pictures of TB's with the gps.

ddcceff1-c7d5-420f-bbb1-cb8da8afb24d.jpg

039abf79-ce6a-4fe6-9ce3-b9223581ec81.jpg

Ha! I should've done that. I had a bunch of TB's in my carryon. :unsure: Didn't think of it.

I've thought about pulling out the TBs and the camera to take pictures of them in airports along the way, but decided that in these times, I'd rather not do something that could be seen as suspicious. :blink:

"Yeah, sure you were just taking pictures of your travel bugs with the planes and control tower as a backdrop. Please come with us so we can ask you a few questions."

Edited by DavidMac

I took my eXplorist 100 in my carryon luggage to Japan last November and had no problem thru Canadian, American or Japanese customs control. I packed the GPSr inside a Tupperware container with a few washcloths to protect it.

When leaving USA to Japan, the security took one look inside the container and closed it with no questions asked.

No problem.

Edited by Fuzzywhip