Hints

Alboy

I'll be open and say I almost always look at the hint, normally before I've got to a cache site. :huh:

I should try I guess to see if I get more satisfaction from not using the hint, (somehow I suspect not, but have never really tried) or seeing if it makes much difference to the length of time on site hunting.

I'm curious to know what other people do with hints? :rolleyes:

Are you all much better than me in not using them until you've exhausted all other options?!

Or are we all ramant cheats like me?! :rolleyes:

Started off not looking at them unless I couldn't find the cache. Nowadays I generally read them before reaching ground zero. Once in a while I try without the hint but I think my patience is deserting me. When Jane is with me she nearly always finds it first anyway :rolleyes:

I do get annoyed when the hint is next to useless, like on Dartmoor when it says " under rock" :rolleyes:

I'm curious to know what other people do with hints? <_<

what I do with them.. read them! ;);)

Seriously, often lazy me hunts with nothing but the waypoint. Then I may read the page, and hint and go back, or not. Or.. if we are serious about going out to do a few will print off the pages (or not).. and then would read the hint. As forgetful as I am, I'd have to have it in my hand looking at it for it to do the most good! :)

So.. it just depends!

We have to confess that we don't usually don't read the cache page before setting out. We usually decide where to go caching using the improved download from GSAK to Memory-Map. We can then see on the map where there is a clump of uncharted traditional caches and head for the area.

We prefer rural locations that involve a good bike ride or long walks with a traditional cache at the end and for the same reason tend to avoid urban and micros. We do mop them up later but only when we run out of reachable alternatives. We regularly cycle 30 - 40 miles on a round trip to a single cache.

I normally update my Ipaq (Gpsonar) and GPS unit (Vista Cx) each weekend from GSAK with the cache details in the Ipaq, co-ords in the Vista.

We then use the Vista to guide us to the cache whether by car, bike or walking. When we get to the location, we search for the cache. If we don't find it, then we consult the cache page and the clue.

Yes! this slap-dash way of caching has resulted in some classic upcocks (pitching up without a neccessary graphic, swap or leaving things when told not to, driving up roads one shouldn't) but on the other hand, it does enable us to go on the spur of the moment either when at home, visiting others or when Bernie is away travelling on business.

We try to find the cache first without the hint. We look first, then read logs for any more subtle hints, then go for the real hint. The exceptions being when there are muggles around, and also when we are in a hurry when we will often go for the hint before appraoching the cache. Micros in a forest often mean we look at the hint earlier rather than later but as the clue often is in a tree you do sometimes wonder.

Sue

We started trying not to look at them until we came back home to log our finds/DNFs. But the more we did that the more we felt that most hints were really not hints so much as falling into two categories 1. the exact location (under the second tree on the north side) or 2. insults such as "Do you really need one?". So, we have started treating the hints as part of the description, we don't waste time in the woods to have some joker tell us "Its a camo'd ammo under a tree". I feel better already, my vent is now over.

Try not to look at the clue before arriving a ground zero, but after 3 of 4 minutes searching I get so frustrated I look.

It's old age...

:laughing:

I have a quick rummage at the obvious spots 1st,then I go for the hint big time.But I don't look at Mr Dewdrop's

SPOILER pics until I get back home...But may be I should!! :)

Most of the time I will decrypt them before the visit but will not look at them until I have had a look. Sometimes I will just use them straight off, but I normally give it a go without them and often manage it that makes me feel good.

Personally I believe the hint should be short (from manual decryption) and unambiguous, normally clearly identifying where the cache is. I acknowledge that there are caches where this logic in inappropriate and others do not share my view though.

... normally clearly identifying where the cache is. I acknowledge that there are caches where this logic in inappropriate and others do not share my view though.

Too right! I don't like hints like this and I would also not strictly describe this as a 'hint'!

I read them when I need them, and like the others, if it's a micro in a muggle rich area I will go in having already read the hint to be in and out the more discreetly. I enjoy hints which are slightly cryptik / humerous / a pun. I expect a hint to give me more information and be helpful, but not just to describe the precise location of the cache. If a cache is rated as 1/1 then put more info in the hint, if it's rated as 5/5 put less.

Saw a classic one this weekend - "Call yourself a geocacher?" :anicute:

Saw a classic one this weekend - "Call yourself a geocacher?" :P

As someone who occationally decrypts manually I find this less funny. :anicute:

Actually, in the context of this (easy to find) cache, it was actually amusing (and what I didn't say was that there were two further clues given too, just in case you didn't find it) visit cache page and see for yourself. I do agree that manually decrypting a clue in the rain in the woods to discover it says something like 'you don't need one' does go somewhat beyond the realms of light entertainment!

We use the hint if we are really stuck or if it is in a muggle invested area. Tried to do one on holiday last week and decided to unscramble the clue as there were loads of muggles around and we did not want to draw attention to ourselves. When we had the clue we were still in the dark as it refered to a track on a certain album....as we were out in the middle of a field we had no idea what the answer was! Doh! In the end logged it as a failed to find and gave up...very frustrating.