Cemetery Caches

Airmapper

I know, this is a spin off thread.

"When I have a problem is when people visit someone's grave just to earn a point and a smiley face," said Rep. Catherine Ceips. "You still have to respect people's privacy." 

Okay, how do you feel about cemetery caches, do cachers hunting them show respect? I see no problems with caches in a cemetery, I own 4 myself.

This thread is to discuss cemetery caches, and respect for the property.

I have visited two graveyards while geocaching and two gravesites.

Three of them were forgotten but for the time that someone made to honor them and bring them to the attention of the world through a cache. Yes, I found a cache nearby, but I also found a testament to our history that I would have missed otherwise. There is something profound in the experience that has nothing to do with how you came to be in the area.

I've found many caches in cemeteries, and not once have I seen one hidden in a disrespectful or offensive way. In fact, most of the cemeteries around here double as parks, complete with benches, picnic tables, and pavillions. If the property owners didn't want people enjoying these spaces, why would they have installed these features in the first place? Nearly half of the time, I run across other people in the cemetery who are out walking their dogs, taking pictures, or arranging flowers.

Edited by DavidMac

I've done four that were just 'hidden somewhere' that I wouldn't say were disrespectful but I really didn't understand why anyone would want to bring me there other than it's a place to hide a cache.

One other used information from stones and was actually a pretty good hide. It was also a bit away from the actual gravesites.

I guess I enjoy visiting interesting sites, but I don't think I'm sold on leaving boxes in cemeteries.

I just remembered another, You gather information at the sites and then the coords take you to a nearby park. That works for me.

"When I have a problem is when people visit someone's grave just to earn a point and a smiley face," said Rep. Catherine Ceips. "You still have to respect people's privacy." 

Everything Ms Ceips needed to push through her legislation was provided via the online logs. A few less than savory midnight graveyard photos was all it took. It gave the impression that cachers are all a bunch of vampires sneaking around at night.

It's just a matter of time before someone logs another cemetary cache and leaves such a log.

If you own a cemetary cache, I believe it's incumbant on you as an owner to place appropriate language on your cachepage reminding others to be respectful, and to delete any logs that are not.

Everything Ms Ceips needed to push through her legislation was provided via the online logs. A few less than savory midnight graveyard photos was all it took. It gave the impression that cachers are all a bunch of vampires sneaking around at night.

It's just a matter of time before someone logs another cemetary cache and leaves such a log.

If you own a cemetary cache, I believe it's incumbant on you as an owner to place appropriate language on your cachepage reminding others to be respectful, and to delete any logs that are not.

Actually I am guilty of grabbing a cemetery cache after dark. I seen no problem with it, but I do see how it could be twisted to be viewed as disrespectful.

Here is something I found: Benchmark In this description to find a Benchmark, reference is given to a tombstone to find the mark.(Not dissimilar from finding a cache.) It is not the only BM I have found in a cemetery.

I think as long as the cache is not placed in a disrespectful way (i.e. a film can under someones flowers on the stone.) that no one should have a problem. All 4 of my cemetery hides are not near the headstones.

I've been to several. Only one was actually in the cemetary and that was on a light pole. All the others were placed in foliage at the border (just inside or just outside) of the cemetary or you used information on markers to locate the cache elsewhere. All were very respectfully done and quite historical. A lot to be learned from cemetaries, who lived here, where did they come from, what traditions they had, cultural information and just plain history. Some caches were placed in rememberance of loved ones. Nearly every cemetary had benches and registers, some had visitor pamphlets with addtional information.

I would also suggest that the cache owner make sure that the custodian is aware of the cache and approves its placement. Even in a cemetery thought to be "public"...

Because of the issues regarding cemetery caches in South Carolina, you'll find many reviewers, particularly in the U.S., inquiring about permission for these hides. In cases such as this, it is best to have permission and to have the cache placed away from any headstones, grave markers, etc.

When in doubt, contact your local reviewer to be sure all of your bases are covered.

Quiggle, I quite agree, and I have been scrutinizing cemetery cache placements closely since even before the publicity of this issue from South Carolina. Cemetery caches are very popular in my review territory. If the cache page or a reviewer note does not contain information about permission, how the cache is hidden in relation to any nearby graves, etc., then I hold up publication and ask for more details. Some hiders find this frustrating but I am happy to take the heat for it. Hopefully the end result is a better geocaching experience for finders and a better relationship with those responsible for maintaining our cemeteries.

I also wanted to add that the listing guidelines do not address cemeteries specifically, because customs are different in various parts of the world. For example, in England the cemeteries are truly treated just like parks, and nobody bats an eyelash about a container hidden near a headstone. In a church graveyard in rural Pennsylvania, that cache wouldn't be listed without clear proof of permission.

I have a unique cache in an old abandoned cemetery that is now overgrown by prairie. A friend of mine maintains the cemetery and said it was plenty OK to put it there. I also designed three other mystery caches so far (one of which is here) that require that people enter cemeteries to find their way to the real cache. To me cemeteries that have stones are some of the most remarkable places a person can spend some time in and I am more than glad to introduce people to the history in them.

However, I myself am nervous about having the cache in the cemetery itself. That's just me.

342b39a4-5e10-4f3d-9b02-91e9f08749e7.jpg

By the way I finally managed to get the whole alphabet in tombstone letters. I was surprised at which letters I had a hard time finding. The letter D was one. I found it in the old italicized died but not in many other places.

-it

Edited by Iowa Tom

i've done two, but i felt uncomfortable and will not do any more. only my opinion, but i think hides like this are in poor taste. historic cementaries no longer in use are one thing, but active cemetaries with with micro's hidden in trees next to fresh gravesites are abhorrent. again, to each his own, but that's how i feel.

We have not had issues with cemetery caches in Nebraska. The locals know to place them respectfully and not on or at grave sites. There are several here that are quite educational because they provide history on the cache page. Of course there are also some mundane ones, but the ones I have seen were respectfully placed.

We also have a particularly nice one here in Lincoln at a very old and large cemetery that also has several park areas. The cemetery likes to bill themsleves as a place for recreation in the park type areas and as a historical reference. So they hold history tours and also have Shakespeare plays in a historic barn on the property. They also have a hidden urban wetlands and pond area that the local bird watchers enjoy, but few others are aware of. It sits in a low area surrounded by busy urban areas, but cannot be seen from the streets. People drive right by each day with no clue it exists! I found it by accident one day when I parked in one of the very few areas where it could be seen and was amazed it was there! Of course I immediately started thinking that it needed a cache! Someone else put one there before I got around to looking into it.

The cemetery welcomed the cache there and happily gave permission. It starts at a sun dial in their parking area, and then using info from that, has the cache in the wetlands. In the process of driving to the wetlands a person gets to see what is a very nice cemetery full of some of the largest trees in Lincoln (although unfortunately some were damaged last year from a thunderstorm micro-burst/mini tornado, micro-burst does not mean a burst of caches). Then they get to learn of a place that they likely did not know about and would be surprised at.

Here is the cache I really enjoyed it. :)

Edited by carleenp

The Grand Exhalted Order of the Indiana Spirit Quest has just hidden its 400th Cemetery Cache... It's ALL ABOUT RESPECT!!!

Indiana Spirit Quest #400 Fallen Hero

If you want to look at others in the series there is a bookmark list as well on this page for ISQ Caches 301-400

One of the things this group likes to do (I own seven ISQ Caches) is to incorporate local history, genealogy, and most especially military graves. I have one Revolutionary War veteran site, and I spend hours walking old cemeteries looking for the oldest war veterans.

I go through about 50-100 Medium sized "Grave flags" per month, while I am out caching, I replace faded, worn and broken flags on grave sites... local Veterans groups GIVE us some of the flags.

I have even been approached by a member of a local Sons/Daughters of the American Revolution Chapter about GPS'ing the coordinates of all the Rev War Burial Sites in my area.

Another request was made by my local historical society to get GPS coords for all the old, abandoned, and family cemeteries in my county. Genealogists and family history hunters in my area are beginning to see how the GPS information can be benefical to them.

It is unfortunate that some people are SO short sighted. I have been in more OLD cemeteries where it is apparent that no one else has been there in a VERY LONG time, unless people have a reason to go there they will soon disappear and be lost to the elements.

Really, I placed a cache in the cemetery where my dad is the trustee, in six months it has logged 24 visits, that is about one a week, that hardly seems like an overabundant increase in traffic to the cemetery.

Oh well, just my 2 cents,

Diana

I have even been approached by a member of a local Sons/Daughters of the American Revolution Chapter about GPS'ing the coordinates of all the Rev War Burial Sites in my area.

That would be a *wonderful* project. Did you know that there is already a free platform available for it? You reminded me that I'm late in logging two new waymarks in the Revolutionary War Veterans' Graves Category at Waymarking.com.

I know, this is a spin off thread.

Okay, how do you feel about cemetery caches, do cachers hunting them show respect? I see no problems with caches in a cemetery, I own 4 myself.

This thread is to discuss cemetery caches, and respect for the property.

Of my finds, 105 have been in cemeteries. (Indiana and Ohio cachers seem to be fond of hiding caches in cemeteries.) 61 of my finds have been after dark. (Yes, I keep track.) I won't search for a cemetery cache after dusk or before dawn. In some places it is illegal to be in a cemetery during non-daylight hours.

Of those 105 cemetery finds, five or six were placed in what I consider disrespectful or inappropriate ways (generally too close to or on a grave marker or headstone).

I have only found about 20 of the "Indiana Spirit Quest" series of caches so far, but every one of those have been respectfully placed. The series highlights historical cemeteries and a lot of research has been put into the cache page write-ups.

That would be a *wonderful* project. Did you know that there is already a free platform available for it? You reminded me that I'm late in logging two new waymarks in the Revolutionary War Veterans' Graves Category at Waymarking.com.

:unsure: My Job Hamblin Revoltionary War Soldier ISQ Cemetery Cache (GCQPMM) is already cross posted as a Waymark (WM22Z). This is the site I used when talking to the SAR/DAR folks, the ones I talked to LOVED IT!

Usually after someone logs the cache, I will email them the Waymark information - and I have it posted just above the hint. :lol:

Edited by Bean Blossom Gang

I've done more than few cemetery caches and I like them. None have been what I'd call disrespectful. I've even done one that was in a flower holder on a grave. Before you get all riled up, it was the grave of the hiders father. Of my limited number of hides, 7, 1 is a multi that takes you to a particular grave of a somewhat historic individual and then leads you to the cache. Another one is in a public park- which happens to have about 4 graves in it that most cachers will pass by while on the way to the cache from parking.

I recently stumbled across what was a smaller family plot at a state conservation area in an off-trail area. The only way you would know it was there was a metal sign (similar to a historic marker) indicating that there are a number of graves in the immediate area. There are no other markers or monuments present. I would love to hang a bison tube micro on the sign but it is really tough to get permission for hides in these areas here. Geocaching would be a great way to bring awareness as to sites such as these.

I have stated my opinion in the past, and shall reiterate.

Obviously, opinions on this subject vary. I consider it disrespectful to the dearly departed to place or seek a cache in a cemetery. "Hey, in what year did he die? Hey, don't walk on his grave!" Goodness gracious. Isn't this a lot of fun!

We all have our beliefs. Cemetery caches violate mine. Anyone stepping on my grave to see in which year I died is welcomed to join me, where ever I might be.

The word I'm seeking is 'macabre'.

There is one cemetery cache on my nearby list, which I will never seek. The fact that the final cache was an imitation human skull only makes it worse. Personally, I think that they should not be permitted. Cemetery caches disgust me.

Cemeteries are used by a variety of people for reasons outside mourning. You will find bird watchers, joggers, history buffs, photographers, dog walkers, tombstone rubbers, geneologists and others using cemeteries on any given day. Historically, cemeteries were a place for family outings. Some older cemeteries still have picnic tables.

Cemeteries are a an excellent way to learn about the history of your area. You can tell a lot about the attitudes towards death at certain points in history simply by looking at headstones. Cemeteries are an historic treasure.

Considering all this, there is no reason geocachers should't be included among respectful users of cemeteries.

Last spring I thought about starting a thread (or something) somewhere and ask people to submit links to their favorite tombstone photo/s that they took and provide the coordinates. This, although simple, is one of the most unique ones I have in my cemetery cache sequences.

I’m utterly amazed at the artistic quality and imagination that has gone into many of the old stones especially. Some are like small houses! I cannot imagine how much they must have cost, let alone weigh! Some look like solid granite. Notice sometime that nearly every stone is unique, different than all the others.

I have heard that the men that quarry granite do so at their peril. The work is so grueling that it nearly destroys them. The person (a rockhound who lives near a granite quarry in MN) told me that the conditions are enough to make a grown man cry. Knowledge of that has given me a new appreciation for all the stones.

Last spring I discovered that one I thought was made of rock was made of cast aluminum. Once I made that discovery I began seeing that type all over the place. Fun! :unsure:

-it

By the way, I am probably misconstruing a post or two here but, geocaching aside, is it of the opinion of some that no one be allowed in a cemetery unless they there to visit a grave of someone in particular? If that is the case then why such eloquent stones? Having the grounds be off limits to most would seem like such a shame to me; again, geocaching aside.

Edited by Iowa Tom

GCQX22 is a history lesson about the girl buried in this cemetery. Pepole have been leaving coins on her marker ever since she was buried there. See, she was killed by a train and only had coins in her pocket so people leave coins to help her on her way. The cemetery uses the money to upkeep the area. If anything, drawing geocachers in the area increases the coin drops!

I am in the midst of placing a traditional cache in a cemetery and it will also be a history lesson. My current hold up is permission from the city to place it! A cemetery cache is a neat way to learn from our past!

I am touched by the sensitivity of the GC community on this issue and have logged more than a few beauts. There is a local cacher, however, who gets approval by calling graveyards "little parks". It may simply be a ploy to gain quick approval or a little subterfuge to confuse us. These "little parks" are basically park and grab micros with no historical(except to kin)/geographic significance. I am put off by drive-by placements, but hunt them none-the-less.

Cemeteries are a wonderful information resource. I can see no reason not to use a cemetery for one or more stages of a multi or puzzle cache.

Physical placement of a cachebox in a currently active cemetery is a different matter. That obviously risks offending the sensitivities of bereaved people who may already be very severely stressed emotionally.

In the case of a long disused cemetery, defined in English law, I believe, as 99 years having elapsed since the death of close family members of the deceased who are buried therein, it should simply be a matter of obtaining verifiable permission from the owner/operator of the graveyard.

If the cemetery is still being used or has recently been used for burials, then it's probably best to find an alternative location for a physical cache.

You probably wouldn't play frisbee or football in such a place, so why any other physical game/sport?

I've found many cemetary caches and haven't had issues with them. I do like to know if it's in a cemetary so if I'm making a cache run I know to go there before dark. There's much history that we can learn in a cemetary if we take the time to look around.

One cemetary I visited in the DC area had people utilizing it more as a park. People were walking their dogs, children were riding skateboards down pathways, bikers were zipping by, and kids were riding down the hills on various riding toys. To me, those activities are more disrespectfull than a cacher making a quick run into a cemetary. But that's how I see it.

We've done several cemetery caches and in my opinion all of them were respectfully placed. Usually along a wall that surrounds the cemetery, in a tree or something of that nature. We always stay on paths and never walk over any of the gravesites. Usually after finding the cache we'll walk around a bit looking at all the old dates or memorials, if there is any. There's a series of caches in my area called, "For Those Who Served....". These caches take you to old war graveyards and memorials and you can get a great history lesson at most of the places. I think it's a great way to pay your respects to fallen soldiers. If it weren't for these caches I probably wouldn't visit these sites.

Krazymtbr

One of my hobbies is genealogy, which occasionaly causes me to (gasp) walk through cemeteries looking for gravestones. And believe it or not, I take my GPSr with me so when I find the grave of a relative, I can waypoint it and record the info in my database.

I've done cemetery caches, and you know what? I DID EXACTLY THE SAME THING -- walk through cemeteries looking for stones.

It's not disrespectful, illegal, or immoral. Suggesting otherwise is simply foolish. If gravestone weren't meant to be located and read, why do they all have words carved into them?

Obviously anything can be done in a cemetery in poor taste - from cache placement to letting your dog pee on a headstone. Respect is the key word, whether you're visiting for genealogy purposes, geocaching, or walking your dog.

I myself have a cemetery cache hidden as a multi. There is one physical cache container in a wooded area on the edge of the cemetery, nowhere near any graves but on the cemetery grounds. To locate it you need to start at a particular spot and use a compass to locate different gravestones in order to gather numbers for the final coordinates. Everyone who does the cache loves it, because it's different and respectful. Even the groundskeeper enjoys watching the cachers make their rounds; he's fully aware of the cache and what folks are doing.

No harm is being done to anyone or anything by my cache being there. If someone chooses not to hunt it because it's a "cemetery cache", that's fine with me. To each their own.

There's a series of caches in my area called, "For Those Who Served....". These caches take you to old war graveyards and memorials and you can get a great history lesson at most of the places. I think it's a great way to pay your respects to fallen soldiers. If it weren't for these caches I probably wouldn't visit these sites.

Krazymtbr

Exactly. See my log for Those Who Served - Bethlehem.

Edited by briansnat
We all have our beliefs.  Cemetery caches violate mine.  Anyone stepping on my grave to see in which year I died is welcomed to join me, where ever I might be. 

Might I suggest, then, that you consider cremation? If people walking in the grass over your final resting place to read your gravestone will cause you so much angst in the afterlife, you might not want to have a gravestone to begin with. Not to mention the groundskeeper, who will be (respectfully, of course) running over you with a lawnmower at least once a week in the summer. :anibad:

I especially enjoy caches with a historical theme, and I think that some geocaches can involve cemetery visits and not be an issue at all. Making more people aware of the importance of preserving old cemeteries is a good thing. Some examples of geocaches that took me to cemeteries and are IMHO above reproach:

Minutemen in Tucker

The Master

Van Dorn

I think a number of factors determine the appropriateness of these caches:

1) the tone of the cache page and the context of the cemetery visit in the cache hunt,

2) To what extent is the cemetery "public"? That question has some finer points, not just "who owns the real estate?" and "does the public have legal access?".

3) Is there a historical theme, or a theme of paying respect to a particular individual or group?

FWIW, CharlieP

Edited by CharlieP

I placed a multi-stage cache in a local cemetery

Evergreen's Stories

This cache is a local history lesson. I spent a lot of time researching each story and assembling the stages. I received permission and have never had a complaint that it is in any way disrespectful. I have done other caches in cemeteries and all have provided a thoughtful glimpse into the past.

Like those who fervently hate micros with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns, every cache will have it's detractors. If you have a problem with an appropriately placed cache in a cemetery, don't go.

Our small town (barely 10K this last census) has a cemetary that is about 3/4 decorated with flags at Memorial day. They have a wonderful row of large flags up the drive into the place. I have taken some wonderful pics of the sun setting behind the flags, with the wind rippling them out a bit. Really pretty! It would be disrespectful to me if the town (who turn out by the dozens!) didn't walk all over and place the flags. Kids from scouting (boys and girls both) run all over afterwards collecting the flags.

I have taken my girls for walks in the cemetary, just to read the stones and markers. Based on the years and ages of the people you can tell whether they were in a war, died of disease (like children with measles) or just were really old! My grandmother was two weeks shy of 98 when she died, and I would be proud of someone reading her dates and saying, "Dang she was a tough old bat!" - because she was!

One of the stones in our cemetary has a beautiful portrait painted on it. I have not really taken the time to go look at it - it is one of the newer ones, but from a distance I can see that it is really pretty. There are also some with really ornate carvings too...

I think that if I were to have a cache in a cemetary, it would be a virtual/historical, mainly because of the history our town has...I would love to see that prairie place!

I have found dozens of cemetery caches, and never felt that the hider nor I was doing anything disrespectful. I have learned bits of history I never knew, and visited parts of my city and others I probably would not have seen if there wasn't a cache there. One of the best was the Oakwood Cemetery Cache. In this case the owner opted to place the final stage outside the cemetery boundary. I didn't even know we had a Veterans Memorial Cemetery here until I used a stone in it as a LC target recently.

Another amazing one I visited while on vacation in CO a few years back is: History in Stone 4. It's a multi virtual, but there were plenty of places for a container to be placed. As was posted earlier-the craftsmanship of some of the stones is breathtaking.

And to add a very slight digression-visit Boston and watch entire classes of school children make rubbings in the historic burial grounds of Adams, Revere etc. Is that learning about history, and keeping it alive; or being disrespectful of a final resting place of the physical nature?

You probably wouldn't play frisbee or football in such a place, so why any other physical game/sport?

I grew up playing football in a local cemetery because it was the nearest patch of grass around. The groundskeeper would wave whenever he passed us.

Every year, just before Halloween, there is a 5K charity race held in Cincinnati. The race is called "The Run Like Hell" and is sponsored by a local radio station and benefits the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. This year was the 14th running of the race. The race is "Halloween-themed" and many people race in costumes. There is a party after the race.

What does this have to do with this thread? Well the race is run in the dark -- it begins at 7pm, and a good portion of the route winds through a large cemetery -- with the support of the cemetery administration and groundskeeper. There are volunteers positioned in the cemetery to keep the runners on the course.

Some would say that having a race, at night, through a cemetery is disrespectful. Some would counter that this particular event is for a good cause, so therefore it is alright. Others would say that it is never ok to be in a cemetery for recreational purposes, or after dark, etc. However, this event has gone on for 14 years so obviously TPTB and, more importantly, the community are ok with it. Different communities have different beliefs and ideas of what is acceptable and what is not.

Different communities have different beliefs and ideas of what is acceptable and what is not.

Yea, some communities put cinnamon in chili a meat "sauce" and serve it over spaghetti topped with cheddar cheese too. :laughing::huh::P

Fixed. :laughing: While living in Cincinnati, I developed a taste for "Cincinnati-style chili". It is good, but it isn't chili in any shape for form.

On-topic: Having found over 100 cemetery caches in IL, OH MI and IN, and having been through a lot of cemeteries prior to caching, only once have I seen a posted sign at a cemetery forbidding recreation. That was at a Catholic cemetery in Bloomington, IL (and, no, there isn't a cache there).

Different communities have different beliefs and ideas of what is acceptable and what is not.

Yea, some communities put cinnamon in chili and serve it over spaghetti too. :laughing::huh::P

You mean, there are other chilis out there! :laughing:

On topic, I have one cemetery cache that is hidden where you can retrieve the cache even if the cemetery is closed. I have had no complaints about its placement. I think it can be very tastefully done and I enjoy sharing the history of my town with others.

We have also found three cemetery caches, and each had a unique draw to the site. All were placed respectfully and I enjoyed the history lessons!

That being said, I love Skyline Chili! I grew up in Cincinnati. Anyone want to send me some??

Momma Marauder

We all have our beliefs.  Cemetery caches violate mine.  Anyone stepping on my grave to see in which year I died is welcomed to join me, where ever I might be. 

Might I suggest, then, that you consider cremation? If people walking in the grass over your final resting place to read your gravestone will cause you so much angst in the afterlife, you might not want to have a gravestone to begin with. Not to mention the groundskeeper, who will be (respectfully, of course) running over you with a lawnmower at least once a week in the summer. :(

Why, thank you! How kind of you to make that suggestion! I've always considered cemeteries to be a waste of open space anyway. Where shall we bury the 265 million Americans now alive? How long before the entire country is one large cemetery?