What A Mistake

Well I made the mistake of buying a Garmin 60cs to replace my Magellan SporTrak map. The people that think these Garmins are so great must have never owned a Magellan. I took both of them caching the last few days, the Magellan was right on the money on every cache and the Garmin was either way off course or it didn't even have a signal (even under light tree cover)... I will keep the Garmin just for the auto routing to get me to the cache area but it will be the Magellan that leads me to the cache. I even ran into another cacher with a Garmin eTrex Legend and he was way off from the location too. My wife was tooling around with the Magellan and found the cache way before either one of us did. She walked right up to it while we were about 75' off under no tree cover.

If anyone is looking for a GPSr to cache with then save your money and buy a cheaper Magellan unit and skip the fancy crappy expensive Garmins.

Well I made the mistake of buying a Garmin 60cs to replace my Magellan SporTrak map. The people that think these Garmins are so great must have never owned a Magellan. I took both of them caching the last few days, the Magellan was right on the money on every cache and the Garmin was either way off course or it didn't even have a signal (even under light tree cover)... I will keep the Garmin just for the auto routing to get me to the cache area but it will be the Magellan that leads me to the cache. I even ran into another cacher with a Garmin eTrex Legend and he was way off from the location too. My wife was tooling around with the Magellan and found the cache way before either one of us did. She walked right up to it while we were about 75' off under no tree cover.

If anyone is looking for a GPSr to cache with then save your money and buy a cheaper Magellan unit and skip the fancy crappy expensive Garmins.

I think the problem is that you made the big mistake by buying the phased out 60CS instead of a 60CX !

I think the problem is that you made the big mistake by buying the phased out 60CS instead of a 60CX !

That is a lame excuse considering they are pretty much the same thing.

Same thing basically except for the reception which from your post seenms to be the big difference between your Magellan and Garmin 60cs.

that is true for the case. but not the gps signal processer

No they aren't. The 'x' version has the much more sensitive SIRF chip, and it has the data card so you can load it with lots of maps! thumbsup.gif

A friend who had two of his Magellan GPSrs fail, and then endured terrible customer support from Magellan trying to get them fixed, bought the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx.

The C has has good recteption and the Cx better still Enoug better to where some die hards who firmly believe that all early magellans had far better reception than anything else on the market have admited that Garmin has caught up to Magellan.

As for me, I have found that the sport track series lied about it's lock and when you figured out how to adjust for it, it had as many reception errors and problems as the Garmin GPS V (which I found to be on the same par for reception).

In my experience the C has better receptoin than the GPS V and the V was on a par with the Sport Track Pro. My guess is the pro is on a par with the Sport Track Map.

Either you have a defective Garmin, or you never did know much about the limitations of your Sport Track, or worse got used to the limitations of your Sport Track and now that you have a different GPS that works differently think you have problems when it's doing just fine.

One advantage of the magellans is that they were more stable under tree cover. This (I suspect) has a lot to do with how they average the signal over time and not any inherent better reception. Some people confuse this averaging with better reception. However I've read tests that gave the thumbs up to Garmin back when the GPS III was new over Magellan's state of the art then for actual reception.

Well, I'm not sure answering a rant with a rant was productive but I'll leave you with a question. Why would you switch from Magellan (which in spite of my rant isn't broken) to a Garmin (which in spite of your rant isn't broken) when you already are used to the Magellans?

Well, I'm not sure answering a rant with a rant was productive but I'll leave you with a question. Why would you switch from Magellan (which in spite of my rant isn't broken) to a Garmin (which in spite of your rant isn't broken) when you already are used to the Magellans?

Because everyone was saying how good these Garmins are is the only reason I bought one. Its still hard to believe that my 3 year out of date, under $200 unit blows this thing away.

The C has has good recteption and the Cx better still Enoug better to where some die hards who firmly believe that all early magellans had far better reception than anything else on the market have admited that Garmin has caught up to Magellan.

As for me, I have found that the sport track series lied about it's lock and when you figured out how to adjust for it, it had as many reception errors and problems as the Garmin GPS V (which I found to be on the same par for reception).

In my experience the C has better receptoin than the GPS V and the V was on a par with the Sport Track Pro. My guess is the pro is on a par with the Sport Track Map.

Either you have a defective Garmin, or you never did know much about the limitations of your Sport Track, or worse got used to the limitations of your Sport Track and now that you have a different GPS that works differently think you have problems when it's doing just fine.

One advantage of the magellans is that they were more stable under tree cover. This (I suspect) has a lot to do with how they average the signal over time and not any inherent better reception. Some people confuse this averaging with better reception. However I've read tests that gave the thumbs up to Garmin back when the GPS III was new over Magellan's state of the art then for actual reception.

I wanted to avoid answering the OP's rant, but I'll share some observations anyhow.

Magellan SportTraks often hold lock better than the Garmin 60c's in deep forest cover. However, newbies often don't learn to use the Magellans which take time to settle down, so they often post inaccurate coordinates for a cache and not know it. (50' to 75' off is about right)

Garmin users know who the incompetent Magellan users are, because 60c's will point right to caches hidden by competent SportTrak users. :rolleyes:

I've owned both and strongly prefer the Garmins.

Hey, maybe the cache was placed by a Magellan user. ;-)

GeoBC

Because everyone was saying how good these Garmins are is the only reason I bought one. Its still hard to believe that my 3 year out of date, under $200 unit blows this thing away.

Where did you get it? If you can, I would take it back and exchange it for the current model.

If you can't take it back, sell it in the Garage Sale Forum, or on eBay and then get the current 'x' model.

Where did you get it? If you can, I would take it back and exchange it for the current model.

If you can't take it back, sell it in the Garage Sale Forum, or on eBay and then get the current 'x' model.

My son had the Magellan Gold, it failed completely and Magellan (Thales) offered him a new one at dealer cost take it or leave it. He now has a 60Cs and is a Happy Camper. :rolleyes:

We use an "old" 60CS exclusively and have used it to find a few caches--from time to time--when the urge hits us. We've never had any problems and consistently zero within a foot or two of most caches.

Perhaps you've set it up using the wrong datum? Or maybe the problem isn't with the GPSr?

We use an "old" 60CS exclusively and have used it to find a few caches--from time to time--when the urge hits us. We've never had any problems and consistently zero within a foot or two of most caches.

Perhaps you've set it up using the wrong datum? Or maybe the problem isn't with the GPSr?

Pilots kill more people than airplanes... :)

Wow, opened up a can of worms with this post! You've pitted the loyal Garminist and Magellanist factions against each other.

I love Garmin's interface, and have used my etrex for six years, but when it finally bit it I switched to a Magellan Explorist. The Magellans do more "averaging" than the Garmins do, so in my understanding the Garmin will show you exactly what it is receiving from the satellites, while the Magellan is showing you a running average which may or may not be accurate. However, when geocaching with friends who own Sporttracks the Magellan's didn't jump around nearly as much as my Etrex in tree cover, and in general provided a better hunting experience. For my uses, I thought the tradeoff was better. I'll get back to you in about a month with my results - my one cache run to date left me with the impression that I did get better "accuracy" in cache hunting with the magellan, even though the unfamiliar interface was harder to use.

It's doesn't, trust me. Your newer GPS does operate differently.

The ST doesn't wanter as bad from signal bounce in the woods. This is a big advantage regardless of reception for the Magellans. The 60C though will tell you when you have lost lock, and will take you right up to the cache without a boomerang effect that the ST's were prone too. I've also had the ST point me the wrong direction due to it's built in dead reconing of some type. Again that probably relates to the same thing that makes them better in the woods. However backtracking on a mountain road just becuaes the GPS didn't care to tell me it's not pointing the right way because it lost it's signal is just annoying.

If you like how your ST operates in the woods, you will not like the 60C in that regard. You may not even like the Explorists since they have scaled back some of the firmware things that let the ST's do what they did.

Lastly, hook up with someone that does have a 60C. They can have goofy issues. Night Stalker's first 60C did strange things and he wasn't happey with it until we finally figure out that it was just wrong somehow and Garmin replaced it. He doesn't like how the 60C works in the woods relative to his ST but he does like the 60C much better overall.

I had a problem one time when my Merdian was way off when my friends Meridian (same model) was right on the money. Turns out, mine somehow got stuck on the NAD27 setting instead of the WPS or whatever the most recent type of corrdinate system the GPS should've been set on. Once I set it to the correct corrdinate system, it was right on. The point is, maybe your new Garmin is not set up correctly.

One thing that I don't think I've seen so far is to mention that the 60c(s) seems to work better when held in a vertical position. So if you're holding it horizontal, that may make a difference too. Personally all I've ever used is the 60cs, and I'd say I was pretty happy with it.

My first was a ST map...great unit. I sold it and "upgraded" to the ST color....big mistake! Can't hit the broadside of a barn with that thing for some reason. My wife just got an Etrex legend. She like's it, but like the other Magellan's, it's like having dial-up for internet connection. I now have a Garmin 76csx (cable modem :laughing: ) and it rocks! Of course we'll use our older dial-up gps's for a backup, but you just can't beat the cable sirf chips. I've been lucky and haven't had near the problems as I see some people having with the newer "X" models. I've gotten used to some of the little bugs and am just waiting patiently until Garmin gets them figured out.

Of course you DID get the software update that you were supposed to download right?

I have had problems getting to GZ when hunting caches east of the passes. I have not been able to get close. Do I have to do something to adjust declineation or do I just simply intialize the reciever again. I tried that, but did not seem to help. My manual does not give much info.

Not counting this problem I have been very content with my Magellan Gold. The last one I had was stollen from truck when I worked at the UPS-TARGET distribution center by one of there no load temps. I wanted to buy one of the more expensive Garmins, but this Magellan Gold works fine for me. I have learned to slow down when getting close tp GZ. I get within a couple feet a lot of times. There are times when I have established a GZ and found I was to far beause I passed it.

Edited by chanterelleman

Oh SNAP!!!

I've had my 60cs for over 2 yrs and it always takes me right to the caches... btw.. there have been plenty of times when the magellian guys have been way off....

Edited by WxGuesser

I cache with my sons and they both use Sportraks (Sportrak Color and Sportrak Map). I use a Garmin GPSMAP60cx and without question the Garmin is better under heavy tree cover. If I hear "wait, let ours "catch-up"" one more time... I'm going to scream!!! The Magellan's are really good GPSr and are half the price of the Garmin but the Magellan's definitely hide their signal loss and will send you wondering off well past a cache if you are moving at more than a snails pace...

If signal hauling power is important to you then you should have sprung for the newer 60cx model.

I think that most folks on here try to be fair and honest when it comes to GPS performance. Posting that your new Garmin is CRAP is bound to get some responses but not from GARMIN fanboys but from people who have honestly used many different units and have come to a different conclusion. You may have a defective unit..if so, you probably want to know about it.

Also, as you know now, the CX units compared to the older C version is a completly different animal and you really cant compare the two as far as reception goes.

If you feel like your New garmin is sub par I would take it back (if you still can) and either trade another of the same kind or get yourself the "x" version that has soo many more desirable features.

Or you can listen to the advice of the fine folks on this list and try and make a better determination of how/why your new garmin is not meeting your expectations.

Just my two cents...I think anyone here would consider switching to a different brand if they built a clearly better performer. We're not Garmin Fanboys but lots of us have come to the conclusion that its the best GPS to own for our purposes.

Edited by kb9nvh

just wondering, did you buy this gps new? if so I would be returning it. I will start out by saying I have owned 5 magellans and 3 garmin gpsr, and I can't say that I ever had your experience. I am not going to get into garmin VS magellan battle with you, because you obviously have made up your mind. I just don't see the point of complaining instead of trying to figure out what the problem is with your 60cs. everyone is here to help you, and it sounds more like you would rather start a war. How about ask some of the knowledgeable people here for some help?

1. did you buy the 60cs new?

2. what settings or anything did you change/ do with the unit before going out?

3. did you have waas enabled?

4. if you bought the 60cs new did you let it initialize outside in the open for upto 30min?

5. if you didn't buy it new maybe it needs to be reset?

sounds to me like your 60cs is defective.

Edited by hogrod

I really think you've just been trolling from the beginning. We should have been smart enough to see through it.

Enjoy your GPS, there's no disgrace in using a Magellan or a lowrance or any other brand (maybe some disgrace for a cobra).. We all love our GPS's. One of the best toys I've ever bought.

I think I upset the Garmin lovers of the group. Sorry but I will stick to my original statement.

MAGELLAN FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really think you've just been trolling from the beginning. We should have been smart enough to see through it.

Enjoy your GPS, there's no disgrace in using a Magellan or a lowrance or any other brand (maybe some disgrace for a cobra).. We all love our GPS's. One of the best toys I've ever bought.

Yeah, don't you just hate that? With such sneaky political ability, who knows if the OP is actually a closet Garmin user who pretends to be an obnoxious Magellan user! Mistrust breeds conspiracy theories... at least we can dismiss the source on this thread and end the spiral of mistrust. :P

I've used different brands (Lowrance, Garmin, Magellan, and even DeLorme) and interface is different enough that each one has merits. No need to proclaim blind loyalty to one brand.

Just because the cx is more sensitive, it is just as or less accurate than the cs. The x can't even pull in the waas corrections when the cs does that under tree cover (with a gilsson antenna).

I agree with Team Dublin. Magellan is better suited to mature audiences and keep the bells and busted readings for Garmin kids.

Conspiracy theory?? Who do you think started the Navigator V8 is released post? Garmin, of course. :P

Interesting. I did the exact same thing as the OP, except that I held out until the 60CSx became available. From May 2005, when I dropped my Garmin V in a stream and ruined its antenna, to April 2006, when I bought my 60CSx, I relied on a Magellan SporTrak Color. Absolutely hated it, primarily due to the user interface. It did have better reception under tree cover than the V, but I've had no troubles with reception or accuracy with the 60CSx. The 60CSx consistently puts me right at the cache coordinates, better than either of my earlier units.

Some people are Garmin people and some people are Magellan people. Use whatever makes you happy. :P

who gives a s*** which you use... seriously use whatever you like and leave it at that... these types of posts never actually turn into anything constructive it is always just ends up being a pissing contest....

Magellan's better no Garmin's better, quit typing.... give it up and go find some caches.....

kgag.

Edited by kgag

There are Mustang owners who do this type of posting on the Corvette Forums, so I guess it would be logical for a Magellan person to post such a post on this forum to get the Garmin lovers in an uproar. :blink:

I have had both, and I have never seen the Magellan Sportrak TOPO give me information as accurate as the Garmin 60csx (after all the updates). I do not cache, I use it in areas where no one in their right mind would cache. :P

In a week, we'll see if it works in the Needles and Maze areas of Canyonlands National Park, where my Sportrak could not pull in more than one satellite, due to the extremely narrow canyon with high walls.

Edited by f5fstop

these types of posts never actually turn into anything constructive it is always just ends up being a pissing contest....

The only real constructive bit of information here was that some Garmin owners are suggesting that the OP may have a defective unit if he is consistently 75 feet off the mark. He could do some accuracy checks (preferably against a benchmark) and contact Garmin if it is, as he says, 75 feet or so in error. His initial post was inflammatory, to say the least.

Personally, if my GPS unit was that far off the mark, I'd be testing to make sure that it was working correctly and if not, contacting Garmin immediately.

GeoBC

Team Dubbin, I was looking through your old posts and I really dont see you trolling so I'm wondering why you posted like you did. I see you bought the CS and have been helpful in some previous posts.

You seriously should consider if you got a bumb unit and return it if you can. Have you satisfied yourself that you have done everything possible to ensure you dont have a misconfiguration or old firmware that might be causing an issue? There are lots of CS owners on here who should be able to let you know if your unit is not working as it should.

I'm sorry i accused you of being a troll...Previous post show you have added constructivly to other threads.

My guess is that you have soured to your garmin and have decided to not entertain any more thoughts on the subject and were just venting and you were not looking for any help or information.

I dropped my Garmin V in a stream and ruined its antenna

My brother-in-law was given a V with City Select as a bonus gift when he bought a Ford Freedom.

He gave it to me for Christmas (I already had 3 other GPSs). So I sold the CS to a local newbie at a super low price (I already had a copy and still had another unlock code to use) and have been enjoying the V ever since. The processor is slower, but I like having a backup auto-routing GPS.

That's it. Nothing on topic, just gloating. :ph34r:

My first GPS was a Magellan SporTrack Map, which I liked, except for the times I was with Garmin people who found the cache first. Not every time; just most. I got the Garmin 60CS when it first came out. Last month I got a Garmin76CSx. I absolutely love it. Never had a GPS that could obtain a good like inside the house or on the car's console. I let my brother have the 60 CS, but I still have the Maggie somewhere.

Just because the cx is more sensitive, it is just as or less accurate than the cs. The x can't even pull in the waas corrections when the cs does that under tree cover (with a gilsson antenna).

I agree with Team Dublin. Magellan is better suited to mature audiences and keep the bells and busted readings for Garmin kids.

Conspiracy theory?? Who do you think started the Navigator V8 is released post? Garmin, of course. :ph34r:

How do the two stack up for you when it comes to locating caches? Oh...

Conspiracy theory?? Who do you think started the Navigator V8 is released post? Garmin, of course. <_<

How do the two stack up for you when it comes to locating caches? Oh...

It looks like a couple of guys have some serious Garmin envy. I don't blame them, you get what you pay for. :ph34r:

Interesting. I did the exact same thing as the OP, except that I held out until the 60CSx became available. From May 2005, when I dropped my Garmin V in a stream and ruined its antenna, to April 2006, when I bought my 60CSx, I relied on a Magellan SporTrak Color. Absolutely hated it, primarily due to the user interface. It did have better reception under tree cover than the V, but I've had no troubles with reception or accuracy with the 60CSx. The 60CSx consistently puts me right at the cache coordinates, better than either of my earlier units.

Some people are Garmin people and some people are Magellan people. Use whatever makes you happy. :unsure:

I recall meeting up with Lep and his SporTrak (which I also use) for a cache hunt one Sunday morning. He and I were both off in Magellan-boomerang-overshoot land, while his lovely compatriot shouted "Found it!" from 100 feet away.

LOL

:ph34r:<_<

[

The x can't even pull in the waas corrections when the cs does that under tree cover (with a gilsson antenna).

Conspiracy theory?? Who do you think started the Navigator V8 is released post? Garmin, of course. :ph34r:

First I would like to say that competition is good and Magellan and Garmin would not be the units they are today without the competition driving their development. I'm glad to have more choices and I would go buy a magellan tomorrow if I thougth it had the best feature set/bang for the buck. I dont own garmin stock and I have no allegance to garmin other than I own one. I used to own lowrance but not anymore.

Now, about the WAAS reception of the x VS the CS model. Is this true for csx even now with the new firmware of a few days ago? I get WAAS now inside my house so maybe what youre' saying is no longer true?

I'll comment on the sensitivity of the garmin sirfIII receiver. I'm amazed that I can get a lock inside my house and even inside my metal pole barn. Now, its obvious that the only way to get reception without clear view of the sky is through multipath which is inherantly inaccurate. My thoughts on that are that I would rather have a poor lock with 65ft accuracy than no lock at all.

You magellan folks, how is your reception in deep tree cover/inside the house ect? Do you loose accuracy in those conditions like the csx garmins do? Do you keep lock without clear view of the sky?

I do like the compass of the magellan and wish garmin had implemented the 3 axis style. The altimeter of the garmin is a very neat feature and its nice to have accurate rise/fall info for running and biking (this is fixed, by the way, in the newest firmware).

I've never owned a magellan so I cant speak to its strengths or weakness's. I know the platinum I played with had lower res screen (but it was larger). For me the autorouting was the make or break feature of the garmin that moved me to garmin. I dont think Magellan does that in a multifunction GPS.

I guess I'm a Garmin "Kid" as I like the feature set and have used many of them. I dont see where haveing a good featureset is a detraction to a gps unless it makes it difficult to use. Mine is no harder than any I have tried (lowrance and garmin and some limited magellan). One new feature I recently discovered was proximity detection. I can set a radius around a waypoint and the gps warns me when I enter and leave that radius. This is a function that my old lowrance aviation gps had and warned me when I was entering restricted airspace.

One thing I HATE about Garmin is the way they license their maps and lock them to a gps. The new unlimited memory is a plus.

Is there a thread itemizing the strengths and weakness's of each model (that doesn't degrade into brand wars).

Wow I am amazed at how upset some of you got over this thread. Some of you are acting like a bunch of little kids by insulting me when I never once did anything to insult anyone on here. This is not my first garmin unit and yes I do know how to use it. I am keeping it to use for the one thing that I do like about it and that is the auto routing.

I have my opinion and you have yours. If all you have are insults then don't even bother showing how childish you are by replying...

I've noticed that Garmin users here are a lot like the Linux users you see on Slashdot and Digg. Whenever there's a problem with Windows, their solution is always "Use Linux."

Whenever someone has a problem with their Magellan here, the Garmin users always say "Buy a Garmin." Thanks a lot. That really helps someone fix their GPSr.

Wow I am amazed at how upset some of you got over this thread. Some of you are acting like a bunch of little kids by insulting me when I never once did anything to insult anyone on here. This is not my first garmin unit and yes I do know how to use it. I am keeping it to use for the one thing that I do like about it and that is the auto routing.

I have my opinion and you have yours. If all you have are insults then don't even bother showing how childish you are by replying...

Hey, now dont worry about it I like cheese too Im fairy new to this but all I can tell you is dont worry about all these garmin lovers. Just Return your garmin and get a magellan. :ph34r: