Firearms In The Woods?

willyum

Often you can distract a North American Black Bear by tossing marshmallows or Fig Newtons at them. If that doesn't work then play dead.

:D I don't know if I could keep from defecating myself while digging out the box of fig newtons. I would like to think I could be cool and pitch one at a time but I would likely panic and hastily heave the whole package in the bear's general direction and run like heck!

Often you can distract a North American Black Bear by tossing marshmallows or Fig Newtons at them.  If that doesn't work then play dead.

:D I don't know if I could keep from defecating myself while digging out the box of fig newtons. I would like to think I could be cool and pitch one at a time but I would likely panic and hastily heave the whole package in the bear's general direction and run like heck!

You don't really need to be able to run like heck.

You just need to be able to run faster then your caching partner.

It's kind of amusing that a probable sock puppet (willyum) can get his kind of response from an obvious troll baiting topic.  Why give in?  Just say no!  :lol:

Seems pretty civil on both sides, so far. About the same as most other times the topic has come up. Micros in the woods generate more heat on this forum.

So...why not? If nothing else, my local cachers now know I have a honking big chrome .357 on the nightstand and a low threshold of anxiety :rolleyes:

Often you can distract a North American Black Bear by tossing marshmallows or Fig Newtons at them.  If that doesn't work then play dead.

This i getting off topic a bit, but I don't know if I'd suggest this maneuver. It might encorauge a hungry bear to keep coming after you!

A while back ago I remember seeing a TV show where they discussed how to handle bears under 2 special circumstances: a momma bear with cub, and a hungry bear.

:rolleyes:1.) Momma & Cub: Walk backwards very slowly talking very calmly. If you run, she might chase and you ain't out running a bear. You also can't out climb one. So the best idea is to get away from the scene slowly, but don't turn your back on the bear. If the bear attacks, crawl into a fetal position and probably pray.

:lol:2.) Hungry Bear: If you find yourself being followed by a bear, especially one that seems to be sniffing around, you could have a hungry bear on you. Try to get away from the bear quickly (though I don't know if I'd recommend running), and get out of the woods if you can. But remember you can't out run a bear. If the bear looks like it's about to attack you, do not get in a fetal position. Afterall, this bear is trying to eat you! So don't make it easy. Instead, spread out your arms wide and make lots of noise. The idea is too make yourself look bigger, meaner, and/or too much trouble to eat.

With my crappy memory, I can't promise I am correct about how to handle them, so I encourage anyone who is worried to please look this up (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Afterall, I don't want anyone becomeing snacks for Yogi on my account. :(

Frankly, I hope to one day carry a firearm. I just need to get the funds togther for the firearm, the classes, and the permits.

Edited by txknight
It's kind of amusing that a probable sock puppet (willyum)

I'm not really sure what a sock puppet is where you are, but here that's what teen boys use to avoid making a mess. And I assure you I am not one of those and I'm also not a troll. I thought my co-workers were a little overboard and was ready to chalk it up to being from New York. From the looks of things, it's about the same all over except, what I didn't expect was that people seemed to be more concerned about other people more than animals. I was not 'for' or 'against', mine was a question of genuine concern. I'm an EMT in the Fire Dept and spent most of my 13 years in Manhatten, In the 90's I use to have at least 2 gunshot victims a week. Some dead, some alive, some on thier last breath, and a lot of the time we get on scene before PD. I work in between the criminals and PD so I both, respect and fear Guns.

Thank you all for your input.

Ive just recently started geocaching, but was military (usmc 0311 , infantry) for a handful of years, Ive backpacked all over the country. Ive never felt the need to carry a firearm into the woods. Do your research on the area your going to do your activity. Ive had encounters with black and brown bears, but following proper procedures it has always worked out good. I dont even think about it anymore. And if you did find yourself facing a Grizz I dont think anything less than a 44 Mag would help you before he pounced you. Let alone trying to hit a moving target with a hand gun is no easy task, even if it is coming right at you.

Id actually feel more the need in urban locations than in wilderness locations.

Well there was one time in the Sequoia Natl Forest where some havelina were after me, luckily I remembered they are almost blind.

I'm not really sure what a sock puppet is where you are, but here that's what teen boys use to avoid making a mess. And I assure you I am not one of those and I'm also not a troll. I thought my co-workers were a little overboard and was ready to chalk it up to being from New York. From the looks of things, it's about the same all over except, what I didn't expect was that people seemed to be more concerned about other people more than animals. I was not 'for' or 'against', mine was a question of genuine concern. I'm an EMT in the Fire Dept and spent most of my 13 years in Manhatten, In the 90's I use to have at least 2 gunshot victims a week. Some dead, some alive, some on thier last breath, and a lot of the time we get on scene before PD. I work in between the criminals and PD so I both, respect and fear Guns.

In looking at your previous posts, you certainly have a very good understanding of geocaching and GPS mapping skills for someone that hasn't logged a single cache on the GC website?

Willyum,

A Sock Puppet is a dummy account. It's primary use is to speak where the true identity of the person is intended to remain secret. That way a person can say things they normally wouldn't say.

As far as whether or not this account is a sock puppet? The administrators have not seen any evidence of that at this time, and I am not sure if any of us are looking that deep.

As far as this topic? yes, it has been know to ruffle some feathers between those who feel they have to and those who feel that shouldn't have to. It's been a civil conversation and not reason to close it.... yet.

Thanks folks, you may now return to your normal programming.

In looking at your previous posts, you certainly have a very good understanding of geocaching and GPS mapping skills for someone that hasn't logged a single cache on the GC website?

I've used a GPS for everything BUT going into the woods so far. Prior to my new GPSMap 60CS I had a GPS III Plus that I have used to travel to different countries over the last 10 years so I could get back to the hotel if I didn't know the language. I just recently learned about Geocaching which propmted the new purchase. Quite honestly, I still have not found any one to go caching, hiking, camping or Backpacking with me and that's because I live in 'The Hood'. Generally when I ask people around here if they want to go camping or treasure hunting (I don't say Geocaching for the obvious reasons) they usually just pause and look at me as if they are waiting for the punch-line. The people at work are co-workers, not friends.

When I do work up the nerve to go to Bear mountain I will most likely be going alone. I don't have a circle of friends to set me straight about proper 'woods' etiquette, That's why I asked here. Sorry to stir the stew. I'll try to find a camping forum for any further questions like this.

Willyum

Your question is valid and it is in the appropriate forum. Your profile is void of any real information as to your location or experience with caching, but that is not a crime at all.

I would look for other cachers in your area. We don't know where you are, so nobody can make any recomendations.

As far as no finds logged? I know people that never log thiers. Again, there's no harm there.

- MM

Quite honestly, I still have not found any one to go caching, hiking, camping or Backpacking with me and that's because I live in 'The Hood'.

There are some great caches in even the biggest cities, though I confess my taste runs to ammo cans the woods. Nonetheless, I've never done one that was a serious backpack or an all-night camping trip. I live in a medium-sized city and my favorites are in state parks around the edges of town, which hikes usually run from a tenth of a mile to six or seven miles each.

There really is no better way to explore your local area. I've found fantastic places on my doorstep that I never knew existed. And what a way to explore unfamiliar places!

Quite honestly, I still have not found any one to go caching, hiking, camping or Backpacking with me and that's because I live in 'The Hood'.

Living in NYC you have a great opportunity to get out there. There are a number of bus lines and trains that will take you to Harriman SP and the Catskills. There are also a lot of hiking clubs in the area. If your friends aren't into it look into some of the many area hiking clubs, some of which are based in NYC.

Check out this link and you will find a group of like minded people who are in the same situation.

Different strokes for different folk. Don't make me do what you don't want to. I choose to carry a gun most of the time. You choose to drive a car, I choose to carry a gun. As long as it is legal, in the area you live, who cares.

Let's not even talk about burning the Flag. :rolleyes:

Please keep this civil.

I don't think anyone was saying you can't carry a weapon if done in accordance with the law.

This thread is about preference and perspective, not about right and wrong.

Thanks folks

It all boils down to being prepared.

Like was said earlier, if you ask most of the people who carry a firearm how many times they've needed one, the answer would be the same as those who don't. Never.

Of course, if you ask those same people how many times they've needed a fire extinguisher, a smoke detector, a seat belt, or a first aid kit; the answer to that for most people will also be never.

How many people NEVER "need" their auto or home insurance?

How many people stock up when there is a bad storm coming, "just in case"?

Look, we have tons of threads here about what people carry in their packs while caching. People carry energy bars, space blankets, spare flashlights and batteries, first aid kits, ham radios, all sorts of stuff. All "just in case".

There is a thread running right now about carrying laminated emergency contact cards, "just in case".

Some people carry a weapon, "just in case".

Most of us will never need any of those things. We have them "just in case" because the very rare times you do need them, they can save your life.

I bet this 66yr old grandmother never actually thought she would need a firearm, but she did. And her and her grand-daughter are alive to talk about because she had one when she needed it.

Hey, bad things sometimes happen to good people. Those who prepare in advance, "just in case", usually come out better then those who don't.

willyum: Here's a picture of my daughter and our 4-footed protector, Buddy, on top of Bear Mountain. (That's Manhattan about 30 miles in the background - hard to see). Also, we hit Harriman Park that day too, another nearby place you ought to cache in. Sure glad I took Buddy for protection. Never know who or what you might run into. Don't know if you'll need your Glock. But take tick protection - you got more to fear with Lyme desease than lead poisoning. Welcome to geocaching. :rolleyes:

428a9042-667f-473c-a9d1-a24e3af39319.jpg

Mopar wrote:

I bet this 66yr old grandmother never actually thought she would need a firearm, but she did. And her and her grand-daughter are alive to talk about because she had one when she needed it.

Sorry, but I just gotta say it. If that had been a dangerous person instead of a scared, unarmed, 22year old kid, the outcome could have been much different, I think. The grandmother should have gotten out of the house with her granddaughter and not gone looking for the intruder. If that hand gun hadn't given her a false sense of security I expect that would have been what she would have done and been much safer.

What is it about guns that drives up the posts?  67 posts in a few hours!!

Be glad they're not talking about politics, religion, or how old a person's daughter should be before they can date.

Whats wrong with a good Republican, Christian, 16 year old girl that carries a gun while geocaching? :rolleyes:

You've met Moose Mob's daughter too?

Yeah great move grandma. If I came home and thought someone had broken in I would not be reanacting Goldie Lox and the Three bears seeing if someone had eaten my porridge. Her first move should have been go next door and call the police. She's lucky he didn't take the gun from her. In that situation she should have left it to the professionals.

Can't get over this one quote

"He was 6 feet tall," she said. "He could have done something horrible my granddaughter and me.
Lets see he was inside the house and they were outside, safe for the moment, by going back in the house she only suceeded in placing herself at risk for this fantasy.

But what do I know I work in sales, perhaps someone in law enforcement would care to give a professional opinion.

Show me an incident involving a Geocacher fendng off someone in the woods and then we talk.

Edited by magellan315

If I sound cynical its because it reminds me of an old roomate who had three handguns and an assualt rifle in the house. Needed them for personal protection. When the neighborhood started having day time break ins he had a tough time understanding that no one wanted to come home in the middle of one only to have the burglar point a weapon at us. Easily done, 357 under the bed, 9mm, 45, and the assualt rifle in bag in the living room.

She's lucky he didn't take the gun from her. In that situation she should have left it to the professionals.

Uhm, he tried to. That's what got him shot.

She's lucky she had the gun or he might have killed her on the spot.

I always laugh at the whole "the bad guy will take the gun away from you and use it against you" bit. If that where the case, just take it back again! :rolleyes:

Show me an incident involving a Geocacher fendng off someone in the woods and then we talk.

And how often do geocachers get lost in the woods for a week? Yet many of them prepare for it.

I can think of a fairly recent post here in the forums where a large strange man tried to attack a woman and her daughters while caching. She's very lucky she didn't die. Even looking at the recent incident that happened to Nerves. Here she is, injured and stranded in the woods, and this weirdo didn't help her. What if he had been just a little weirder? Could she have defended herself or ran away with a broken ankle? You really think if that little old lady wasnt armed that 6'2 "scared kid" who was already the subject of a manhunt would have just asked for milk and cookies?

I'm not going to drag this off-topic. Nerves' accident is a PERFECT example of preparing for the unknown. While she was laying there in the woods, unable to run, that guy could have raped her, or worse. Can you think of any other defense with a better chance of sucess if that had been the case?

I'm looking for an actual Geocacher uses gun to protect themselves from a criminal, while caching. Not some what/if/maybe situation

As for Grandma, she had to retreive her gun, the question is from where, inside the house, who knows. I still believe the woman was foolish for placing herself at risk, she should have left the search of the house to the police.

Edited by magellan315
I'm looking for an actual Geocacher uses gun to protect themselves from a criminal, while caching. Not some what/if/maybe situation.

But isn't the whatifs and maybes what this thread is about?

Just 4 days ago you yourself posted this:

For caches that involve more of a hike I have a basic kit that fits into a fanny pack. The most important thing to do is make sure someone knows where you are going and what time you will call them at.

For basic geocaches I would carry the following things.

1. Whitsle - Get the type that does not have the "pea" in it, they are much louder and can be heard from a mile away. You'll yell yourself hoarse long before you run out of breath from blowing a whistle.

2. Cell phone - But remember you may not always get signal, on the other hand you can hand it someone and tell them to keep going down the trail until they do.

3. First aid kit - Make your own, some gauze pads and band aids in a small tupperware will always come in for you or someone else.

4. Knife/multi tool - A 1001 and one uses, some you'll never even think of until youneed it.

5. 2 or 3 trash bags, like the type you use to bag leaves, folded up in a small square and stuffed in your bag. Its a poncho, a shelter.

6. Above all maintain a positive mental attitude, panic makes people do stupid things.

I'd suggest you read this book. This is wilderness survival for dummies books. Dispels a lot of myths, written in simple terms, and deals in how to survive long enough for someone to find you. It does not get bogged down in how to snare wild animals and other stuff that requires reall training

How many cachers have ever needed a trashbag to make a shelter?

Has any cacher ever used a whistle to signal for help?

And how many cachers have had use for the "wilderness survival for dummies" book?

Come on, the point is many of us (you included, it seems) like to be prepared for unlikely emergencies. Carrying a weapon is just part of that. People who do pray to god they never even have to remove it from the holster, but if that time ever comes you will be glad you had it.

Speaking of signaling and whistles: 3 gunshots is a universal distress signal, and can be heard miles further then any yell or whistle.

...As for Grandma, she had to retreive her gun, the question is from where, inside the house, who knows. I still believe the woman was foolish for placing herself at risk, she should have left the search of the house to the police.

There are exactly two facts. The 22 year old shouldn't of been in her home and she was within her rights to search it. Everthing else is opinion. If I think someone is in my house I'm going to search it. Not because I want to jump some punk kid, but because I'm not going to call the police for every stupid little thing that goes bump in the night like the neighbor kid who rings the doorbell at 3am and thinks it's funny.

I'm looking for an actual Geocacher uses gun to protect themselves from a criminal, while caching. Not some what/if/maybe situation.

But isn't the whatifs and maybes what this thread is about?

Just 4 days ago you yourself posted this:

For caches that involve more of a hike I have a basic kit that fits into a fanny pack. The most important thing to do is make sure someone knows where you are going and what time you will call them at.

For basic geocaches I would carry the following things.

1. Whitsle - Get the type that does not have the "pea" in it, they are much louder and can be heard from a mile away. You'll yell yourself hoarse long before you run out of breath from blowing a whistle.

2. Cell phone - But remember you may not always get signal, on the other hand you can hand it someone and tell them to keep going down the trail until they do.

3. First aid kit - Make your own, some gauze pads and band aids in a small tupperware will always come in for you or someone else.

4. Knife/multi tool - A 1001 and one uses, some you'll never even think of until youneed it.

5. 2 or 3 trash bags, like the type you use to bag leaves, folded up in a small square and stuffed in your bag. Its a poncho, a shelter.

6. Above all maintain a positive mental attitude, panic makes people do stupid things.

I'd suggest you read this book. This is wilderness survival for dummies books. Dispels a lot of myths, written in simple terms, and deals in how to survive long enough for someone to find you. It does not get bogged down in how to snare wild animals and other stuff that requires reall training

And how many cachers have had use for the "wilderness survival for dummies" book?

Come on, the point is many of us (you included, it seems) like to be prepared for unlikely emergencies. Carrying a weapon is just part of that. People who do pray to god they never even have to remove it from the holster, but if that time ever comes you will be glad you had it.

Speaking of signaling and whistles: 3 gunshots is a universal distress signal, and can be heard miles further then any yell or whistle.

Mopar, you've convinced me. I'm going to pack a weapon in my survival kit; like you said it can be used as an effective distress signal.

If I'm not mistaken, this topic is about packing while geocaching in the woods, or something like that. Survival in the wilderness is a totally different thing. If I was heading into the wilderness for a 60 day survival adventure, I would want to have a weapon. If I was heading into a situation like that, my survival kit would be very different from the one I carry for overnighters or day trips.

But then, I don't get out much. :ph34r::(

An interesting question would be, "How many cachers have ever needed a weapon while caching in the woods (or elsewhere)?"

What? You have never had the temptation to poke a hole in a beer can with a boom stick? This is a rite of passage! 

Of course it is, and of course I have had the temptation. And I have poked a few holes in a few beer cans with some pretty big boom sticks. But that temptation doesn't mean I need a firearm.

Shucks, the last time that happened (right after I found the cache), I just set up three Coors Light cans on the ammo box right in front of the tree and pinned them with my three big Bucks. :(:ph34r:

An interesting question would be, "How many cachers have ever needed a weapon while caching in the woods (or elsewhere)?"

Oh, I can answer that one!

ME!

Along with Planet, IV Warrior, and several other cachers.

As is most often the case, the simple realization that one in our party was armed had the poor misunderstood yutes mutants off looking for easier targets to rob. No shots fired. Nobody died. And most important, none of our party was robbed or injured.

edit: As a matter of fact, after going back and reading her logs, I'm not entirely sure that even now Planet has any idea what almost happened that night.

Edited by Mopar

Mopar, Since your going to use one of my posts, allow me to answer those questions.

Raises hand. While caching in New Mexico I drove up a mountain, went from the desert and highs in the 80's to to 9000 ft above sea level and highs in the low to mid 50's. With a mile and half to back to my vehicle it started to rain hard. Trash bag became a rain jacket.

. Raises hand again, where do you think I learned to carry the trash bags.

How much ammo do you normally carry? The whistle I carry, a Fox-40, can be heard from a mile away, and I can blow it as long as I have breath. Do you have enough ammo to fire your gun for as long as I can blow my whistle?

Three gun shots may be a universal sign, not many people will know that or even assume your doing anything other than hunting, to say nothing of the distortion from echo and reverb. The whistle is a shrill, unuusal noise. I can carry my whistle everywhere I go, no permit, or training required.

Not me, but the hiker, a woman in her mid-50's, I ran into at the ranger station at the New Mexico mountain top could have used one. She had gotten seperated from the other two people she was with in fog thick enough that you couldn't see 20 feet ahead of you. They went left she went right and got seperated. An hour later the rangers found th other two. She could have used one, yelling for them didn't work.

How about the first aid kit, you ask. Used it just a few weeks ago, on a hiker who had cut one of their fingers and need some band-aids.

As far as a gun, like septic tank said, maybe if I was in long term wilderness situation.

Edited by magellan315
My sidearm is always in the truck. If I don't feel safe at a location (cache), I don't get out. No sense making the situation worse. 

:ph34r:

Amen to that.

The wife and I were discussing this last night. We live out in the sticks and were hitting some urban/city caches last night...we like the dark.

We were amazed at some of the places we see people in the city at night. Places I wouldn't get out w/ a loaded shotgun w/ the safety off. I guess it's where they live...it's home.

On the flipside.....those people would never dare get out in the dark woods in the country, 25 miles from anything to find a tupperware sandwich container w/ a stamp in it. :(

I guess a lot of it is a matter of perspective.

What is it about guns that drives up the posts?  67 posts in a few hours!!

Be glad they're not talking about politics, religion, or how old a person's daughter should be before they can date.

Whats wrong with a good Republican, Christian, 16 year old girl that carries a gun while geocaching?
;)

NOTHING! Thats why I married her when she turned 24 and they decided she was old enuff to date. :(

Matt ;)

Edited by Lizooki
Really the term you're looking for is probably "overprepared." But that doesn't have the same sting as labeling us mentally ill  :(  By the same token, with 30 functional firearms you may be "overstocked."

HEY! :ph34r:

I resemble that remark! ;)

Yes overstocked is accurate. Just never cleaned out my stuff and added my fathers to it when he died... anyhow the original poster was talking about geocaching in Harriman State Park. It is a big area and it is steep and rocky and there are some bears and rattlesnakes there.... but it isn't Montana or Alaska. These are going to be day trips in an area laced with trails. Forced long term survival is not a likely senerio. It just isn't an area that I feel justifies carring a firearm. Bears will avoid you and you can avoid a snake. Bears can only be killed in the proper season .. with a license .. while wearing orange... etc... etc... etc.. I doubt if all this preparation is really necessary or really going to happen in this case. Rattlesnakes are endangered over much of the east and can not be killed legally in PA. I didn't look it up , but I doubt if they are a legal game in NY either. In my opinion, if an individual has enough fear of where he is going to feel the need of a gun, he probably shouldn't go there. I'm not against guns, but am afraid of what often happens when people carry them that are not trained in their use.

How much ammo do you normally carry? The whistle I carry, a Fox-40, can be heard from a mile away, and I can blow it as long as I have breath. Do you have enough ammo to fire your gun for as long as I can blow my whistle?

Three gun shots may be a universal sign, not many people will know that or even assume your doing anything other than hunting, to say nothing of the distortion from echo and reverb. The whistle is a shrill, unuusal noise. I can carry my whistle everywhere I go, no permit, or training required.

Not me, but the hiker, a woman in her mid-50's, I ran into at the ranger station at the New Mexico mountain top could have used one. She had gotten seperated from the other two people she was with in fog thick enough that you couldn't see 20 feet ahead of you. They went left she went right and got seperated. An hour later the rangers found th other two. She could have used one, yelling for them didn't work....

Interesting comments on the whistle. If I heard a whistle at first blush I'd think someone was training their dog. 3 Shots would get my attention. 3 More and I'd know something was up. It would take a bit more work to get me to realize that the whistle was more than a training program. This is because I've watched people use whistles for exactly that purpose. Guns, either plinking and hunting and I know those patterns. I don't know the patterns for dog training.

The whistle is in my pack 24/7 though. If I were looking for someone lost, then that whistle would be another thing entirly. I'd be looking for it and investigate all sounds.

Most training sessions in the boonies use short bursts. The fist sessions (where longere busrts are used) would typically be in or near town. I think a person would know the difference.

On the flip side, kids don't care. They'll whislte, scream, anything just because they like to hear themselves make noise.

A whistle would also get my attention of it went chirp-chirp-chirp tweet-tweet-tweet chirp-chirp-chirp.

We also have a lot of criminals and perverts.

Hey, leave me out of this.

You're always so sensitive when people mention perverts.

I've heard he has a problem keeping his cloths on in the woods. Eww! ;)

Now we know why he often hikes alone, eh?

Although I'm pretty sure Leatherman has been out with him more than once... Hmm...

Leatherman! GOOD to see you!

Interesting comments on the whistle. If I heard a whistle at first blush I'd think someone was training their dog. 3 Shots would get my attention. 3 More and I'd know something was up.

I'm the opposite. If I hear gunshots, even in groups of 3's I'll assume some is plinking or hunting. If I hear a whistle in groups of threes, I'll see it as a distress signal.

smell of food may make a bear curious.

Just a funny note, I'm in Indiana...we make funny bear jokes all the time (we don't have bears). I thought it was funny until I realized you are probably from where there ARE bears, and it's not so funny. Funny huh? How many times can I say funny in one post? Hmmm...how funny!

I'm in New Jersey and we have bears up the patootie. Bear jokes are still funny here.

BTW, if you don't have bear now, you will soon. If they are pawing through garbage within sight of the Empire State Building, they will certainly find a home in Indiana sooner or later.

Edited by briansnat

I carry a pistol in the car, locked and loaded within easy reach at a moments notice, 'cause if you need it and it's unloaded or in the glove box or under the seat, you don't in fact have it! If you ever need a gun it's liable to happen fast and unexpected and there will be no time to get ready.

However, though I do have a concealed carry permit I don't actually carry one on me - as noted earlier, if the situation makes me believe a gun might be needed, I don't go there!

I am, however, the only geocacher I know of who has been shot while geocaching, and a gun would have done me no good whatsoever!

Two years ago, going after a cache on an overgrown forest trail in Bibb County Al. I was walking along, minding my own business, when blap! I was on the grouund. I cache on crutches, having lost a leg, and fall in the woods a lot, but this was different...with no warning at all I hit the ground and, just as I did, I hear a rifle shot!

I started hollering things I can't print here, used my crutches to stand back up, and one of my crutches is bent, with a perfectly centered bullet dimple in the aluminum just below my left handgrip!

I never saw the shooter, he had to have been 150+ yards off based on the bullet-strike to report-sound timing and the fact that it didn't fully penetrate the aluminum tube, and he left the area when I started hollering, evidently too scared by his stupid act to come and see if I needed help.

To this day I suppose all he knows is he fired and somebody started hollering - he doesn't know if he killed someone or not. I hope his concience bothers him every single day of his life.

It taught me to wear an orange hat even when not hunting (I always wear at least the hat, sometimes an orange vest when hunting), but I still don't carry a gun in the woods unless I am hunting.

I do know of one incident that happened when I was hunting where a pistol came in handy - my friend Steve Hudson, now an engineer at Alabama Power Company, and I were hunting years ago in Greene County AL. He shot a nice buck with his rifle.

Thinking the deer dead he leaned his rifle against a tree and approached the deer.

Wounded but still quite alive and enraged, the buck jumped up and attacked Steve with his antlers. Steve, one of the few men I know who does carry a pistol in the woods, said he was running in high gear when he shot the deer again with his .357, pointing it over his shoulder as he ran! I know that to be a true story as I helped clean the deer and saw both bullets!

Y'all be careful out there!

Edited to add:

Yes, we have bears in Alabama, there is a family of them that lives in a wildlife mamagement area not far from me, and I have seen them dead on the roadside where trucks hit them, but after 45+ years of active hunting every year I have never seen one, nor can I imagine a scenario where I would need to shoot one.

But then, Steve probably never really thought he would need it, either!

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler