Original Stash: May 3rd Is The 6th Anniversary!

Redwing_dave

RWD,

I really like what you have done with this coin. It is a virtual "clone" of the plaque. I live approx 10 miles from the Original Stash and have visited it many times. I am proud to be living in the "Birthplace of GeoCaching".

I know you have stated that this is not a pre-order, but I am definetly interested in at least 20 of these.

I do some coin designs myself, and can certainly understand how difficult it is to please everyone....you've done a great job with this one.

I'd like a few of these! Very cool idea, and if these coins are half as good as your personal coin, Dave, then this should be excellent. -_-

Warning - shamless plug alert!

You can view both the OCB and a replica of the plaque at GeoWoodstock.

Thanks Team360!

Edit - spelling

Edited by 9Key

RWD,

I really like what you have done with this coin. It is a virtual "clone" of the plaque. I live approx 10 miles from the Original Stash and have visited it many times. I am proud to be living in the "Birthplace of GeoCaching".

I know you have stated that this is not a pre-order, but I am definetly interested in at least 20 of these.

I do some coin designs myself, and can certainly understand how difficult it is to please everyone....you've done a great job with this one.

I take that as a great compliment, coming from the designer of the first glow in the dark geocoin (at least as far as I know). If it wasn't the first one, I know it was the first glow in the dark, Tabasco-lighthouse geocoin, which makes it twice as cool. -_-

I envy you for living so close to the birthplace of geocaching. It's beautiful country up there. Had I known you lived so close sooner, I would have invited myself to crash on your couch for the few minutes that we actually slept during our 48 hour cache-n-dash up to the OS and back.

I'd like a few of these! Very cool idea, and if these coins are half as good as your personal coin, Dave, then this should be excellent. :P

Thanks for the compliment on my personal coins. B)

We're using the same designers and minting facility that produced my personal coin, so I expect everyone to be very pleased. IMHO they do the best 3D work available. Now I just need to talk Team360 into getting his personal geocoin made. -_-

Wow, congrats to RWD and Team 360 on what's by far the most refreshing new geocoin idea that's come out in a long time. It's great to see such positive responses, and it's an honor to be a small part of this project.

In the meantime, we can all pretend that this coin is a non-cheesy souvenir from "The Original Stash Gift Shop", if there was one. With that in mind, let's pray to GOD there NEVER is one.

Wow, congrats to RWD and Team 360 on what's by far the most refreshing new geocoin idea that's come out in a long time. It's great to see such positive responses, and it's an honor to be a small part of this project.

Yes, a big round of applause for Yime's help on this project. He can now add a black bucket (which has come under fire today) and another icon to his vast portfolio. When you want an icon done right, Yime's the man!

In the meantime, we can all pretend that this coin is a non-cheesy souvenir from "The Original Stash Gift Shop", if there was one. With that in mind, let's pray to GOD there NEVER is one.

Hey, now theres a great idea, an Original Stash Gift shop. Thanks for the idea Yime. Gotta run....I'm headed up to Portland to set up shop before somebody beats me to it. Can you start working up my company logo for me? -_-

The fact that May 3 is also my birthday

Mine is May 4th -_-

Mine is May 6th. Do I hear a 5th, anyone, anyone.....

May 11 here.....and definitely want a couple o' these coins. I'll break my buying ban to get 'em, too.

I think kealia, hula bum, and i should make a pilgrimage to the Stash while they are up here for Spring Fling. I have the week off for vacation and plan to cache in the Portland area, this is a great reminder to visit the Stash while I'm down there! Right before the anniversary, too!

Hey Dave - since US is now on daylight saving time, the eastern time zone is only 4 hours behind Greenwich time. Does that mean the coins go on sale at 1:00 PM EDT?

That's funny, I was just commenting to Team360 the other day about how I wished everyone would follow AZ's example and not adjust for daylight savings time. I am not personally in charge of the sells (I have other people to do my dirty work), and I'm horrible with time zones, so let me forward your question to our sales team and see what they have to say. I'll post the response in this thread for all to see.

Nice design.

Which coin-maker is minting the coin?

Since they are being sold as a Coin and a Pin, I can hope for The Best.

I don't think I can answer this question directly without advertising, which I believe is against the rules of these forums. Let me just say that it is being minted by the same people that did my personal coin, and other great coins like the Rubicon Brothers (still the best 3D work I've ever seen on a coin), the Federation, the COOL club coin, and the Mystery Santa coin. In short the quality will be EXCELLENT!

Nice design.

I don't think I can answer this question directly without advertising, which I believe is against the rules of these forums. Let me just say that it is being minted by the same people that did my personal coin, and other great coins like the Rubicon Brothers (still the best 3D work I've ever seen on a coin), the Federation, the COOL club coin, and the Mystery Santa coin. In short the quality will be EXCELLENT!

There have been enough posts saying which coin maker made coins without 'linking' to the site. I think the link to the site is what is verboten.

Here is an example of a post which has been allowed:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=2123509

But, my money puts it at thecachingplace -_-.

nielsenc

Nice design.

There have been enough posts saying which coin maker made coins without 'linking' to the site. I think the link to the site is what is verboten.

Here is an example of a post which has been allowed:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...dpost&p=2123509

But, my money puts it at thecachingplace -_-.

nielsenc

It was almost certainly thecachingplace.com. They made our version 2 coins and we highly recommend them :P

The way it sounds is that there will be enough for everyone?

I guess that all depends on how many buyers we have, and how many each person buys. Right now there are only plans to do a single minting of 1000 coins. I remember a day, not long past, when 1000 coins could sell in 90 minutes or less, but with the flooded market we have now, I don't really know what to expect. I hope that this is something special that will bring some of the meaning back into geocoin collecting, and thus sell quickly, so that I'm not upside-down in this project. :unsure: As I mentioned in a previous post, a second minting is not completely out of the question, however we'd need an overwhelming response in order to take that on.

My advice = Buy Early & Buy Often! :unsure:

The way it sounds is that there will be enough for everyone?

I guess that all depends on how many buyers we have, and how many each person buys. Right now there are only plans to do a single minting of 1000 coins. I remember a day, not long past, when 1000 coins could sell in 90 minutes or less, but with the flooded market we have now, I don't really know what to expect. I hope that this is something special that will bring some of the meaning back into geocoin collecting, and thus sell quickly, so that I'm not upside-down in this project. :unsure: As I mentioned in a previous post, a second minting is not completely out of the question, however we'd need an overwhelming response in order to take that on.

My advice = Buy Early & Buy Often! :blink:

You can keep an eye on eBay and plan a second minting accordingly to thwart speculators. :unsure:

On May 3, 2000, a five-gallon bucket was placed outside of Portland, Oregon by Dave Ulmer. It contained Delorme Topo USA and 2 CD Roms, a cassette recorder, a "George of the Jungle" VHS tape, a Ross Perot book, 4 $1 bills, a slingshot handle, and a very famous can of beans (now the O.C.B. T.B.!) The coordinates were then listed on the Internet and modern-day Geocaching was born.

I recently made the quest from Salt Lake City, Utah to Portland, Oregon with the sole purpose of visiting the birthplace of our sport. It was a long journey (partly because we stopped for several caches along the way), but it was worth every minute and every mile when we arrived at the place of the Original Stash (also known as Stash #1 by Dave Ulmer himself). Thanks to Team360, along with the help of several other Geocachers, a commemorative plaque was placed and is maintained at the site of the Original Stash. On the 700 mile trip home, I had a good deal of time to think and ponder. Being an avid geocacher and geocoin collector, a thought popped into my head that I could not shake. That thought was "What more perfect geocoin could there be, than one paying homage to where this all started." There have been great geocoins from the Portland area mentioning that it is the birthplace of geocaching, but so far there hasn't been a coin with the sole purpose of honoring the momentous event of Stash #1. As soon as I got back home, I got in touch with Team360 to see what he thought of the idea. Since that time, Team360 and I have been working side-by-side to see this coin to fruition. We have carefully worked through every detail, to make sure that this coin will live up to the grandeur of the event it commemorates. I think we've done a pretty darn good job!

Yesterday we received approval from Groundspeak for the tracking and unique icon associated with this coin. I'm posting this thread to give you a sneak preview of this GREAT coin. In a few days I'll post all the other details that I'm sure you're interested in (price, when and where to order, etc.), but initially I just wanted to reflect on the humble beginnings of this great sport that brings people from all walks of life together. Whether you plan to buy a coin or not, please take the time to visit the Original Stash Tribute Plaque page. There you'll find some great information about Stash #1, including some great video clips. If you ever get the chance to visit the site of the Original Stash, I highly recommend that you take that opportunity.

Well I'm sure you're all chompin' at the bit to get to the coin details. It is a 2 inch square coin. The front is an exact replica of the Tribute plaque, with the addition of a space for the tracking code. The back is dedicated to Stash #1. The bucket and can of beans (which will be 2d colored objects) represent that Original Stash placed by Dave Ulmer. The satellite and GPSr (which will be in deep relief 3D) represent the removal of selective availability, which made this whole thing possible. Each coin will also come with a commemorative Tribute Plaque pin. If minting goes as planned, you will all have your coins in hand by the May 3rd anniversary. :D

Now, what you've all been waiting for (drum roll please):

Originalstashforforums.jpg

Note: This is not a pre-order forum. I will be posting more specific ordering information to this forum within a few days. Team360 and I LOVE to know how much interest there is in this coin, but we don't want anyone to be under the impression that posting your desires here guarantees that you'll get a coin. Keep your eyes on this thread and you should be fine. :)

On May 3, 2000, a five-gallon bucket was placed outside of Portland, Oregon by Dave Ulmer. It contained Delorme Topo USA and 2 CD Roms, a cassette recorder, a "George of the Jungle" VHS tape, a Ross Perot book, 4 $1 bills, a slingshot handle, and a very famous can of beans (now the O.C.B. T.B.!) The coordinates were then listed on the Internet and modern-day Geocaching was born.

I recently made the quest from Salt Lake City, Utah to Portland, Oregon with the sole purpose of visiting the birthplace of our sport. It was a long journey (partly because we stopped for several caches along the way), but it was worth every minute and every mile when we arrived at the place of the Original Stash (also known as Stash #1 by Dave Ulmer himself). Thanks to Team360, along with the help of several other Geocachers, a commemorative plaque was placed and is maintained at the site of the Original Stash. On the 700 mile trip home, I had a good deal of time to think and ponder. Being an avid geocacher and geocoin collector, a thought popped into my head that I could not shake. That thought was "What more perfect geocoin could there be, than one paying homage to where this all started." There have been great geocoins from the Portland area mentioning that it is the birthplace of geocaching, but so far there hasn't been a coin with the sole purpose of honoring the momentous event of Stash #1. As soon as I got back home, I got in touch with Team360 to see what he thought of the idea. Since that time, Team360 and I have been working side-by-side to see this coin to fruition. We have carefully worked through every detail, to make sure that this coin will live up to the grandeur of the event it commemorates. I think we've done a pretty darn good job!

Yesterday we received approval from Groundspeak for the tracking and unique icon associated with this coin. I'm posting this thread to give you a sneak preview of this GREAT coin. In a few days I'll post all the other details that I'm sure you're interested in (price, when and where to order, etc.), but initially I just wanted to reflect on the humble beginnings of this great sport that brings people from all walks of life together. Whether you plan to buy a coin or not, please take the time to visit the Original Stash Tribute Plaque page. There you'll find some great information about Stash #1, including some great video clips. If you ever get the chance to visit the site of the Original Stash, I highly recommend that you take that opportunity.

Well I'm sure you're all chompin' at the bit to get to the coin details. It is a 2 inch square coin. The front is an exact replica of the Tribute plaque, with the addition of a space for the tracking code. The back is dedicated to Stash #1. The bucket and can of beans (which will be 2d colored objects) represent that Original Stash placed by Dave Ulmer. The satellite and GPSr (which will be in deep relief 3D) represent the removal of selective availability, which made this whole thing possible. Each coin will also come with a commemorative Tribute Plaque pin. If minting goes as planned, you will all have your coins in hand by the May 3rd anniversary. :D

Now, what you've all been waiting for (drum roll please):

Originalstashforforums.jpg

Note: This is not a pre-order forum. I will be posting more specific ordering information to this forum within a few days. Team360 and I LOVE to know how much interest there is in this coin, but we don't want anyone to be under the impression that posting your desires here guarantees that you'll get a coin. Keep your eyes on this thread and you should be fine. :)

One these days I'll try to find the original stash myself... so I'll be interested in one or two of these... just need to remember to be available for the selling time.

Give me your phone number, and I'll give you a reminder call. :laughing:

Oh, and the Original Stash is worth it. I'd highly recommend the trip, nomatter how far you have to go. Hey, wait, you're just in Seattle. Go get in your car right now, and git'R'dun!!!!

Edited by Redwing_dave

One these days I'll try to find the original stash myself... so I'll be interested in one or two of these... just need to remember to be available for the selling time.

Give me your phone number, and I'll give you a reminder call. :anibad:

Oh, and the Original Stash is worth it. I'd highly recommend the trip, nomatter how far you have to go. Hey, wait, you're just in Seattle. Go get in your car right now, and git'R'dun!!!!

If I had a car I might think about it.. at it is, I'd need to bus/train it down and found someone local to shuttle me.

One of my geocaching friends was in the area not too long ago, but didn't have a chance to the original... perhaps I can convince him to make another trip in the near future. Pity the anniv doesn't fall on a weekend.

As to the phone number.. well, I think I'll pass on that one. :}

I will order five if the price is right...great coin...with great history...

Price/sale information can be found in this post.

Hmm - the time converter says 1.30am Friday morning our time B)

I guess I'll have to hope they last for a few hours!

I'm not great at time conversion. The converter was just meant to help you figure out the time. I don't guarantee that it is correct (although I hope that it is). B) The distribution location is on mountain daylight time, so the sales link will become active at that time. Regardless of what time the converter says, the coins will go on sale at whatever time is equivalent to 10AM Mountain Daylight Time in your time zone (so no one should have to wait an hour and a half to get in). :lol: Hope that helps.

Hmm - the time converter says 1.30am Friday morning our time :ph34r:

I'm not great at time conversion. The converter was just meant to help you figure out the time. I don't guarantee that it is correct (although I hope that it is). :ph34r: The distribution location is on mountain daylight time, so the sales link will become active at that time. Regardless of what time the converter says, the coins will go on sale at whatever time is equivalent to 10AM Mountain Daylight Time in your time zone (so no one should have to wait an hour and a half to get in). :lol: Hope that helps.

I don't think there is a problem with the time converter.

Did you notice that I'm in Australia? :huh:

I'm not great at time conversion. The converter was just meant to help you figure out the time. I don't guarantee that it is correct (although I hope that it is). :ph34r: The distribution location is on mountain daylight time, so the sales link will become active at that time. Regardless of what time the converter says, the coins will go on sale at whatever time is equivalent to 10AM Mountain Daylight Time in your time zone (so no one should have to wait an hour and a half to get in). :lol: Hope that helps.

I noticed you were in Australia, but I couldn't figure out the 1:30 thing, since all or our time zones are in hour blocks (i.e. 1:00 or 2:00, but not 1:30). I really have no concept of what time it is in Australia, although I'd love to visit some day. B)

I'm not great at time conversion. The converter was just meant to help you figure out the time. I don't guarantee that it is correct (although I hope that it is). :lol: The distribution location is on mountain daylight time, so the sales link will become active at that time. Regardless of what time the converter says, the coins will go on sale at whatever time is equivalent to 10AM Mountain Daylight Time in your time zone (so no one should have to wait an hour and a half to get in). B) Hope that helps.

I noticed you were in Australia, but I couldn't figure out the 1:30 thing, since all or our time zones are in hour blocks (i.e. 1:00 or 2:00, but not 1:30). I really have no concept of what time it is in Australia, although I'd love to visit some day. B)

Oh I see.

There are a few places which use half hour time differences - including South Australia.

As you can imagine it is an ongoing source of confusion for visitors and a bit of a nuisance for we locals when we want to contact our eastern states' businesses which are 30 mins ahead.

There is a long and ongoing history of attempts to rationalize the situation, with some wanting to make us the same as the eastern states and some wanting us to be an hour different.

The politicians aren't game to choose, so it keeps getting put into the "too hard" basket and no-one is happy. :ph34r:

Edited by Bunya