Woss it all about, then ?

Pharisee

What is it with all these silly word games that are cropping up in this forum? What the %^&* have they got to do with geocaching? Before long there'll be more of them than there are congratulations threads. If people want to play this sort of rubbish, there are plenty of other places on the internet where they can indulge their childish whims without cluttering up a serious (and I use the term loosely) forum.

Come on, moderators.... surely they're 'off topic' enough for you to jump on them and close them down as you surely would (and have done in the past) any other non geocaching related threads.

Edited by Pharisee

I agree that the latest "word game" has little or nothing to do with Geocaching and I personally see no point to it. However quite a few people seem to enjoy joining in.

Yes, I considered closing it down yesterday but decided to let it run in the hope and expectation that it would die a death naturally. While OT it is quite benign.

However don't consider it a precedent and if there are too many similar threads cluttering up this forum I shall "wield the axe" on them.

What is it with all these silly word games that are cropping up in this forum? What the %^&* have they got to do with geocaching? Before long there'll be more of them than there are congratulations threads. If people want to play this sort of rubbish, there are plenty of other places on the internet where they can indulge their childish whims without cluttering up a serious (and I use the term loosely) forum.

Come on, moderators.... surely they're 'off topic' enough for you to jump on them and close them down as you surely would (and have done in the past) any other non geocaching related threads.

I'm glad you said it. My sentiments exactly (though I think I did answer one question in the quiz thread early on :ph34r: ).

If you ask the people who take part in them they'll probably tell you it's just a bit of harmless fun :ph34r: It might be stating the obvious but if you don't like them just ignore them (like I have to do with congrats threads) ;)

Yes... it's harmless and yes, I can ignore them but this is a 'geocaching' forum not a forum for stupid word games. I shouldn't have to ignore them.... they shouldn't be here!!! If people want to take part in them, let them go to a 'stupid word game forum' to do it.

Hmmm.... I must have got out of bed the wrong side this morning... I'm beginning to sound like a grumpy 'ol git :P

Agreed. There are too many now.

Can I float the idea that the forum is for the Geocaching community and not just for Geocaching. If the the discussion is relevant to us as members of that community but not explicitly Geocaching then is that okay. The word game is on the outer limits but is okay when it is of interest to the community.

Can I also express my displeasure when a discussion that I am participating in is moved to a forum where I can no longer participate.

Exactly & with my Firefox scripts still not working, I can't even ignore then anymore!!!!!! :D

I started the pub quiz thread a few months ago following a period of bickering on the forum, at the time there'd been a few attempts to start a light hearted thread but no-one really picked up on them; and to be honest I'm surprised that it's still going. If people are still contributing I say leave them to it - what real harm are they doing? :D

Yes, I know there's an off topic forum just for this kind of stuff but it generally isn't used by the UK community.

Well said John.

a.

I agree with Alistair UK.As we only have one area to place ALL of our topics then what else are we to do.

Our friends across the pond have various areas,but we are endowed/allowed just the one.

Come on guys give us another forum area where we can promote off topic threads and threads about how we love and hate micros too....No smiley as I am actually being serious for a change.

Hmmm.... while I agree with the thread sentiments to an extent, let's go the whole hog:

Newbie Info! should be in Getting Started

Which Gps ? should be in GPS Units and Software

Landowner Permissions should be in Geocaching Topics

Locking threads should be in Geocaching.com Web Site

Two for Sale should be in GPS Garage Sale

Lancashire Geocoin should be in Geocoin Discussions

We've Got One! should be in The Travel Bug

Bonus Finds should be in The Hunt / The Unusual

Event Cache - Schiehallion should be in Organized Geocaching

Which doesn't leave much apart from Resources For Caching In The Uk And Ireland, so we'd best all post there :D

Ok, let's try thinking about this. :D

If nobody liked the threads then there would be no posts on them. Correct?

If noone posted on them then they would disappear off the screen and be forgotten about. Correct?

In the same thinking;

If lots of people were interested in post to an on topic thread then that would also be at the top of page. Yes?

Ok, now someone explain to me the issue?

Sarah

The Morgan Mob

( a bit on the dopey side)

My opinion!

BTW it doesn't bother me either way, only that people feel the need to cause conflict through an otherwise interesting, informative and entertaining forum.

Edited by The Morgan Mob

Perhaps I shouldn't get involved.

I'll just return to chat. :D

Sarah

Don't do that, Sarah... Everybody's involvement is needed :D The purpose of a forum is to promote discussion and I think I've achieved my objective. From the preceding posts it seems that I wasn't the only one to consider that we've gone just one thread too far with off topic word games although it wasn't by any means unanimous :D I'm pleased that it's remained polite and hasn't immediately deteriorated into flames and personal abuse. That's an indication of the maturity and tolerance shown on this forum.

Now... we've done micros, plastic bags and word games... I wonder what else we can discuss? :o

Edited by Pharisee

I can't agree with u more John, Some people are taking the forum over for whatever they like.

Axe the lot of these stupid threads and lets get back to what the forum is about.Geocaching.

Nige :D

I can't agree with u more John, Some people are taking the forum over for whatever they like.

Axe the lot of these stupid threads and lets get back to what the forum is about.Geocaching.

Don't you think thats a little unfair and not nice to say "some people are taking over the forum" anyone new looking in is going to think thats its an unfriendly place to be. So some of us might not have been around and caching as long as others but it doesnt mean we have any less to contribute.

BTW i deleted this twice before i decided to post it as i dont want to join in on any row i say live and let live and i dont want to offend anyone

Don't you think thats a little unfair and not nice to say "some people are taking over the forum" anyone new looking in is going to think thats its an unfriendly place to be. So some of us might not have been around and caching as long as others but it doesnt mean we have any less to contribute.

BTW i deleted this twice before i decided to post it as i dont want to join in on any row i say live and let live and i dont want to offend anyone

The point is that new geocachers will look in the UK forum and see all manner of off topic word games and quizzes and get the wrong impression of what the forum is about. Keep the drivel out and keep threads on topic. It's a geocaching forum not a general off topic chit-chat forum.

We have other OT forums and a busy chat room that seldom talks about caching (they are on cooking at the moment). Use those and leave this place clear for discussions about geocaching.

BTW, I have an excellent recipe for plum jelly if anyone wants it.

Boring.

Variety is the spice of life, that said, the congratulations thread really does send me to sleep and I have never entered or looked at one.

Think of this forum as you would any meeting you attend, in the pub later that night is the conversation exclusive to the event and on topic? Of course not, think of this forum as a clubhouse and if you don't like the conversation at one table move to another.

In between the relevant and on topic threads, these others give us something else to do. Make us think and use a bit of the grey matter.

Would you honestly join a club of any sort that dictated what you could talk about.

When I am down at the Legion on a Friday, the conversation is seldom about our military days.

When I am down at the Legion on a Friday, the conversation is seldom about our military days.

perhaps thats good then, cos if you see the same people week after week and you talked about your military career, then you would have to sit throught the same conversation week after week, now that is boring. The forums are for geocaching related topics, and should, in my opinion stay that way.

I did once post a topic about speed cams and vehicle reg numbers , BUT I asked permission of the moderators before hand, and waited for a reply. I thought that was the polite thing to do. but quiz and any other stupid topics are just taking up space. I do agree with u on congrats threads , I also skip past them.

Why do the UKers feel they can't post in any of the other forum areas?

Don't you all speak American? :D:D

No, I did French instead. :D

The point is that new geocachers will look in the UK forum and see all manner of off topic word games and quizzes and get the wrong impression of what the forum is about. Keep the drivel out and keep threads on topic. It's a geocaching forum not a general off topic chit-chat forum.

Sorry I don't buy the new user argument for most things, and this is another. I would say that fringe threads that are more fun and friendly will do more to pull people in to the Geocaching community than threads like this. Not that I am saying this thread should not exists, we should debate such things, I am just using it as a baseline.

We have other OT forums and a busy chat room that seldom talks about caching (they are on cooking at the moment). Use those and leave this place clear for discussions about geocaching.

...but the community is here and not there. In reality you are talking about changing (or possibly killing) that community because it will not move in the way you suggest. We could take such topics off to another forum completely, but unless the users follow what would be the point.

Perhaps users who go not like the fringe subjects could ignore this part of the forum, just a though. :o

Actually I would rather we had fewer fringe subjects. I am also bugged to death by the shear number of congratulations threads, or when one subject splits in to three when someone wants to make a point (as has sadly happened for this). Saying that I do not want to participate in a forum where someone is constantly saying "that is nothing to do with Goecaching" and am happy with, and would rather have the current compromise.

perhaps thats good then, cos if you see the same people week after week and you talked about your military career, then you would have to sit throught the same conversation week after week, now that is boring. The forums are for geocaching related topics, and should, in my opinion stay that way.

I did once post a topic about speed cams and vehicle reg numbers , BUT I asked permission of the moderators before hand, and waited for a reply. I thought that was the polite thing to do. but quiz and any other stupid topics are just taking up space. I do agree with u on congrats threads , I also skip past them.

Quote on = "

" quote off = "
" Without the speech marks. :o

Can I float the idea that the forum is for the Geocaching community and not just for Geocaching. If the the discussion is relevant to us as members of that community but not explicitly Geocaching then is that okay. The word game is on the outer limits but is okay when it is of interest to the community.

I have to agree, Im enjoying them .But the amount ,should be limited.