2005 Memorable Moments

Most users ever online was 675 on Sep 19 2005, 01:51 PM

True.

Was something special going on that day, or was it just a random day with lots of people online? :P

I think it was a big gc.com server crash. Everybody was coming into the forum to check what was going on.

However, 675 is a lot of people

In the forum world, the thread about geocaching and guns. Not that one, that one, that one and that one. That one.

In the real geocaching world I'd have to say the introduction of Waymarking.com.

Also, when geocaching historians look back and pinpoint the year regular sized caches started their slide into extinction, I think they'll choose 2005.

Edited by briansnat

I can't believe no one mentioned the Llamas. The first time I saw them was in the Mad Marty thread which had me rivited to my computer, meaning it was a low production day at work for me. Recently they showed up again in a thread and someone linked to the song which I love by the way.

So aside from everything else in the forums I will remember the llamas the most, llamas rock! :P

Holy carp, that 'apologies' thread was hilarious.

My most memorable moment in geocaching outside the forums was the first find on my very first hide. Exciting! It's an ammo can, by the way. :P

In the forums? I dunno. Forums are forums. This one is pretty tame.

EDIT: The changes to the main website feature set have beencool, but I dunno if I have a 'favorite' - I ike 'em all so far.

Edited by New England n00b
I read the madmarty thread, it kept me entertained for an hour or so. But it really got me curious about the llamas. Could anyone explain the significance of them? I love the picts. but it seems that its a joke somehow and I just don't get it.

There is a strange song called the Llama Song (link), and somehow or another llamas have become an icon in an attempt to defuse angst by posting the silliniess that is llamas.

Make sense? No? Good, then you are of sound mind. If it DOES make sense, see a doctor. :D:rolleyes:

It's all for fun. Sometimes gentle poking, sometimes sharp.

I can't believe no one mentioned the Llamas. The first time I saw them was in the Mad Marty thread which had me rivited to my computer, meaning it was a low production day at work for me.  Recently they showed up again in a thread and someone linked to the song which I love by the way.

So aside from everything else in the forums I will remember the llamas the most, llamas rock!  :D

Llamas . . . did someone mention llamas . . . :rolleyes:

5ce95d41-d958-4a28-a348-07df98e21b10.jpg

Many of mine overlap:

10. Waymarking.com goes live

9. Getting my travel bug "CYBret's Birthday Party" back.

8. Handling the White Jeep Distribution for Illinois.

7. Caching on the East and West Coast

6. A full day of caching with Planet, hitting 5 states!

5. Moderating the Reviewer's Forum at GeoBash

4. Hitting TWO Project A.P.E. Caches - with some great company on both.

3. Performing the Geo-Wedding at GCM0H0

2. Getting up (and then back down) that mountain.

1. Hitting my 1000th find with my best friends.

I also got to thinking about what my favorite picture in my gallery from this year would be. Hmmmmm...it's a toss up:

d0760606-a479-4d71-b811-6b8a3e3bb77d.jpg

Or

b4f9bf4a-9767-4a84-b437-b9d491637d81.jpg

Bret

Year end forum crashes are sort of a tradition here. Regular Free Week seems a lot older than just earlier this year.

2005 was a banner year for turning regulars into moderators.

The offical loss of Virtual and Locationless caches from this site rates big in my book. Time will tell if it was the loss of caches or the rise of Waymarking that is the bigger deal.

No Charity, No Way, No how, Never comes to mind for the Tsunami and Hurricane (even if some of it was 04).

The Germans became the first to make a site from the opencaching project. Meanwhile Turkish hackers nailed a truckload of geocaching related forums.

Lets not forget GeoRadio. Podcasts about geocaching are here to stay.

Hmm... I'm a relative newby. I've only been here a year and a half.

Or: How not to ingratiate yourself with TPTB.

Memorable Moments:

The divestiture of Locationless Caches to whypointing.com

The proliferation of icons for geocoins. Great for geocaching! Not necessarily good for most geocachers. But whatever makes money for geocaching keeps it running for us geocachers.

The proliferation of micros. No place to put a TB, and what's so great about this guard rail in the parking lot of this strip mall that you felt the need to bring me here?

On the other fin:

The technology is constantly improving! I love the links to Google Earth! Thanks!! (Can we link benchmarks into this?) The site is always trying to improve itself. And generally succeeding.