How do you cache?

I am wondering if I am going about this the best way, so heres a description of what I do. What do you do? Is there a better method?

I usually choose a location via memory map on the pc, I have a full set of geocaches in there downloaded from http://www.geocacheuk.org/ occasionally. Because this is a database of 15000 caches it does make mm run very slowly if I want to look at the properties of any tracks, marks, routes etc.

Having chosen an area I visit geocaching.com and copy the details into a mark on memory map on the pda. Sometimes I printout the page but ussually just copy the coords and clue into memory map on the pda.

Is there a way of getting the web page itself onto the pda?

Is there a way of automating this without flooding the pda with 15000 marks, the pda couldnt cope with that.

I am wondering if I am going about this the best way, so heres a description of what I do. What do you do? Is there a better method?

I usually choose a location via memory map on the pc, I have a full set of geocaches in there downloaded from http://www.geocacheuk.org/ occasionally. Because this is a database of 15000 caches it does make mm run very slowly if I want to look at the properties of any tracks, marks, routes etc.

Having chosen an area I visit geocaching.com and copy the details into a mark on memory map on the pda. Sometimes I printout the page but ussually just copy the coords and clue into memory map on the pda.

Is there a way of automating this without flooding the pda with 15000 marks, the pda couldnt cope with that.

I use Cachemate, then as a premium member you can download all of the details, hints and the last few logs direct to your PDA.

I know of another programme that will do this and you can upload a copy of the map. Don't know how good it is though, however I do get on with Cache Mate.

I am pretty new to all this so will let some of the more experienced folk give ya some answers too!

Garmin 60csx

Ipaq 4700

BT-338 Bluetooth GPSr

GSAK

Geocaching.com Premium membership.

Memory Map V4...v.important [:blink:]

PQ whole UK DB then filter for weeks caching.

Export custom csv.file to MM then send Icons to PDA using a "Hybrid version" of roolku's excellent script.

This sends custom icons to Pocket Navigator (MM on PDA).

Export HTML files to PC, then Drag to SD card on PDA...so that when I click on Icon in Pocket Nav on PDA it

brings up an off-line version of the cache page with all the past logs hints and corrected coords etc.

Send same waypoints to GRSr including hint and additional parking waypoints etc.

Use Mapsource on 60csx to autoroute me to either the parking waypoint or the nearest point on the road to the cache site. At this point I change from "Follow Road" to "Off Road" Also have PDA running Pocket Nav using Bluetooth GPSr so that I can see my exact position in relation to PROW's for the best route once I leave the car.

I usually try to find the cache without prior knowledge of the hint...then if needs be either read the abbrieviated version on the GPSr or take out the PDA and read the full version..past logs etc...

Well that's how I do it.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by The Mars Bars

Premium membership to get queries

Pop those into EasyGPS to get the way point data onto my GPS

Using the same query, I put those into CacheMate so I can look up data on my cheapo Palm. Cachemate costs about £4.50 (it costs 8 US dollars).

That's it! I also like taking an OS Explorer map with me so I have a 1:25000 scale map showing me rights of way blah blah. Useful, when like most geocachers, you may not be familiar with the area.

Works for me!

Scott

A PDA, Mio 550 and memory map. I use http://www.geocacheuk.org/ for the database (with a search that's only 25 kms around where I am, so as not to have a too huge (and slow) database), which I then load into memory map to get the flags on the map. I do a Pocket Query and use GpxSonar for the more detailed data, which displays the data just like the geocache.com page, with pocket internet explorer, so it's the web page you asked for. I can even get the pictures if I access the cache info while the Mio is hooked up (and the pictures go into the IE cache, so I can also access the pics while in the field).

For more tricky caches, if I know I'm about to do one, I also print out the details to paper, so it's easy to consult them while looking at the map on the Mio.

Other important items of equipment - a 1,000,000 candlepower searchlight, several meters of rope (I'm not into caving, but the rope makes getting down into pits and down slippery slopes, a lot easier and safer). A Leatherman (pliers, knife, saw etc), monocular, compass, camera, spare batteries. Mobile phone, first aid kit, extra sweater, gloves to protect the hands while groping blindly inside things (there's so much broken glass around), walking pole, hat (acts as a shade against the sun, and also keeps scratchy thorns off my head). Boots, boots, boots, boots.

And most crucial and important - ladysolly.

PQ whole UK DB then filter for weeks caching.

Export custom csv.file to MM then send Icons to PDA using a "Hybrid version" of roolku's excellent script.

This sends custom icons to Pocket Navigator (MM on PDA).

Export HTML files to PC, then Drag to SD card on PDA...so that when I click on Icon in Pocket Nav on PDA it

brings up an off-line version of the cache page with all the past logs hints and corrected coords etc.

Send same waypoints to GRSr including hint and additional parking waypoints etc.

Sounds complicated but the whole schabang takes 15 mins once a week as GSAK downloads 30+ PQ's and installs them automatically using GetMail feature.

I don't need cachemate so that saves me $8 :blink: and roolku's script is FOC. :D

Offline cache pages displayed using IE on the PDA

Cheers

Dave

Program the Geko, take my notebook with details of cache etc, get on the bus with a map and my trusty hiking pole. Bottle of water and some munchies. Not forgetting the swaps. :blink:

Decide in general terms where I want to go.

Search for nearby caches using the Google maps link and see if there are a bunch of caches nearby that I have not yet done.

use a PQ to get cache details and then filter list to produce a nice target set of caches using GSAK.

Upload caches and local maps to GPS (VistaCX)

Upload waypoints to Memory Map and print out maps.

Print out condensed version of cache info (via GSAK). I have been paperless, but cache pages means you can write down numbers and make notes as you go along!

Compaq IPAQ 3950

With CF Sleve and BT-337 CF GPSr

S/w

Memory Map

GSAC

Cachemate

I just use the local areas that i will be caching in GPX files uploaded into the iPAQ

the icons are LE's with a slightly modiied version of Rolouku's script to make the names

of the cache more readable on the iPAQ with its shor cache name field.

just swoped the cache description and name lines around just need to work out n how to get the GC code into the name insted of the Non CG code.

Adrian.

1) decide on an area

2) from GSAK (full UK database, updated daily) filter 'un-found' on a 20(ish) mile radius

3) too many caches... filter out all puzzle & mystery caches

4) still too many caches... filter out anything that isn't a 'trad'

5) STILL too many caches... filter out all micros

6) that's better.... dump remaining 40 or so to MemoryMap

7) pick about a dozen or so that look promising (good walk and location, nearby trig-points, possibly using the same parking etc.)

8) on GSAK check recent logs for any problems

9) identify and 'mark' likely parking places if not already given

10) print off a map section(s) showing chosen caches and other relevant waypoints

11) download all waypoints to GPS60CSx

12) using CacheMate on my iQue 3600 (full UK database, updated daily), 'bookmark' chosen caches.

13) as iQue is also 'sat-nav', turn parking co-ords into navigable 'waypoints' (easy, peasy with this device)

Fire up the turbo diesel and off we jolly well go

:laughing::laughing::ph34r:

GPS Map60CSx

Mio a201

Premium Membership

CacheMate

MemoryMap

PC program (similar to Rooku script) which creates MemoryMap overlays containing coloured cache icons which hotlink to CacheMate.

Download PQ file, convert GPX files into overlay, use MemoryMap on PC to find a nice cache group, program GPS co-ords and transfer overlay to PDA. Update CacheMate database. Hit the road.

We don't use much in the way of gadgets ....poor or what?

Computor

Printer & paper

Etrex and or Legend

"Street map "printout and /or Ordnance survey maps

Road map

Pen or pencil

and usual walking gear and provisions

To save paper we rarely print off any previous logs

Edited by t.a.folk

most of the time I:

choose a location

PQ the area and about 30 miles around it (to allow cahng en route to it!)

filter out the mysterys and some of the multis

download to Palm Vx and Tom Tom Go300 and to Legend

Other times I beg a GPX file from someone I'm cachng with, download to GPS and go.

Let someone else drive and worry about parking etc!!!

hee hee!!

The most invaluable piece of kit is my notelbook so I can make notes if I'm doing lots of caches. How else am I supposed to remember which cache was which??!!

I tend to:

Choose a cache as central to my proposed location as possible.

Set up PQ's (Premium membership) around it.

Download the results into my: Legend/Memory Map/GSAK on my PDA

Plan my route and off I go.

To save paper I tend to pencil mark the location of caches on either a OS map or streetmap, unless there are so many printing out a MM sheet is easier.

I also bring a notebook like Hazel as its invaluable for cache noting, clue solving for multi-caches and on the spot calculations. I CBA to manually type in the took/left details into my PDA so write that in my notebook too. Oddly its quicker that way :laughing:

eTrex

Often an OS Map

Bicycle

Printouts

I should be able to go paperless easily, if I could afford the PDA.

You don't need an expensive PDA - as I say I use a cheapo palm, which you can pickup on eBay for 15 or 20 notes. The low end Palms have the other advantage is that they DON'T have a backlight - so the battery last AGES in them. 6 weeks - 8 weeks is not uncommon for mine!

I have a Handsping Visor Edge and what I particualr ylike about it is that is got a metal casing so takes some bashing and chucking about in my geo-bag (so I can just grab and know I have TB's, PDA, GPS and other TLAs!!) :laughing:

On the 3 I have found so far I print out a copy of the cache description (at work, so much easier on the ink :laughing: ) then I use the British grid reference to locate the cache on the O/S map so I have a mental picture. I am lucky, having spent a lifetime looking at maps I can see them in 3-D. (Does this make me odd?) Then I program the co-ords into the E-Trax and of I go.

I take the paper description with me so I have all the information.

Oh and not forgetting a compass, you really need one of these :laughing: get's you out of a pickle.

I prefer the simple approach, less to break or crash or mislead you.

The slow way.....

I imput the co-ords manually into Geraldine (my GPS60) and the parking coords into Thomas (my TTG), before photographing the streetmap link on the computer screen with my digital camera - so easy and no cost printing off maps!!!! Then off I head in Minnie (the car) with the clues scribbled on a piece of paper incase I need them later!

Not very hi-tec but it suits me..... :laughing:

.......but maybe I should quit naming inanimate objects!!!!! :laughing:

The slow way.....

I imput the co-ords manually into Geraldine (my GPS60) and the parking coords into Thomas (my TTG), before photographing the streetmap link on the computer screen with my digital camera - so easy and no cost printing off maps!!!! Then off I head in Minnie (the car) with the clues scribbled on a piece of paper incase I need them later!

hehe I think its really cute that your travellng companions all have names :laughing: But what is the comuter called?

The slow way.....

hehe I think its really cute that your travellng companions all have names :laughing: But what is the comuter called?

Einstein ---- the source of all knowledge!

Have you noticed that most of the people who spend loads of money on kit (pda's, memory map etc.) and justify it by saying they are going paperless, still print out sheets or carry notebooks. :laughing:

I have to add myself to this list although I really just wanted the kit and wasn't too concerned about the paperless angle. :laughing:

The main difference for me was that more caches are visited as having all the info with you gives you more options in the field.

Get a Dave MarsBar

Walk behind him with no electrical gubbins turned on (saves batteries)

When in immediate vicinity of cache turn pda/gps etc on, by the time it's warmed up he should have found the cache

When it looks like he's found the cache but before he's touched it move in close and say "There it is"

Get in quick and open box

Say "Ooh, look, a nice shiney coin, would you like a look Dave?" :laughing:

Return to car and say "Well, that was an easy one, where next?"

I can't be too rude, I'll need something computery sorting out soon :laughing:

Have you noticed that most of the people who spend loads of money on kit (pda's, memory map etc.) and justify it by saying they are going paperless, still print out sheets or carry notebooks. :laughing:

I have to add myself to this list although I really just wanted the kit and wasn't too concerned about the paperless angle. :laughing:

The main difference for me was that more caches are visited as having all the info with you gives you more options in the field.

I have managed to go completley paperless. use the notpad in the iPAQ for notes or the note feature in cahcemate for the logs.

the Navman in thew car has all the caches on it at the time its updated and there is always the wap site if info is needed in the field and not in the organiser.

I am sure there are better ways of managaging perperless caching but the way i use works for me.

I like the idear of holding a local UK databes on the laptop then upload whats needed onto the ipaq might have to look at that some time.

Adrian.

Have you noticed that most of the people who spend loads of money on kit (pda's, memory map etc.) and justify it by saying they are going paperless, still print out sheets or carry notebooks. :)

I have to add myself to this list although I really just wanted the kit and wasn't too concerned about the paperless angle. :D

My Mio550 crashes about twice per day. When it crashes, I have to do a hard reset, and so everything that's in memory is lost. I can protect against this by doing a save every so often, but Memory Map takes a couple of minutes to exit properly (it's saving all the overlay) and gpxsonar is also slowish to exit (and therefore save). So, I'd lose the notes. That's why I write notes (such as, info gleaned to do a multi) on paper. It's just a lot more secure!

No - for me, "paperless" caching works like this.

When we started, I'd print out a few cache listings, and carry them when we left the car. As a result, we were tied to what I'd thought to print out. Now, while we're out, the PDA has all the info for all the caches in that area, so we have a lot more flexibility. I still print out the listings for caches that are complicated; I find it easier to read things on paper. But if we decide to zoom off to another spot, we have the info with us to do the cache.

Have you noticed that most of the people who spend loads of money on kit (pda's, memory map etc.) and justify it by saying they are going paperless, still print out sheets or carry notebooks. :blink:

My Palm is an ancient model bought cheaply on eBay and my version of Memory Map is quite old. I cant afford either a newer handheld nor Memory Map, and my Palm is too old to take mapping software - I use it for GSAK and Cachemate which is worth the registration fee tenfold. So there :ph34r::ph34r::anibad:

You can buy older Palms from £10 on eBay :ph34r:

Edited by Alice Band

1) decide on an area

2) from GSAK (full UK database, updated daily) filter 'un-found' on a 20(ish) mile radius

3) too many caches... filter out all puzzle & mystery caches

4) still too many caches... filter out anything that isn't a 'trad'

5) STILL too many caches... filter out all micros

6) that's better.... dump remaining 40 or so to MemoryMap

7) pick about a dozen or so that look promising (good walk and location, nearby trig-points, possibly using the same parking etc.)

8) on GSAK check recent logs for any problems

9) identify and 'mark' likely parking places if not already given

10) print off a map section(s) showing chosen caches and other relevant waypoints

11) download all waypoints to GPS60CSx

12) using CacheMate on my iQue 3600 (full UK database, updated daily), 'bookmark' chosen caches.

13) as iQue is also 'sat-nav', turn parking co-ords into navigable 'waypoints' (easy, peasy with this device)

Fire up the turbo diesel and off we jolly well go

:blink::ph34r::ph34r:

Similar to Pharisee, But once I have identified the caches thought likely I then make up a little table in MSWord, 3 columns wide, with cache name, setter and coords in col one, decrpyted clues in col 2 and size M, S or R in col3. and make note of coin if there. Read the description and pick up any other hints and put that note into col 2. Download that to PDA with Fugawi map extract with waypoints.

Difficult to go wrong after that unless doing something difficult like Alchemy. :anibad:

My advice is to keep it light, but I would add that having a bluetooth gps reciever with the PDA would be a better way to go in the field as all you have to do is clip the gps to your clothing and then all you have to carry is your PDA.

Ok, so I've not done many yet, but I'll look up the caches in the area where I will be working that day, download a LOC file and put it into my GPS using Mapsource. After I've had my lunch I'll go for a wander and see if I can find any caches in the vicinity of my car. Not very hi-tec but I enjoy it. I'll get me a Premium membership sometime and be a little more organised about it, but for now my way suits me.

Stefan