Religious caches

I don't see the issue. It's a book where puzzle answers can be found. Even better, it's a book that has been sliced and diced online, so you don't even need to read it to find the puzzle answers.

If there were more paragraphs urging you to go to church and talk to a minister about the questions and answers, that'd be different.

Using the Bible as a reference source is OK. Going on and on about what a wonderful book it is would constitute an agenda.

Oh, and it's a wonderful book. :lol:

I don't see the issue. It's a book where puzzle answers can be found. Even better, it's a book that has been sliced and diced online, so you don't even need to read it to find the puzzle answers.

If there were more paragraphs urging you to go to church and talk to a minister about the questions and answers, that'd be different.

Using the Bible as a reference source is OK. Going on and on about what a wonderful book it is would constitute an agenda.

Dang, couldn't post fast enough.

Basically what he said. I read the pages and I only saw the Bible being used as a book puzzle. No threat to anyone well adjusted and secure in their self esteem.

BTW- I'm Agnostic and I wish to God people would stop thinkin' that makes me an Atheist. :lol:

Requiring a person to read a bible to find a cache is pushing a christian agenda. I do not care how you want to sugar coat it, that is what it is.

Go to the library, find "the complete works of Shakespeare vol 1 ©1856 ..." turn to page 10 paragraph 2, count the number of letters in the 5th word this is "A".

Would this cache be "soliciting" customers for the library or for a renaissance of Shakespeare?

Sounds like a case of "religiophobia" to me.

They are puzzles referring to a book. In fact, it is probably the most suitable book for this type of puzzle because it is easily indexed, readily available and very precise in its wording over multiple revisions.

The fact that the book is a sacred book does not in any way make these caches religious "solicitation".

Requiring a person to read a bible to find a cache is pushing a christian agenda. I do not care how you want to sugar coat it, that is what it is.

First off you aren't required to read it. You can pass. I know of caches that require that I watch a certain movie. Not interested, so I pass.

Second, I don't see the the Bible as a Christian agenda. Its a book of historic significance. To me its also a very nice fairy tale. I am not threatened by it.

Edited by briansnat

Do the particular verses outline an agenda? Can you point out your position with facts?

Although I have several versions, I don't presume to know the bible. The way I see it, just because the book is of a religious nature it's STILL only a book.

I'd be fine with a book code made from the Koran as well. Heck, I have a Koran too, I may just try my hand at using it for a book code. :lol:

I'd be fine with a book code made from the Koran as well. Heck, I have a Koran too, I may just try my hand at using it for a book code. :lol:

NO! Don't use THAT book... the FBI will tap your phone and kick your cat on thursdays. (freedom of religion dontcha know) :lol:

OBTW "freedom of religion" was NEVER meant to be "freedom FROM religion". If you are looking for that you won't find it on THIS Earth. And the only way to LEAVE is to die... Well... I guess THEN you will know true FREEDOM... or NOT :lol:

Edited by Confucius' Cat

I would choose not to do any of these caches. As I choose not to do other sorts of caches.

I have not, nor will I compare various versions of the bible to see how the numbers compare.

The various translations of the bible are subject to misinterpretation or different interpretations. Once upon a time, I had a very lively discussion on a discussion board concerning the number of animals on the ark, comparing three different versions of the bible. The answers were very different. But, my youthful argumentative days are behind me.

Having grown up in a church which considered its version of the bible to be the only true one (I should imagine that there are many churches like this), asking a follower of that religion to read another version for clues to a cache is asking them to violate their religious beliefs.

And, so, I would have to say that these caches are inappropriate.

But, since these caches are approved, one could cite page numbers or verses from any book published, no matter how inappropriate another might consider the book.

NO! Don't use THAT book... the FBI will tap your phone and kick your cat on thursdays. (freedonm of religion dontcha know) :lol:

I don't have a cat, but on a serious note, I'd be surprised if some government agency wasn't listening in on most of my calls.

First off you aren't required to read it. You can pass. I know of caches that require that I watch a certain movie. Not interested, so I pass.

Second, I don't see the the Bible as a Christian agenda. Its a book of historic significance. To me its also a very nice fairy tale. I am not threatened by it.

In my Ancient History class in college, we used the bible for a good majority of the semester. It has some of the oldest and largest amounts of written material that gives a window into the past. This is a secular college and was in no way a religious class. We even went through the New Testament and went through the whole crucifixion of Jesus. :lol:

On the one hand, it would seem that a book-based puzzle cache would best be done with a book originally written in the English language, so that there would be only one version.

As far as this inane fear of the Bible is concerned...get over it. No one is forcing you to suppress your beliefs. Why are you trying so hard to make them to suppress theirs? Freedom of religion is about letting people be who they are (on the other hand, if it means letting GC.com reject caches that go against it's ground rules, then that's fair too).

Now, let's sing: I've got to me me...

Yes, I agree with what Lep said!

Is it me, or is this turning into one crazy month?

Edit: I take that back. Considering the last two years, it's right on schedule.

Dude/Dudette... you change yor icon more than a traffic light changes color... I log on just to see what pix you have at the time!

Scott

ps I don't have a problem with it...it's a book....

But, since these caches are approved, one could cite page numbers or verses from any book published, no matter how inappropriate another might consider the book.

Not so. Remember that the site Terms of Use also apply to cache page contents, not just the listing guidelines.

There are hundreds of published caches based on Bible puzzles. This batch is pretty tame compared to some I've seen. Pretty much a no-brainer for the "publish" button.

Dude/Dudette... you change your icon more than a traffic light changes color... I log on just to see what pix you have at the time!

Scott

Family, clear your internet browser cache memory. That'll fix that icon change issue.

And as for that book, I will fear no evil. :lol:

edited due to quote problems probably caused by sunspot activity.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Dang, couldn't post fast enough.

Basically what he said. I read the pages and I only saw the Bible being used as a book puzzle. No threat to anyone well adjusted and secure in their self esteem.

BTW- I'm Agnostic and I wish to God people would stop thinkin' that makes me an Atheist. :lol:

Another Agnostisist checking in here. (that's probably not really a word, I just made it up). There is no problem here. It's a book. If you don't have a copy, check into a motel room :lol:

On the one hand, it would seem that a book-based puzzle cache would best be done with a book originally written in the English language, so that there would be only one version.

As far as this inane fear of the Bible is concerned...get over it. No one is forcing you to suppress your beliefs. Why are you trying so hard to make them to suppress theirs? Freedom of religion is about letting people be who they are (on the other hand, if it means letting GC.com reject caches that go against it's ground rules, then that's fair too).

Now, let's sing: I've got to me me...

hear hear.

typical

Dude/Dudette... you change your icon more than a traffic light changes color... I log on just to see what pix you have at the time!

Scott

Family, clear your internet browser cache memory. That'll fix that icon change issue.

I'm not buying it. I swear that Avatar changes daily.

NO! Don't use THAT book... the FBI will tap your phone and kick your cat on thursdays. (freedom of religion dontcha know) :lol:

OBTW "freedom of religion" was NEVER meant to be "freedom FROM religion". If you are looking for that you won't find it on THIS Earth. And the only way to LEAVE is to die... Well... I guess THEN you will know true FREEDOM... or NOT :lol:

Very nicely said, especially the last ten words.

Anyhoo, since I have no fear of being exposed to varying and differing beliefs I don't really mind if there were an agenda. If I read Bible verses like, Romans 10:9-10 (King James Version) where it says stuff like, "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation," to get coordinates for a cache it is nothing but getting coordinates for a cache unless I choose to believe and accept what it says.

It's that free-will thing where I can even choose to ignore such caches completely.

From Guidlines

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

Well now wait a minute, those Diabetes TBs seem to me to have an agenda so maybe sometimes the above isn't true. (I don't find the TBs threatening or annoying.) I like theme caches- Something different from the same old same old.

I second the motion for keeping geocaching a light and fun activity. I've been thinking about sending a TB out that asks people to pray for our troops and peace in the world. Hmm... an agenda?

The Geocache Listing Guidelines don't apply to travel bugs.

I would enjoy finding the one you described. :lol:

I also enjoyed moving my Unite for Diabetes TB.

OK, back to Bible Puzzle Caches. Most are easily solved by going to BibleGateway.com and searching for text or for chapter and verse. So like I said, you don't even need the book, or to read any more than the snippet returned by the search engine.

These caches no more push an agenda than another in this area which requires using Harry Potter books as a reference.

For the most part, you can google the answers. Don't worry, you won't learn enough from this research to be brainwashed. :lol:

Or, if truly offended, hit ignore.

Johnny LIGHTEN UP!

No one is "requiring" you to do anything. You don't have to find this cache if you don't like it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to find the cache.

Just because the Bible is used as part of a puzzle doesn't disqualify it nor does it violate the guidelines. No where in the cache listing does it solicit or promote any agenda. Can you for just one moment, overlook your hang ups on the Bible and look at it as a just piece of literature. Would you be as worked up if the text used were Charles Darwin's "On the Origin of Species", a book on Numerology, or even Michel de Nostredame's Quatrains? Probably NOT.

If some religeous nut-job where to make the same argument against the use of any of these texts, you probably would be singing a different tune.

Try keeping an open mind and you may learn something about literature and the similarities the Bible has with other books. No one is asking you to believe or "buy" into anything it as to say.

Ok. So making me go to the library to read Edgar Allen Poe would be an agenda also. Where does this end? You're the one that has an agenda and it is against Christianity, not the other way around. I looked at those caches and they are not pushing an agenda. You can find an agenda in anything if you look hard enough, but I think it's pretty clear that the cache owner was not pushing his religion on you.

Let's all relax.. If you don't want to do the cache, then skip to the next one.

Can you for just one moment, overlook your hang ups on the Bible and look at it as a just piece of literature. Would you be as worked up if the text used were Charles Darwin's "On the Origin of Species", a book on Numerology, or even Michel de Nostredame's Quatrains? Probably NOT.

If some religeous nut-job where to make the same argument against the use of any of these texts, you probably would be singing a different tune.

Yep. I find the book and movie, "The DaVinci Code," quite offensive. But you didn't see me or anyone else start a negative forum thread about it. Rather, I recognized that the contents of that book provide very good material for puzzle caches and cache series. I would choose not to do those caches but if others have fun with them, that's cool.

Scott

I'm not buying it. I swear that Avatar changes daily.

I look up to him so much. I can never aspire to such greatness. :lol:

....Requiring a person to read a bible to find a cache is pushing a christian agenda. I do not care how you want to sugar coat it, that is what it is.

Did you read the bible or just the the bits that solve the puzzle, or just complain? Do you recall the words on every plaque or sign on every virtual you have ever done? Obsorbing and memorizing that which contains the puzzle is optional on your part and most people opt out by default. Having to read the entire thing to be emailed a clue would probably not fly. But then I doubt you could use "The Davinci Code" a book much discussed and enjoyed by many a cacher for the same purpose and get it approved.

NO! Don't use THAT book... the FBI will tap your phone and kick your cat on thursdays. (freedonm of religion dontcha know) :lol:

I don't have a cat, but on a serious note, I'd be surprised if some government agency wasn't listening in on most of my calls.

Let's not forget those CARNIVOREs out there...

Clear violation of the guidelines.

only those with a religious agenda would excuse this. if the book was the koran you'd see different attitudes on those same people.

all of those should have a SBA posted.

Edited by Bad_CRC

From Guidlines

Solicitations are also off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda. ...

Solicitations are different from agendas. A hooker working a corner has an angenda. But until she solicits the police can't touch her. As for "geocaching is supposed to be a light fun activity"...anyone who says that normally has an agenda about their lack of fun and are about to solicit a change they think will do the trick for them. Mostly though they should just have fun.

only those with a religious agenda would excuse this. if the book was the koran you'd see different attitudes on those same people.

The bible is written in characters that have pagan roots. :lol:

Thats something with more meat on it to ponder.

I didn't see the solicitation in the one cache I examined. You need to show me the specific problem.

I'm an athiest. I'm a reviewer. I'd publish these. If a cache used the Quoran as a source of coordinate numbers, I'd publish that too, if that was all the book was used for.

I guess that invalidates your bold assertion!

I've also placed a Christmas-themed cache, even though I don't believe in, or require the belief in, any of the various creeds that this season stands for.

You're probably right.

But if it bothers you so much you should use this opportunity to educate our fellow cachers. Hide a puzzle cache based on Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion. Turn about is fair play, eh?

QUOTE(JohnnyVegas @ Jan 5 2007, 08:21 PM) *

Indeed !! and if the bible is in american english, a french could see that in addition this cache promotes american supremacy and should be removed twice ! :lol:

I am not a religious person but I do not see any issue with this. Before seeking a cache, you are supposed to read the description. If it hurts your religious belief or lack of, it is up to you to decide to look for it.

The bible is not a subversive book, is it ? Besides the bible is at the root of our western civilisation which I am proud of.

Read the post about the "perfect cache".

I am fed up with the dictatorship of the PC.

I've created a list of caches that "FIT" your concept of guideline violations. I'd love to hear exactly how these are okay according to your interpretation of the guidelines? Maybe because these aren't "Christian" related?????

Sierra Club Cache - This could be considered an agenda.. You against this?

GCHAY1, GCQMA6, GCZD4P, GCZD4Q, GCZD4R, GCZD4T, GCZD4V, GCZD4W, GCZD4X

There are many more DaVinci Code caches, but these are just a few. Please share with us how these are not a violation according to your view?

This cache is clearly in violation for the celebration of a pagan ritual

Uh oh! It's the Happy Halloween Cache. Clearly promoting a pagan agenda

This one supports the war over in Iraq. Clearly an agenda

As a dog owner, I find cats to be offensive, therefore this cache is offensive

This one promotes a belief in ghosts and spirits

What do you say we just get rid of the whole lot of em'? :lol:

I've created a list of caches that "FIT" your concept of guideline violations. I'd love to hear exactly how these are okay according to your interpretation of the guidelines? Maybe because these aren't "Christian" related?????

Sierra Club Cache - This could be considered an agenda.. You against this?

GCHAY1, GCQMA6, GCZD4P, GCZD4Q, GCZD4R, GCZD4T, GCZD4V, GCZD4W, GCZD4X

There are many more DaVinci Code caches, but these are just a few. Please share with us how these are not a violation according to your view?

This cache is clearly in violation for the celebration of a pagan ritual

Uh oh! It's the Happy Halloween Cache. Clearly promoting a pagan agenda

This one supports the war over in Iraq. Clearly an agenda

As a dog owner, I find cats to be offensive, therefore this cache is offensive

This one promotes a belief in ghosts and spirits

What do you say we just get rid of the whole lot of em'? :lol:

Every cache promotes an agenda of sorts. I place my caches to introduce people to cool places. That's my agenda.

The question is when does a cache step over the line? Using a Bible as the basis of a puzzle cache clearly does not step over the line. Why? Because the reviewers say it doesn't and they are the arbiters of what is appropriate and what isn't, not Bad_CRC or JohnnyVegas.

<snip>

In fact, it is probably the most suitable book for this type of puzzle because it is easily indexed, readily available and very precise in its wording over multiple revisions.

<snip>

Problem is there are many versions of this book around and no agreement on which is the 'correct' version. Some questions can be answered by any version, but any that depend on counting words or such things are suspect.

<snip>

In fact, it is probably the most suitable book for this type of puzzle because it is easily indexed, readily available and very precise in its wording over multiple revisions.

<snip>

Problem is there are many versions of this book around and no agreement on which is the 'correct' version. Some questions can be answered by any version, but any that depend on counting words or such things are suspect.

Sure, but the versions, themselves, are standard and easily available. If I did a puzzle based on the KJV Bible, everyone could get their hands on one.

<snip>

<snip>

Sure, but the versions, themselves, are standard and easily available. If I did a puzzle based on the KJV Bible, everyone could get their hands on one.

And look at how the cache owner acknowledged the possibility of version variation, and told us which ones to use. [King James] To switcheth from New International Version to King James version, thou needest but to picketh a version of choice from the menu that droppeth down. [/ King James] One mouseclick on the Bible Gateway website. Yeah, versions are a problem. :lol:

Hey, here's a thought. Compasses have lots of versions. Owners don't specify all the time whether they mean magnetic north or true north. And the declination is different all over the world, so if you do a compass offset cache in a different part of the world, you need to "switch versions."

Let's archive all those caches that require a compass. :lol:

My first reaction on reading the guidelines was "uh oh..." since if this cache is rejected than some of the ones I was thinking about eventually listing are also off limits. I don't have much of an interest in biblically themed caches, but I do have an interest in local and urban agriculture and "green mapping" both of which could be interpreted as pushing environmental agendas. Given that I would be interested in developing these partly to introduce other people to some ideas that I find fun and interesting, I certainly don't have a problem with someone else doing the same thing with what they find of value. Obviously there's a pragmatic line somewhere in here that's going to be difficult to define, as it probably should be, but I don't think these caches cross it.

look this debate is getting way out of hand! the bottom line is IT IS A BOOK!!! no different than me having you use an encyclopedia to look for answers to a cache..uh oh look an agenda...I'm publishing knowledge! Gimme a break.... believe what you want.... don't believe what you want... YOU HAVE A CHOICE.... and in the immortal words of the band Rush.... if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.... personally i have no problem using any type of "prop" to decipher a puzzle cache. i have read the Satanic Bible... B) but in no way am i a Satan Worshipper. if there was a cache that used this item for a cache i would use it and be done with it. how about using Miss Decembers measurements from the 1987 Playboy...someone have a problem with that?...am i now pushing the nudity agenda.....this debate can go forever...I say kill the thread...

Scott...

I swear to God I'm an Atheist! :D

Oh, and it's a wonderful book. :D

First off your are not required to find the cache or even look for it, so if it is your wish not to look in the a book (the book) to find the need information so be it. Go find another cache....

Edited by MN-CACHE-TRACKER

i have seen caches that use references to harry potter... is that pushing a witchcraft agenda? :D

i have seen caches that use references to harry potter... is that pushing a witchcraft agenda? :D

Yeah, where are all the muggle-use haters? Shouldn't they be "preaching" against these caches? B)